Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
themover
24 Jul 20 14:59
| Topic/replies: 53,001 | Blogger: themover's blog
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Doubtful he's even in the top five in his own team and that's before you get to Kevin De Bruyne!
Pause Switch to Standard View Henderson named English Football...
Show More
Report Angoose July 24, 2020 4:34 PM BST
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has won the Football Writers' Association Men's Footballer of the Year award.

The 30-year-old midfielder, who led Liverpool to their first league title in 30 years this season, received more than a quarter of the votes.

"As grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own," he said.

"I owe a lot to so many people but none more so than my current team-mates, who have been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do."

Liverpool team-mates Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mane, Manchester City's Kevin de Bruyne and Manchester United's Marcus Rashford also finished in the top five.

On Wednesday Henderson, who is recovering from a knee injury, received the Premier League trophy from Reds legend Sir Kenny Dalglish at a near-empty Anfield.

Henderson added: "I accept [the award] on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player - a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution."

Henderson also lifted the Fifa Club World Cup trophy for the first time in December.

Off the pitch, Henderson has helped raise money for the NHS as part of the #PlayersTogether initiative.

Arsenal and Netherlands striker Vivianne Miedema was named the Football Writers' Association Women's Footballer of Year. earlier this month.
Report themover July 24, 2020 5:07 PM BST
Pep Guardiola on Player of the Year award:

“The winner will be from Liverpool. When we won the Premier League the Liverpool players won. When they win the League, I'm pretty sure they are going to win the Player of the Season. These awards are always for Liverpool.”
Report stewarts rise July 24, 2020 5:18 PM BST
Anyone know what happened to the PFA award for young footballer of the year market on here, can't find it anywhere?
Report lfc1971 July 24, 2020 5:19 PM BST
I don’t think pep is qualified to comment when you consider he often didn’t play the best player in the English prem last year and this and the year before ( Sane in case you are wondering )
Report charwell. July 24, 2020 6:00 PM BST
Pep Fraudiola crying again. He has overlooked Sterling won it last year. In his head 24/7 rent free.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 24, 2020 6:07 PM BST
Raheem Sterling won this award last year so not sure what Pep is talking about, this was when Van Dijk came second in the Balon D'or and won the PFA award so really should have won the FWA.

Though this is a laughable award for Henderson, no way has he been the best player this season, what was his odds? he's only started 26 games and scored 4 goal/5 assists. Should be Mane/Vardy/De Bruyne.
Report tobermory July 24, 2020 6:35 PM BST
These awards are lame.

Instead of just who was the best player they introduce 'he deserves more recognition' into it
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 24, 2020 6:40 PM BST
Scott Parker won the FWA award in 2010/11, can't remember him being standout.
Report pushkin99 July 24, 2020 6:40 PM BST
I don't think there could be a more deserving winner. Well done Hendo. The driving force behind Liverpool's continued success.
Report Angoose July 24, 2020 6:52 PM BST
And that's the point, he sets the tone for the group, aided and abetted by Milner and Lallana.
Report PorcupineorPineapple July 24, 2020 7:48 PM BST
Henderson is a superstar and it's fully deserved. De Bruyne is v good obviously and shines when City are two up and the oppo go chasing, but how good was he when City were losing nine times this year.

Anyway, it's not over yet. I hear Pep has put an appeal into CAS and is hoping to get it overturned to seal one of City's best weeks ever.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 24, 2020 7:53 PM BST
Wouldn't have been my pick but he's a deserved winner.

Sets a great tempo for Liverpool, and an excellent passer of the ball.

Never really been used to best effect by England, same old story.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 24, 2020 8:16 PM BST
it's the least important players award but still, he's been no more important than many of the Liverpool players, if he wasn't the captain he wouldn't have been given it, it's basically a random choice because he's captain of the winning team, Mane far more deserving. I think he's a good player but it's suppose to be given to the best players in the league that season, so these kind of choices lessen it's value.

The PFA player of the year will definitely be given to Mane or De Bruyne, players know who is the best player is, journo's don't even know who the best Henderson is in the league, Dean Henderson had a more impressive season.

It could also be a reaction against City winning their appeal.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 24, 2020 8:18 PM BST
Kevin De Bruyne in the Premier League so far this season:

Most Assists (19)
Most goals + assists (30)
Most chances created (126)
Most big chances created (32)
Report themover July 25, 2020 12:17 PM BST
TAA would also have a strong case for the award, just to remove any thoughts of me being City bias! If Henderson has had a better year than TAA I'm Scottish Laugh
Report betting_masta July 25, 2020 12:24 PM BST
APPARENTLY, one person voted for jonny evans to win the award. these are the kind of media numpties we are dealing with
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 25, 2020 12:25 PM BST
Trent would be a deserving winner too. Possibly gets my vote.

