Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stu
30 Dec 16 17:25
| Topic/replies: 15,665 | Blogger: stu's blog
I know there may be a lot who would simply ignore the last H2H of these two - but is there anything in the fact that Gurney beat him in their latest match?

Not necessarily suggesting a huge shock win, but potentially closer than the odds?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 22
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 17:27
That was a non tv event, this is a whole new ball game on the big stage at the biggest event.
w
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 17:39
Course I agree with that angoose, though Gurney's also won matches here too so some suggestion he can cope with that factor.

As I say, I wouldn't say this is something to make anyone back Gurney to win this, but could it be competitive at least?
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 17:46
Currently available to back at 21, if he's got first throw and can get of to a flyer, take the set, possible chance for a trade.
However, if they played twenty times, how many times would you expect MVG to win, if it's 19 then the prices are on the money.
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 17:54
Thinking the value might be more opposing the bigger margins of win for MVG personally - (using the spread betting market prices too to do that). Number of total legs for Gurwin for example is quoted pretty low.

Another way to imagine this matchup is whether the player he's just beat (Webster) would be priced so heavily behind in these markets. I'm tempted to bet that the game goes closer than predicted, though of course Van Gerwin will still likely win.
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 17:55
*Gurney, apols.
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 17:58
That could well be the angle to go with, we've seen a number of matches look as though they would be runaway trains only for the front runner to ease off the gas.

We set incredibly high expectations when they come out of the gates all guns blazing.
Inevitable that there will be lulls.
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 18:04
Hoping so, just a small lull in MVG's game could give a profit if opposing an easy win here (in either legs or sets).
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 18:11
Bought the total legs Gurney at 8.2 with the spreads - with such a low quote even the downside is limited. If he collapses and doesn't win a leg so be it. But he only has to hang in a few sets to profit on that.
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 18:22
Good luck with that and keep your chin up, geddit ..... Silly
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 18:24
Cheers angoose Grin
By:
scarecrow
When: 30 Dec 16 18:28
gurney is a decent player.i thought that in his last match,he was almost looking for an excuse for not winning.his body language,attitude was pretty poor.i think he knew he should beat webster hence blaming the crowd etc.never a great idea to get them on your back.tonight he has nothing to lose so i expect him to play better against mvg,because mentally he is almost certainly going into the match with less expectation this time.i would be surprised if he did not pick up at least one set.
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 18:45
Hope so scarecrow, playing without fear I hope with nothing to lose here.
By:
sammybizzle
When: 30 Dec 16 19:00
He was a complete prick in Webster match.Was bizarre. He will try his tactic to get under Van Gerwen's skin tonight. Think it might work too. But the crowd won't forget. And so much noise will be made on shots to win a leg . He completely shot himself in the foot there. He'd be smart to wear things in his ears because it most definitely affected him in Webster match.
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 20:15
What's he got to date, is it five at 4-1 ?
By:
Latalomne
When: 30 Dec 16 20:17
Not as many as he should have.
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 20:21
Fine margins innit, if they never missed there would be no drama.
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 20:23
There's two more .....
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 20:24
Seven's his lot then, close but no cigar Plain
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 20:29
Yep, no real loss on the spreads, but should have just laid the 5-0 instead.
By:
stu
When: 30 Dec 16 20:40
8 legs settled with the spreads, are you guys missing one?
By:
Angoose
When: 30 Dec 16 20:44
I must have missed one ....
By:
DHB
When: 01 Jan 17 18:03
The only time I've actually seen Gurney play was in his BDO days either in the 2009 or 2010 world championships. His play was bizarre in that if he hit a treble 20 with his first dart he'd often get a 180. However, if he didn't hit a treble 20 with his first dart he'd throw rubbish with the other two. I've remember him since then solely from that one performance I saw and not in a good way.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com