Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Hamsterdam
02 May 18 17:42
| Topic/replies: 12,946 | Blogger: Hamsterdam's blog
...no not heard of them either.

Sad times, especially for gamblers, 300 games down the shiiter Angry
Pause Switch to Standard View Sky Lose La Liga Rights To Eleven Sports
Show More
Report tobermory May 2, 2018 5:45 PM BST
wtf are they
Report tobermory May 2, 2018 5:46 PM BST
Live football matches could be shown exclusively over the internet in the UK for the first time after Sky lost the rights to broadcast Spain’s La Liga.

Eleven Sports, founded by the Leeds United owner, Andrea Radrizzani, has acquired exclusive rights to the Spanish top flight for three years, starting from 2018-19.

It brings an end to an association with Sky Sports that has lasted for more than two decades, although the broadcaster may yet be able to show games through a secondary agreement with the new rights holders.

“We are proud to build on our existing relationship with La Liga, this time in the UK, one of the most passionate football countries in the world,” said Eleven Sports’ chief executive, Marc Watson, in a statement. “We will announce soon how we will introduce innovative ways for dedicated fans to watch and engage in the live action. The way people, especially young people, watch live sport is changing and we always try to reflect that in the ways we make our product available.”

Eleven Sports would not say how much it is paying for La Liga coverage, but the arrangement comes in a declining market for sports rights. Earlier this year, Sky achieved a 14% discount in securing the rights to Premier League matches and it is understood that the broadcaster was unwilling to continue paying the £18m per season agreed under its current deal with La Liga.

That has left an opening for a new entrant in the market. Operating in seven countries across Europe, Asia and North America, Eleven Sports claims to have 17 million paying customers and describes itself as a “platform agnostic” broadcaster. In Poland and Belgium, for example, Eleven Sports has both its own TV channel, and an “over the top” online streaming service – industry shorthand for the delivery of film and TV content via the internet, without requiring users to subscribe to a traditional cable or satellite pay-TV service. In the US, meanwhile, Eleven Sports leases content through broadcasters and telecoms companies. The company has not revealed which approach it will adopt in the UK.
Report anxious May 2, 2018 6:01 PM BST
Leeds Owner ffsCry
Report wisewords May 2, 2018 6:13 PM BST
i'm outraged. what the hell are Sky doing?
Report ian merseyside May 2, 2018 6:24 PM BST
Similar to when they lost the rights to show Champions League football and The Ashes in Australia. I suspect that they will again fail to reduce subs for the Sports channels.
Report DirkDiggler May 2, 2018 6:32 PM BST
I suspect many will fail to renew their subs for the Sports channels.
Report n88uk May 2, 2018 6:34 PM BST
They surely have to do the latter mentioned in that article, ie. lease the content rather than have it behind online subscription service, it's hardly going to be a big seller is it on its own on a subscription channel.
Report n88uk May 2, 2018 6:36 PM BST

May 2, 2018 -- 6:24PM, ian merseyside wrote:

Similar to when they lost the rights to show Champions League football and The Ashes in Australia. I suspect that they will again fail to reduce subs for the Sports channels.

They're losing ATP tennis at end of the year too. Shows you how all in they are on Premier League football that they don't renew these deals for the equivalent of 1-2 Premier League games. At some point it seems unsustainable you'd think. Sky originally built themselves on their portfolio of sport, this porfolio is getting weaker all the time, and they show no sign of stopping the tide against their rights being chipped away at, eventually there must be a tipping point though, you can't just offer Premier League football and nothing else, at that point you might as well just be doing Premier League pass like they would in the USA.

Report n88uk May 2, 2018 6:38 PM BST
This deal hardly seems good for the consumer anyway, and in turn unlikely to be great from La Liga's point of view. Surprised BT didn't pick up the rights for relative peanuts, they were interested last time, and you'd think they'd want La Liga to go with pretty much all the other top European leagues they have given it's the most in demand. The more fragmented the market comes, just means more cost for the consumer, and at some point you just aren't going to pay the extra subscription cost.
Report wisewords May 2, 2018 7:13 PM BST
Sky doing a good job at making me consider cancelling that's for sure.
Report DirkDiggler May 2, 2018 7:39 PM BST
BT doesn't have enough channels as it is to cover La Liga properly,especially as they insist on wasting air-time on ****.
Report n88uk May 2, 2018 9:43 PM BST
They can get another channel. The opposite is Sky have a lot of channels showing f all most of the time.
Report FredRescue May 2, 2018 9:47 PM BST
Don't worry lads, more women's football to come on Sky Sports next season (NAP)
Report DIE LINKE May 2, 2018 10:05 PM BST
Viewing figures are so low for the majority of these La Lurgy matches it would be more cost effective for Sky to charter a plane and send them over to watch the game!
Report scandanavian_haven May 2, 2018 10:10 PM BST
What are the actual viewing figures for La Liga matches?

