Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 2 people viewing this thread.
14 Jul 18 19:07
| Topic/replies: 55,133 | Blogger: peter the butcher's blog
How it used to be Love

Pause Switch to Standard View MANCHESTER UNITED
Show More
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 1, 2021 7:49 PM BST
PP

You've never answered my England question adequately.  You and every one else can't possibly make an excuse for EIGHTEEN different managers coming in to try and put the 'Company' right ..... and they have all failed.

Simple answer, the COMPANY'S Product just isn't good enough and another eighteen managers can't change that.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 1, 2021 8:49 PM BST
Aaron Wan Bissaka found guilty of driving his Lamborghini  while banned and without insurance.

How thick can these footballers get?

Hope the club fine too.
Report REDROB September 1, 2021 9:02 PM BST
Should really be sent down for that. A ban obviously has affect and neither would a fine so what's the alternative !
Report REDROB September 1, 2021 9:03 PM BST
* no affect
Report SirNorbertClarke September 1, 2021 9:39 PM BST
Portugal 1 - 1 Ireland

Ronaldo had a penalty saved and scored in the 88th minute.

OGS has to designate Fernandes as penalty taker. We have had enough penalty farce these past couple of years.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 1, 2021 9:47 PM BST
Ronaldo scored the winner in the 96th minute!

That's what Ronaldo does, fights until the very end Grin
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 1, 2021 10:30 PM BST
The Great Bruno rubbish again tonight, subbed early second half he never did a thing.

I said months ago, he's obviously talented but he's just not that good.  Done very little for months, awful in The Euros and as I pointed out, 50% of his goals are from the spot that most of us reading this could knock in.

No sorry he's a good player on his day but not that good I'm afraid.
Report REDROB September 1, 2021 10:50 PM BST
Some supporter you Lou, seem to spend all your time knocking players from your own club.

Also I take exception to you calling fergie Sir Alex but you refer to Sir Matt as busby. Fergie's legacy was the trophies they won, Matt Busbys legacy was Manchester United. All the heritage of the club was because of him.
Report HallGreenSpy September 1, 2021 11:34 PM BST
Silly big price bet for you lot if you're interested. Ronaldo 100/1 to score 10+ headed goals in PL with slybet. Seen worse 100-1 than that and you might get a run for your money. He got 2 tonight for Portugal and always been good with his headers.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 2, 2021 12:40 PM BST
Red

I love United as much as the next bloke but just saying it how it is.

Do you think Bruno's that good?  Was Dan James utterly rubbish?  Is Pogba often awful?  Does Rashford tend to just run into blocks of defenders?  Is Maguire worth all that we paid for him when he's surely not more than 7/10 is he? Is Fred no better than a player from Second/Third division? So I'm just telling the truth aren't I? 

I'd dearly love to see United win the league this year and we do have a chance but just being HONEST (you really should try it sometime it's nice telling the truth rather than lie about your team) I don't think we will.

Take your point about Sir Matt of course though fair enough.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 2, 2021 12:53 PM BST
I agree that we need to be honest about the quality of the players at United and the coaching.

I can't see us winning the league this year or next because we can't keep possession of the ball when put under pressure and that's down to coaching.

Watch City and the player with the ball at his feet usually has a couple of good options to use if pressured. That can't be said about United and I always feel nervous when our defence has the ball and are being pressured.
Report REDROB September 2, 2021 1:22 PM BST
Lou. Your main gripe seems to be with Bruno. When people on here question Ollys ability, you say it's the players fault, some of which have come to the club, including Bruno, while Ollys been in charge. So you can see why sometimes your arguments seem contradictory.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 2, 2021 2:26 PM BST
Red

I'm not denying Bruno has some quality of course not and I'd rather him be in the team that not it's just that I think United fans in particular, some other fans too and the press seem to think he's 'Wow' when he's far from that.  Like I said half of his goals are penalties (big deal) and often he does nothing in games let alone the fact he often loses the ball with misplaced passes but nobody says anything.

