Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
elisjohn
12 Sep 20 20:58
| Topic/replies: 14,714 | Blogger: elisjohn's blog
my 1st was 73, very doubtful anyone in the 1950s id say, i did see a friendly in 1969  , ken furphy watford, but i mean a top league match or cup
Pause Switch to Standard View anyone on here ever been to a soccer...
Show More
Report JRAS September 16, 2020 6:06 PM BST
Just make it in to this. My first few games were at Portman Rd, the first on 18/11/69, Ipswich Town 1 Chelsea 4.I dont remember much about the game apart from us being down the front and dad lifting me over the fence and me sitting peering over the pitchside advertising hoarding with my brother who kept cheering at the wrong time because he was a Chelsea fan.
We also went to the Stoke game (1-1) the same season. Later in 70 we saw the game v Man U (4-0). Law, Best, and Charlton played in that game. Man U were awful but I saw those legends play.
Report elisjohn September 16, 2020 6:27 PM BST
that law best charlton team bar 67/ 68, to be honest were pretty  awful  .im sure that colin viljohn scored in that 4-0 game , who was ipswich manager in the early 70s ?
Report sparrow September 16, 2020 7:06 PM BST
Bobby Robson no less, elisjohn.
Report elisjohn September 16, 2020 10:15 PM BST
of course, of courseBlush
Report Llamedos September 16, 2020 10:55 PM BST
Most of Swindon Towns home games from 1964 onwards, Saturday morning picture show, swimming, then down to the County Ground, the stewards often used to let us sit on the running track. I was there for the 3 -1 victory against West Ham in the 3rd round reply of the FA Cup in 1967 , West Ham had their three world Cup stars playing, also at Wembley in 1969 for the League Cup Final win over Arsenal 3-1, all while they were in the Third Division, Don Rodgers was and still is one of my hero's, Ah those where the days, Jumpers for goalposts etc
Report JRAS September 17, 2020 1:06 PM BST
Ellisjohn. The late great Bobby Robson was Ipswich manager then.  Wilf McGuinness was ManU manager then.
Colin Viljoen got two in that game.
Report connor September 17, 2020 6:57 PM BST
First ever game was Cardiff vs Blackpool, Div 2 mid-week 1972 or 1973 at the old Ninian Park. I was going home to Ireland, missed a train and spent the night in Cardiff. Thought it would be an interesting experience!!

My memories of the game are all about the violence before, during and after the game. Don't remember the result!