The writers are a bit of a club, or many clubs and like to back each other
up, as Parker winning showed.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 25, 2020 12:35 PM BST
I think Parker won because there seems to be a a lot of Journo's who are West Ham fans? imagine many are London based Liverpool fans as well.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 25, 2020 12:43 PM BST
only just remembered the year Parker won, West Ham finished rock bottom of the league, looked up stats, he had 5 goals/2 assists. I don't remember him being outstanding but it was 10 years ago. Think it was at the height of Tika taka which was all the rage and Parker started playing like that, remember Micky Quinn on talksport the only one to go against the grain criticising him for going round in circles like a duck passing the ball.
Report betting_masta July 25, 2020 12:59 PM BST
they just try and look clever by going against the grain
it's a camel designed by a committee
Report Angoose July 25, 2020 1:32 PM BST
Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana has paid an emotional tribute to his "selfless" close friend, team-mate and captain Jordan Henderson.

Lallana, 32, is set to leave Anfield when his contract expires on July 31.

"Being beside him lifting the Premier League trophy, nothing makes me happier," a tearful Lallana said about fellow England midfielder Henderson.

Lallana has won the Premier League, Champions League and Club World Cup during six years with the Reds.

However, the former Southampton player's spell has also been interrupted by a series of injuries, and it is 30-year-old Henderson - who Liverpool signed in 2011 - he credits for helping him get through tough moments.

"Having been with Jordan throughout the whole journey, I've been lucky enough to be alongside him when he had his dark moments - and he's also been alongside me in my dark moments, injuries," Lallana told the Liverpool club website.

Henderson was named Football Writers' Association Men's Footballer of the Year on Friday, in part because of his role leading a player initiative to donate funds to disadvantaged people during the coronavirus pandemic.

Lallana, who also won this season's Uefa Super Cup with Liverpool, also praised his captain's willingness to "take responsibility" for a poor results on the field.

"We drew 3-3 away to Sevilla [in the Champions League in November 2017] after being 3-0 up. It felt like a defeat and Jordan took full responsibility" Lallana recalls.

"Butthat just epitomises his selflessness. That's not in the good moments, that's the bad moments.

"He deserves to be captain of Liverpool holding the four trophies in one season more than anyone else, and no-one can take that away from him ever."

I hope he gets all the individual accolades - Gerrard

After Liverpool had been confirmed as league champions in June, Henderson's predecessor as Reds skipper, Steven Gerrard, posted an image on social media of himself passing the captain's armband to his then team-mate in 2015.

"Couldn't have passed it to a better person. Proud of you mate," he wrote.

And the Anfield legend, who is now manager of Scottish Premiership side Rangers, echoed that sentiment during an interview on the MOTD podcast.

"Jordan was a young kid at Sunderland and his parents came up to me and asked me to take him under my wing as they were worried about his big move," said former England midfielder Gerrard.

"He had a tough first year but he remained quiet, worked hard in the gym and did his talking on the pitch."

Gerrard says he is "delighted" with Henderson's success and that he "deserves to be European and Premier League champion".

"I hope he gets all the individual accolades that follow," the 40-year-old, who won the Champions League, two FA Cups and three League Cups with Liverpool but fell agonisingly short of leading them to the Premier League title in 2013-14, added.

"I've witnessed the downs, the setbacks and the pain, and now to see him absolutely delivering is fantastic - as a team-mate and a friend.

"People who don't know Jordan, are starting to see he is a fantastic footballer and he is a wonderful human being, and that is more important for me."
Report themover July 25, 2020 1:35 PM BST
Even going against the grain I would struggle to come up with Henderson...Pope? Henderson? Doherty? Jimenez? Ings? Hendo would struggle to get in the top 20 midfielders imo!
Report themover July 25, 2020 1:37 PM BST
Obviously Henderson the goalkeeper in my previous post! Maybe that's what got them confused Laugh
Report themover July 25, 2020 1:38 PM BST
That's it case closed...they meant Dean Henderson and not Jordan Laugh
Report dr . atkins July 26, 2020 2:22 PM BST
just a joke of a decision
Report Angoose July 27, 2020 12:52 PM BST
Liverpool dropped more points in the eight games in which Henderson didn't play this season (8 - W5 D1 L2) than the 30 games in which the Liverpool skipper did feature (7 - W27 D2 L1).
Report pushkin99 July 27, 2020 1:23 PM BST
Exactly Angoose. Something the Liverpool haters such as ratkins can't get their head around.

It seems that ratkins suicide watch over Liverpool being crowned League Champions for a 19th time is over.
Report penzance July 27, 2020 2:42 PM BST
Grealish should've got that,not a Villa fan,
doubt they would've stayed up without him.
Report duncan idaho July 27, 2020 3:12 PM BST
Blush
Report lurka July 27, 2020 3:29 PM BST
FWA chair, Carrie Brown, said: “Leadership is intangible and often unquantifiable unless it is inarguable. Jordan Henderson is both the ultimate professional and now a bona fide Liverpool legend.

