Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
george.m
26 Nov 12 10:20
| Topic/replies: 929 | Blogger: george.m's blog
Betfair Group plc ("Betfair") today announces that the company will withdraw from the Greek market until such time that there is greater clarity on the regulatory situation.
Betfair has, to date, not applied for a permit to operate in Greece as, according to legal advice received, the value of these permits is unclear and we consider the gambling legislation in the country to be inconsistent with European law. Furthermore, the associated fiscal conditions attached to these permits, which may include payment of taxes on historical revenues, make the market economically unattractive.
Betfair has been working with the Remote Gambling Association (RGA) to achieve legislation that allows fair competition in the market. It is disappointing, however, that the European Commission has, despite previously stated intentions to the contrary, not taken effective action to prevent protectionist behaviour.
On 5 November 2012, the Greek Gaming Commission issued a Decision that includes provisions for financial penalties and criminal sanctions against gaming operators that continue to operate in the market without a permit. Betfair believes that there are significant issues with the legality of this Decision. However, until greater clarity is received, we have taken the decision to withdraw from the market and will continue to support the RGA's efforts.
Prior to our decision to withdraw from the market, Betfair had been expected to generate £13 million of revenue and £7 million of contribution from the Greek market in the current financial year.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 53
By:
george.m
When: 26 Nov 12 10:21
3rd of december 2012 sad news for Greek traders
By:
salzburg2
When: 26 Nov 12 12:09
i hate to be greek . now i wish i could change country
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:05
Hello, I am Greek too, Is there any way of continue betting here after 3rd of December?
I think I can work it out with Ip changing, but what should I do about Adress verification?
By:
george.m
When: 26 Nov 12 13:06
move to a different country
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:12
propably in a 2-3 years...! till then , I suppose I must bet on those mugs of Sporting Bet
By:
judorick
When: 26 Nov 12 13:21
everybody else has so why not Betfair?
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:24
Untill now I think 24 companies have been authorised, most of them are so small that I think only the owner places bets.
The only well known is SportingBet
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:35
so we can only bet until the 3rd o December...****...

What about the forum? will we have access...
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:38
I think yes, as the account will continue to exist, just you will not be able to place bets
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:40
what if we hide our IP address?
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:44
Even if we do that, I suppose we will have to send adress verification, which is NOT from Greece..
solve that problem and IP is the easy part Cool
By:
Quatsch
When: 26 Nov 12 13:44
You can spoof your IP address, but can you spoof your home address/bank account? (Assuming you win, as everyone on here -- but me -- always seems to do... Grin)
By:
Biscuit1979
When: 26 Nov 12 13:47
https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:47
Only if we send our money in an account abroad...
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:48
One solution  is when you have a friend or relative abroad, and register his adress/acc bank, and you just play from Greece.
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:49
what about cyprus? What if we open an account in the bank of Cyprus?
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:50
I think betfair is not allowed in Cyprus too!
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:52
**** even in Cyprus...
By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:53
At least we could use the forum....

What companies can we bet...?
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:56
http://www.capital.gr/news.asp?id=1405964
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 13:57
Propably more companies will be authorised untill 5 of December
By:
Quatsch
When: 26 Nov 12 13:58

Nov 26, 2012 -- 1:48PM, Mental wrote:

One solution

By:
bloomy08
When: 26 Nov 12 13:59
no trading in these **** companies right?

AS IMG KASIINOD
Β2Β GAMING SERVICES MALTA LIMITED
CASH POINT (MALTA) LIMITED
DIAMOND LINK LIMITED
DOMS CARS EΠΕ
DOMS HOLDINGS EΠΕ
ELDORADO SPORTWETTEN GmbH
GAMBLING MALTA Ltd
GLB GmbH
KINGMAKER LIMITED
LOGFLEX EΠΕ
LOVE 2 CELEBRATE EΠE
LUCKY STREAM LIMITED
MAGIC SERVICES LIMITED
MERIDIAN GAMING LIMITED
ON LINE AMUSEMENT SOLUTIONS LIMITED
ON LINE AMUSEMENT SOLUTIONS NV
PADDY POWER P.I.C.
PERSONAL EXCHANGE INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
REBELS GAMINE LTD
SILVER LINK LIMITED
SPORTING ODDS LIMITED
STS SPORTWETTEN GmbH
YEZ GAMING LTD.
By:
Quatsch
When: 26 Nov 12 13:59
Ugh...

