Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
STUDYFORM
31 Dec 12 17:30
| Topic/replies: 19,487 | Blogger: STUDYFORM's blog
It's a strange British trait. Try to knock the best down.
So many people loved Steve Davis when he was first a champion, then once he was established as best, it was cool to hate him and cheer on every opponent.

All the berating without actually knowing any of the facts. There's a good chance we'll never really know what caused the unhappiness last night.
I think there are an inordinate number of anti-Taylor posts/threads.

When I saw the interview after his 1/4 final match, Taylor didn't seem to me to be trying to get to Barney, he was being goaded by the presenter and he reacted, saying whatever came into his head.

If MVG were to become champion for the next 10 years, there would be loads of posts on here knocking him and giving reasons why he's an asrehole etc etc.

The fact is that unlike in most other sports Phil Taylor is as big as the sport, he is brilliant and has deserved his place at the top for so long because he is so brilliant.
He shunned the camaraderie of others on the circuit years ago and deliberately set himself apart from most of them saying he was there to do a job of work and to beat these people at darts, not be part of a gang, and that was what he was there for. Many pro's don't like him and he doesn't care. Why should he?

I have more admiration for Phil Taylor than I have for any other person in any other sport. What he has achieved is incredible.
So as he inevitably slides down the rankings or even retires, his excellence shouldn't be forgotten nor should it become fashionable to run him down, hate him, or want him to lose.
It's all hype and a sort of Sky advertising, and Sky doesn't care about Sport, Darts OR people. Sky only cares about profit, and if getting everyone arguing about stuff or increasing veiwing figures might result in more advertising revenue, that'll do them.

I very much like MVG too and think he has a future which could emulate Taylor's.
Hopefully the final might be a really close really exciting affair.

And may the best man (on the night) win.
Pause Switch to Standard View Everyone's slagging Taylor off right...
Show More
Report AyersRock December 31, 2012 6:35 PM GMT
your pushing it a bit calling it a sport, but tbf I saw taylor interviewed on Sky and he was very repentant, said he was even disillusioned with the game.

nice write up
Report wallis December 31, 2012 6:39 PM GMT
Hearn wants darts to become like wrestling simple as. All this put on arguing and nonsense created just to keep the ratings up. SKY helping to whip it all up as usual. Every round was accompanined by a "they dont like each other do they Rod ?" , whether its Barney Taylor or all the way back to Peter with a snake on his head supposedly disliking MVG.

Its just becoming a farcical pantomime.
Report aberdonia December 31, 2012 6:46 PM GMT
i loved Stephen Hendry, he is a winner, also Tiger Woods.

Taylor has been a **** for years, but it was kept in check because he was winning all the time.

Now that his time is nearly up, the true Taylor is coming to the fore and it is not pretty.
Report Nilsson Schmilsson December 31, 2012 6:49 PM GMT
in the last decade or so he's gone being a bit unlikeable to a complete t0sser
Report cj180 December 31, 2012 6:56 PM GMT
I don't remember Steve Davis telling anyone to F*** Off when his vanquished opponent offered his hand. Taylor's common as muck and a nasty piece of work. A total phoney and the mask slipped big time last night.
Report STUDYFORM December 31, 2012 6:59 PM GMT
I don't agree.
I quite like him.

Whether it's a sport or not is an old unwinnable discussion, but at least you get my drift.

Also - As an Orient fan, my jury is out on Mr Hearn.
The whole thing is a big marketing exercise.
Report STUDYFORM December 31, 2012 7:00 PM GMT
cj180, you're proving my point.
they shook hands, then Barney didn't let go, and pulled Taylor back.
Other than that neither of us knows what happened.
Report cj180 December 31, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
You're not listening studyform. Telling someone to 'F*** Off' whilst the spotlight is on you? Enjoy your hero.
Report Brian_Ookiebasher December 31, 2012 7:06 PM GMT
Don't remember Davis or Hendry being found guilty of indecent assault either.

As a Dart player the man is pure class 100 per cent

As a man he is just a pikey scum bag... and last night proved it.

Show a bit of class Phil.. shake the mans hand then start all the Fist shaking boll0cks to the crowd.
Theres Bad losers but Taylor last night was worse...a bad winner
Report STUDYFORM December 31, 2012 7:14 PM GMT
cj - This has never happened before has it?
he is - I will.

