Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
foxy
10 Apr 20 12:03
| Topic/replies: 12,515 | Blogger: foxy's blog
Leeds have confirmed there former player is in hospital with coved 19 Sad

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 63
By:
Angoose
When: 10 Apr 20 16:39
Ex-England defender Norman Hunter is being treated in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, his former club Leeds United have confirmed.

Hunter, 76, played 726 games in 15 years at Elland Road, won two league titles and played in the 1975 European Cup final defeat by Bayern Munich.

He was also part of Sir Alf Ramsey's England squad for the 1966 World Cup and went on to win 28 caps in total.

"Keep battling Norman, we are all with you," a Leeds statement said.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind the public and the media to respect the wishes of Norman and his family and to give them the space they need during this difficult time."

Hunter's reputation as a fearsome tackler was borne out by his nickname 'Bites yer legs'.

He formed a strong partnership with Jack Charlton at the back for Leeds, also adding European silverware in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, an FA Cup and a League Cup to his and the club's haul.

Only three Leeds players - Charlton, Billy Bremner and Paul Reaney - have made more appearances for the club.

Hunter also played for Bristol City and Barnsley, and then managed the Tykes along with Rotherham United.+

This bloody virus has no respect for reputations Sad
By:
11kv
When: 10 Apr 20 19:02
Hope beats the horrible fecking thing.

cmon Norman
By:
ribero1
When: 10 Apr 20 21:55
Bloody hell,saw him a couple of months ago out with family for sunday lunch,he still looked pretty fit to me so fingers crossed.
By:
HGS
When: 11 Apr 20 16:59
Yes. Get well soon.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 11 Apr 20 17:37
get well soon
By:
stewarts rise
When: 11 Apr 20 18:41
Good luck to Norman Hunter, one of the toughest players i've ever seen, wasn't it him and Franny Lee who carried on scraping as they walked off the field after both were sent off in a match.
Always remember the clamour for Hunter to replace Bobby Moore in the World cup to partner his Leeds clubmate Jackie Charlton. Sure he'll be tough enough to fight this off.
By:
Angoose
When: 11 Apr 20 18:52
Billy Bremner was the one fighting with Franny Lee, another tough nut in a team of tough nuts.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 11 Apr 20 19:03
I think Bremner was fighting with Keegan, will have to look on youtube.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 11 Apr 20 19:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALdVum0xEk

That was N Hunter and F Lee!
By:
Angoose
When: 11 Apr 20 19:30
Doesn't your memory play tricks on you Blush
By:
foxy
When: 11 Apr 20 21:07
Definitely hunter lee when franny was playing for derby
By:
attitude adjuster
When: 12 Apr 20 14:27
If you need a laugh watch the youtube clip of Norman v Franny again

Watch Billy Bremner sprint over to get involved at the end ...it's some entrance to the fight

Absolute headbanger Laugh

And some player
By:
foxy
When: 17 Apr 20 10:51
Very sad news this morning [:sad:
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 17 Apr 20 10:55
rip, very sad.
By:
sofiakenny
When: 17 Apr 20 10:56
Sad..rip.bite yer legs Norman Hunter.
By:
foxy
When: 17 Apr 20 10:58
Only last night I was watching a programme on admiral football kits ,Norman appeared on it a few times.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 17 Apr 20 10:59
where was this programme foxy ?
By:
Angoose
When: 17 Apr 20 11:02
Leeds United great Norman Hunter has died in hospital aged 76 after contracting coronavirus.

The tough-tackling centre-back, nicknamed 'Bites Yer Legs', was a key player in Leeds' most successful era.

He won two league titles during a 14-year first-team career at Elland Road, and was a non-playing member of England's 1966 World Cup-winning squad.

Hunter was admitted to hospital on 10 April after testing positive for coronavirus.

Leeds said Hunter's death leaves "a huge hole" in the family of the club.

"His legacy will never be forgotten and our thoughts are with Norman's family and friends at this very difficult time," the club said in a statement.

More to follow.
By:
foxy
When: 17 Apr 20 11:04
Hello Morpeth

It was called get shirty 1145 itv last night ,it was a interesting programme for those who enjoyed football back in the 70s ,the preceding programme was about Euro 96 also very good.nobby stiles dancing around with the World Cup was on one of them but I can’t remember which one.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 17 Apr 20 11:17
cheers foxy, will look it up
By:
The Leopard
When: 17 Apr 20 11:25
RIP Norman......from a Leeds fan since 1965.....one more sad consequence of the Pandemic.
By:
hello :-)
When: 17 Apr 20 11:43
sad day for football

iconic player in 70s one of the best from that era and leeds through and through , proper legend from a time it wasnt about money or sponsors it was for the shirt

RIP
By:
ribero1
When: 17 Apr 20 11:44
Just bumped into a guy I know walking the dog,he told me as was apparently a good friend of his and Norman's wife had kept them informed of Norman's condition and he'd actually improved a bit and taken some nutrition,he had leukaemia which was being controlled and something called Meniere's disease which apparently affects your balance.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 17 Apr 20 12:06
So sad to hear, RIP Norman.
By:
The Leopard
When: 17 Apr 20 12:17
Norman : back row, centre:
By:
Lee Ho Fooks
When: 17 Apr 20 12:20
RIP Norman - from a big Leeds fan since 1963
By:
Tiger Tiger
When: 17 Apr 20 12:28
R.I.P. Bite yer legs.
By:
kenny mann
When: 17 Apr 20 12:29
I can name all the players in that photo, massive Leeds fan circa 64-55 and only missed a dozen or so home games and was at Liverpool that incredible night in 69 when we stood firm for a 0-0 and clinched the championship.

Been checking on line for updates but nothing till this extremely sad news.
By:
kenny mann
When: 17 Apr 20 12:30
64-75 should read
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 17 Apr 20 12:36
sad news.

i saw norman hunter play several times at sjp.

thoughts with friends and family.
By:
foxy
When: 17 Apr 20 12:37
Just shows you how good they were kenny I could name them all and I am not a Leeds fan

Norman was the first ever pfa footballer of the year
By:
kenny mann
When: 17 Apr 20 12:48
they were great foxy, apart from that one night when Celtic thoroughly outplayed them in European Cup at Elland Road.
By:
The Leopard
When: 17 Apr 20 12:49
By:
geordie1956
When: 17 Apr 20 13:14
another great of the 60s-70s goes to play forever with some of his mates
great character & played for the love of his team ... didn't need wads of cash to show what it meant to him
saw him plenty of times at sjp & when the toon played at elland rd
very sad ... RIP fella
By:
The Leopard
When: 17 Apr 20 13:22
1972 FA Cup Final win (against Arsenal , 1 : 0 )
By:
onthejim
When: 17 Apr 20 13:43
Kenny/Foxy. I  too can  name everyone in that photo except for the chap between TC and BB, put me out of my misery!!!
By:
ribero1
When: 17 Apr 20 13:46
Terry Hibbert.
By:
onthejim
When: 17 Apr 20 13:50
Thanks Ribero 1, I wouldn't have got him , to be honest can't really recall him,  Bates and Belfitt lived in next village to me when i was a youngster.
By:
ribero1
When: 17 Apr 20 13:55
Yes I remember Mick Bates from that area as we lived in Whitley Bridge.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com