I like to be as accurate as I can to grade a player, sometimes even giving half a mark as I can't decide one way or the other so I ask you this:

Can we agree that De Bruyne is almost a 9/10 midfielder, personally I'd see he's 8.5 so let's for arguments say he's 8.5.  On that basis would you say Bruno would be graded close enough to that 8.5 to warrant an 8?  Surely he's not.  So let's drop down a touch more.  If De Bruyne is 8.5 is Bruno close enough to him to warrant a 7.5?  Again he's not is he?  So therefore our hero Bruno who gets all of the plaudits and is deemed our danger man from midfield an attacking ................. is actually about a 7/10 player.  So not that great is he?
Report REDROB September 2, 2021 2:42 PM BST
But in that position he's probably the best we've got. But why is he ?

Sancho & Varane haven't played 3 hours between them & Ronaldo's signing didn't meet with your approval either , so thats another 3 of Ollys signings.

Being a supporter means through thick and thin. We had the thick for over 20 years, now we've had 8 of thin, but the good times will return.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 2, 2021 4:12 PM BST
He's the best we've got because Mctominay is about 6.5/10, Matic 6/10 and Fred 5/10.  So his 7/10 is the best we've got unfortunately.

We'll have to see with the three signings you mention as they've hardly played at all but I just HOPE that Sancho is as good as all of the noises about him as we haven't really seen him because he was in Germany and let's be honest from the little we have seen so far he's done nothing and was particularly woeful against Wolves wasn't he?

Varane just looks a bit lightweight for the Premiership to me but I could well be wrong I sincerely hope so.

Ronaldo has been maybe the best in the world, possibly the best ever but he is 36 and obviously not as good as he was.  That said he got two good goals last night so I hope he's a success for us.
Report the_don September 2, 2021 6:36 PM BST
Come up with some players we should or should have signed then Lou! Let's not forget that Solskjaer will have some input at least into who we sign so if they aren't good enough he  is culpable.

For what it's worth I think Varane and Sancho are the right signings this summer for their positions. Ronaldo I'm not as sure of for the same reasons as most.

And I don't think many are saying Bruno Fernandes is brilliant all the time or never gives the ball away. But I remember the 6 months of football before he signed and we were going nowhere. A couple of years later and it's time for others to step up.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 2, 2021 6:54 PM BST
don

I don't particulaly know who we should sign.  Some players won't want to sign for us even.

I think Son at Spurs is a smashing player and of course Lewandowski is brilliant season after season but realistically we can't have them.

I wouldn't blame OGS if say Sancho flops.  He's no doubt taken in by all of the hype like most people.  It's very early days with him of course and I really hope I'm wrong but from the bit parts and the bits we've seen for England he hasn't done barely anything and last week against Wolves awas absolutely shocking.

Like I said I think Varane's a good player but just worry he looks a bit lightweight, almost 'Bambi like' with his thin legs.
Report olddesperado September 3, 2021 10:36 AM BST
You wouldn't blame ole for spending 70+ million and was willing to go to 120 million last year because he probably got taken in by the hype.

PMSL
Report duffy September 3, 2021 5:22 PM BST
REDROB 02 Sep 21 13:42 
Sancho & Varane haven't played 3 hours between them & Ronaldo's signing didn't meet with your approval either , so thats another 3 of Ollys signings.

I'd be very surprsed if Ole had anything to do with Ronaldo's signing, in fact I'd wonder whether he would be privately unnerved by it.

Off the back of last seasons unrest it is a quite obvious attempt by the board at appeasing the potential demonstrators by bringing a club idol back, and a massive commercial coup for them into the bargain and seeing as performance on the pitch matters not then it's a win win for the board.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 3, 2021 6:14 PM BST
You can't judge Sancho on 70 minutes of a game the whole team struggled in.

His stats from Germany show in a reasonably good side he delivers. 38 goals in 104 appearances
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 3, 2021 9:51 PM BST
SirNorbert

Yes of course I take your point and the German stats are good.

So fingers crossed he'll turn out to be a great player for United.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 7, 2021 6:25 PM BST
Aug 21 | Topic/replies: 387 | Blogger: SirNorbertClarke

Imagine being so consumed by something that you were powerless to change.

