Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 10801 comments are related to the topic:
Liverpool Discussion Thread

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 271  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 271 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 10,801
By:
rothko
When: 17 Jul 18 21:38
wow guys you must watch different games to me

got absolutely bullied by Lukaku against the mancs and again against Dzeko
he struggles against a physical centre forward but I've seen him have decent games against more mobile center forwards like jesus
I agree with RP
By:
pushkin99
When: 17 Jul 18 21:44
I also agree with yr sentiments RP and rothko about Lovren............................just hope we are all wrong as the brilliant Croatia and Klopp seem to rate him highly...............
By:
pushkin99
When: 17 Jul 18 22:17
In Klopp we trust.
By:
Ahoy 1982
When: 17 Jul 18 23:11
Not sold on lovren myself but I would give him another chance, if we sign this keeper and the French lad it's potentially  the greatest transfer window in the clubs history, hard not to get excited, considering where we were when klopp took over it really is incredible.
By:
FIGJAM
When: 18 Jul 18 10:47
What a huge week lads. Sounds like deals for the keeper and Fekir are both very close.

Our first XI looks ridiculous if we get them both. Probably even better than City imo. Very, very exciting times!

LOL
By:
Ahoy 1982
When: 18 Jul 18 11:28
Very good retort!!
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 11:32
Whats so funny Figjam?

Take me through the first choice XI's and point out whats 'Laugh Out Loud' funny.

Much obliged.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 11:40
The difference with us and City is still squad depth. They seem to have two world class players for every position.

Our squad is improving drastically all the time.... but we would still be very exposed in certain positions. Bobby Firmino is fast becoming the critical player in the squad as we simply have nobody close to the same level in his position.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 12:16
If I was offered my choice of the City squad to add to our first XI, I honestly don't think I would choose that many. If you were going for a 4-3-3 which both sides do play:

Keeper - Obviously haven't seen that much of Alisson, but he's ahead of Ederson in the Brazil pecking order which suggests he's at least as good.

CB's - VVD the clear pick from either team. Second pick isn't easy... Lovren has looked good with VVD... is he much better or worse than Otamendi or Laporte? Neither stood out to me last season. A fit and 100% Kompany would be the obvious choice, but how often can you say he's that?

Full backs - Walker and Robertson. Easy decision.

Centre mid - Bit of a grey area as none of us know just how good Fabinho or Keita are going to be, but Ive watched a lot of Keita and I think he will be one of the stars of next season. Fernandinho is a good player, but he's not getting any younger and I cant believe he is much better than Fabinho. Overall, not much in it.

Attacking mid - De Bruyne. Easy decision

Attacking three - Firmino, Mane, Salah. No interest in changing these three. Sane is class, and could understand if some might think he's better than Mane, but there isnt much in it.

Presumably you are laughing out loud at this post too Figgy.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 12:24
One good thing to come from this summer: The FSG out mugs should be quiet for a while.
By:
mafeking
When: 18 Jul 18 12:35
CCM, sure you've spent a lot of money. at least 6 signings of £40M+ in the last 12 months but you can't just take it for granted that players who've never played in this league are gonna hit the ground running and tear up the league. it rarely works like that
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 13:35
Yeah of course mafe, see my comment in the previous post: Bit of a grey area as none of us know just how good Fabinho or Keita are going to be

But we also have every right to be positive about the signings, as our record with new players recently is very good.

I also feel the bar for the players they are replacing isnt that high. Does anyone really think Alisson won't be better than Karius?

Will Fabinho and Keita not be better than the likes of the Ox, Milner and Wijnaldum for example? The latter are good solid players but not world beaters. Id be less positive if the new signings were coming in to replace the likes of VVD, Firmimo, Mane, Salah for example.
By:
mafeking
When: 18 Jul 18 14:18
think you've got a fair way to go to be mixing it with city over the course of the season

in the CL final i know all the focus went on the karius mistakes but after being largely on top in the early stages you did seem to shrink visibly after salah went off as though the players knew they couldn't win without him

stating the obvious but the front 3 is so important to you. lot of work to do on the rest of the team. even with the new goalkeeper 3 of the 5 back positions are still suspect. 2 inexperienced full backs and lovren an accident waiting to happen. your midfield does have a lot of strength in depth now so should be better able to provide protection
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 14:22
I find it very surprising you think Andy Robertson is in any way 'suspect' tbh. He was absolutely excellent last season.

