Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 10801 comments are related to the topic:
Liverpool Discussion Thread

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 5 of 271  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | 271 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 10,801
By:
Ahoy 1982
When: 23 Jul 18 17:03
At least Shaquri can fill in there ccm and he's a very good option imo but the gap between our front 3 and the replacements is huge and something that will need to be addressed, I believe this is why we'll still get Feckir.
By:
Nilsson Schmilsson
When: 23 Jul 18 18:48
fab, keita, lallana.

think if Lallana can keep fit he will be very important.  so many options at the moment i think 2 or 3 might be asking how much game time they are likely to be getting
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 23 Jul 18 20:12
Another excellent piece from Melissa Reddy:

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/level-up-behind-the-upgrade-in-liverpools-transfer-strategy-191274
By:
rothko
When: 23 Jul 18 21:18
yes excellent article

I think the quality of the squad has never been so strong
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 07:28
Sturridge on Keita: “I haven’t seen a midfielder like him for a while, he is something different. It’s crazy. The things he can do with the ball – he can defend, he can pass, he can dribble, he is fast, he is strong. He has got everything.”
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 07:33
Pleased with the list of names that we are rumoured to be moving on, but think the £100m figure is a bit hopeful. I mean who is going to pay £27m for Origi, even in this daft market?! Fancy we’d get closer to £70m for them all myself.
By:
Latalomne
When: 24 Jul 18 07:37
Who'd have thought we could get £12.5m for Ward?
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 07:42
Don’t think that’s too crazy tbh Lat... he was excellent for Huddersfield last season and a vital part of their promotion.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 07:42
Season before last I mean sorry.
By:
Latalomne
When: 24 Jul 18 08:19
Will have to take your word for that, but if he was so excellent, how come he never got a go for us?
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 24 Jul 18 08:32
Firstly - I know, I know...

But watching the friendlies so far, there's a real relationship between Keita and Sturridge. The new guy seems to be seeking out Studge almost all the time.

Reminded me of last pre-season when Coutinho instantly developed a rapport with Salah.

Talent recognises talent and all that.

Hopefully his jaw will just hit the floor when he sees the options Mane, Firmino and Salah give him. But I wonder if now that Sturridge has seen that life at another club, being first choice isn't necessarily brilliant, he might just be happier to play second fiddle. Should be a good amount of time to be had with the WC and everything.
By:
rothko
When: 24 Jul 18 08:50
will be a big year for some of the younger players trying to break through

Woodburn and Ojo to name but 2
It is a big year for Solanke - make or break
we have quite a big squad
A few have gone out on loan with Rangers looking like a preferred destination
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 08:51
Its not my word for it Lat... its Huddersfield fans and the fact they wanted to re-sign him last season but we wouldnt let him leave.

The rumour was he didnt train hard enough for Klopp's liking. Guess we will never know.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 24 Jul 18 08:57
Actually, a quote just in:

I love it here. I love the lads and the banter in the group is unbelievable. I feel at home again.

I’m probably just doing more. It’s important for me to try to get involved.

Playing on the shoulder is what I like to do but it’s also important to come and get involved and get in and around the opposition’s No.6. It’s adding more strings to my bow and giving the manager more options if he needs to play me deeper.

But wherever I play, it doesn’t matter – it’s just important to get the minutes.

The bit about defending from the front is interesting given the accusations of laziness seemed the most sticky with him. Maybe the penny's dropped.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 24 Jul 18 09:00
I think Woodburn is due to spend a year with a Championship club. Would imagine Ojo will too.

We have to hope that we cash in on both Origi and Ings now, leaving us with Firmino, Salah, Sturridge, Solanke and then Brewster as potential central attackers.

I wonder if it's worth sending Solanke on loan, with a call back option. No doubt he can learn a lot in working with the players here but maybe a new experience and some competitive playing might accelerate his development.
By:
anxious
When: 24 Jul 18 09:04
Its all looking good for you guys , big signings , backed for title ,  positive noises and vibes , what could possibly go wrong before a ball has been kicked either ?
By:
rothko
When: 24 Jul 18 09:16
how is brewster - is he still injured?

Solanke will stay as would leave us a bit short if ings and Origi go
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 09:34
If Bobby were to get injured I think both Mane and Salah could play that false nine role and Shaqiri fill in for either one of them.

Just cant bring myself to get excited about Sturridge PoP. Obviously be delighted to be proved wrong, but pre-season form has been proved to be all but worthless in my eyes. And he will just never work hard enough for a Klopp attacker... he cant physically do it.
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 24 Jul 18 09:41
I know, and started my post with a caveat.

