Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
16 Jun 23 11:56
| Topic/replies: 27,389 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Predictable start with England trying to score quickly and Aus. having a few boundary fielders to reduce the fours. Honours even so far. Lyons looking dangerous.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 20 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 787
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 12:17
Blimey - Crawley the only man in the ground (or on telly) who thought he'd nicked it!

Very tidy start, excellent rotation and unsettled the Australian bowlers thus far.

Boland certainly in uncharted territory, as far as his short Test career goes.

Love England's approach.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 12:22
Outside leg.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 12:23
Or not! Keeps the game moving...
By:
bigpoppapump
When: 16 Jun 23 13:39
if you're not all green here you shouldn't be trading Test cricket
By:
ayt
When: 16 Jun 23 14:12
bigpoppapump • June 16, 2023 1:39 PM BST
if you're not all green here you shouldn't be trading Test cricket

u just tell me,how can u all green here,when all outcomes on same pre match prices after 2 hours of this game
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 14:30
Pffft, always very disappointing when Brook departs.

Can't decide how much he's at fault there, after the initial impact...
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 14:31
Should Root be screaming, "Stumppppppps!!!!"?
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 14:33
Should Root be screaming, "Stumppppppps!!!!"?

obviously, it'd be more like, "Stuuuuuuuuuumps!" Tongue Out
By:
Aptdemon
When: 16 Jun 23 14:34
Love those dismissals for the opposition, detest them for us...
By:
The Dragon
When: 16 Jun 23 15:09
gonna be close this series

england without a decent spinner worries me
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 16 Jun 23 17:21
The spinner is the killer for me esp in this heat

Mooen is poor and he's not going to hold up an end

It might be our aggressive batting that wins us this series though
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 16 Jun 23 17:38
400 was definitely a par score on this one so we're behind currently

Root bailing us out a bit

The Aussies will be looking for a lead of 150
By:
maleuk01.
When: 16 Jun 23 18:03
400 + run backers seething.

Must say i am amazed with that declaration. Why not keep going swinging the willow if you must.

Cannot be many declarations on day 1 of a test match
By:
Uncle-Bulgaria
When: 16 Jun 23 18:11
Oh dear, this declaration could backfire catastrophically.
By:
elisjohn
When: 16 Jun 23 18:13
this decleration  even if england win, sorry but its taking the piss out of the great game imo
By:
Theoneandonly
When: 16 Jun 23 18:28
Can't believe it when Root was well in. Lot easier for Root to have hit an extra 30 or 40 then  rather then coming in cold in the second innings. Only thing I can think of is stokes thinking rain. Even still it would have been better to try and get 440 or more quickly tonight.
By:
maleuk01.
When: 16 Jun 23 18:33
Declaration backfired big time.

0 wickets and England could have easily another 30-40 runs or so on the board.

As mentioned Root was seeing it so well and striking it sweetly.

Think Aus quite happy to go in for 4 overs
By:
maleuk01.
When: 16 Jun 23 18:38
Declaring less than 400 on day 1 is a joke.

Especially against Australia.

There is being aggressive and going for it versus shear recklessness.
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 16 Jun 23 18:45
You can't deny he's an entertaining captain I respect him for that albeit he should have gone past 400 because people are betting on this to be fair,, but I guess he's not thinking of that either

He's much more entertaining than the dull fookers we've had recently in Root and Cook who were attritional to the extreme

I did think he'd be like this though hence I really wanted him as captain , add in he's no wimpy type and will back his men you've got a gem in my opinion, fair play to him

We want fun and entertainment let's not moan about it we've become what we always admired in other sides of the past
By:
maleuk01.
When: 16 Jun 23 18:53
I am all up for being aggressive and going for it.

But a Test Match is still 5 days, declaring on day 1 unless the ball is doing all kinds is overdoing it. And you have a batsman over 100 in seeing it like a coconut.

As it was it looked a nice pleasant evening to bat. Aussies probably couldnt believe their luck.
By:
alun2005
When: 16 Jun 23 21:34
An extraordinary opening day to an Ashes series, even by the storied standards of the past. The declaration having put the final touch on what was a remarkable day.