Again: Sure you wanna get your friend in trouble if you 'get caught'? Great way to risk ruining a good friendship, if he gets his bank account closed and who knows what else.

Is there a difference (in relation to using Betfair) between Greek and Turkish Cyprus?
By:
hippie
When: 26 Nov 12 14:02
The difference is Turkish Cyprus doesn't exist
By:
Mental
When: 26 Nov 12 14:03
"Turkish Cyprus" is not a country. Is occupied Cyprus.
By:
Quatsch
When: 26 Nov 12 14:10
Yeah, I know that it's not officially a country, but I was wondering how (if) that situation effects 'everyday life', so to speak.

I just thought that perhaps if you're allowed to use Betfair in Turkey (are you?), they might allow Turks in that part of Cyprus to log on as well. Technically it's easy to establish from where you're logging in, so that can't be the problem. I knew there was very little chance of it making any difference, but it was something I was curious about.

Oh, well. Considering the number of Greeks in Britain, surely they all have at least one friend with a bank account? Grin
By:
xGURKx
When: 26 Nov 12 14:13
imvho Betfair are a bunch of ****, with a license in GB why do they bother what a few retarded politicians in German od Greece say? Of what BF are afraid of? Could anyone please explain? I'd be very grateful if R.A.F. could bomb our Reichstag and blow all those overpaid muppets to hell! Still sick of our german 9/11 AngryCry
By:
hippie
When: 26 Nov 12 14:15
If any Greeks need a free VPN with a server in the UK for any reason:

http://www.expatshield.com/
By:
themover
When: 26 Nov 12 14:22
BF aren't going to give two hoots where you are from as long as they can cover themselves when they are asked to provide necessary security checks eg. money laundering etc. and are not seen to be operating in countries where they are not licensed to do so. Firstly someone needs to establish whether this is going to be an address restriction to the exchange or an IP based one. If I'm a British citizen and I happen to go and reside in Greece for 6 months I can guarantee the Greek government can do jack **** about me trading on Betfair! Furthermore being in the EU I can go and register in France, Germany, Spain, Romania, Poland, Italy, and Greece in the space of a week if I wanted to!
By:
xGURKx
When: 26 Nov 12 14:25
AS A FREE CITIZEN AND NATURAL BORN EUROPEAN I DEMAND MY F*CKING RIGHT TO ACCESS THE EXCHANGE!!!!
By:
themover
When: 26 Nov 12 14:26
apparently the EU was all about borderless trading between EU countries Laugh
By:
salzburg2
When: 26 Nov 12 14:27
i do not know anyone from these companys!!! only padder maybe
What about sattelite internet; anyone knows;
By:
xGURKx
When: 26 Nov 12 14:30
Well next year I'm Austrian and then give a f*ck about good ol' Germany! Cool
By:
themover
When: 26 Nov 12 14:30
off to Wien xGurkx ?
By:
xGURKx
When: 26 Nov 12 14:32
Maybe, but could also do with Braunau Laugh
By:
Biscuit1979
When: 26 Nov 12 14:32
I can see a time when the only place betfair actually is allowed is Britain
By:
themover
When: 26 Nov 12 14:34
nah Biscuit, I reckon the governments will eventually realise they are just simply missing out on some tax and a suitable agreement will be reached. For example now Germany is getting sweet zero from Betfair, and if they think nobody in Germany is using Betfair then they are cuckoos, same as Spain and lots of others.
By:
hippie
When: 26 Nov 12 14:37
Betfair are putting up a fight in Cyprus:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9534217/Betfair-to-challenge-Cyprus-ban.html
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com