First ever game in Scotland was Aberdeen vs Rangers, 1974. Fans throwing half bottles of whiskey to friends on the other side of the fence on the way in, before getting frisked by the police. By this time i'd seen a number of games but this was the first time I'd ever seen fighting start in the stands, behind the directors boxes. There was then a general melee on all sides of the ground, as far as I could see. Didn't even make the news....
Report LoyalHoncho September 17, 2020 10:59 PM BST
As I recall lockup there were three goals scored by goalkeepers that season.  Stepney started them off but did he not later become the victim of Pat Jennings.  The third one is a bit hazy but would it have been Jim Montgomery of Southampton?
I well remember George Best scoring a quite brilliant goal against Banks in a home international one Saturday afternoon - and it was disallowed.  Banks was bleating like a girl after Best out-thought ( and outplayed him ), perfectly legally.  There was no law or regulation at the time which made Best's action illegal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D8IW_3_6D8
Report brians September 17, 2020 11:37 PM BST
Seem to remember Steve Ogrizovitch scoring as a goalie for Coventry at Hillsborough in the 70 's . V Sheffield Wednesday.
Took a horrible bounce off the pitch and maybe the wind was a factor.
Report elisjohn September 18, 2020 10:11 AM BST
ive tried to find this on you tube for years, but i remember norman hunter i think it was, it defo was a leeds player around the 70s, he was under pressure very close  on his own goal line in front of the goal , and he did the drag back and beat the attacker, it was the coolest piece of defending ive ever seen, does anyone else recall this, it was on tv.
Report LoyalHoncho September 19, 2020 3:08 AM BST
I don't recall it elisjohn but I do readily remember the late, great Billy Bremner doing that same thing at Easter Road one night.  It took the breath away and the Leeds side, full of reserves for some reason, suddenly relaxed, grew in confidence and suddenly looked like a side, and went on to win a tie that Hibs thought they would have in the bag.  It was masterly!
Report cooperman September 21, 2020 10:40 AM BST
1957 I went with father to Deepdale to watch Preston North End v Arsenal. PNE had a good side then, Arsenal not so much. The stadium was packed and I remember at the back of the stand there were headphones so blind people could listen to a commentary of the game whilst enjoying the atmosphere.
Report twoquidew September 21, 2020 12:14 PM BST
I went with my father, who didn't particularly like football but I think was intrigued because Blackburn rovers were playing wolves. Derek Dougan was making a return to his old club after requesting a transfer on the day of the 1960 cup final from rovers to the their  opponents in this fixture.
I couldn't see much at all and had a very limited view because Ewood was understandably packed for the occasion. We won , I wasn't greatly impressed by the experience , although I came round to watching football  a few years later and I still love rovers, had a season ticket for many years prior to the jack walker era. Still have my 1977 ground season ticket , which cost £25, best 25 quid spent ever.l will shut up now because I sound old.
Report cooperman September 21, 2020 12:35 PM BST
I had a schoolmate who lived in Padiham and was a Burnley fan. I went with him a couple of times to Turf Moor, must have been about 1963/4, to watch  Clarets v Rovers. Seem to remember they both had decent sides back then.
Report twoquidew September 21, 2020 12:42 PM BST
They did indeed have decent sides back then cooperman and both rovers and Burnley were big players in the old first division. I went to turf moor a couple of times in the seventies , also watched rovers beat Burnley at Ewood a few times, notably when some of their fans demolished the Darwen end roof before the game was over and chucked the tiles on the pitch!
Shows what a state the ground was in at the time. Ironically I laid Leicester last night and couldn't trade out when Burnley scored last night because bf decided to have a site meltdown.  Funny old game isn't it Saint?
Report elisjohn September 21, 2020 2:34 PM BST
twoquid, i lost a packet on here last night not able to trade, ive emailed them and had a reply theyre looking into it, will let you know !
Report twoquidew September 21, 2020 2:59 PM BST
Cheers Eli's think I will do same
Report irishone September 22, 2020 11:12 PM BST
Burnleys top man was andy lockhead bald as a coote but a double handful in the air. They had a little winger as well, cant remember thename , pop robson comes to mind because they had the same.no hair style.
Report irishone September 22, 2020 11:42 PM BST
The epitomy of football in those days was this match
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvpVPXf1k4
Watch the last 15 minutes of extra time
Mcreadie attempts to take off Bremners head with a flying tackle five foot off the ground
Not even a booking.....
Report digdeep September 23, 2020 12:04 AM BST
used to go to Arsenal with my Uncle and his mates as kid saw Mathews,Finley.Lofthouse and Can only remember one Arsenal player George Eastman.He took me to Chelsea once where I saw this young player who went on to become the greatest goal scorer this country has produced Jimmy Greaves. The first game I went to without an adult was Fulham v Manchester United I was eleven MU were 4 up at half time,the Fulham supporters were leaving in droves ,but me and my mate stayed ,the final score was 4-4 .The names in the game Johnny Haynes .Bobby Charlton,think Bobby RobsonAlan Mullery and the man who got the players money upped to £100 a week Jimmy Hill.
Report elisjohn September 23, 2020 8:15 AM BST
irishone, are you thinking of ralph coates ?
Report cooperman September 23, 2020 9:22 AM BST
Grin Aye, Ralph and Bobby Charlton had the same barber.
Report 1st time poster September 23, 2020 9:36 AM BST
i went to ipswich to watch boro when dalian atkinson scored a hat trick in a 3 nil defeat,looked the next superstar,but was probably a high watermark,
my dad tells me stories of him and my mam going to matches in late 40,s 50,s in the back of army trucks, common practice for lots of football supporters they said
Report Blackrock September 23, 2020 12:01 PM BST
Andy Lochhead thats a blast from the past. Remember him coming to Highbury with Villa and putting the boot into Bob Wilson. Dirty b@stard. Wink
Report elisjohn September 23, 2020 12:29 PM BST
irishone, the winger might have been willie morgan , sure he was at burnley then went to old trafford.