“Jordan is a player his team-mates look to on the pitch and who his rivals look up to off it. The voting criteria for the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year is one who leads by precept and example and in this country’s darkest moment, Jordan, unprompted, personally rallied club captains to establish #PlayersTogether.

“Millions of pounds have been raised for the NHS and significantly #PlayersTogether is now an established collective power base for players to engage in campaigns, none more so evident in the ongoing and powerful anti-racism #BlackLivesMatter campaign. He is a truly worthy winner of our award.”
Report lurka July 27, 2020 3:34 PM BST
It's not an award for the best player. I'm sure Rashford got a lot of votes for what he did off the pitch too. What you do off the pitch can be as relevant as what you do on it for this award.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 27, 2020 4:21 PM BST
then they should changed the name of the award from FWA Player of the year to FWA person and player of the year, though it's description is  is an annual award given to the player who is adjudged to have been the best of the season in English football.

They gave Suarez the award in the year he bit Ivanovic.

FWA AWARD.................PFA AWARD

1999–2000....Roy Keane.......Roy Keane
2000–01....Teddy Sheringham.......Teddy Sheringham
2001–02....Robert Pires.......Ruud van Nistelrooy
2002–03....Thierry Henry.......Thierry Henry
2003–04....Thierry Henry.......Thierry Henry
2004–05....Frank Lampard.......John Terry
2005–06....Thierry Henry.......Steven Gerrard
2006–07....Cristiano Ronaldo.......Cristiano Ronaldo
2007–08....Cristiano Ronaldo.......Cristiano Ronaldo
2008–09....Steven Gerrard.......Ryan Giggs
2009–10....Wayne Rooney.......Wayne Rooney
2010–11....Scott Parker.......Gareth Bale
2011–12....Robin van Persie.......Robin van Persie
2012–13....Gareth Bale.......Gareth Bale
2013–14....Luis Suárez.......Luis Suárez
2014–15....Eden Hazard.......Eden Hazard
2015–16....Jamie Vardy.......Riyad Mahrez
2016–17....N'Golo Kanté.......N'Golo Kanté
2017–18....Mohamed Salah.......Mohamed Salah
2018–19....Raheem Sterling.......Virgil van Dijk
2019–20....Jordan Henderson   

This shows that on most occasions, both awards are usually given to the same player and even when not the split decision is usually acceptable such as Vardy/Mahrez in 16, or Pires/Nistlerooy in 02, though the FWA Paker award when West Ham finished Bottom and Bale was outstanding that year was truly bizarre. It tells you however that pretty much nearly always the FWA vote does go to the best player of the year if not a player in most people's top 1 or 2 maybe 3. Henderson not in top 10. Not even top 4 in his own team. Simply been given the award as he is the captain of Liverpool.

Pretty sure the PFA award will go to De Bruyne or Mane.
Report dr . atkins July 27, 2020 4:25 PM BST
he good not lace de bruyne boots
Report morpteh mackem July 27, 2020 4:27 PM BST
im still struggling to see how scott parker won, must have been a betting coup there.
Report lurka July 27, 2020 6:33 PM BST
Clearly been given it for what he did for the NHS, leadership and footballing ability. The FWA Chair even came out and said it.

Van Dijk and Mane clearly better on the pitch. De Bruyne the best player for me this season. The media love him too but they weren't asked who was the best player.
Report darren_discombobulates_sports July 27, 2020 6:40 PM BST
of course she came out and said that, this is off of the back of harsh criticism of the decision, since when did the FWA start handing out this award for off field activities and charity work, as said before, previous winners mostly mirror the winner for the PFA award for obvious reasons, they've been voting for who they actually thogut was the best player, as per the award title, FWA Player of the year, what charity work did Parker do in 2011 lol.
Report pushkin99 July 27, 2020 8:56 PM BST
Hendo has been Liverpool's driving force and inspiration. A worthy winner behind a phenomenal team having a brilliant season. Glad to have a bit of rest now to recharge the batteries before next season starts.

Keep crying into your beer anyone who does not accept this Happy
Report lfc1971 July 28, 2020 8:23 AM BST
To be the driving force behind a team you have to actually do something that makes you the driving force Make important tackles , see danger and be there to prevent it , make passes at vital times to create and  clear the defensive lines when under extreme pressure , drive the team forward running with the ball, going past players ,scoring goals ...

He doesn’t do any of that particularly.
Report Capt__F July 29, 2020 8:25 PM BST
Captain of LFC not an easy gig

Has Gerrard's blessing

Good enough for me

Inspirational person signed by King Kenny again no more to say

YNWA
Report David Icke July 30, 2020 7:04 PM BST
Henderson ? Best league in the world !!! Technically limited.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com