Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stickyvicky
23 Dec 19 12:23
| Topic/replies: 11,827 | Blogger: stickyvicky's blog
On Sky Sports yesterday about racism in high office causing racism in football.
Didn't catch the whole thing at the time but the presenter put him back in his box when he said 'these views do not represent Sky Sports' or words to that effect.Laugh

Going to be awkward in the studio next week, no christmas card for you yeah ( insert expletive )
Pause Switch to Standard View Gary Neville and his high horse rant
Show More
Report snowynoon December 23, 2019 3:42 PM GMT
yes,dont think he has really thought through what he was saying ,anyway,he simplified the issue a bit too much.
Report rommel December 23, 2019 3:55 PM GMT
dont usually agree with the sourfaced ooop his own a*** bint but a good point about it all coming from the top
Report sparrow December 23, 2019 4:18 PM GMT
The presenter was out of order. People are invited on to state their views and he has not swore or become libellous so for the presenter to step in and silence him saying they aren't necessarily the views of Sky sports was ridiculous.
Report Angoose December 23, 2019 4:23 PM GMT
He made a comment about how the election debate had included a lot of discussion on the use of racist language by politicians and the influence this has on wider society.

A very relevant comment if you ask me.
Report PorcupineorPineapple December 23, 2019 4:25 PM GMT
He's spot on. Racism is an issue in the country not just football grounds. Asking the club's or the FA to fix it is missing the open goal.

Stop people being racist on buses, in pubs, on the net, on our streets and you'll stop racism in football.
Report mikehhh December 23, 2019 4:26 PM GMT
hes correct it needs stamping out dont know how it was a high horse rant unless you think that making monkey noises at black players is acceptable??? sky had to step in cos he mentioned parties but hes right again if boris thinks using racist lanaguage is fine and appeals to right wingers who will use it again you only have to look at social media and keyboard warriors to see how bad it is lately
Report darren_discombobulates_sports December 23, 2019 4:57 PM GMT
To understand why someone makes racist comments you have to go very far back in time, follow the path backwards, and the further you go back the more you'd realise why and it doesn't take a genius, you don't suddenly wake up one day go to football and say something racist, it's a long process for a person to edge towards that mentality, an accumulation of lots of little things along the way, the parents usually are a big part growing up from the beginning, then falling in with the wrong crowd as you get a bit older, failing school, dead end job after dead end job, debt, kids, living in a downtrodden area, stressed, the older they've got the angrier they've become at where they are in their lives....go to football as the only thrill you get and take it out on someone else by mocking them to make them fill better and superior albeit temporarily, the chances are however they actually have black friends or black workmates but in the moment need to alleviate their own anger onto others and lose their mind. Wealthy people, intelligent people, people who are happy, people with comfortable lifestyles are never the ones you find making these comments, it's pretty much always people who fit a profile.

People talk about stamping it out, there's one person born on a path towards making a racist comment every minute, it's not an excuse, it's the reason, you can't stamp out racist comments unless you have 40,000+ cameras pointing towards every one's head, you can only create an environment as best you can that sends out the message it's unacceptable, such as the reaction with had in the last 24 hours, to limit the number of people crossing the line, in the 70's and 80's the culture of racism is a world away from where it is today thanks to campaigns, the authorities and the media, but to think you can completely eradicate racist comment being made in society is seriously foolhardy.
Report sparrow December 23, 2019 5:06 PM GMT
The vast majority of people know that racism is wrong but that is the not the point here. The question is whether the Sky presenter was right in silencing Neville.
Report rommel December 23, 2019 5:16 PM GMT
gary should be in a hannibal lector mask for all public appearances
Report themover December 23, 2019 5:22 PM GMT

Dec 23, 2019 -- 11:06AM, sparrow wrote:

The vast majority of people know that racism is wrong but that is the not the point here. The question is whether the Sky presenter was right in silencing Neville.