Imagine it eating away at your very being causing you to foam at the mouth and spend all day posting your venom on a forum with 20 users.

Imagine the futility of your life.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 10, 2021 9:12 AM BST
----you-have-to-laugh---
I'm pleased you have taken my words to heart but shouldn't you be on the politics forum re-posting Daily Mail articles about how BREXIT has caused a million and one ills?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 10, 2021 10:36 AM BST
Lol, I havnt taken your words to heart
I've spun them back at you.

You said it, it's what you think.

Imagine if you had a blog too, and
it was still there, on the same forum

And photos you uploaded and tagged
your new signing as gay

Just imagine that

Lol
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 10, 2021 10:38 AM BST

https://community.betfair.com/nobbyclarke/blog

Report PorcupineorPineapple September 10, 2021 11:37 AM BST
Oh my!

Surely this Tory-supporting, Surrey-dwelling, Utd-fan walking cliche isn't a homophobe too. And after all those comments about Liverpool fans last month.

Who'd have thought it
Report SirNorbertClarke September 10, 2021 2:36 PM BST
----you-have-to-laugh---
You don't think Ronaldo looks gay in that photo? Next you'll be telling me he doesn't look gay in Ronaldo flower photo either?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 6:44 PM BST
PP

In his defence you do realise that the Tories won the last election in a landslide so you appear to be the one 'backing the wrong horse' surely.

Let's vote Labour that's a good idea isn't it!!

PMSL
Report PorcupineorPineapple September 10, 2021 6:58 PM BST
Oh god, another tory Man U fan. Good to see them representing their working class background.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 7:02 PM BST
PP

But surely it's to each his own?

I'd rather vote Tory and back Brexit for my reasons and I appreciate you have yours for voting Labour that's fair enough isn't it?
Report cruso September 10, 2021 9:50 PM BST
With the firepower we now have Im expecting nothing less than the title  ( or very close )
My only concern is the midfield and what unfolds could be at the mercy of my least favorite Utd  player..
Is his last season with us going to be a walk in the park or a finale of glory..?
R/B could be a problem for off the field reasons.
Much will depend on Oles management and I hope he dosnt turn out to be the weak link.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 9:56 PM BST
cruso

You don't make it clear who you are talking about when you say "my least favourite Utd player"?

Also what does R/B mean?

How are we supposed to know all these things, can you be clearer in future please.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 10, 2021 10:01 PM BST
PP
I don't dwell in Surrey. I usually dwell between France and Portugal and I haven't voted since I was a teenager and then I voted LibDem.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 10, 2021 10:03 PM BST
In his defence you do realise that the Tories won the last election in a landslide so you appear to be the one 'backing the wrong horse' surely.

Glory hunters in politics too

Can't make it up

Like a les Dawson and Roy barraclough sketch
Report cruso September 10, 2021 10:15 PM BST
Mr Macari
If I have to explain  ... then I am in a different universe and you are a fish`n chip shop proprietor.
Report REDROB September 10, 2021 10:15 PM BST
Pogba his leasr fav player (his last season was the clue)

R/B = right back, due to driving convictions.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 10:29 PM BST
Red

Fair enough but whilst you may have picked up on that how is everyone else reading it supposed to know?

For a start where does it say for sure this is Pogba's last season and also the R/B I thought MIGHT have meant a feud between Ronaldo and Bruno so it just shows it's best to make things clear.

He's not a writer for 'Line of Duty' is he by any chance?

"The R/B said that if AC10 tell the GATT then we have to find the CWA by EOP"
Report cruso September 10, 2021 10:33 PM BST
Could need to go back for Trippier in the Jan window
Report cruso September 10, 2021 10:34 PM BST
Lou , Your cracking me up... briliant..
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 10:35 PM BST
cruso

That's better, clear, concise.

Keep up the good work.

I wish we'd have kept Williams, think he's played really well just about every time.  I'd rather him than Trippier for a start.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 10, 2021 10:36 PM BST
cruso

Did you mean "You're"?  As in You Are?
Report SirNorbertClarke September 10, 2021 10:43 PM BST
Brandon Williams is a victim of the culture that if we pay £80m for a player he must play no matter what but if they came through the academy then they will need to wait until the £80m player gets injured.

