Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Solano1
10 Aug 15 18:43
| Topic/replies: 43,542 | Blogger: Solano1's blog
Seems to be plenty of chat, not least from Jose, about the amount of money being spent / quality of players being signed by mid table sides:

Payet to West Ham
Ayew to Swansea
Wijnaldum to Newcastle
Shaqiri to Stoke
Firminio to Liverpool

Etc, etc.

Will this make the league more competitive, as Jose suggests?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 59
By:
grayhawk
When: 10 Aug 15 19:13
How many are you expecting Solano?
By:
donny osmond
When: 10 Aug 15 19:17
a ferry load
By:
Hamsterdam
When: 10 Aug 15 21:07
Some of the lesser teams are buying players that could play for top 4 sides. All due to the new money I suppose. The French League in particular has been raided of almost all it's talent. Add Jordan Amavi Villa left back to that list btw.
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 07:14
I think you've misread the 'mid table' criteria, Hamster.  If I extended it to the bottom clubs, I'd also have to give a notable mention to Lens at Sunderland. 

Tbf, I did miss Cabaye at Palace in respect of your point on the French League.
By:
rothko
When: 11 Aug 15 11:58
newcastle are not a mid table side - they were bottom 6 last year
By:
DIE LINKE
When: 11 Aug 15 12:05
don't think any of the smaller clubs have signed anyone the Top 4 would be remotely interested in and they are certainly paying over the odds.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 11 Aug 15 12:18
Not sure I agree with that Die Linke. There are a few players that the bigger sides might like. Think Wijnaldum, Payet and Andre Ayew will all be big hits this season.
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 18:28
Rothko,

Out of a pool of 20 you have a top 5, a bottom 5 and a middle 10.

Whether a team finishes 6th or 15th they are, by definition, mid table also rans.
By:
DIE LINKE
When: 11 Aug 15 18:44
CCM, they may well be. Firmino will certainly do well for Liverpool. But the fact he is the most expensive signing in Bundesliga history shows how mental things are in the EPL these days. Bayern got Douglas Costa for half that and he's a better player.

All the extra money in the EPL just means clubs spend more on players (at inflated prices) and more on daft wages.
By:
jed.davison
When: 11 Aug 15 19:06
The point about people like the ones ccm mentioned is that they don't have to be capable of starting for top four sides to look outstanding in bad sides like Newcastle for instance, no offence solano.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 11 Aug 15 19:26
if a team finished 15th but were only safe on last day of season would they not be construed as relegation material ?
By:
jed.davison
When: 11 Aug 15 19:29
On the subject of Lens morpteh, how did he look Saturday?
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 19:34
None taken, jed.

I have seen from elsewhere that you are a genuine poster - unlike some on here who question the definition of mid table to suit their own petty, tribal agenda.

Do you agree with Die Linke then, in that the big four would not be interested in any of the players signed by the mid table sides?
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 11 Aug 15 19:36
starved of ball tbh jed hopefully a lot more to come.

lol sol, so i take it newcastle are classed as midtable side ?
By:
jed.davison
When: 11 Aug 15 19:52
It's a bit nebulous for me - do the Chelsea's and man city's even fish in those waters? Why do all the due diligence required when you have a small budget ad need to make your one or two signings count, when you can spend £50m and not really care too much if it goes wrong?

Take Di Maria - united have suffered a £25m haircut on him, but what does that really mean to them? Or Schweinsteiger, if Guardiola is right and he's not the player he was, so what really?

FWIW, and again no offence, if Wijnaldum was out of the very top drawer, would you have got him for the money paid and would he have gone to SJP?  He's been around long enough for the top clubs to have had a good  look at him.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 11 Aug 15 19:55
I take it this is a fred without EFC...
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 21:55
It's a good question, jed, and time will tell I guess.  Putting aside petty differences (unlike Morpteh Mackem's attitude) if he turns out to be as good as Cabaye was I'll be pleased to watch him for a few years, and then we make a big return to allow us the opportunity to sign a couple to replace him.  Only chance those with less revenue than the big four have for me, albeit it remains extremely difficult, if not impossible.  Look at yourselves (Bale) and Liverpool (Suarez) as examples of how cash can be spunked.

Aside from Wijnaldum though, whom I am yet to make judgement on, I am quite liking the quality of signings the mid table sides are making.  Chelsea and Arsenal dropping points at the weekend (both at home) is hopefully a sign that the league could become more competitive.