remember him scoring a fantastic chip for utd actually v burnley on a wet wednesday night league cup match 60,000 there great game utd winning 3-2 around the 75s
Report elisjohn September 23, 2020 12:36 PM BST
https://manchesterunitedmemories.wordpress.com/tag/manchester-united-versus-burnley-1974/.

scroll down for clips of w morgan , im sure thats the chip goal
Report elisjohn September 23, 2020 12:42 PM BST
theres andy lochead playing for villa  https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/status/1075659193863028736
Report johnizere September 23, 2020 6:37 PM BST
Lifelong Swans fan, must have seen my first match late 50's?
Distinctly remember watching Swans v Burnley FA Cup match, 0-0 draw. 1960.
Went to all Swans matches in 1964 cup run to the semi finals at Villa Park, beaten by PNE.
Was at Anfield for the quarter final..beat Liverpool 2-1...shock result of the season, Ronnie Moran skied a penalty
in that match. At Stoke the match before, Stanley Matthews scored equalizer for Stoke, first goal he'd scored for years lol.
We beat them 2-0 at home in the replay.
Report sparrow September 23, 2020 7:01 PM BST
Remember the Allchurch brothers playing for Swansea Town in the 50s.
Report LoyalHoncho September 23, 2020 7:10 PM BST
I remember being astonished by that match irish and wondering where all the hostility had come from.  I don't instantly remember the McCreadie challenge very well but even Charlie Cook summoned up some guts and had a go at Bremner, as did Hollins. The referee hid in that match and who could blame him - he'd have needed to send off about ten of them!  The only other team I ever remember kicking that Leeds side off the park was AC Milan.  It didn't happen often at all, as you know.  I always agreed with Don Revie when he said if he were ever in the trenches proper the man he would want beside him would be Billy Bremner!  Same here.  A dirty, niggling little b@stard granted, but much more skilled than ever credited and what a player to have on your side.  What heart the man had.
Report irishone September 23, 2020 8:49 PM BST
Ralph coates
That was him
Correct ...had the charlton comb over
I saw Tottenham in the early 60s
Maurice Norman broke his leg
Didnt find out until next day
He carried on playing...
Imagine the fannies doing that today
Report irishone September 23, 2020 8:57 PM BST
I thought they were all hard when I was a kid, tommy smith (liverpool), the millwall captain left back was a nutter, dave mackay picked bremner up with his collar.

Then I met the complete and utter nutcase known as Vinny Jones. Now he would have had some of Bremner, Chopper Harris etc he couldnt give a feck who he had a fight with. Only over geyser I think I saw who could have handled that sort of football was Jimmy Case,  no one fecked with him .
Report irishone September 23, 2020 9:20 PM BST
Charlie Cooke was way ahead of his time honcho, I saw ronaldo copying his warm up twenty years after. Don Howe didnt take any prisoners , who was the Arsenal axeman ? Peter Storey ? Nearly every team had one , usually a defender, the lower you went down the leagues , the more nutters you saw , earning a wage kicking lumps out of people ! I blame sky and the yanks world cup in 94 for non contact game we have now, clinical purist chess matches, boring watching teams pass the leather off the ball.Bring back the sixties. Only my opinion !
Report irishone September 23, 2020 9:35 PM BST
Harry Cripps......millwall nutter
Report irishone September 23, 2020 9:53 PM BST
Honcho the animousity between them came from the villa park semi final in 1967.Chelsea won 1-0 but Leeds scored two disallowed goals. The second one was from a direct free kick near the end. The ref disallowed it because the Chelsea wall wasnt ten yards back. He should have allowed it because Chelsea were basically wasting time. The retake was unsuccessful. Chelsea won 1-0. From that day for years there was animousity.
Report irishone September 23, 2020 10:12 PM BST
That tackle comes at 1 hour 30 minutes of that video, or roughly 8 minutes from the end  in the Chelsea penalty box, mcreadie leaps at Bremner and allegedly catches him in the face with his boot. Probably the worst ever tackle you will see, never got the ball and went unpunished !
Report LoyalHoncho September 24, 2020 3:09 AM BST
"kicking lumps out of people"