Lovren has barely put a foot wrong since VVD arrived. An 'accident waiting to happen' is media type hyperbole. Remind me of the last clanger he made if you can?
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 14:25
And Im not denying we will struggle to match City over the course of the season in the slightest. The points gap is way too big to close in one season. As I posted before, their squad is still significantly better than ours.

All I said was that I think our first XI will probably be better than theirs.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 14:26
FWIW, I think the Spurs first XI is also comparable to ours and City's. But like us, you've suffered with squad depth problems and arent addressing these as significantly as we are.
By:
charwell.
When: 18 Jul 18 14:53
CCM I simply don't get your Lovren love in Crazy. He looks good at times but sometimes he is worse than a pub player. He is the sort of player who always has big mistakes in him and he makes me very nervous. My mate is a big saints fan and said exactly this when we signed him. He can't be trusted and needs to be improved upon. Robertson is good but still gets caught out defensively and some people have gone a little OTT because he was cheap and replaced the unpopular Moreno.

City have marginally a better side on paper; (Sane is better than Mane btw) but a much better squad. Spurs side is no way comparable to ours and City's now. A v, v good and extremely solid side but they don't quite have the flair game changers or squad strength either.

But hey, loving the business we are doing and to me it appears that realistically we are the only ones who potentially could surpass City in the league if they take their eye off the ball.
By:
Twoboyz
When: 18 Jul 18 15:06
Alisson looks done
By:
Wesdag
When: 18 Jul 18 15:09
5 year deal
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 15:14
Love in Laugh

Im not saying he's world class charwell. But he is nowhere near as bad as some make out. Can you tell me the last bad game he had for us?
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 15:17
Im, not sure I could unequivocally state Sane is better than Mane tbh. Nothing in it for me.

Spurs side is no way comparable to ours

Just cant understand your thinking here. Spurs best XI is excellent. Definitely comparable.
By:
mafeking
When: 18 Jul 18 15:19
looks like we'll lose alderweireld although he hardly featured from october onwards and maybe it's the time to move dembele on. feels like his injuries are becoming more frequent and he takes time to get back up to speed. we could do with another centre half, someone in midfield and as always some proper cover for kane. easier said than done though getting a top class player to come and say how do fancy only playing 10 games a season ? our biggest boost this season should be returning to tottenham in what looks a magnificent new stadium. it was a hard slog playing at wembley all season even though the results were pretty good. just didn't feel like home for players and fans alike and you're just far away from the pitch there to have much home advantage

obviously i don't watch you as closely as you lot but sort of got glossed over city aside you only won 1 of the 8 games against the rest of the top of the top 6. you can get away with it and keep plenty of clean sheets against the rest of the league when you have 70% of the ball but it tends to get exposed against sides who will attack you
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Jul 18 16:02
Whatever way we dress it up mafe, CL Final or not, you finished above us yet again last season. So its daft to say the sides aren't comparable imo.

Agree that you are very reliant on one or two players, just like us.

Its strange because we had a phenomenal record against the rest of the big six the season before last, easily the best in the league, and then a pretty average one last season. Just shows how fine the margins are in those big games imo. Depsite results not being great, we werent outplayed in any of them.
By:
mafeking
When: 18 Jul 18 16:11
we've finished above you 8 of the last 9 seasons although if you told to that most pundits or the less clued up amongst your fans i think they'd be unpleasantly surprised

when the pre seasons predictions are made i doubt even half the so called experts will put us the top 4 despite qualifying comfortably 3 years in a row and arsenal coming from miles behind and chelsea seemingly in disarray on and off the field and likely to lose by far their most important player
By:
REDUNDANT PUNTER
When: 18 Jul 18 16:26
I thought spurs would struggle last season mainly due to the wembley thing having no home ground is not easy imo but they did really well

I do think they have a very good team but need a stronger squad but did better than I anticipated if city do not get the perfect start similar to last season then it’s quite open I think
By:
Twoboyz
When: 18 Jul 18 17:04
The OX to miss all next season Sad
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 18 Jul 18 17:08
Bloody heck just heard the news about Ox Sad
By:
jedi sophie
When: 18 Jul 18 19:55
Bad news 're OX. Fit mentally strong young man he will be back.
Ecstatic with the Allison signing,ecstatic, many a fallout on the GK position with many a poster,that all stops now, this lad is class. Class. Huge lad,imposing,will dominate and give real confidence to others,excellent playing out too. Absolutely delighted.

Number 1 position on list of priorities we needed to strengthen. Job done.