Brian. There are bad losers (and winners) in all sports, I don't like them either, as for fist shaking and cheering before hand-shaking, I would suggest that this is almost universally the order in which things are done.
I have no real take on what happened last night as I have no idea what really happened. Nor do you.
Mostly though, I don't care.

Nothing I have seen or heard can detract from Taylor's excellence at darts, which is all I do (and everybody should) care about.

As for being a phoney.... that makes no sense.
Report baNjackst December 31, 2012 7:16 PM GMT
Taylor is and always was a professional w*****. He got very good at a pub game and should appreciate that it turned him into a millionaire. Disillusioned, isn't that the way he made other players feel for 25 years. The cheek of the b    d.
Report Brian_Ookiebasher December 31, 2012 7:17 PM GMT
A Phoney???  at what?
Report Brian_Ookiebasher December 31, 2012 7:18 PM GMT
"A Phoney"???  At what?
Report Marcce December 31, 2012 7:41 PM GMT
Paul Nicholson's brother is particularly scathing.

https://twitter.com/brothertheAsset
Report STUDYFORM December 31, 2012 7:55 PM GMT
The other pro's don't like him. This probably extends to their families.
Report DartsnBooze December 31, 2012 8:30 PM GMT
Great opening post STUDYFORM

AyersRock 31 Dec 12 18:35 Joined: 27 Oct 11 | Topic/replies: 312 | Blogger: AyersRock's blog
your pushing it a bit calling it a sport,

If it's not a ball or round shaped it's not a sport???
There's loads of parallels to darts that are classed as sports. In the Olympics we have the likes of rifle shooting and rowing.

I will forever defend darts as a sport. 90% of my thoughts revolve around out great game, both on and off the oche. The other 10% is on booze.
Report The Priest December 31, 2012 8:52 PM GMT
Great post Studyform

The reason the other players don't like Taylor is because for all these years he has been winning it has cost them in the pocket.

Painter has even gone on record moaning that Taylor has cost him something like 2 million pounds or something stupid because of all the times he has had to face Taylor in the opening rounds and lost.

If the other players don't like to lose to him why don't they put the dedication in like he does , stop worrying like Wright and Nicholson about your on stage personna and get down and practice till it hurts , if you do that and you still can't beat him then just accept he is better than you.

I for one did think Taylor let Barney get to him pre match with that rubbish of Barney's ' I don't fear him, I want to play him ' and Taylor should have made more light of it but one silly reaction shouldn't get him treated like he has done , Taylor will get the boo's now the crowd have found a new messiah to bow to in Gerwen.

Sky have already lined up Gerwen as the new idol of there's , notice how the musical montages with Gerwen are very much like the ones they do for Taylor , you know that behind the scenes at Sky they have been sh!tting themselves what to do when Taylor retires and like a gift from the God's along comes Van Gerwen , O how they must have dropped to there knees and given thanks to the great God of Hyperbole.

Taylor is a proper professional which is why he hates it when the crowd are doing there stupid chants when he's throwing instead of actually appearing to be there for the Darts and watching the best players in the world perform , even when Gerwen and Lewis were at the critical point in there match you could see half the crowd facing away from the action and chanting at the tables/stands , so no excuses about doing it inbetween sets or when Doolan is playing Ovens for e.g

He does let things get to him but thats because he is a perfectionist.

I sincerely hope he wins tomorrow and then retires and let the rest scrap it out for years to come.
Report STUDYFORM December 31, 2012 9:01 PM GMT
Excellent post yourself Priest.

I couldn't agree more with all you wrote.
Report Marcce December 31, 2012 9:34 PM GMT
I have the utmost respect for Taylor and nobody can take away the fact that he's been a colossus within darts. When you watch any sport you want to see it being played as well as it can be and he has consistently done that.

But his persona has become a real issue. I used to tend to ignore it to a large degree but over the past 12 months or so I've found him to be increasingly unlikeable as a person. That culminated in events both before and after last night's match.

So great darts player that he is, possibly the best we'll ever see, I hope Van Gerwen wipes the floor with him.
Report werthecardinals December 31, 2012 9:39 PM GMT
There's clearly lots of people on here who are on mvg at decent prices or have layed taylor and the closer we've got to the final the more agitated they've got! Darts is a working mans sport and gamesmanship and fighting etc simply goes with the territory always has done always will do.like it or lump it it adds to the spectacle! the only people who ultimately get upset by all this are the ones whose wallets are on the line namely the betting public! Did anyone mention yesterday that wade couldn't even acknowledge mvg with his 9 dart efforts?! If u watch darts regularly then nothing that's happened in the worlds will have surprised u. However if ur horrified at the behaviour or upset at it then the chances are u don't watch much of it and therefore probably think mvg will win the final at a canter! :)
Report Ozymandius December 31, 2012 10:17 PM GMT
Nothing I have seen or heard can detract from Taylor's excellence at darts, which is all I do (and everybody should) care about.