Right if the presenter felt it was libellous. Maybe Red Nev can tell us the evidence as he knows so much.

Report Angoose December 23, 2019 5:36 PM GMT
"I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we have just had an election in this country where both main parties and the leaders of both main parties are accused constantly over the last month of fuelling racism and accepting racism within their parties," Neville said on Sky Sports.

"If it is accepted within the highest office in the country, we are not talking about it at a micro level, we are talking about an absolutely enormous level.

"Maybe we have to empower the players to walk off the pitch and stop the entertainment while it is happening. That is the only way I can see it happening.”

Neville was sat alongside his former England colleague Ashley Cole, who has previously been subjected to racial abuse while on international duty and also revealed that he received similar treatment in Britain while playing.

"Ashley was abused at the Bernabeu in a game I played in (in November 2004) and probably did not give it a moment's thought really,” Neville added. "We are thinking it as football players, then ultimately you hear about it when there is a media storm, with calls for Uefa, for Fifa, for the Spanish authorities to deal with it... similarly recently with Bulgaria (against England).

"But we have a racism problem in the Premier League in England. And the Premier League have to step up, they hide behind the FA on this issue."

He added: "Maybe we have to empower the players to walk off the pitch and stop the entertainment while it is happening. That is the only way I can see it happening.

"I did not walk off the pitch when Ashley was abused 15 years ago, and you might argue that now it's okay for me to sit here in my ivory tower of a commentary box and suggest that players should walk off the pitch.

"Ultimately I would be ashamed of myself for not doing (it) 15 years ago as I would be absolutely proud of players for doing it now, to empower them to think, do something about it and take it into your own hands."
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 5:49 PM GMT
One person in a crowd of 61,000 breaks the law and Gary Neville wants the players to leave the pitch.
Report Angoose December 23, 2019 5:56 PM GMT
You appear to be choosing to miss the point.
Report liam1982 December 23, 2019 5:58 PM GMT
If Gary was still living in bury and earning £400 a week he’d definitely be the sort of guy who’d be a bit racist every now and then
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 6:12 PM GMT
OK can we have a list of crimes that once committed by a fan at a football match in a crowd of 61,000 it is acceptable for the players to walk off and a list of crimes where they should stay on?
Report pushkin99 December 23, 2019 6:20 PM GMT
Society has changed soo much over the years regarding racism. When I grew up tv programmes such as Mind Your Language, it aint arf hot mum, are you being served, Benny Hill, Till death do us part, on the buses, the black and white minstrel show etc. were mainstream prime viewing and were overtly sexist, racist, homophobic etc.

We live in different times and no one should suffer from this type of abuse. Full stop. But I agree with many others, it is a societal problem, and not football, that has lingered on far too long that needs solving. Football just gives these racist neanderthals the platform they need to spew their hatred. Sadly every club has these neanderthals in their ranks.
Report Angoose December 23, 2019 6:36 PM GMT
Nobody should be subjected to personal abuse in any form, they certainly shouldn't have to listen to grown men making pathetic monkey noises whilst they go about their paid employment.

The option of players walking off has been discussed over many years.
One potential unintended consequence could be that an idiot uses racist abuse as a method to have a game abandoned when his team is losing.

No quick and easy solution, but you'd like to think that fans will take a role in policing the behaviours of the few.
Report rommel December 23, 2019 6:39 PM GMT
every racist should be made to grow a gary neville mustache
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 6:42 PM GMT
Maybe home and away fans should all sit together now that personal abuse in any form is not allowed.
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 6:43 PM GMT
If any fan gets insulted... Match over.
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 6:44 PM GMT
Liverpool and Man utd fans sitting together in harmony thanks to Gary Neville
Report stickyvicky December 23, 2019 6:46 PM GMT
mikehhh • December 23, 2019 4:26 PM GMT
hes correct it needs stamping out dont know how it was a high horse rant unless you think that making monkey noises at black players is acceptable??
?