Fee for those that like to nit pick,who cares...Coutinho for VVD,Allison and Shaquiri.Yes please.We all pay our money in to the club in varying degrees and amounts, the games gone mad,time we got involved and returned as big big players,that's where we are now and for the foreseeable future, spine of our team and all our top players all here for 4,5 years alongside manager. Fantastic times ahead..

Bring it on.ExcitedLaughGrin
By:
charwell.
When: 18 Jul 18 23:30
Gutted about Ox. I liked it when we signed him and he played superbly.

Unfortunately players never, ever recover to the same level from 12 month + injuries and that's the harsh reality Sad

Re Spurs, that team isn't far from breaking up. I think this is their last chance with those players to do something significant. I am surprised at that stat myself Maf. Although I think for various comps in last few seasons we have not made the PL our priority once CL qualification assured; whereas you have so slightly misleading. Unless you pull a few rabbits out the hat though the reality is you won't compete with City. We are trying to close that gap now.....
By:
anxious
When: 18 Jul 18 23:40
Looks like its nailed on for the mickeys , oh hang i think ive heard that before CrazyWink
By:
charwell.
When: 19 Jul 18 00:07
Name one poster on this thread who has said that before or now? Just mancs keep perpetuating this BS.

Talk about fear.........
By:
mafeking
When: 19 Jul 18 01:46
i keep hearing spurs have been a flash in the pan about to collapse back into obscurity for at least 5 years now. finished in the top 4 more often than not in the last 10 years and all done at a huge financial disadvantage to all our main rivals playing in a decrepit ground

sure city and united will still blow us and everyone us out of the water but it will a much more level playing field with yourselves, chelsea and arsenal. levy is as shrewd as they come. he hasn't invested best part of a billion quid in a magnificent new stadium to start finishing mid table
By:
degsy42
When: 19 Jul 18 05:08
yep anxious is on the ropes alright , his next line will be ‘ jurgen flopp ‘ or a subtle name change , he’s on the canvas and struggling
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 19 Jul 18 09:05
We seems to be winding up all the right people at the moment. Good.

Forget Klopp for a minute, this is FSG's statement of intent I reckon. Yes, we couldn't have done this without the sale of Coutinho but there is genuine investment now. They think they've got the right structure in place, they trust Klopp and Edwards to identify talent and are now backing them 100% in getting their first choice players in. They're not here just to make deals and earn money, they want to win.

The sense of unity right now is blinding. The days of squabbling over Balotelli, the days of making do with Kyrgiakos or Jovanovic seem in the distant past right now. I love a good whinge but I'm really struggling to find anything to moan about.  Maybe Markovic still being allowed to put on a red shirt. Just do on will ya.

We've still got a hell of a gap to bridge and need City to come backwards a bit but we're certainly giving ourselves the best chance we can.
By:
Latalomne
When: 19 Jul 18 09:34
Such was the gap to City last year, it's a brave time to invest heavily, too.  As you say, not the sort of thing you do lightly.
By:
Nilsson Schmilsson
When: 19 Jul 18 09:40
Has to be done to keep the top 4 place,  I suspect this money being spent on the keeper was earmarked for possibly another attacker in addition to the Fekir money.  but the change simply has to be made.

fingers crossed sturridge remembers how to run when he gets a game this season
By:
PorcupineorPineapple
When: 19 Jul 18 10:05
Will be a curious season. I think Chelsea have a real problem. In a bit of a mess and if Hazard doesn't leave, will he down tool again if they're not competing? Tottenham should be better having their own ground but you have to wonder about the strain on Alli, Eriksen and Kane. Arsenal need to make up a lot of ground but have a good manager, Torreira looks a good signing and if they plan to serve Aubemayang they could improve. Utd appear to have had the worst window so far, only buying yet another full back and one midfielder. However, Jose will surely keep them competitive and hard to beat.

We could soon be at a stage where you need 80 points for 4th.
By:
Ahoy 1982
When: 19 Jul 18 11:26
Ward to Leicester for 12 million, surely we'd get more for Mignolet if he goes?? That would be half the Alisson fee back, looks a great bit of business.
By:
mafeking
When: 19 Jul 18 11:40
despite the woeful ineptitude of the rest of league at the moment and arsenal not sure we're at a stage where you'll more than low 70s for a top 4 place. every season at least 1 or 2 of the top 6 are below par and surely the likes of everton, west ham and southampton can't continue to be as awful as they have been the last couple of seasons indefinitely
By:
jedi sophie
When: 19 Jul 18 11:41
10 million,what a bit of business,again...
Page 3 of 271  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 271 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com