So by that logic if Adolf Hitler was knocking in the 180s, he would also become a hero of yours?
Report Kingmambo January 1, 2013 12:14 AM GMT
Quite.  I don't see those knocking him doubting his standing as the greatest darts player of all time.  He's just an utter coont that's all.  If that's how you like your heroes then fair enough.
Report STUDYFORM January 1, 2013 12:19 AM GMT
Ozymandius.
That is a ridiculous analogy, on just about every level.
Report Captain Christy January 1, 2013 9:42 AM GMT
He is a bit like Federer, got to be so good at the game that he became dismissive of everyone else and a smug bastud.
Report STUDYFORM January 1, 2013 10:26 AM GMT
Thing is, none of us knows the man or what he's really like.
It's well known that the other pro's don't get on with Taylor and I should think that this filters through to the media. Not only that but Sky (and the papers) love a bit of contention and 'edge'.

I think that if we have preconceptions, ie like or don't like someone, then we will perceive whatever they say or do to be proof of what we're already thinking of them.
Report harry2.1 January 1, 2013 11:39 AM GMT
Love him or hate him, if it wasn't for Taylor the PDC would just be like the BDO and there would be next to no TV coverage. They would all be playing for peanuts as well. The two outfits would have to remerge and all we would see is Lakeside once a year if lucky.
Report The Priest January 1, 2013 1:46 PM GMT
Mark my words.

As much as you all may think the other players hate Taylor , that will be nothing to the hate they will have for Van Gerwen very shortly when not only is he winning but all that face pulling , fist pumping and general screaming will quickly (if it hasn't already) wear on everybody's nerves.

Lewis you could tell by the looks he was giving Gerwen over his ridiculous over the top celebrations (people think there cute now , hmmm wait till you've had a number of years of them) wasn't impressed at all and the same i suspect goes double for Wade which is why he wasn't exactly jumping onto his back over his 9 darter.

Van Gerwen will become Mr Hate as soon as Taylor goes.
Report PHILthePOWER January 1, 2013 2:17 PM GMT
MVG's celebrations are stupid, he goes mad after winning one leg, like hamilton.

Guys like Taylor, Beaton, Baxter, Barney only cheer when they win an important leg, thats the way it should be done
Report King Cally January 1, 2013 3:16 PM GMT
I have found the vitriol spewed in Taylors direction nothing short of incredible. Sure he was a bit out of order to react the way he did, sure he has made a few crass comments down the years, but the general reaction on here and elsewhere has been well over the top.

Barney was on the wind up by grabbing and pulling his hand and then putting his arm round his neck. Taylor clearly didnt like this, but Barney carried on.

Taylors character has been a bit David Brent at times, but he is usually very generous in defeat and in Barney's own words was the only player who supported him at one low point in his personal life.

I am obviously in quite a minority, but I hope Taylor can fulfill his dream and land one last World title and the first Sid Waddell Trophy!
Report deadbrain59 January 1, 2013 4:45 PM GMT
THE POWER,HIS RECORD WILL STAND FOREVER,i remember another young dutch,beating barney in a final,where did he dissapear too.GrinGrinHappyHappyLaughLaugh
Report pollybournemouth January 1, 2013 5:19 PM GMT
You tell erm Philthepower lol You make the rules for the human race and tell erm all whats right whats wrong and what we can all do
Report DeSSieReborn January 1, 2013 6:09 PM GMT
I think his wife was perfectly justified..............
Report STUDYFORM January 1, 2013 11:27 PM GMT
I was looking at the main in running thread throughout the evening. I've never seen so much crap written.

It doesn't matter what Taylor said or did during or after the final, he couldn't get it right.

If he's magnanimous and kind in victory, he's smug. If he gives the dartboard away to Bruce, he's cringeworthy.
If he hadn't been magnanimous and kind he'd have been wrong.

I refer you to my opening post. For lots of people, for no real reason, he's become a figure of hate.
I often wonder if jealousy plays a part.

As King Cally says; I have found the vitriol spewed in Taylor's direction nothing short of incredible.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 1, 2013 11:31 PM GMT
You stick to idolising a man who sexually assaults young women then, i'll stick to my opinion the man is an absolute cant.