The opening post subject matter is about the 'take down' of Gary by the presenter, nothing else, how you can read anymore into it than that is baffling.
Report woundedknee December 23, 2019 6:46 PM GMT
If tight @rse black supporters actually went to the Stadiums to watch games.. maybe it would help decrease the  problem.. I wouldn't give a fcuk what I  was called on their wages....personally I rarely pay to watch games nowadays..all the fun on the terraces has gone .
Report sparrow December 23, 2019 6:46 PM GMT
Yes I see some are getting close to using that much abused word "banter" here. Just a matter of time I suppose.
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:01 PM GMT
we still live in a segregated society really  ...  there are white mans pursuits and black mans pursuits  ... although we generally get on with each other we rarely cross each others paths unless in the workplace perhaps  ...people seem to get on better with their own race  ,which in a way is a shame . ... and going to watch football is still a white ,male dominated pursuit  ...pause and zoom  in on any game  .

you won't change peoples mindsets  ...the older  and more downtrodden that person is  the more likely they are to hold racist views .

as there are whites who dislike blacks the opposite also applies ..it's not a perfect world  ,all you can do is ban those people  who shout the abuse but it won't rid of the problem
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:03 PM GMT
am reading the history between jews and blacks  ... interesting  too in light of events at WHL
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:07 PM GMT
steroetypes  persist  ... certainly in my aneck of the woods black folk tend to live in the poorer parts  but quite a few drive  flashy cars   giving  the impression to white society that this group is a feckless bunch or worse still involved in illegal business activities .

if a white  guy was in this situation he would probably be classed as a bit of a wide boy ,del boy type or  jack the lad
Report woundedknee December 23, 2019 7:09 PM GMT
most track athletics are virtually all won by black athletes... but black spectators are vast minority... tight Arses I tell yer Wink
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:19 PM GMT
it's strange as i have seen a few black guys down the snooker hall in the past ...but very few black snooker players  Crazy
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:21 PM GMT
also darts ,but has there  been a black darts player ?
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 7:22 PM GMT
Deta Hedman
Report MC Roller December 23, 2019 7:26 PM GMT
White man do bad thing, media bay for blood. Black man do bad thing, spineless media turn other way.
Report G Hall December 23, 2019 7:29 PM GMT
Is there a difference in calling someone a black b or c and making monkey chants. I think there is although neither are acceptable imo.

A guy at a match who calls someone a black b for missing an open goal is surely not the same as someone making monkey chants, or am I missing the point.
Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:36 PM GMT

Dec 23, 2019 -- 1:22PM, Crisp77 wrote:

Deta Hedman

i had never even heard of her until i realised she was a she  Laugh

Report Coachbuster December 23, 2019 7:39 PM GMT
was more or less thinking mens game  but then it's not the most fashionable/glamorous  of sports i guess with it's roots in the old local mens working pub and pints of ale  ..so maybe not a black magnet after all .
Report G Hall December 23, 2019 7:42 PM GMT
I have called benteke a useless effer often enough and it had nothing to do with his ethnicity.
Report woundedknee December 23, 2019 7:44 PM GMT
Has / would... any player report... being  called a white coooont  LaughLaughLaugh
Report G Hall December 23, 2019 7:53 PM GMT
Nice one
Report bigH December 23, 2019 7:56 PM GMT
the reason the presenter distanced Sky from GNevs comments is that it is not in Sky's best interest for people to make the link between Sky/Murdoch/Boris/Racism
Report Crisp77 December 23, 2019 7:56 PM GMT
If you hear any racism in Gary Neville's luxury hotel then please report it to him so he can close it for the day and send all the guests home. It's OK though, he'll sort it out with the government.
Report sparrow December 23, 2019 8:16 PM GMT
Not many people criticising the Sky presenter for closing down the debate.
Report 1st time poster December 23, 2019 8:27 PM GMT
I keep telling you a seconf after it happened at utd and yesterday ,everyone at sky see,s the pics but in both cases say nothing until the police,clubs make it official,its not in the sky brand interest to publicise racism in the game
Report 1st time poster December 23, 2019 8:28 PM GMT
the presenter yesterday even apologised for some swearing without mentioning the monkey chants
Report portmanpark December 23, 2019 8:56 PM GMT
didnt like the way rudiger while rolling in agony in the son sending off  had a sneaky look while supposedly in agony.....jose made a joke about rudiger going to hospital with broken ribs
Report Racingqueen December 23, 2019 9:48 PM GMT
Davey Jones shut down Neville cos he basically accused Corbyn and Johnson of promoting racism. He opened SSports to libel.

