Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheBetterBettor
20 Jun 14 19:11
| Topic/replies: 11,008 | Blogger: TheBetterBettor's blog
Give it up, they probably field the kids and still lose
Pause Switch to Standard View England are odds on to beat costa rica
Show More
Report themightymac June 20, 2014 7:15 PM BST
Costa Rica will rest their stars now they have qualified and playing the weakest team in the group.
Report Busvaldo June 20, 2014 7:17 PM BST
The Celtic boys are in glee!

How very quaint!Cool
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:20 PM BST
There's a big difference between Costa Rica's first two games and their third. The first two were in the most hot and humid venues, the third is in a nice cool City.

England should win comfortably. The bet is Italy to finish bottom.
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 7:22 PM BST
Costa Rica have a chance to beat the mighty England.  They will relish it.
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 7:23 PM BST
And these players are in the shop window.  Big contracts await.  Why would they not want to humiliate the "stars".
Report johnni June 20, 2014 7:24 PM BST
marychain1:

Oh yes. The Brits should win with a hansom +2 goals at least. Oh yea, jolly me. They are only up against an unknown enemy who took down Italy and Uruguay, both Confederations cup pro teams of 2013, where England did not even qualify. Oh yea. And the referees seem to be on the side of South-Americans so ofcourse the old imperialist power will be treated better...much better.....excellente better....

or then not: keep engines running.jpg
Report Busvaldo June 20, 2014 7:26 PM BST
If you put another chip on your shoulder it may balance you up!

We always knew we were garbage but you have to be there,i suppose!Cool
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:29 PM BST
the conditions were cool last night

england were abysmal, slow and totally un coordinated

odds on in any game at this WC is bonkers
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:31 PM BST
I'll be backing England for the first time this tournament. I laid Italy today, and then backed Costa Rica at 13/10 at 1-0, but Costa Rica were certainly given a big advantage from the hot and humid conditions in the first and second games. Don't get me wrong, they made full use of that advantage so well done to them.

But they won't have that advantage on Tuesday.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:32 PM BST
The cool conditions obviously suited Uruguay last night as well as they suited England.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:32 PM BST
really think you are totally over cooking that angle marychain

a bigger hope is that they have already qualified and may take it a bit easier

gl
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:32 PM BST
Actually, I've just seen the price...I won't be backing England.
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 7:33 PM BST
When making your bets don't forget: England are bad at football.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:33 PM BST
why would cool condiitons suit uruguay as much as england ?

surelt they would have had a bigger advantage if it were hotter
Report Busvaldo June 20, 2014 7:34 PM BST
Obviously!Devil
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:34 PM BST
Are you joking stridingedge?

Uruguay 1-0 up at half time, totally lost their legs in second half v Costa Rica. Lost 3-1. Uruguay used to cold conditions. Costa Rica used to hot conditions.
Italy couldn't get above walking pace today in their second game in the hot and humid conditions. Costa Rica had far more energy and were fine.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:36 PM BST
It's winter in Uruguay. It's freezing and rainy. 15 degrees C.

They have done all their prep at home in the cold. Totally got found out in the heat of Fortaleza then much better in the colder conditions of Sao Paolo.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:37 PM BST
what is the temp in their summer ?
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:38 PM BST
The only team used to and acclimatised to the condit

D    Uruguay    Sete Lagoas    Fortaleza    1426    Sao Paolo    400    Natal    1430
    Costa Rica    Santos    Fortaleza    1846    Recife    1677    Belo Horizonte    404
    Italy    Mangaratiba    Manaus    2597    Recife    1477    Natal    1650
    England    Rio de Janeiro    Manaus    2630    Sao Paolo    267    Belo Horizonte    270
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:38 PM BST
and in cool conditions england still look like snails

they just cannot press or pass the ball at a decent tempo for the national side
Report Busvaldo June 20, 2014 7:39 PM BST
Don't fall on Marychains knife Striding,he is on the wind up!Grin
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:39 PM BST
i wish it were the climate

it blatantly isn't
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:40 PM BST
Temperate, can get hot but nothig like Fortaleza or Natal. Uruguay will cope better than Italy in Natal though imo, Italy third game in the conditions will be too much.

For same reason I'm laying Germany for their 2nd and 3rd games and to win the group.
Report johnni June 20, 2014 7:40 PM BST
Short analysis of Costa Ricas play. It was similar to Chiles. Meaning: the teams seem to play like they were controlled by an overmind. Very fast passing, like one mind. Also alot of tackles were done just outside of their penalty area, to avoid a possible penalty shootout for the opposing team. They also were much faster physically, used a lot of force and had no remorse in pushing enemies down.

Also, hard to say that referees were on Costa-Ricas side because the referee didnt give them a penalty shootout against Italy when Italy pushed one of them down. On the other half, italians were falling like macaronis from a broken case by the Costa-Ricans.

It seems that South-American teams have secretly trained like crazy, just for this 2014 world cup. Its their time to shine.