Still i can't and would never deny he is the best player ever to pick up a dart, an absolutely unbelievable dart player.
Report STUDYFORM January 1, 2013 11:41 PM GMT
This is another load of bullshhit that's been creeping into the forum for the last few days.

The intimation that he's some kind of kiddie fiddler, (and I know you didn't say he was).
Once again, as with the rest of the pony I've read on here, we all no nothing of the facts, save for a couple of ( well in their 20's btw) women's words against his.
I'm not suggesting he's innocent, nor that he's wonderful, just a puzzlement at the apparent hatred.
Report CASHINVEST January 1, 2013 11:43 PM GMT
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
01 Jan 13 23:31

I HAVE REPORTED YOUR COMMENTS TO BETFAIR AND I HAVE PUT THIS MATTER IN THE HANDS OF MY LEGAL TEAM.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 1, 2013 11:47 PM GMT
the women where 23 and he was found guilty.

People don't like him as he comes across as a patronising tw@t and the way he went on after the 1/4 final saying those things about Barney (who i wouldn't be a fan of either) showed him up for what he is, he then proceeded to show himself up again after the 1/2 final.

You seem to think he is just disliked because he is the best in the sport, no doubt that is the case with some who always want to see the best beaten and will go for the underdog but it's not hard to see why so many dislike him for the way he carrys on.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 1, 2013 11:47 PM GMT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/1203738.stm

good man you report me for saying it as it is Laugh
Report CASHINVEST January 1, 2013 11:50 PM GMT
EXPECT A CALL SOON
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 1, 2013 11:51 PM GMT
bore off ya 2 bob tw@t
Report CASHINVEST January 1, 2013 11:56 PM GMT
I HAVE YOUR IP ADDRESS

YOU HAVE BROKE THE LAW.
Report STUDYFORM January 1, 2013 11:58 PM GMT
Reading that link, it hardly seems the crime of the century, as there seems to be quite a bit of doubt - despite the verdict.
What I do think, p_r_e_m, is that people are reviling Taylor for no real reason, or without knowing him, or really knowing about him. To a point where he cannot possibly say or do the right thing. I haven't seen him "carry on" either.

I don't know him, I'm not saying he's lovely. If I did I'd be as wrong as all the people who are slating him.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 2, 2013 12:05 AM GMT
The fact is though you would never have had to start this thread in my opinion had he not mentioned the Barnevields maritial problems or Raymond thoughts when he was in a dark place, he should have kept that to himself as it was not his place to be talking about it (in my opinion). Then had he not gone on like he did after his semi final match in which he has admitted his behaviour was not good enough then people would not have been tearing into him (well maybe some would but not many) so it was by Taylors actions and then the reaction of people on here to Taylors actions that you started the thread.

I don't know him, I'm not saying he's lovely. If I did I'd be as wrong as all the people who are slating him.

That's true and i don't know him either and whether it's right or wrong of me to pass judgement on what i see of him from afar i don't like the person, love the darts player though.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 2, 2013 12:07 AM GMT
Anyway he was magnificant tonight, he really turned it on when he had too and that's why he is the 16 times World Champion.
Report CASHINVEST January 2, 2013 12:12 AM GMT
Notice of Intended Prosecution
Report STUDYFORM January 2, 2013 12:13 AM GMT
My last post before bed.
Fair comments tbh, except, I reckon even without that interview precipitating a lot of this, there would still have been nearly as much bile hurled in the general Taylor direction by the time the semis were over. Most of it is unfounded and I still believe it goes back to the willing on the underdog thing.

It has been an interesting couple of weeks though and I've enjoyed it.

Perhaps the BDO should go 1st in future years so that it doesn't seem such an anti-climax. I have the feeling it won't generate a fraction of the conversation of the PDC.
Report ralfdamouth January 2, 2013 12:22 AM GMT
Cashinvest  >>>>> what are you a copper or something??? go and take your head for a sh*t this is a darts forum you c*nt !!!!
Report olddesperado January 7, 2013 1:30 AM GMT
i think cashinvest is phil taylor the way he is carrying on.
Acting and coming across as a pr1ck is his domain after all.
Guilty of molesting two girls, touching up walk on girls asses [youtube], His regular squeezing of them before walk on ,[admitidly not recently].A imo horrified Kym marsh on his knee in tv interview.
Sometimes 2 and 2 do make 4.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com