Neville is a to55 pot who loves the sound of his own voice
Report superjudge December 23, 2019 10:11 PM GMT
a few racists remarks by complete idiots there is a media frenzy.shame it not so important to talk about black on black knife crime  week in week out that nobody wants to mention.neville is talking bollocks.
Report the.mad.dog.man December 24, 2019 12:46 AM GMT
aggree
Report PorcupineorPineapple December 24, 2019 8:36 AM GMT
Becky's 6.46 post is confusing.

His own title of the thread calls it a high horse rant.
Report stickyvicky December 24, 2019 9:58 AM GMT
You are so confused you are calling me becky ?
Report Injera December 24, 2019 4:41 PM GMT
Neville happy to publicly endorse Corbyn the anti semite before the election

The same Corbyn who then incurred Nevilles's ire along with Johnson. Crazy

My minced pies must have been spiked because I'm confused.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 24, 2019 4:59 PM GMT
i imagine your mince pies are never away from spiked.

confused, lol
Report 1st time poster December 24, 2019 5:24 PM GMT
its all virtue signalling, nevo,stirling,corbyn,johnson etc arnt bothered about racism as long as it not in football,outside of man city,not in labour /tory party,same as the football hooliesthey can beat 10 bells out of each other a mile down the road as long as its not in the ground,ashley cole and co praise sterling but he,s quite happy for city fans ,players to axct in a racist manner without been offended but not a chelski,.Bulgarian fan
Report Injera December 24, 2019 5:28 PM GMT
yhtl - don't have a pop. Address the issue.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 24, 2019 5:43 PM GMT
lol

you are part of the issue, i shall continue to highlight that
Report Injera December 24, 2019 5:54 PM GMT
Did Neville endorse Corbyn and then apportion blame to him (for racism) on Sky?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 24, 2019 6:00 PM GMT
it must hurt you to see some many folk condemn racism
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 24, 2019 6:01 PM GMT
so many
Report tobermory December 24, 2019 8:29 PM GMT
Is there any evidence that this incident actually happened Confused

Rudiger seems to be the only one of 60,000 who heard a monkey chant
Report Crisp77 December 24, 2019 9:19 PM GMT
Has he got a history of fakery?
Report moisok December 25, 2019 10:14 PM GMT
you have to remember the progressives on here support a party that is riven with racism
Report moisok December 25, 2019 10:16 PM GMT
and making 'monkey' noises is pathetic -  but no one seemed to talk about the match where the chelsea player was hit with a lump of something quite big  - seemed just to talk about racise - that was an assault  - or have I missed something
Report roache December 26, 2019 9:05 AM GMT
A lot of noises being made by the Government wanting football to sort this out,the PFA wanting a government enquiry and yes there is a racism problem in society which will never be solved just like there will always be crime and criminals in any society but until an investigation is complete there is the remote possibility that what Ruddier heard believing them to be monkey chants was not monkey chants and this can only be established by corroboration by other persons nearby as surely other people be they fans,camera men,stewards,ball boys, players etc in that locality within the ground would be able to say so and then once that is established move forward and identify the offenders for prosecution and banning orders.
Report 11kv December 26, 2019 9:36 AM GMT
what a load of old bollox imo
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com