Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
25 Jan 14 20:54
| Topic/replies: 29,813 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
The big clubs just don't care that much, I didn't even know Arsenal were playing last night until a couple of hours before, won't be bothering to watch the live draw tomorrow either whereas growing up would never miss it, used have it's own day but now even the FA think so little of it they sandwich it in between Prem matches.

Works for the smaller clubs hoping for the big draw but fans, players and clubs in the Premier League can be doing without it, it just gets in the way of the league and like most just want it over and done with quickly so we can get back to proper football that means something.

Time to scrap the FA Cup and league cup for the big boys, it's past it's sell by date and no longer has an appeal. Pointless giving it a Champions League spot, we could have the likes of Wigan lowering our co-efficiency eventually having the 4th spot taken away.

It's finished.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 102
By:
elisjohn
When: 25 Jan 14 20:56
Monday afternoon at 12.30 radio 2 live draw, ah wonderful days
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 25 Jan 14 21:00
Typical big club supporter, the fa is a life saver to many lower league clubs. Some clubs only survive after a good run in the fa cup.

not everyone cares about self centred ********
By:
Darlo Bantam
When: 25 Jan 14 21:00
The league is boring - richest clubs win; teams celebrate coming fourth ffs; teams talk about avoiding relegation because of the money and nothing else. FA Cup is pure, raw football.
By:
bluemanc64
When: 25 Jan 14 21:02
Tell that to the thousands of Watford fans who outsang CITY fans,2-0 up did not deserve to lose,the fa.cup is alive and kicking.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 25 Jan 14 21:07
mesmerised ,is your team left in the fa cup ?
By:
toffee87
When: 25 Jan 14 21:21
to be fair, a lot of the big teams seem to be playing their full strength sides

Arsenal were strong last night, City today, Liverpool only rested their keeper, Everton only rested Howard and Lukaku.

Its more the teams like Southampton and Sunderland who make wholesale changes
By:
Born Unlucky
When: 25 Jan 14 21:23
AngryAngry
walofs!
By:
MysticMug
When: 25 Jan 14 21:50
I didn't even know Arsenal were playing last night until a couple of hours before

Sounds to me like you're a **** fan, therefore your opinion is worthless
By:
charwell.
When: 25 Jan 14 21:58
The FA Cup is great.

Arsenal haven't won a trophy for years yet c0ck a snoot to the greatest domestic cup competition in world football. If you count coming 4th every season as an achievement then I pity you. Football should be about winning things, and not just milking a cash cow.

Typical Sky Sports upbringing for the deluded gooner.
By:
bluemanc64
When: 25 Jan 14 22:01
Took my grandson today CITY v Watford,half time 2-0 down he wanted to go home,I had to explain the 40 odd years I had to watch the ups and downs,he was buzzing at full time,love the cup.
By:
mesmerised
When: 25 Jan 14 22:02
mortpeh, my team played last night, I watched, we won, but I was more concerned with how much I won rather than the result, because I have little feeling left for any domestic cup, it's only really good for blooding youngsters for us, it's a fact of life, MysticMugget, when has an FA Cup match ever been played on a Friday?

I don't care about little clubs going on a run, I care about what's good for my team in the same way you only really care about what's good for your team, and what's good for us is the league and the Champions League, you ask most of our fans and they will happily tell you it's the only two they are bothered about, you'll get a few romantics and traditionalist who will peddle the "how special it still is" line but really the interest levels is not half as much as they used to.
By:
Roker_Park
When: 25 Jan 14 22:03
Mesmerised seems like your typical Skyboy, fed on a diet of Andy Gray and Martin Tyler and allowing himself to be brainwashed.
By:
dizzydavid1
When: 25 Jan 14 22:05
Mesmerised I have to agree with the others, you sound like the type who thinks football was invented by Sky in the early 90s and that the game is all about the premier****e rather than about the 92 plus the pyramid.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 25 Jan 14 22:06
its about glory ,its about winning things , not about staying up,  qualifying for competitions that you cant win.
By:
mesmerised
When: 25 Jan 14 22:14
Didn't grow up with Sky.

Had four TV channels til 97

Had five TV channels til freeview

Never bought Sky I would never give a penny to that withered old worm Murdoch, stream everything - hth.

It just does nothing for fans of big clubs, it's a natural process when you're at the top end, I wouldn't expect fans of smaller clubs to understand until they get here.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 25 Jan 14 22:15
bet david moyes wishes man u were still in it
By:
dizzydavid1
When: 25 Jan 14 22:25
How many big clubs are there? 6,10,20?
How many professional clubs are there? 104,106, 112?
How many clubs enter the FA Cup? I don't know but it's in the hundreds at least.

It's the beautiful game, the national game. It's for everyone, all the clubs, not just the big ones, and if you take the big ones out it devalues everything, turns it into an alternative Football League Trophy.We already have one of those, we don't need two of them.
By:
Capt__F
When: 25 Jan 14 22:30
not so long ago chelski the also rans
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 25 Jan 14 22:32
knew it, basically supported arsenal when they were winning.