These comments about the great Hughie Gallacher from his fellow pros, confirm your point irish - and this was thirty/forty years earlier than your period quoted:

From the very first match he played in England he was a marked man with defenders acting on instructions to stop him scoring at all costs. Scotland goalkeeper Jack Harkness said of him, "I never saw any player with as many scars and hacks." Newcastle teammate and future brother-in-law, George Mathison, recalled, "You had to see his legs to believe the treatment he was given. They were pitted, scarred. You couldn't blame him for losing his cool". This was despite Gallacher playing with a half inch layer of cotton wool padding added inside his shin-pads.
Report elisjohn September 24, 2020 7:10 AM BST
would you believe it, but i played around 15 years of non league football, and believe you me the tackles were flying in there in the late70s 80s, and i never once had shin pads.
Report sparrow September 24, 2020 7:35 AM BST
Bill Shankly famously called the Southampton team of 1970 "alehouse players" and especially John McGrath.

Eric Martin
    Joe Kirkup
    Denis Hollywood
    Hugh Fisher
    John McGrath
    Jimmy Gabriel
    Terry Paine
    Mick Channon
    Ron Davies
    Brian O'Neil
    Tom Jenkins
Report sparrow September 24, 2020 7:41 AM BST
From a Southampton fans page.....

"Nicked from Saintsweb.

40 years ago today our non-descript side leapt into the public conscience after beating the mighty Liverpool 1-0 at the Dell.

After John McGrath had booted their record teenage signing, Alun Evans, into the West Stand terrace after 5 mins ( he was hoisted onto a stretcher) we "competed" with them until their left-back, Alec Lindsay scored an unfortunate headed own-goal.

It was not until the sunday papers that we saw Terry Paine had hold of Lindsay's waist as he went to head it, that you realised how it happened.

Bill Shankly went ballistic! Collared all his Fleet Street acolytes and went for us, big time. It was over every paper when we normally didn't warrant a mention. No coverage of every game in those days.