Garner should not be at NF. Martial should have been sold.
Report cruso September 10, 2021 10:47 PM BST
Yes hes a good prospect but needs time on the pitch.
Better on loan than join our ghost squad..
Henderson ( or de Gea ) time will tell
Jones (Happy to take the money ..& the shirt )
Bailly
Dalot
Lingard ( England but not Utd, will go for £5 million in Jan )
Donny ( needs to be given some sort of chance )
Martial ... hows he going to get in the team..? ( close second least fav bty )
Report olddesperado September 11, 2021 12:45 AM BST
I've watched Ronaldo a few times over the past year or so including the other night against ireland and the man doesn't do a thing anymore other than goal hang.
Not only does he not close down or run back but he doesn't even want to get involved in the build up play.

He's still a brilliant finisher and will score enough goals to be considered a success but at what cost.

We already have Pogba and Rashford and martial that do nothing to close down or chase back and while Greenwood does try he's lightweight in that department.

The one forward we have that works his socks off in Cavani will most likely be the one making way for Ronnie as I think they would be in each other's way.

When we last had him we had the two hardest working forwards in the league in Rooney and tevez and their work rate compensated for Ronaldo but he does even less now and we haven't got the work rate around him other than Fernandez this time.

It will put pressure on the rest of the team that will eventually collapse as the euphoria dies down imo.

I fully expect a win tomorrow  and probably a big one at that due to the novelty factor but over the next few weeks I expect this charade to reveal itself as a massive mistake although it will be spun differently with others taking the blame.
Report olddesperado September 11, 2021 9:04 AM BST
In what is another bit of proof that ole doesn't learn or can't make a tough decision is him stance on the penalty issue now.

Two years ago we had the crazy situation where ole wouldn't make a call and left it up to rashford and Pogba to decide among themselves on the pitch who takes them.

The result was it put so much added pressure on they both started missing.

Now his comments yesterday seem to hint at something similar with ronaldo and bruno where he says they know my feelings on it and I trust them both with my life taking one.

Its just weak management.
Report rommel September 11, 2021 9:29 AM BST
if the ronster takes over the frees then youre doomed and as od says above a further sign of ole weak as pish
Report loui September 11, 2021 12:14 PM BST
Lou, your of you're head
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 11, 2021 12:54 PM BST
Loui

I do like to see good punctuation though.  When I was about six or seven years old I knew the difference between Your and You're.

To, Too and Two is the other one.  How can people not know these things as adults?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 11, 2021 1:36 PM BST
To, too, and two shirley.
Report loui September 11, 2021 3:22 PM BST
There, their, theyre. Easy tiger.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 11, 2021 5:02 PM BST
loui

Yes a good one.  Watch how many people get it wrong though.  How totally thick are these people?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 11, 2021 5:08 PM BST
So here we go ........... the truth.

Thought it was very difficult breaking down an almost eleven man defence as I've pointed out many times.  Thankfully United got through in the end.

Ronaldo done his thing to be fair, not much more than that but to score two goals how bad is that.  I thought Lingard did well when he came on too and Pogba did too.

Greenwood was quiet as was Bruno apart from his goal but once again can somebody tell me what Sancho done?  He's had the last couple of games now plus a couple of bits and pieces in the other games and I've seen absolutely nothing that makes him any better than Port Vale's winger.  I'm not exaggerating there, how much worse could that Port Vale winger have done?

So going along nicely and in with a shout this year.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 11, 2021 6:03 PM BST
Boasting about knowing about there, their, they're, two, too and to etc etc? What has the our education system come to!
Report SirNorbertClarke September 11, 2021 6:58 PM BST
Will Ronaldo play on Tuesday?