****** knows nothing about his local club.
By:
Burton-Brewers
When: 25 Jan 14 22:37
yes chuck 150 years history down the drain the same as when the "big" clubs shat on the old championship
By:
donny osmond
When: 25 Jan 14 22:37
maybe one cup would be better than two
By:
mesmerised
When: 25 Jan 14 22:54
Lol Ibra, you aint got a clue what you're talking about sunshine, started supporting Arsenal when we were known as Boring Boring Arsenal and finished 12th in the league, favourite book was Fever Pitch and read a couple of Brian Glanville's one's on us so what I don't about us know is not worth knowing. Also, we haven't a pot in the best part of a decade so instead of ranting like a women in period pains ask insteadWink

Just because the FA Cup means something to you and other fans of smaller clubs, you should still have intelligence to realise times have changed, it's je ne sais quoi faded along time ago and the big clubs have much bigger fish to fry.
By:
charwell.
When: 25 Jan 14 22:56
mesmerised = bell end.

End of thread.
By:
mesmerised
When: 25 Jan 14 22:59
Grow up Charlene.
By:
stonecold-
When: 25 Jan 14 22:59
im also an arsenal fan but still really like the fa cup. not keen on the other one but good to test younger players in
By:
cricnut
When: 25 Jan 14 23:12
Its the Capital One Cup, thats pointless, as the attendances, at these games are so poor, it must cost some clubs money to play the matches.
By:
mesmerised
When: 25 Jan 14 23:20
Packed crowd at Sunderland a few minutes agoLaugh

Case rested.
By:
Coachbuster
When: 25 Jan 14 23:21
do away with the freight rover/ paints trophy /full members cup

that's the silly one

those games could be used as FA cup games instead and have an extra round for league and non league sides ,regionalise it a bit

Yeovil v Carsisle will appeal to no one

Yeovil v Bournemouth will

Then include the EPL side in 2 phases

Include the top 8 EPL sides in at a  later time

It encourages teams to get that 8th spot ,and frees up the Euro sides
By:
Coachbuster
When: 25 Jan 14 23:24
I undertsnad where mesmerised is coming from - all fans want Champions league glory ,it's the cream .

Arsenal also know they have only a 1 in 5 chance of winning the FA cup,so it's still a lottery .

For a fan of say Bristol City or Northampton ,the cup is then about creating that upset . N'hampton beating Everton away (e.g)will live in the memory  ,Arsenal winning at Everton in the cup  will not
By:
Coachbuster
When: 25 Jan 14 23:27
I think this debate will crop up again as there wasn't a SINGLE upset today

Kidderminster the nearest to one Sad
By:
Biscuit1979
When: 25 Jan 14 23:29
Yeah Sunderland, the side who've just got to Wembley. Great example that Laugh
By:
donny osmond
When: 25 Jan 14 23:47
if there was only one cup, with regional qualifying in say 8 groups with an open draw at quarter final stage you would get more
interest

last 16 would end up , more or less, as derbies, and regional cups could be presented if required

winners into champs league, losers to europa would guarantee a bit more interest
By:
Coachbuster
When: 25 Jan 14 23:50
indeed donny
By:
Coachbuster
When: 25 Jan 14 23:52
we need more derby opportunities
By:
mesmerised
When: 26 Jan 14 00:02
The League cup in particular is treated with disdain by the big boys, only if they reach the latter stages do they take it seriously.

Donny's idea is a good one as money talks and the likeliness is the FA won't get rid of it for the big pay days at Wembley, but how much intrinsic value it that really place on it is obvious, only have to look back to 2000 when they encouraged United to play in some trumped up competition in South America and abandon their status as current holders, and not having it as the last game of the season.

I know I'm right but the fans of little clubs can't think beyond their next big day out to one of the big clubs in the draw goes their way.
By:
dizzydavid1
When: 26 Jan 14 00:07
"I know I'm right but the fans of little clubs can't think beyond their next big day out to one of the big clubs in the draw goes their way."

Arrogance isn't the nicest of qualities and if you knew anything about the game of football as a whole outside your little bubble, you'd realise how simplistic it is to say "I know I'm right" in this case.
By:
mesmerised
When: 26 Jan 14 00:19
Save the character assessment I'm not interested.

Factually I know I am correct, it's very simple, means a lot to lower league clubs, doesn't mean a lot to the bigger clubs / fans / players, are you honestly telling me it's the same now as it used to be? now where near and ever will be again, have to deal with the reality and adapt - only a  matter of time before the Europa League is scrapped too and the Champions League is doubled.

Very least Have the two domestics cups conjoined and have done with it.
By:
Coachbuster
When: 26 Jan 14 00:27
i think what has happend ia the top 4 or 5 clubs have been 'taken out' of the top flight /division

most of the premier league is nearer to the championship in terms of stadia ,facilities,money ,fan base and status

those 5 elite may as well play in a super league

20 or 30 years ago you didn't have this issue with money so top heavy , and very rich owners

times have changed  indeed

it would normally be a case of customers voting with their feet if it was the high street  ,ie Arsenal deserting the 'emirates' (thats something else thats crept into the game Cry) and supporting Leyton Orient or Barnet

But football isnt a heartfelt business , fans will want to win at all costs

Crystal Palace would swap their status with Chelsea in a heartbeat

Man City were in league One a few short seasons ago - their fans are lapping up this new found success
By:
dizzydavid1
When: 26 Jan 14 00:29
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think that's a much better post than your last one and I might not necessarily be against ditching the League Cup.Just don't forget that the big clubs are just a part of the pyramid, same as the little clubs are, long history , proud tradition etc. Anyway, without my team to teach Scezney and Akpom all about what first team football is really like, your Arsenal would be that little bit worse off, wink icon.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com