England going down.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:41 PM BST
I'm not bigging England up. But if you think Costa Rica would beat Uruguay or Italy in normal conditions you are mistaken.
Report Outpost June 20, 2014 7:43 PM BST
"The bet is Italy to finish bottom.

not sure if this is a joke or not but italy already guaranteed to finish 2nd or 3rd depending on their result against uruguay while england are already guaranteed to finish bottom of the group no matter the result against costa rica.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:43 PM BST
italy look as bad as england

the only difference being we dropped off them as though they were fantastic and costa rica got right in their faces without the ball and passed it quickly with the ball.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:45 PM BST
its not rocket science

the teams that are moving the ball quickly and closing the best look much betetr than the strollers

and thats brazil and argentina included
Report dom888 June 20, 2014 7:46 PM BST
if it is guaranteed england finish rock bottom. Why can you back england @ 1.4.
Report erse2 June 20, 2014 7:46 PM BST
>normal conditions

Italy isn't exactly the Arctic Circle. Also, half of Costa Rica's squad plays in Europe, as does Uruguay's.

I'm not sure what the argument is, whether it's acclimatising or genetic. In the case of the latter, they're European by blood.

So... not sure what your point is.
Report johnni June 20, 2014 7:51 PM BST
Currently 128,000e matched on Costa-Rica vs England.

Odds are still:

Costa-Rica 4.5
England:   1.91
The Deaw:  3.75

After Costa-Ricas 1-0 goal, there was exactly 50,000 matched. Prices were:

Costa-Rica 4.9
England 1.86
The Draw: i cant remember

i think those odds are ludicrous. This tournament has had a lot of funny odds. like spain 1.8 something vs Chile 5 and Spain vs Netherland 5. something.

For a third time in a row, Englands opponents odds are over 4.

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

whos running these odds, well its fine for me...
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 7:53 PM BST
I only got 5.6.  Disappointed. Cool
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:55 PM BST
If England win and Italy lose Italy are bottom.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 7:57 PM BST
Outpost 20 Jun 14 19:43
"The bet is Italy to finish bottom." 

not sure if this is a joke or not but italy already guaranteed to finish 2nd or 3rd depending on their result against uruguay while england are already guaranteed to finish bottom of the group no matter the result against costa rica.

LaughLaughLaugh

^^^it is people like this that mean you can't fail to make money on here. Some of these people shouldn't be allowed access to their own bank accounts.
Report high_lander June 20, 2014 7:58 PM BST
It's a pointless game for England, they'll probably field all the players who haven't had a game yet. No reason not to.

And I agree, odds on is ridiculous. What's that about? It's crazy!
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 7:59 PM BST
marychaion

i would suggest backing odds on in a dead rubber game is as foolish as you can get mate
Report Clarky9 June 20, 2014 8:02 PM BST
I'm on Costa Rica at 50/1 to beat England...

Don't think you'll find a better price than that.
Report high_lander June 20, 2014 8:02 PM BST
Costa Rica have proved they are the best team in the group, they should be odds on.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:03 PM BST
marychain1 20 Jun 14 19:32
Actually, I've just seen the price...I won't be backing England.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:04 PM BST
the thread title said odds on
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:05 PM BST
you on anything in the swiss france game ?
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:06 PM BST
Good point. Think I saw it and read favourites. When I actually looked at the market I was horrified. I do think England should be favourites, something under 2/1 but odds on is horrendous.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:07 PM BST
fair play
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:08 PM BST
I backed 0-0 and under 2.5 at 11 and 1.85 just as the Costa Rica game because it's in Salvador which is another of the very hot and humid places.

Then I looked at the previous two games there, and saw Spain 1 Holland 5 and Germany 4 Portugal 0 and got cold feet. I greened up and pleasingly the market had gone my way to 9.6 and 1.75.

Only actual bet I've had is Valbuena anytime @ 7.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:10 PM BST
ok good luck with the anytime bet
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:11 PM BST
Cheers, what are you on?
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:13 PM BST
nothing

hartnell at ascot was my main bet today, had a heart attack in the stewards for a while but it kept it.
Report Clarky9 June 20, 2014 8:16 PM BST
Some top aftertiming on this thread imo
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:16 PM BST
nice one, never saw anything at ascot today. Never even seen the results. Will have a look now.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:18 PM BST
clarky i posted on the horse racing forum pal
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:21 PM BST
arychain1 20 Jun 14 19:49
Difficult one this...

I backed Unders @ 2.5 and 0-0 @ 11

Have greened up now and will have a look in play.

It's one of the hottest, most humid venues, but the first two games in Salvador have been Spain 1 Holland 5 & Germany 4 Portugal 0.
Report stridingedge June 20, 2014 8:22 PM BST
i suppose people that are familiar with you know that you don't after time and a lot of others are cynical with all the BS posted on this asylum.
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:22 PM BST
Said I was laying Italy before the game as well
Report marychain1 June 20, 2014 8:26 PM BST
Posted this a month ago

marychain1 15 May 14 17:21

Costa Rica probably can't beat Uruguay in typical South American conditions, or England in cooler conditions, but they may have an advantage against Italy in their second game, to be played in Recife.
Report Hamsterdam June 20, 2014 8:55 PM BST
CR don't need to win though do they, they may rest some of their big guns (Laugh) England will have the more desire to win for pride, to avoid wooden spoon etc.

