Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DartsnBooze
27 Jul 12 12:54
| Topic/replies: 15,381 | Blogger: DartsnBooze's blog
.....And gets away with it!

Bookie Gary Wiltshire fleeces holiday punters @ Betfair booth - World Matchplay Darts 2012.

I went to the World Matchplay Darts @ Blackpool Winter Gardens on wednesday, and to say i was shocked at the odds i saw on display is somewhat of an understatement.
I couldn't help myself in asking the staff (2 of them) how they could take bets at criminally short odds from gullible punters.
The reply, "we work for betfair and just take the bets, we have nothing to do with the odds compilers".

Gary Wiltshire's wonderful odds: Wednesday 25th July 2012

Match betting:

MVG 4/9 v Beaton 5/4
Wade 1/8 v Walsh 10/3
Barney 3/10 v Jenkins 7/4
Lewis 1/12 v Andy Smith 4/1

Hot Pot:
lewis, mvg, wade & barney
all to win 6/5

Special Trebles:
lewis, mvg, wade 8/11
lewis, mvg, barney 10/11
lewis, wade, barney 8/15
mvg, wade, barney 1/1

A nine darter in any match (tonight 5/1

A 170 check out tonight 7/4

MOST 180'S:

Lewis 5/4
barney 11/4
jenkins 10/3
walsh 4/1
wade 5/1
mvg 7/1
smith 10/1
beaton 14/1

I returned to the booth several times and got into a bit of a heated discussion when a 3rd person appeared behind the counter. I took a great pic of him looking as shocked as the prices.

Beaton hit 10 x 180's and shortened into 4/7 fav 'in running' to hit most most 180's on the night.

Two remaining matches:
beaton 4/7
barney 4/1
jenkins 4/1
Lewis 6/4
smith 5/1

Going into the last match only lewis or smith could topple beaton.

The odds:

Beaton 4/9
Lewis 5/4 ( Lewis requires 11 or more.) The online bookies spread for Total Lewis 180's:  Under/Over 6.5 @ 5/6 each of 2.
Smith 3/1

SINGLES ONLY ALL OF THE ABOVE
Pause Switch to Standard View Arise Sir Gary Wiltshire - Bookie...
Show More
Report deansthemann July 27, 2012 1:00 PM BST
CRIMINAL - the fat man has become nothiong more than a brass and a sheep to the betting industry since his 7 figure loss on dettori day - no class
Report the silverback July 27, 2012 1:01 PM BST
DNB, was he trading under the betfair banner?
Report happyhibee July 27, 2012 1:12 PM BST
Thats absolutely horrific
Report DartsnBooze July 27, 2012 1:14 PM BST
Silver, it was under a Betfair banner (of sorts) with the staff wearing Betfair lanyards. Better still, there's a plaque on the wall stating:

"All bets placed here are made with Gary Wiltshire who is licenced by the gambling commission to accept bets."

A very strange agreement to have gary trading there and certainly no betfair terminals nor any sight of any betfair reps?
Report the silverback July 27, 2012 1:16 PM BST
I hope someone from betfair reads this thread and makes sure it doesn't happen at any future tournament they're involved in. It's a disgrace.
Report happyhibee July 27, 2012 1:28 PM BST
Better value by far. Looks like it ha ha
Report the silverback July 27, 2012 1:41 PM BST
I wonder how long it is before a rival firm runs an ad campaign highlighting how few times betfair fixed odds are top price compared to themselves. I don't see why they would even have to highlight the fact is was their fixed odds "arm" given that the FO are effectively betfair's price, and other prices are customer's prices.
Report thomasiner69 July 27, 2012 2:55 PM BST
Stan James did it properley.

Pre match coupons, in running betting & plus all the other live sport in the afternoon.

Whats going on? ?
Report plainmoor layer July 27, 2012 3:34 PM BST
Stan James did it properley.

Pre match coupons, in running betting & plus all the other live sport in the afternoon.

Whats going on? ?

True - Stans did provide a good service - even though most of the staff looked like they'd been up all night enjoying the Blackpool nightlife!
Report thomasiner69 July 27, 2012 3:50 PM BST
From what I've heard Gary W is running a little effort.