I just love him to bits though. Incredibly talented player. If (and it's a big if) he could adapt his game so he did some of the Firmino-type harrying and keep his predatory game then...

But yeah, summer's a time for romance and optimism and I'm probably just getting carried away.
By:
Latalomne
When: 24 Jul 18 09:44
I'm in the CCM camp.  Even if he can adapt his game, how long can he do it for before he's crock again?  I personally would cash in, unless the medical team genuinely think they've got a handle on him now.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 09:44
Yeah you are bang on... if you cant feel optimistic in the summer, then when can you!
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 09:49
I was talking to a Stoke squad player a few weeks ago and he was telling me about a game where he was on the bench and Klopp b0llocked Sturridge non stop for the whole time he was on the pitch. Apapparently he just kept shouting 'Run Danny, ****g run' the whole time!
By:
Latalomne
When: 24 Jul 18 09:51
LaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 24 Jul 18 09:55
I think - in my defence - I'd be seeing him more as a benchwarmer or someone to play when Firmino needs a break. I'm not daft enough to expect a 50-game season from him of Firmino type lunacy!

I think Solanke has talent and can go on to be very good, but if we're goalless going into the last 15 minutes against West Ham in a couple of weeks, I'd prefer to see Studge warming up than him.
By:
Latalomne
When: 24 Jul 18 10:31
Looking at his minutes per goal stats across his Liverpool career, it's no coincidence (or surprise) that they're far better when he's starting a string of games rather than coming off the bench.  Barring injury, it's impossible to see that happening.  He's out of contract next June.  I still think I'd be looking to cash in, though I completely get where you're coming from re Solanke.  He definitely needs game time, somewhere.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 24 Jul 18 12:02
I would definitely rather cash in, but I suppose the ball is firmly in his court. One year left on his £150k per week contract... and clearly never going to earn anything remotely close to that again. Can blame him for staying really... he will also get a nice signing on fee somewhere as a free agent next summer.

Our only hope would be someone doing something like West Brom did and maybe getting a chunk of his wages back from a loan deal, but seeing how little impact he made there last season, cant believe there will be many suitors.

Think we are stuck with him and just have to hope he is really motivated by the fact he's out of contract next summer. But agree entirely with you that its a bit of a vicious circle. Not going to get anywhere near his best if he isnt playing much, and he probably wont be.
By:
loui
When: 24 Jul 18 12:17
Think West Ham should come in for him. Him and Andy Carroll up front, the dream team
By:
REDUNDANT PUNTER
When: 24 Jul 18 13:09
Sturridge still has good feet can create from nothing and is a good goal scorer the option of giving him game time when teams are beaten or behind is a good option

He can look poor at times when used that way but he’s still got ability in the final third and if ur desperate for a goal he’s an option if only based on his record

Of course fitness is an issue but that’s just what can happen we need variety
By:
REDUNDANT PUNTER
When: 24 Jul 18 13:10
As for karius he will br Germany world up keeper in next World Cup imo
By:
charwell.
When: 24 Jul 18 13:20
Sturridge was a beast a few seasons ago. However, being made of poppadoms and having lost his crucial dart of pace I cannot see how he can make any sort of meaningful contribution.

Re Karius: I agree with Rothko. Karius should just STFU. IF we were in a job were we continually made costly errors then we would be praying we kept our job! He is still being very well paid and, considering the clangers he has consistently made, how he can moan about his treatment is beyond me Crazy He is the epitome of the spoilt, ego inflated, social media ****; modern day footballer. He is a grown man and professional so should just concentrate on buckling down and trying to become a better player.

Anyways.....season draws closer and if we can shift the deadwood like Origi and Markovic perhaps we could still see Fekir here yet....... Mischief
By:
pushkin99
When: 24 Jul 18 20:15
13/14 is but a long (and lovely) memory now charwell, aand it was an amazing start with Sturridge scoring in those first three 1-0 wins during Suazez's absence.

However, and very sadly, it must be pretty obvious to all and sundry that Sturridge has had soooo many chances over the years but is let down by having the pain threshold of a gnat as he steals a living. Other clubs know this and after WBA, I cant see any of them taking him on loan, let alone paying a transfer fee. So he will continue milking the club for £150k a week until his current contract expires.