My guess is with the West Ham game being on a Sunday Ronny will want to add to his Champions League tally of 134 goals in 176 appearances
Report rothko September 11, 2021 7:24 PM BST
congratulations to the glaziers
what a brilliant piece of business
all the press full of ronaldo and utd
Report the_don September 12, 2021 9:38 AM BST
As above, the day and build up was totally overblown and the money men will be delighted. Thought Ronaldo did quite well, some decent movement in the first half where the ball wasn't quite right for him. He's still got a bit of a burst to make space to get a shot off as shown for his second goal.

Newcastle defended in numbers, no problem with that. But their time-wasting - mainly the keeper- from the very start was ridiculous. I actually thought Sancho looked bright despite usually being up against 2 or 3 defenders and just needs to get to know his team mates and whether they want an early cross, ball into feet etc etc. It was his first home start for us.

Will probably mention the midfield weakness after every game but I didn't understand the set up yesterday. If you're against a so called weaker team and are dominant in possession and have Matic and Pogba in the middle I don't see why you'd have Pogba picking the ball up off the centre backs 45 yards out. Get him further up where Bruno is and where he helped create the 4th goal. Playing him deeper has been proved not to work in an attacking or defensive sense.
Report olddesperado September 12, 2021 11:44 AM BST
Yep pretty good analysis don.

The midfield is a big concern .

Even with our defence strengthened we could have conceded 4 or 5 to a poor side yesterday.

Wan bissaka is gone backwards and Maguire is poor enough at the moment.

Because of the personnel we currently have I'd go back to a double pivot unfortunately.

Pogba Bruno Ronnie and one other in the front 4 and 2 of Fred matic or mctom behind.

Yesterday proved again even against the weakest teams we are vulnerable with just one holder and the last 5 years have shown us Pogba is wasted there.

Ronnie was a lot more mobile than I'd seen of him recently.
Report the_don September 12, 2021 12:54 PM BST
I've said before I'd only play Pogba in a more attacking role. You wouldn't move Bruno, van de Beek or Lingard back to play there. There will hopefully be big games later on where players will have to be left out but until then rotation and less reliance on a small number of players is a difference we need from the last season or 2.

I'd like to see a slight change where the help for the right winger comes from a midfielder getting forward rather than Wan Bissaka. Opposition are still letting him have the ball and surely we're better if he stays back or covers the middle while a player with more threat gets further forward. He (AWB) stays back to cover on corners etc and though he's improved a bit going forward his pace and 1 on 1 ability defensively means it's a bit of a waste him going forward.
Report the_don September 12, 2021 12:59 PM BST
Ronaldo seems to be one of the most professional players there is and you'd like to think he's got a point to prove in coming back and hearing a few doubters. I certainly don't get the feeling he's here purely for a final big payday.

I actually think he'll improve is most in games like yesterday, to bag goals against the weaker opposition we should be beating, rather than getting goals against the top sides.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 12, 2021 1:41 PM BST
These days I don't think Ronaldo needs to play football for the money. I think it's all about goals.

Against the top sides such as City & Liverpool we usually play a counterattacking game and I'm not sure Ronaldo could beat VvD or Dias from the half-way line.

But if we are to challenge for the title we need to beat all the teams other than City & Liverpool so we do need Ronaldo's insane desire to score goals.

Nowadays he may be a flat-track bully but he's our flat-track bully Grin
Report HallGreenSpy September 13, 2021 12:03 AM BST
The man scores goals simple. Even simpler when the opposition goalie gives em on a plate but you have to be there. He'll do well and if you can scroll back far enough you will see I said I dreaded the day when he came back. Still, there is enough shortfalls in the team to compensate I hope.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 1:07 PM BST
There can be no excuses tonight.  If you're thinking you're one of the best half a dozen teams in it and in with some chance of possibly even winning the trophy then surely you have to beat the mighty 'Young Boy's' by two or three tonight.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 14, 2021 3:29 PM BST
If Ronaldo starts, he scores.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 14, 2021 5:28 PM BST
The don

Newcastle goalie is always like that
(when I've seen him) odd to watch, just looks
to freeze. Needs to wake up if hes
to make it.

Was even worse in league cup
at home at 0-0

Bizarre.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Well what can I say.