Anyway, the name stuck which was quite unfair, as we hadn't had anyone sent off for 7 whole days when Jimmy Gabriel was dismissed whilst being stretcherd off at Leeds. He was able to play against Liverpool though. Great powers of recovery then. probably due to the Magic Sponge. (or alcohol.)
Report loui September 24, 2020 10:33 AM BST
Mine was Liverpool vs Either Ipswich or West Brom 1972 season, got the programmes upstairs somewhere, we won both 2-0. Had Keegan Emlyn, Tommy Smith, Clemence and all them great players then. Came 2nd to the Great Leeds teams that year, but next season we won Lague and uefa Cup. Was great being a kid and seeing your team win that early. The kop was nuts. I played against Joe Laidlaw about 35 years ago, his son was playing for them too. Joe obviously getting on a bit then. Was carrying a bit of timber
Report irishone September 24, 2020 12:17 PM BST
John Mcgrath .....now there's a name ,absolutely one of the greatest football nutters of all time, four foot wide...... He managed a few teams and gained a place in the famous pre-match team talk memory book....
"NOW LADS, THIS TEAM ARE LIKE FLIES AROUND A PIECE OF S***, THEY BUZZ ABOUT, HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE, YOU WONT BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THEM. ....BUT EVERY NOW AND THEN ONE OF THEM SETTLES ON THE BALL AND WHEN THEY DO YOU HIT 'EM AND SPLAT !" punching a fist into the dressing room wall.      Legend !
Report elisjohn September 24, 2020 12:34 PM BST
Laugh
Report elisjohn September 24, 2020 12:38 PM BST
i remember starting in local soccer aged about 14, we were getting hammered 8-0 half time, told to sit , cup of tea, and the manager was imo ready to give us a right bollocking, ten mins later he hadnt said a word, then as we were ready to go out for 2nd half, he muttered
" LADS WHATEVER YOU DO , DONT CONCEDE THE NEXT GOAL, OR ITLL BE DIFFICULT TO COME BACK INTO THIS MATCH "Grin
Report elisjohn September 24, 2020 4:13 PM BST
just watched the racing on tv, and now 15 mins of world of sport, 6 of george best goals v northampton, but the best was when brazil had a free kick v zaire in world cup match, while brazil were thinking of what to do etc,  well here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s247cS3-iKQ
Report irishone September 25, 2020 7:49 AM BST
Hilarious
Then asks the ref why ?
Bobby Gould was a complete nutter
Called the team into a circle at the training ground
Said I know a few of you have been talking to the press and having a dig about me
Then throwing a couple of boxing gloves into the middle of the gathering
He said "come on , now's yer chance, who is man enough to stand up to me face to face"
He went back to the changing room with three broken ribs.
Report irishone September 25, 2020 7:56 AM BST
The shin pad story reminds me of the day I watched a Crystal Palace match alongside scout Vince Craven the maestro behind Bassetts wimbledon. A player came off the pitch for treatment to a head knock, Craven wrote down "no shin pads" in his book, he said "wally and vinny" will want to know that. Wally was Wally Downes, Vinny was Vinny Jones.
Report irishone September 26, 2020 6:29 PM BST
Another nutty one about Gouldy was he was 3-0 up at half time (just like WBA now) and he walked into the dressing room and said seven words before he walked out "I BET YOU LOT CANT DO THAT AGAIN" and they lost 4-3 !
Report elisjohn September 26, 2020 7:00 PM BST
same again here perhapsGrin
Report LoyalHoncho September 26, 2020 8:21 PM BST
Heard a similar story irish about Dave Sexton and Osgood at Chelsea.  The story goes that Osgood had been trying to be the wido and Sexton stopped training and quite publicly invited Osgood into the gym to sort things out and waited and waited and waited,.......no more cra p from the bold Peter and the others perked up a bit too. Sexton was a dour sod but didn't take any chit.
Report sparrow September 26, 2020 8:29 PM BST
I remember watching Sexton as a player at West Ham in the mid 50s and whenever he scored it was always following a goal scramble.
Report elisjohn September 26, 2020 8:52 PM BST