G2D - not at all - why would it?  Everton (imo) have players who would get into certain top four sides.  Coleman, Stones,
Baines, McCarthy could / have the potential to be Champions League players for me.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 11 Aug 15 22:12
I was talking about that damn word - Spending, Sol...
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 22:14
Ah, yes.  Hence the reason you were excluded, I think.

Is there cash there?  I had it down as Lukaku being too expensive last year and therefore you need to sell before buying?
By:
guinness2dear
When: 11 Aug 15 22:21
I'd need to go back to Uni and do a degree on Shell corporations to work out EFC's finances, Sol...

Safe to say we're skint (AGAIN)
By:
jed.davison
When: 11 Aug 15 22:24
I hope he comes good for you mate. I think the League is better for having a decent Newcastle team in it - for he same reason I'd like to see Leeds come back up and get stronger.

This Mitrovic, he's gonna entertain us isn't he? I love the Serbs, such great people. Had a fantastic night with a few of them during the Olympics, was on my way home from work, ended up getting caned all night in a boozer n hackney, had to take the next two days off lol
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 22:35
It's a shame mate.

Serious investors put off by the ground, I reckon.  Cost to improve  / rebuild to improve revenue, etc.
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 22:40
Me too, jed, obviously.

Not about Newcastle though.  Was v. impressed. By Swansea the the wknd (fancy them to batter us on Saturday) and see Stoke, Palace, Liverpool, West Ham etc all being better than last season.  Southampton too, but they have that awful Europa to contend with.

Seen Mitro twice now and looked better against the Germans.  Just looked lie a complete fkn psycho on Sunday, which has its merits.  Whether he makes it or not, time will tell, but I severely doubt he'll be bullied like some 'goalscorers' from the continent.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 11 Aug 15 22:43
Indded it is.

We've had chances to do something about it, but general balls ups by them upstairs and the lack of investment has killed us. Just robbing Peter to pay Paul at the mo..
By:
Solano1
When: 11 Aug 15 22:46
At least it's second nature for you lads. Grin
By:
guinness2dear
When: 11 Aug 15 22:51
Lethargy is a horrible word, but it sums us up aptly..

Good luck to your lot anyway, Sol..
By:
Solano1
When: 12 Aug 15 18:34
There you gan, G2D.

Mason Holgate due at FF for medical.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 12 Aug 15 23:05
We've got to fight off Bournemouth first..

I'm so underwhelmed, and since out chat last night Sol, 'cash flow' issues have raised their ugly head..
By:
Solano1
When: 12 Aug 15 23:19
What's that due to?

Paying on the never never for players in previous seasons?
By:
guinness2dear
When: 12 Aug 15 23:31
As i said yesterday, unfathomable.

We seem to take out 'loans' every season even though the Sky money has never been greater. I've given up trying to work out the finances even though i've seen previous years 'available' ins and outs..
By:
Solano1
When: 12 Aug 15 23:41
Just had a gander.

£18m on BS at 31/05/14.
£29m committed to transfer fees post BS.
£77m of creditors due within a year from 31/05/14.
£31m of debtors due within a year from 31/05/14.

£57m debit assuming not refinanced, pre OP +/- Player Trading in Accounts to 31/05/15.

Doesn't look pretty.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 12 Aug 15 23:45
Aye, they don't help themselves by being very silent on financial issues even though they promised more openness in that regard..
By:
Solano1
When: 12 Aug 15 23:51
Looks as though you have securitised the TV money and/or Season Ticket cash too.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 12 Aug 15 23:57
No flies on the board, that's a given. And now with Bobbyboy being footballs equivalent of Alastair Campbell, they've got all ends stitched up..
By:
Solano1
When: 13 Aug 15 00:00
Should have built and moved into a joint stadium with that lot across the park years ago.

Would have both been better for it now.
By:
guinness2dear
When: 13 Aug 15 00:06
God forbid.

Should have sorted out Kings Dock 12 years ago..
By:
rothko
When: 13 Aug 15 00:07
they missed their chance when they were offered kings dock -
A joint stadium hsd never been on the cards
By:
Solano1
When: 23 Aug 15 09:43
A little update:

Arsenal beaten by West Ham.
Spurs held by Stoke and Leicester.
Man U held by Newcastle.
Chelsea held by Swansea.

Four home games there.
By:
DIE LINKE
When: 23 Aug 15 11:25
Jose is certainly trying to make the league more competitive! Has the makings of a fascinating season for the mid-table sides, culminating in a nail-biting fight to avoid Europa League qualification.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com