Yes it's very hard to play with a man down for two thirds of the game away from home and to be fair to them I thought Young Boys looked as decent side rather than the cannon fodder I thought they'd be.  I think they'll give anyone a game, looked decent.

Thought it a bit harsh on Wan Bissaka though, yes it was a foul and yes it looked quite nasty but I don't think he meant it, specially him he hardly even ever fouls anyone he's just not that type.  Suppose to the ref had to send him off though and after that United were swamped and just trying to hold on.

5th minute of injury time though again hard to take though again to be fair how many times have United got late goals.

So summing up a terrible result I thought United were looking quite good till the sending off.  Ronaldo scores again (what's new) and Sancho for the half an hour he was on was rubbish .......... what's new.
Report salmon spray September 14, 2021 8:06 PM BST
Is this Sancho a dud or is he "settling-in" ?
Report PorcupineorPineapple September 14, 2021 8:58 PM BST
Excellent game management from the boss. Sending off, he makes some changes to ensure Utd aren't overrun. Result? Utd utterly overrun.
Report cruso September 14, 2021 9:14 PM BST
Sancho, Pogba & Lingard all at Parklife on Saurday night.
Make of that what you will but wouldn`t have been allowed in Fergies day.

A bit worrying how Utd capitulated after the red card.
Varane a bit slow for the equalizer I think..
Lingards back pass from 30 yards though a crowd of players was just criminal and in in the dying seconds too.
He should be left behind and exiled to the top of an Alp..
There is just no logic in that.
Once again we lose away to the `weakest` team in the group.
Having said that the manager picked the team and made the vital substitutions & tactical changes and the buck stops with him.
Surely they practice this sort of situation in training..
Report rommel September 14, 2021 9:35 PM BST
LOU MACARI WORLD..... I think they'll give anyone a game, looked decent.
Report GLASGOWCALLING September 14, 2021 10:04 PM BST
  .... Scored in Fergie Time. ...

Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 10:20 PM BST
Salmon spray 14 Sep 21 19:06 

Is this Sancho a dud or is he "settling-in" ?

No he's a Dud I'm afraid.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 10:21 PM BST
cruso

Yes OGS made the awful pass back in the final minute so it's his fault.

Oh hang on a minute?
Report lurka September 14, 2021 10:39 PM BST
OGS fault for going into yet another season without a midfield partnership that works. Sign all the strikers and centre halves you want, you are not going to bridge the gap with those midfielders. It's been like that from day 1 since he took over and he didn't even try to address it this summer despite spending big. He's happy with Fred, Pogba, Matic and McTominay in central midfield. That is 100% on him.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 10:46 PM BST
lurka

How do you know he's happy with them and what about Bruno isn't he our main attacking midfielder?  He's overrated granted but he's decent isn't he?

He was probably after Grealish, the Spanish guy who plays for Athletico, possibly Rice too (who I don't rate myself he's just another stopper) so again if the club won't pay the money or the players don't want to come how's that Ole's fault?

They've had a good start in the league and surely it was no way his fault they had a man sent off and Lingard gave them the winning goal in injury time?

Come on be fair.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 14, 2021 10:49 PM BST
A top team would have seen that out.

Great to see all the haters loving it; proves theirs are still little clubs.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 14, 2021 10:52 PM BST
Norbert

Very harsh on us with the very last second after a shocking individual mistake.  Just don't see how everyone seems to want to blame OGS for everything.

It rained all day today was that OGS fault too?
Report SirNorbertClarke September 14, 2021 11:03 PM BST
It's OGS's job to ensure the team (and I mean the coaches too) know what to do after a defensive or attacking red card.

Every game should have a Risk Assessment and migrations.

One of those mitigations should be when playing around the box with seconds to go stick the ball in row Z asap.
Report lurka September 14, 2021 11:24 PM BST
Be fair? He's had 3 summer windows now. He's watched Herrera go to PSG and didn't replace him and has spent all his money on strikers, wingers and centre halves and he's spent a lot. Midfield is the most important area of the pitch and is all about a partnership of players which compliment each other and who can start attacks and protect the defence at the same time and control the game.