i was a bit of a hard man myself on the football pitch, never injured etc, anyway i had a knee knock, never played afterwards, and yet there was a player in my team who broke his leg 5 times and still played into his 40s ,
Report irishone September 27, 2020 9:50 PM BST
Before bassett managed wimbledon he was at walton and hersham , two of the players roger connell and kieron sommers ? Something like that, kept quarreling with each other. Harry had enough of it. He took them out onto the pitch , after training one night, got the groundsman to turn the floddlights on and told the pair of them to sort it out in the centre circle. What about them two at charlton ? fighting in a match, both got sent off, flanagan and big derek the centre forward ? Down to nine men and both their forwards gone ! Lol
Report irishone September 27, 2020 9:58 PM BST
Was in ozzies company before he died , all he kept going on about was all the women he had s****ed, i said i thought you was gay for the craic , (no pun intended)  told him i saw him kiss ian hutchinson after he scored once and the two of them lost a load of money on a restaurent near windsor. Fair play to him, pissed himself laughing. R I P great man, ended up selling his memoirs in pubs around the south. One of the best he was, fond memories.
Report vol n. oven September 28, 2020 1:55 AM BST
on holiday, my old fella took me to bloomfield road in 1959 or 60 to see blackpool beat chelsea 4 - 0.....think stanley matthews must have been 80 at the time and a little kid peter bonetti was in the goals for chelsea
Report irishone September 28, 2020 6:26 AM BST
That was a trip all the Chelsea lads used to love going on. They had the fixture moved to Easter one year and Docherty caught them early morning on the way back into the hotel. All over the press, he fined them a weeks wages, maximum of a tenner then ....lol. from wicki .... "on 22 April 1965 Docherty sent eight players home for breaking curfew at their Blackpool hotel; with those men absent the Blues lost 2-6 the following weekend, ending any remaining title chance"
Report Oldgit1 September 29, 2020 6:12 PM BST
Do any of you remember "Big" John Macnamee? Hibs fans used to sing Big Bad John. So many suspensions in Scotland that he moved to England. I went to see Spurs Play Newcastle ( I think it was a New Years Day ) and wanted to see what he would do to Jimmy Greaves.
Big John went in for a heavy tackle near the halfway line. Next second he was on his face sliding in the mud with Greavsie casually watching..
" Centre-half and an original hardman of football. He played in the Football League between 1966-74. He was part of Newcastle United's 1969 Fairs Cup winning squad. During his time at Newcastle United he supplemented his wage by running a waste paper collection service. He owned his own lorry and turned up for training in it one day! When his playing career finished he became a painter and decorator however when his wife died in 1983 he became a postman in Cockermouth as it made things easier for him to look after his children. He worked as a postman until his retirement. He still lives in Cockermouth but had to move from his house for a year in 2009 due to the floods."
Report Reynard September 29, 2020 6:51 PM BST
Went to the Boleyn half a dozen times in the late 60's . Hardly missed a game home or away during the 70's / early 80's (excluding the occasional banning order) Mischief
Report irishone September 30, 2020 8:31 AM BST
That fairs cup winning team still meet up every year and have a night of photos and memories. most of them still knocking around ! Not being funny but is that the last thing Newcastle won ?
Report irishone September 30, 2020 8:37 AM BST
The Boleyn was one of the hardest places to go for me, the crowd was up your backside, they always had a midfielder that could tear you apart and you knew the referee would get intimated by the crowd if he started making mistakes. Lampard senior and Bonds didnt feck about , the pitch could become a quagmire and god help you if you happened to score and celebrate near the touchline. Molineux was similar and the old white hart lane got a bit lairy.
Report unitedbiscuits September 30, 2020 9:48 AM BST
Nice thread.