Sky have lost Champions League football to BT, shares PL football with BT, losing Spanish football, lost US Open tennis and losing ATP to Amazon, only a matter of time before they lose Golf and F1 for what it's worth. All they'll be left with is WWE and PL, if they lose the latter they really would be finished.

What amazes me though, is that Sky prices went up after some of them losses, it went up after losing CL football. How does that work, they also tried to re-brand their channels and package them in a way that seemed cheaper but it was a con.
Report Dav_vin03 May 2, 2018 10:12 PM BST
Sky are interested in the Bundersliga rights
Report DirkDiggler May 2, 2018 10:16 PM BST
SKY's time is coming to an end, it isn't moving fast enough, their delivery model is outdated.
Report Hamsterdam May 2, 2018 10:32 PM BST
Sad as it is we are a nation of Brexit voters and would have watch Championship football than La Liga. However the bad publicity can't be great for Sky coupled with them losing the CL...people are going to think they are being mugged off.

Tbf they did show every La Liga (apart from Saturday 3pm's)match even ones pretty much nobody would be watching.

These 11 sports could resell some matches to a FTA channel such as ITV4 or Eurosport and show the rest on their website. This is the best result.

Worst would be all matches behind a big sub/paywall on their website....but 0 chance of making profit from £18m if they do that.
Report Hamsterdam May 2, 2018 10:33 PM BST
*rather watch
Report Dav_vin03 May 2, 2018 10:34 PM BST

May 2, 2018 -- 10:16PM, DirkDiggler wrote:

SKY's time is coming to an end, it isn't moving fast enough, their delivery model is outdated.

Now tv suggests they are on the ball

Report n88uk May 3, 2018 12:20 AM BST

May 2, 2018 -- 10:10PM, scandanavian_haven wrote:

What are the actual viewing figures for La Liga matches?Sky have lost Champions League football to BT, shares PL football with BT, losing Spanish football, lost US Open tennis and losing ATP to Amazon, only a matter of time before they lose Golf and F1 for what it's worth. All they'll be left with is WWE and PL, if they lose the latter they really would be finished.What amazes me though, is that Sky prices went up after some of them losses, it went up after losing CL football. How does that work, they also tried to re-brand their channels and package them in a way that seemed cheaper but it was a con.

Varies massively apparently (though you'd expect this). Clasico like 700-800k. Real Madrid/Barcelona matches like 125k, the rest like 25k.

Sky will just view it as something that doesn't drive subscriptions so not worth anything, which is true to an extent, but at some point when you start losing many things in that category as a whole it will start to add up.

It will start hurting Sky if English teams start making runs in CL consistently, they dropped it on basis viewing figures were dropping they said, but that was clearly linked to the decline in English club performance rather than the competition dropping in popularity, this Liverpool run would have been big ratings, on top of that it's something they can't ignore on their channels (SSN, Liverpool games etc.), and it's not great publicity to constantly have to talk about the competition on your rivals channel.

Report n88uk May 3, 2018 12:26 AM BST
Something like tennis will be different again, the viewing figures will be poor on paper, however tennis fills a lot of hours of schedule throughout the year and week so you constantly have live sport on your channels, something Sky are already noticeably lacking often, and they haven't even lost the tennis yet.

It's just weird they drop all these things for tens of millions when that's what they are paying per game for Premier League football. All the time they have to keep sticking subscriptions up as I assume they are losing subscribers all the time and have to cover up the loss. They've certainly gone away from how they were 15-20 years ago when they were about their sports portfolio, these days it feels like they are trying to bluff people they have more than they actually have with all the different channels, but it's not hard to see through once you dig a little deeper and realise most the channels are showing nothing of note.
Report geordie1956 May 3, 2018 9:04 AM BST
When I first paid for Sky sports I would watch an awful lot of premiership football but as time went by I would only watch the meaningful games or if my team (the Toon) were involved. I stopped subscribing last season & if Newcastle are on I go to the pub to watch..the price keeps increasing for obtaining what I consider an ever reducing value taking into consideration losing other sports.

Sky have made the mistake of putting all their eggs into the one basket..The Premiership... and yet I think it has virtually saturated the market where the customer base will or can only decline which will hurt them. There are so many competing broadcasters & information technology outlets now that suggest the Sky model is outdated.

