Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Angoose
30 Dec 16 10:02
| Topic/replies: 24,312 | Blogger: Angoose's blog
Is it simply because he is not Phil ?

Anyway, two true stories about Barney.

Story 1
I was flying from Aberdeen to Dubai for the second part of a job interview in early January 2008 and transited through Amsterdam airport.
Up ahead of me, quietly waiting to board the plane was Barney and Sylvia.

On we got and much to my surprise, Barney and the wife turned to the right and made their way to cattle class with the rest of us.
They were sat just a few rows in front of me but Barney had at least splashed out and booked and paid for three seats to accommodate his and Sylvia's ample frames.

It was a very interesting demonstration of thoughtful thriftiness from the man who had been the reigning world champion until just a week earlier.Grin

Story 2
A former Texan friend and colleague of mine was undertaking some oilfield training at a facility in the Bridge of Don area of Aberdeen.
After a busy day, he made his way to the bar in his nearby hotel for a refreshment or two and got talking to a stranger sat next to him.

My friend asked his new acquaintance what he did for a living and was told that he was a professional darts player.
"Darts, you can't make a living playing darts" exclaimed my friend, "you can if you play like me" replied his new drinking buddy who then asked my friend what he was doing later.

He told him that he had nothing planned so the stranger told him to return to the bar later on and there would be a ticket for him to go and watch a darts match later  that evening.

My friend then went for a shower before heading back to the bar where there was a ticket for the Premier League event in the nearby conference and exhibition centre. And it wasn't any old ticket, it was a ticket at Barney's table with free booze all night for my friend who is now Barney's biggest Texan fan.

A very nice gesture that possibly goes someway to answering the question posed in the thread.

Impossible not to admire and respect Phil's achievements in the game but possibly got  a bit of work to do in the PR front.
Pause Switch to Standard View Why Is Barney As Popular As He Is ?
Show More
Report attitude adjuster December 30, 2016 11:40 AM GMT
Great anecdote sir Happy
Report Spock December 30, 2016 12:24 PM GMT
Class!
Report theres only one best tonic December 30, 2016 12:37 PM GMT
Whereas Taylor would say he could get you a ticket and it'll only cost you thirty quid
Report bobweenit December 30, 2016 12:37 PM GMT
RAYMOND VANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IS THE MANCool
Report wisewords December 30, 2016 1:06 PM GMT
BARNEY ARMY
Report Angoose December 30, 2016 10:32 PM GMT
ExcitedExcitedExcitedExcitedExcited B-A-R-N-E-Y ExcitedExcitedExcitedExcitedExcited
Report Angoose January 1, 2017 9:30 PM GMT
He can't, can he Surprised
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com