I first went in 1968 and very clearly remember the smell of pipe tobacco drifting across the ground.
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 9:52 AM BST
Talking about the Boleyn Ground we have to remember that it was never the same after the old "Chicken Run" stand was demolished in the late 60s. To watch the people in that stand swaying to and fro to the Bubbles song sent a chill down your spine!
Report irishone September 30, 2020 11:10 AM BST
Ah yes , the chicken run, forgot about that until you mentioned it Sparrow , good memories. Can see it now in the memory ! A Leeds stand was called the scratchy shed as I recall, doubt if it was called that for nothing !
Report irishone September 30, 2020 11:18 AM BST
The other stand that impressed me was the gallogate up at Newcastle. They banned alcohol up there for certain games. I saw fans drinking newcastle brown in the queue to get in and massive bins by the turnstiles . They used to drop the empties before they went in. It was wide open no shelter. When it rained I saw so much steam coming off people that you wondered if people at the top of the terraces could see the pitch. Some sight when they sang that races song?
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 11:32 AM BST
No place like home: A West Ham team featuring Bobby Moore, right, take on Leeds in 1967 in front of the original Chicken Run stand
Report Reynard September 30, 2020 3:14 PM BST
We got petrol-bombed in the Gallowgate Shocked
Report irishone September 30, 2020 5:22 PM BST
Sparrow not having a pop
But the way greenwood
Treated bobby moore
Was fecking disgusting
Report elisjohn September 30, 2020 6:31 PM BST
boleyn ground, ive followed football for 50 odd years, and i used to know all the ground names and nicknames, but now i still say that city play at maine rd, soton at the dell etc, but i never heard of boleyn groundConfused
Report elisjohn September 30, 2020 6:32 PM BST
surely west ham has always been upton park, if its west ham you talking about
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 6:48 PM BST
Upton Park was also known as the Boleyn Ground.
Irishone, Contrary to what some people think Greenwood was a poor manager who somehow managed to never finish higher than 8th with all those great players. Moore fell out with him over his attitude to bringing in stronger defenders.
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 6:49 PM BST
The Boleyn Ground, often referred to as Upton Park, was a football stadium located in Upton Park, east London. It was the home of West Ham United from 1904 to 2016. The stadium was also briefly used by Charlton Athletic in the early 1990s during their years of financial difficulty. Wikipedia
Report mecca September 30, 2020 7:43 PM BST
I remember being shocked when Ron Greenwood got the England job
Report 1st time poster September 30, 2020 8:42 PM BST
south terrace at boro was known as the  chicken run, i remember boro v n,castle game and a 50/50 probably 60/40 in favour of little tommy craig against grahem souness and there was an almighty crack, tommy craig eventually stood up and through the 2 halves of his shin pad in to the ground,split in half like an easter egg
Report irishone September 30, 2020 8:56 PM BST
You never get the full story in football sparrow but i heard it was over some paltry sum that moore wanted but greenwood said no. The worse thing was later he got a few bob off the sun  reporting on gamrs, he was welcomed at every ground in the country but when he went back to the boleyn he werent allowed in the ground. Did you ever hear that one ?
Report irishone September 30, 2020 9:04 PM BST
Souness still about on irish t v
Not nice
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 9:44 PM BST
Irishone. Story about Moore was from Harry Redknapp and that he was ejected from inside the ground by orders from the Club Secretary in the 79/80 season for a Second Division game through not having a ticket.
Moore fell out with Greenwood over his refusal to put in a bid for the defender Maurice Setters.
Report elisjohn September 30, 2020 10:13 PM BST
didnt know that sparrow, thx ,  ok quick quiz, which 2 teams had the same name on their grounds
Report elisjohn September 30, 2020 10:18 PM BST
isnt it amazing i cannot tell you who was playing last night , yet my memory of 40 years ago football grounds is nearly 100%, lincoln, sinsil bank, aldershot recreation gd, bury giggs lane, , truely the brain is amazing
Report sparrow September 30, 2020 11:12 PM BST
Newcastle and Exeter, elisjohn?
Report Capt__F September 30, 2020 11:36 PM BST
Sports Direct Stadium
Report Reynard September 30, 2020 11:43 PM BST