Not sure why everyone disregarded Costa Rica at the start of the tournament...28th in the world ranking isn't that low is it? Although half their team play in their own domestic league which contains teams I never even seen mentioned on here, let alone heard of in the public domain.

Shows how arrogant we are in Europe towards South American football.
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 8:58 PM BST
England don't need to win though, do they?
Report Hamsterdam June 20, 2014 9:01 PM BST
Nope but as explained they'll have the most desire too. The time to invest in the bank of Costa Rica was at 5pm today, horse has bolted now.
Report treble June 20, 2014 10:58 PM BST
Campbell may feel like he's playing for a major role at Arsenal.
Report kincsem June 20, 2014 11:08 PM BST
Hamsterdam
The time to invest in the bank of Costa Rica was at 5pm today, horse has bolted now.

Done:  Ref: 48778310403 Matched: 17:08 20-Jun-14

Why are England more up for this match?
Costa Rica beat Uruguay, and beat Italy.
England lost to Italy, and lost to Uruguay.

This idea that England are battlers is daft.  Bottlers would be a better description.
Perhaps England will win, or draw.  Unlikely events do happen.
Report whatsthewordjohannesburg June 20, 2014 11:10 PM BST
Insane price on England.

Italy were 1.8 and drifting after just a few minutes of the game today. England are 1.88 now after two dire performances? Being knocked out is such a killer of atmosphere in the squad, by the same token whoever starts for Costa Rica, even if they rest a couple of players will be absolutely buzzing, dying to make an an impression. You'll get the same performance from Costa Rica again.

There is a massive prize for winning the group, it's a very winnable knock out game. Might be more value in the draw than the Costa Rica win but England should be about 2.6 for this one but patriotic money never learns its' lesson.

England will be resting players too and I wouldn't be basing a 1.88 shot on Jones' and Smalling's ability to keep a clean sheet.
Report Hamsterdam June 20, 2014 11:29 PM BST
No ones saying back England, but I won't be backing Costa Rica either in a game they don't have to win - no chance.

And I trust marychain on his climate theory, the guy is meticulous in his detail and one of the few shrewd people on here.
Report nc June 20, 2014 11:38 PM BST
Eng will prob win well now its a dead rubber..no pressure
win when its all too late..so dam typical
Report Emden June 20, 2014 11:45 PM BST
England fans will always pile in and shorten the odds.

England might grind out a boring draw with some hoofball
Report marychain1 June 21, 2014 12:10 AM BST
I've said it a few times but not completely, so here goes.

The games that were played in extremely hot and humid conditions in this group are (were)

England v Italy
Uruguay v Costa Rica
Italy v Costa Rica
Uruguay v Italy

The others are (were) played in cooler areas.

I assumed when I wrote up my preview back in mid-May that Uruguay and Costa Rica would be similarly suited by hot conditions and that neither side would have the advantage. That was clearly wrong. You could see by the way Uruguay ground to a halt after being 1-0 up at half-time that they really struggled with the heat and humidity. Costa Rica are the one team (probably in the tournament) who have a similar climate. They had far more energy than Uruguay. This surprised me, but then I heard Tim Vickery say that Uruguay have done all the preparation at home in cold conditions. I do not know why they did this, and find it surprising, but anyone that watched both games could see that Uruguay looked a different team v England.

Italy have had the worst of the draw. They strugled in the confed cup v Japan last summer and they have struggled in both games v England and especially Costa Rica. The Italians looked out on their feet to me. They could hardly get themselves above a trot.

The interesting thing will be the Italy v Uruguay game. Will Italy now be acclimatised after three games in hot places or will they be super-tired? I think the latter, and although the hot conditions will not suit Uruguay either, I think the momentum can carry them to a win.

Costa Rica v England is interesting because for the first time Costa Rica play in a place that does not give them an advantage over the opposition. I make England (slight) favourites for the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bigging up England, but Costa Rica should not be as superior to Uruguay and Italy as we saw without the advantage of the heat and humidity, and that is now not there.

My bets for this group was Uruguay to win at 2/1 and Italy to finish bottom at 16/1. I did not expect Costa Rica and Italy to win their first two games, I expected two draws, but the rest of the games have worked out roughly as I thought and I have not written my bets off yet. England and Uruguay both winning is possible.
Report Emden June 21, 2014 12:34 AM BST
My bets for this group was Uruguay to win at 2/1 and Italy to finish bottom at 16/1. I did not expect Costa Rica and Italy to win their first two games, I expected two draws,

At least you admit your tips are sh1te and not worth listening too.
Report marychain1 June 21, 2014 12:53 AM BST
Ah feck it, there's no point bothering to try and have a discussion on this forum.
Report whatsthewordjohannesburg June 21, 2014 1:08 AM BST
The point is simply should England be odds on, the answer is not remotely. Changes or no changes it shouldn't leave England odds on.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com