Come next summer, I can only see any club taking him on, in a pay as u play type basis, after seeing how he has taken both Liverpool and WBA on such a ride over the years.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 25 Jul 18 06:51
When you see Stoke using almost all the Shaqiri money to sign Tom Ince, it makes you realise what a bargain we got!
By:
duncan idaho
When: 25 Jul 18 14:04
Daniel Sturridge to get another chance at Liverpool after impressing Klopp

• Liverpool had been ready to offload player for £20m last season
• Striker could be in starting lineup to face West Ham

Press Association
Wed 25 Jul 2018 12.19 BST

Jürgen Klopp has been impressed by Daniel Sturridge’s pre-season and is prepared to give the striker another chance.

Last summer Liverpool were ready to offload the 28-year-old to anyone willing to pay £20m as his poor injury record had made him unreliable. Sturridge went to West Brom on loan in January but was injured early on and managed just six appearances.

Gareth Southgate was right not to take me to World Cup, admits Adam Lallana
Read more
With 12 months left on his contract it seemed Sturridge’s Anfield career was over but he has looked sharp in his five friendly games and Klopp, who became frustrated by the player’s unavailability last season, is prepared to hand him a lifeline.

“We’re not in doubt – and nobody was ever in doubt – about his quality,” he said. “In this moment he looks really good to be honest. That’s cool – really cool for him and cool for us.

“[It’s] a very important moment for him. I am in talks with him, what he feels. I don’t want to make him the most physically strong player in the squad or whatever. The most physically strong player in the squad cannot play football like Daniel Sturridge and he has no possibility to be that, to be the marathon man of the team, but he can be a very decisive player.”

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.
Sturridge could be in line to start the Premier League campaign at home to West Ham in just over a fortnight’s time with Roberto Firmino – along with new goalkeeper and fellow Brazil international Alisson – rejoining the squad only at next week’s training camp in France.

The extended break for Croatia’s World Cup runner-up Dejan Lovren means there is an opening in central defence alongside Virgil van Dijk against West Ham and Joel Matip’s early return from the United States because of injury puts Joe Gomez in pole position.

Gomez missed the end of the season after ankle surgery but has struck up a good relationship with Van Dijk and that could get him the nod over Ragnar Klavan.

“He is a good guy, he was skipper at Southampton and is for Holland, and his presence is felt within the camp,” said Gomez on his Dutch teammate. “It’s a pleasure to play alongside him. Hopefully I can keep learning from him and keep progressing.

“We get on well off the pitch – he’s like my big brother. It’s a pleasure to play with him and it’s about learning from him. He is experienced, and I’ve got time to grow into that position [centre-back]. I enjoy playing there; hopefully we can build and keep progressing together.”
By:
stridingedge
When: 25 Jul 18 16:51
Sturridge would still be the one if fit on the bench out of Ings/Solanke and Origi that I would have some hope could come on and do something.but would I expect Sturridge to sat fit for more than a few consecutive games the answer of course would havce to be a resounding NO.

Origi looks pretty brain dead to me in terms of basic footballing intelligence, Solanke has not impressed me nearly every time i've seen him get minutes and Ings is limited too.

Curtis Jones been brilliant pre season, very accomplished on the ball of course it's virtually impossible for any of these lads to actually come through and make the jump but I'd be surprised if he can't have a decent career somewhere if not with us.
By:
stridingedge
When: 25 Jul 18 16:52
*stay fit
By:
jedi sophie
When: 26 Jul 18 08:06
Do we get to keep CITY now?ExcitedLaugh
By:
jedi sophie
When: 26 Jul 18 08:41
Mourinho has broken cover early chaps eh...We must have the arrogant ignorant prick worried.
Never says anything without an agenda...
Pleasing read.

And for him to comment on OUR spending,well truly astonishing, unsurprising but astonishing.

Following on from his touchline comments, a worried,troubled little cretin throwing his toys out because not had HIS usual quarter of a billion to spunk on dross.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 26 Jul 18 11:45
Was just coming on to post the same jedi... started with his sh1te earlier than usual!

The irony of him still having a squad that cost millions more than ours seems to go completely over his head.
By:
themover
When: 26 Jul 18 11:52

Jul 26, 2018 -- 3:06AM, jedi sophie wrote:

Do we get to keep CITY now?

think you might have to win some silverware first Wink

By:
degsy42
When: 26 Jul 18 11:59

Jul 26, 2018 -- 3:41AM, jedi sophie wrote:

Mourinho has broken cover early chaps eh...We must have the arrogant ignorant prick worried.Never says anything without an agenda...Pleasing read.And for him to comment on OUR spending,well truly astonishing, unsurprising but astonishing.Following on from his touchline comments, a worried,troubled little cretin throwing his toys out because not had HIS usual quarter of a billion to spunk on dross.

some call it brilliant mourinho tactics - i call it rattled and bullsh1t , hope that helps

Page 5 of 271  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | 271 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com