Sep 30, 2020 -- 10:13PM, elisjohn wrote:

didnt know that sparrow, thx ,

Report Reynard September 30, 2020 11:44 PM BST
elisjohn • September 30, 2020 10:13 PM BST
didnt know that sparrow, thx ,  ok quick quiz, which 2 teams had the same name on their grounds

Arsenal & Fleetwood Cool
Report matso October 1, 2020 12:07 AM BST
Sparrow .. looks like Jim Standem the west ham goalie in that picture
Report elisjohn October 1, 2020 6:21 AM BST
correct sparrow.
reynard ( dont know about that sorry)
Report sparrow October 1, 2020 7:49 AM BST
matso, yes the great Jim Standen who also played cricket for Worcestershire and was finally replaced by a record signing for a goalkeeper Bobby Ferguson £65,000 from Kilmarnock.
Report irishone October 1, 2020 8:14 AM BST
I will take Harry's word for it Sparrow .....lol.
Great memories eh ?
Report irishone October 1, 2020 8:17 AM BST
How about Trev sparrow ? Said to have been powder puff , but he werent, invited the tackle and when you went in you got the elbow in your face, never afraid to toe poke a pass,off the pitch a real gentleman too.
Report sparrow October 1, 2020 8:45 AM BST
With regard to Harry and his disgust at the Moore treatment it didn't stop him years later taking over as manager which brings me on to Sir Trevor a proper gentleman as you say irishone and he could tell you a story or two about Harry.
Report Rigsby October 1, 2020 4:58 PM BST
Some well known names in my autograph book which I have just dug out: Frank O'Farrell, Harry Hooper (WHam), Ken Luty(FA Cup Final referee 1954), Stanley Matthews (Stoke City),Gordon Astall (Birmingham), George Robb, W Nicholson, Ron Burgess, Ken Duquemin (Spurs), Len Hutton (not football). I did have John Charles and all the Leeds team from his first spell, but I can't find them (blame my younger brother). The Stanley Matthews one was when he did a book signing (or something like that) at Leeds Co-op on the morning of a game when Stoke were playing at Elland Road. He didn't play in the game that afternoon - the disappointment was massive (the ground was full in the expectation of seeing him play), but at least I got to meet him.
Report sparrow October 1, 2020 6:48 PM BST
I recognise every name you have mentioned rigsby and have personally met the 2 West Ham players in the mid 1950s. Unfortunately I have long since lost my autograph book and I wonder if youngsters still collect the signatures as keenly as we did?
Report irishone October 1, 2020 8:05 PM BST
W nicholson, greatest spurs manager ever, met him a few times, lovely man, push and run merchant , great memory ! Thankyou
Report treetop October 1, 2020 8:17 PM BST
That spurs team were brilliant irish, just able to recall Bobby Smith centre forward, McKay at his peak and John White one of the most skilful players of his time. Great players, think White died young.
Report irishone October 1, 2020 9:40 PM BST
Hit by lightening on a golf course !
Keeper was different class was it brown ?, blanchflower, cliff jones, dyson ?,allen on the wing. Jees they dont make them like that any more !
Loved Joe Kinnear , worked with him, some craic .
Report irishone October 1, 2020 9:49 PM BST
Funny story about kinnear. When Wimbledon won the f a cup 1988 the clubs commercial director kept the trophy in the bottom draw of his desk in a velvet bag. One friday night he was working late and was joined by another staff member and cutting a long story short they decided to put a couple of tea bags in the cup and have a brew. As they were were drinking out of seperate mugs, a car drove into the car park and next minute joe kinnear pops his head round the door asking if there were two comps left there for him to collect  from the club reception for a game at Fulham. at the time he was doing a bit of scouting for the club. He was asked if he wanted a cup of tea and said "wouldnt drink out of that, peed in it when we won it 67."
Report Rigsby October 1, 2020 10:02 PM BST
@Sparrow other names on West Ham page are Ken Brook?, John Dick?, A Russell?. Also noticed Alf Ramsey is on Spurs page
Report sparrow October 1, 2020 10:09 PM BST
I certainly remember John Dick a striker with a great scoring record in the 50s and early 60s but not Brook or Russell and I have been a fan since around 1954.
treetop mentions John White of Spurs dying early and he was in fact killed on a golf course by a lightning strike.
Report sparrow October 1, 2020 10:10 PM BST
Apologies, just noticed irishone has already mentioned John White's death.
Report sparrow October 3, 2020 8:59 AM BST
Football Photos from the 50s and 60s.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2020/oct/03/graffiti-fishing-and-mr-whippy-unseen-photographs-from-footballs-yesteryear
Report khyber kim October 3, 2020 9:22 AM BST
vol n. oven
28 Sep 20 01:55
| Topic/replies: 170 | Blogger: vol n. oven's blog
on holiday, my old fella took me to bloomfield road in 1959 or 60 to see blackpool beat chelsea 4 - 0.....think stanley matthews must have been 80 at the time and a little kid peter bonetti was in the goals for chelsea
Rate reply
:

I had a similar experience on a Blackpool holiday. My old man took me to see Blackpool play Leeds at Bloomfield Road. It would be the summer of 1963.

Alan Ball played he was only 17, the only other player I remember was Bobby Collins. Leeds lost.
Report elisjohn October 3, 2020 4:56 PM BST
as a very young lad in the early 60s i remember going to the local park on a sunday morning just to watch,  and every morning there was a proper match going on with just the local lads making up their own game, im telling you the standard on show was of players that were  without doubt football league standard , 3 or 4 made the grade, another dozen had trials, another few were offered contracts but were homesick and didnt  want to leave home,  these matches went on for years  and then the next generation including myself would take their place.The sad thing about this is that i doubt in last 20 years that park has even seen anyone there kicking a ball .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com