Surely there is a limit to what they can mug their subscribers for before turnover (and profit) reduces
Report sparrow May 3, 2018 9:31 AM BST
If we could watch our own team every week then I would happily subscribe.
After all they do cover every premiership match and could show them live except for that daft 3pm rule on Saturday's.
Report Johnny_Mustang May 3, 2018 9:34 AM BST
Just called Sky to downgrade. I was paying £84.50 and was immediately offered same package for £54.90.
Report Panther65 May 3, 2018 4:45 PM BST
@ sparrow...

ive always thought the same as that with their coverage of league cup ties...they have the red button option for international qualifiers, so why not the league cup...

and do you think that maybe they are gonna try to show all prem games live, along with BT...starting with 1 game on a fri nite, 3 on a sat, say at 12, 5 and 7, 4 or 5 on a sunday at 11, 1, 3, 5, 7 and either 1 or 2 on a monday, say 6 & 8...

which would more than likely kill off the lower leagues, who wouldnt get a look in on tv unless there were always a live game on a tue, wed & thurs...and whose current share of the current tv money is a joke i would imagine...
Report ian merseyside May 6, 2018 5:24 PM BST
Looks like Sky are backing away from La Liga early.  Last night they didn't start showing Villarreal v Valencia until 15 minutes in.  For some reason they had Rochdale v Charlton on 2 different sports channels and didn't start the La Liga match until 20 minutes after the Rochdale match had finished.
Report johnnythebull May 6, 2018 5:45 PM BST
me gusta la liga..really got into it this year along with Serie A..some of the Bundesliga games are good as well..only watch ligue ! occassionally

totally p1ssed off with the overhyping of the PL and its mainly mundane fare..hardly interests me that much these days
Report sparrow May 6, 2018 5:45 PM BST
Panther65    03 May 18 16:45 
@ sparrow...

ive always thought the same as that with their coverage of league cup ties...they have the red button option for international qualifiers, so why not the league cup...

and do you think that maybe they are gonna try to show all prem games live, along with BT...starting with 1 game on a fri nite, 3 on a sat, say at 12, 5 and 7, 4 or 5 on a sunday at 11, 1, 3, 5, 7 and either 1 or 2 on a monday, say 6 & 8...

which would more than likely kill off the lower leagues, who wouldnt get a look in on tv unless there were always a live game on a tue, wed & thurs...and whose current share of the current tv money is a joke i would imagine...

Of course they couldn't broadcast all those games on TV,  but why not show the other games online?
Report blank May 6, 2018 5:56 PM BST
The next prem contract has saturday night games at 7:45 so that would have clashed with one of the main la liga time slots. All sky need is to cover the Sunday night slot, Bundesliga no good, MLS maybe or serie a or ligue 1 if they're coming up for bidding.
Report themightymac May 6, 2018 11:14 PM BST
Brilliant news. I get 11 sports the Polish channel Wink
Report wolf3011 May 7, 2018 10:06 AM BST
Losing the champions league was the death knell for me, now you have to call an indian call centre with someone who can barely speak a word of English saying u can have " sky football" for ££ but it doesn't show certain football and you need more channels. In order to watch all leagues you need BT , all sky sports channels , this 11 sports and prob more very soon .. too much hassle and easier to watch it for nothing online for many.
Report themightymac May 7, 2018 6:03 PM BST
Sky and BT were working in unison and conspired together to get more cash from us all.
Report themightymac May 7, 2018 6:06 PM BST
I don`t mind paying Sky subscription but now half the Premier games are on BT, as well as European matches, and now it costs a fortune to have both. Plus another £20 a month for RUK. They are driving their customers away with ever increasing prices.
Report salmon spray May 7, 2018 6:12 PM BST
You're all mugs imo.
Report themightymac May 7, 2018 6:40 PM BST
.... can`t disagree with that!
Report clacherholiday2 May 7, 2018 7:05 PM BST

May 6, 2018 -- 5:56PM, blank wrote:

The next prem contract has saturday night games at 7:45 so that would have clashed with one of the main la liga time slots. All sky need is to cover the Sunday night slot, Bundesliga no good, MLS maybe or serie a or ligue 1 if they're coming up for bidding.

premier league football 3 nights in a row sounds rancid.

Report clacherholiday2 May 7, 2018 7:08 PM BST
thats not quite happening now ive read that again but friday, saturday and monday prem football is overkill.

theres usually 1 decent game on every week, often 2 but virtually never THREE, plus all their lunchtime matches and BT showing the early evening saturday game, looks way over the top for such a bang average product.
Report skygreenzone May 7, 2018 8:45 PM BST
Sat night 7.45 is a massive mistake if sky start this then it will be the beginning of the end sundays i get sat teatime okay but sat night is family night for most familes.Getting greedy.
Report everyone's a winner May 7, 2018 9:12 PM BST
that is happening, a 7.45 pm ko on Saturday but it's the season after next, unless i'm mistaken.
Report Dav_vin03 May 8, 2018 11:44 PM BST
sky 'working on replacement live football coverage' is the officail line
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com