United were crying out for a top class midfielder since before he arrived. That's why they signed the likes of Herrera, Fred, Pogba etc. They haven't had a functional central midfield for a decade. You can assume that it's all down to the board not buying who he wanted or players not wanting to come but given the type of players he's brought in, the money he's spent and using occam's razor, it is safer to assume that he doesn't have a clue how to build a proper central midfield partnership. The fact that he again spent big on Ronaldo and Varane and went into the season with the same 4 CMs tells you that.

I'm not talking about where Bruno plays. I'm talking about the two he usually plays in front of the defence. Bruno does not play in that area. He plays in the opposition half. You are talking about two from Pogba, Matic, Fred, McTominay and no combination of them provides the right balance. It's either lacking in the offensive or defensive department or both. Rice would be a massive improvement on the last 3 of those. So would even the likes of Doucoure or Ndidi. It's about getting someone like that who will mop up and let Pogba free to do his thing or else getting two new midifelders and playing pogba elsewhere in a different system. Fred is a disaster and should have been replaced in his first window.

It seems he has a complete blindspot for that area of the pitch because he's ignored it repeatedly while repeatedly spending to bolster his attack and defence. You have to assume he thinks it's working at this stage.
Report HallGreenSpy September 15, 2021 11:59 AM BST
Bit early to be calling sancho a dud I reckon. It's not the Bruno attacking midfield position that is the problem. It's the defensive holding midfield position that United have yet to address. imo.
Report duffy September 15, 2021 4:14 PM BST
Young Boys 2
Old Man 1

Personally I think that Ronnie coming in and taking the role of player manager which, like it or not is what he is, will prove beyond him.

What it will do though is hasten the departure of OGS because once the sh1t really hits the fan that dressing room, with it's current inhabitants will become toxic and he is simply not big enough of a character to be able to hold any semblance of control.

Back to the weekend and the most notable image for many United fans would have been the sight of Ronaldo walking out at OT but it really wasn't.

The sight of any member of the Glazer family taking his seat at OT a mere few months ago would have been unthinkable, but there he was on Saturday proud as punch and no doubt musing to himself that everyone has their price and by producing the fatted calf he had achieved it.
Report PLACEWISE September 15, 2021 4:48 PM BST
Look like a decent bet to lift Europa league possibly
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 15, 2021 5:18 PM BST
duffy

So where is your actual factual evidence that Ronaldo is now 'The Player Manager'?

What a load of of fcukin tosh.  Yes he's a big character of course but OGS is the manager of Manchester United Football Club.  Now that is a FACT.

Stop talking nonsense man ffs
Report rommel September 15, 2021 5:37 PM BST
agree entirely with LOU,wtf are you lot on,CR is a player,one of the worlds greats coming to the end of his career,so he just marches into OT n takes over?
Report brentford September 15, 2021 5:38 PM BST
The United think tank when 1-0 up and with 10 men made the inspired choice of leaving both Ronaldo and Pogba on, neither of whom cover anything like enough ground to be viable at that stage , finally made the required sub when it was already too late by bringing off the wrong one Ronaldo (1-1) - probably didn't dare do it earlier anyway and left Pogba on to the end !! trotting about like a low key training session ...the Lingard error was unfortunate though notably occurred as a result of him playing in an unfamiliar role and in many ways was justice for the gross mis-management of the game by the three wise monkeys...
Report duffy September 15, 2021 5:39 PM BST
Lou,

Try not to take everything too literal, I was indicating that IMO, if and when things really go south Ole will be overcome and won't be able to control these "type" of players and if he actually finds himself in a direct confrontation with Ronaldo he will lose the battle he certainly won't get any support from the board, just as Mourinho, a far bigger character lost out in  his battle with Pogba.

If it was up to him I don't think Ole would have had Ronaldo anywhere near the place.
Report rommel September 15, 2021 5:44 PM BST
why does anyone assume that CR will go into management,he's a billionaire-doesnt need the aggro
Report duffy September 15, 2021 5:50 PM BST
rommel 15 Sep 21 16:37 
agree entirely with LOU,wtf are you lot on,CR is a player,one of the worlds greats coming to the end of his career,so he just marches into OT n takes over?