The real darts fans want a small bet and some banter at the counter. Stan James and the punters have lost out!
Report the silverback July 27, 2012 5:15 PM BST
Stan probably made a massive loss every year given the quality of their odds compilers.
Report RichyH July 27, 2012 11:11 PM BST
Beaton most 180's in running looked an all in
Report alfie46 July 28, 2012 4:46 PM BST
SHOCKING PRICES just back from winter gardens myself. Just Embarassing for betfair and pointless in betting.
Report RichyH July 28, 2012 5:47 PM BST
I heard his correct score prices weren't the best either?
Report CJ July 28, 2012 6:48 PM BST
Surely any serious punter has a mobile app nowadays. Can't remeber when i last placed a cash bet, on or off a racecourse.
Report RichyH July 28, 2012 7:06 PM BST

Jul 28, 2012 -- 12:48PM, CJ wrote:

Surely any serious punter has a mobile app nowadays. Can't remeber when i last placed a cash bet, on or off a racecourse.

I think your missing the point.

Report King Cally July 28, 2012 10:36 PM BST
Baffling that Betfair let someone like Wiltshire and his cronies,  fleece the casual punters under their name. 250% Correct score books when I was there earlier in the week.
Report the silverback July 28, 2012 10:44 PM BST
Only explanation I can think of is that, i think, it was a pretty late sponsorship deal so maybe they didn't have time to set anything up.

But, even so, they need to have a word.
Report nobbybarnesranoverthewrongtrip July 29, 2012 9:10 AM BST
what do you expect from someone who works for b fre d.

im off there myself this minute courtesy of betfair, hope to meet some dart forumites and have a beer or ten.
Report biscwits4 July 30, 2012 1:52 PM BST
In all respects what does everyone expect going into a venue where there's a captive audience, sureley it's the same
As paying 4 quid for a warm pint in a plastic glass or 3.50 for a burger that you no you can get for cheaper and better elsewhere before you go in ? Book making is a business at the end of the day and with 95 percent of favourites winning darts matches and not having 4 machines in every shop generating 1000's a day to cover loss's at market leading prices taking 5ers and 10ers doesnt pay expenses unfortunately especially when you have to pay such a percentage of your takings out. On the walk up to the winter gardens you must pass 4 high street bookmakers so there's an opportunity to get your bet on before you go in.
Report 9Dart July 30, 2012 1:58 PM BST
CJ
28 Jul 12 18:48
| Topic/replies: 1,907 | Blogger: CJ's blog

I am fairly sure the majority at the venue were not 'serious punters'Plain
Report the silverback July 30, 2012 10:59 PM BST
Nice first post biscwits
Report Dan Chipowski July 31, 2012 2:25 AM BST
Gary W is fond of biscuits.

Hmmmm.
Report DartsnBooze August 1, 2012 1:31 PM BST
biscwits4, in all due respect, why did Gary Wiltshire offer his services in the first place?

Any decent sized bets placed would have simply been traded for even bigger profits.
In my eyes it wasn't a service that was provided for punters, it was daylight robbery!

Darts is a social event, you drink when you arrive at the venue. It's not the same as placing bets prior to it.
BTW - 4 pinter jugs in the venue were £11.50 Wink

Nobby, how'd you get on at the darts?

Peace out!
Report nobbybarnesranoverthewrongtrip August 2, 2012 2:21 PM BST
yes a great night mate. taylor came up to the vip area after the match with the trophy for photos which was nice. being sat with the walk on girls was a bit of a distraction from the match though.
Report RichyH August 6, 2012 10:26 PM BST

Jul 30, 2012 -- 7:52AM, biscwits4 wrote:

In all respects what does everyone expect going into a venue where there's a captive audience, sureley it's the sameAs paying 4 quid for a warm pint in a plastic glass or 3.50 for a burger that you no you can get for cheaper and better elsewhere before you go in ? Book making is a business at the end of the day and with 95 percent of favourites winning darts matches and not having 4 machines in every shop generating 1000's a day to cover loss's at market leading prices taking 5ers and 10ers doesnt pay expenses unfortunately especially when you have to pay such a percentage of your takings out. On the walk up to the winter gardens you must pass 4 high street bookmakers so there's an opportunity to get your bet on before you go in.

How much would you have laid on your 180 Rick with Beaton most 180's in running?Just proves you are a Con Man with no clue of Darts and most other Sports for tha matter going by your nonsense you Spout on Tv and Radio.

Report JML August 12, 2012 12:40 PM BST
95% of favourites winning ???
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com