Uh, yes,

The United dressing room is rudderless, what do you think will happen when a club legend and perhaps the biggest personality and ego in word football waltzes back into the club, oh and as far as the board are concerned a walking money making machine?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 15, 2021 5:51 PM BST
duffy

But that's all just your opinion.

I could say "I think that Ole thinks it's the best decision in the history of football to have Ronaldo back" which is completely contradictory to what you say.

ffs stick to the facts.

Defender sent off ......... your fault? No.  My fault? No.  OGS fault ............. NO!

Lingard back pass.......... your fault? No.  My fault? No.  OGS fault ............. NO!

I've had trouble with my car today .............. must be OGS fault!
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B September 15, 2021 5:53 PM BST
I can't see what rommel writes but on this occasion I can where you've cut and pasted it.

For once I agree with him.
Report rommel September 15, 2021 6:06 PM BST
CR should have walked away from real or even juve and said thats it but he's taken one more bite and the denouement may not be pretty....
Report duffy September 15, 2021 6:06 PM BST
Yes, only my opinion.

Ronaldo's return has nothing to do with long term thinking and everything to do with commercial gain and with the added bonus of paying off many disgruntled fans.

For instance we will have to take for granted that Greenwood's now stunted progress on the playing field will be made up for by what he "learns" from Ronaldo on the training ground.

By the way, I hope it all works out but I can see a potential bigger downside just waiting to play out.

None of Ronaldo's arrival is going to help out just how bad we are when we lose the ball and that's the biggest problem we have.
Report rommel September 15, 2021 6:09 PM BST
the shirt sales might dry up when the make-up starts flying out the handbag
Report SirNorbertClarke September 15, 2021 8:14 PM BST
josé mourinho @KingMourinho CONTE IS LITTERALLY UNEMPLOYED !!??? @ManUtd

Revenge is a dish best eaten cold.

Last night was a complete ****how. No way can we challenge for titles if we can't shut-up shop against teams like Young Boys.
Report olddesperado September 16, 2021 6:02 AM BST
" that's football for you,  we learn from this and we go again ".

" we're improving year on year but we're not there yet "

" christianio was lonely on his own,  I suppose I could have moved a midfielder nearer to him "

Some nuggets from our esteemed manager Tuesday night.
Report rommel September 16, 2021 6:27 AM BST
when Ole first came in i thought his inanity was concerning,platitudes that might've pushed utd  fans buttons yep but drivel all the same,i think his thinking is a mush of not much.team/bench selection formation tactics....selction of subs and their timing...
Report olddesperado September 16, 2021 10:43 AM BST
The next two CL games will tell us a lot about solskaer and his philosophy on the team and improving the players available to him.

Both are at home and the rational thing would be to go like for like and give Dalot a chance to prove himself up to pushing a regressing AWB.

However his mindset is to only trust a very small core of senior players and for that reason I feel he will play lindolof out of position rather than the former which would be the best long term decision in the interest of the club going forward.

I'd even go as far as to play Dalot Sunday to give him a boost and maybe find out a bit about him and see if he has it to replace wan bissaka long term.

I just don't see ole being that brave though.
Report duffy September 16, 2021 3:07 PM BST
We must remember that all opinions on Ole's ability must be tempered by the fact that he was not appointed on the basis of his managerial ability.

The qualities that attracted the board to him were his ability to be just happy to be there and their faith in him that he'd never rock the boat, never more greatly apparent than in the recent arrival of Ronaldo which may well provide the catalyst that sounds his death knell.
Report Emitdeb September 16, 2021 3:52 PM BST
Ronaldo's not going to sit back and watch his ineptness... there were signs during the Young Boys match... imo.
Report olddesperado September 16, 2021 4:30 PM BST
There were signs I believe  Emitdeb.

I didn't actually notice it myself but I read somewhere he was up standing beside ole giving out instructions after coming off.

I sure ole will deal with it by never taking him off again.
Report rommel September 16, 2021 4:50 PM BST
if Ole just lets his managership  be smothered and strangled by the ronster he will never be employed in the game again
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com