Best thing of all was the fantastic Root-Bairstow partnership coming at what looked a critical moment. Not just for the fast-scoring aggressive nature of the batting that put the Aussies on the back foot, but for this magnificent Yorkshire response to the appalling and unjustified treatment the county has suffered in recent years, not least from sections of the British media.

Root and Bairstow (not for the first time) rose superbly above the ridiculous accusations made against the county by sub-prime people. A response that will gladden the hearts of all that saw it. And wonderful to hear Michael Vaughan's voice commentating on it, after the shabby ordeal he was put through.

Whatever happens for the rest of the series, this day will go down on Ashes History as a great one.
By:
stewarty b
When: 16 Jun 23 23:19
maleuk01.
Date Joined: 16 Jun 05
Add contact | Send message
16 Jun 23 18:38Joined: 16 Jun 05 | Topic/replies: 5,093 | Blogger: maleuk01.'s blog
Declaring less than 400 on day 1 is a joke.

I was going to ask the same question. I'm well aware five wickets can go quickly but can anyone remember when under 400 was declared when 400 has not been scored? No cricket expert here but have the Aussies here on a double. tia.

** It's evens the Aussies score first time batting..
By:
stewarty b
When: 16 Jun 23 23:20
***400 plus.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 23 08:55
A poor declaration evening if they did nick a wicket.

The pitch is dry and will spin and reverse but it is still a batting surface. Why give Aussie a chance of parity. A decent first innings lead would build confidence of the batters and out the Aussies under constant pressure. Really poor from Stokes.

Magnificent performance by England gif knocking Aus off a length particularly Bolanf.

I think Roots innings was masterful and up there in kwality. KO is the most exciting English batsmen J have ever seen but Root is the best.
By:
elisjohn
When: 17 Jun 23 10:51
not up to the rules these days, but why not starting 30 mins earlier today after losing over 10 overs yesterday  .( is there rain etc there this morning )?
By:
elisjohn
When: 17 Jun 23 11:07
oh just seen rain about this morning, !  but were they suppose to start early, or is it catching up tonight on yesterdays overs ?
By:
elisjohn
When: 17 Jun 23 11:38
isha and ebony on tms CryCryCry
By:
sageform
When: 17 Jun 23 11:39
5 minutes late after a rain shower but after an ominous start, Stuart Broad is buzzing. Hattrick ball.
By:
sageform
When: 17 Jun 23 11:49
The Labuschagne dismissal was real mind games. Awful shot and great catch by Bairstow. At least a shower forecast for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so England right to be gambling to get a result.
By:
Des Pond
When: 17 Jun 23 11:52
I like Isha
By:
Fo'B
When: 17 Jun 23 11:55

Jun 17, 2023 -- 11:07AM, elisjohn wrote:

oh just seen rain about this morning, !

By:
Fo'B
When: 17 Jun 23 11:56
I didn't hear anything about an early start no. Only Ben and Baz are worried about bums on seats
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 23 12:49
Stokes got lucky with the weather this morning but he is the best Captain I have seen for England. Mike Brearley had some World class performers at his disposal. Stokes had a bunch of 30-3 and 40-4 merchants
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 23 12:55
Not a bad bowler at times eitherWink
By:
Des Pond
When: 17 Jun 23 13:07
Definitely got a bit of luck with the weather, don't think he could have anticipated it. The game has turned decidedly in England's favour now, whichever way you slice it.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 17 Jun 23 13:25
Still a good pitch but when you get through Smifff and the South African the batting can be brittle. The two at the crease are more than decent but the pressure is on them particularly Head. Khawaja looking ominous though.

I would say though that Moen is a dangerous bowler on a turning pitch. We have only had 4 sessions so far. 3 left handers left are all batsmen.  Moen has taken more wickets than Jim Laker and Tony Lock. More than most off spinners except Graeme Swann.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 17 Jun 23 13:58
WinViz giving draw a 1 in 25 chance...market lay available at 3/1 Crazy
By:
Aptdemon
When: 17 Jun 23 14:37
WinViz giving draw a 1 in 25 chance...market lay available at 3/1

Lumpy doesn't believe (and they're right)
By:
Aptdemon
When: 17 Jun 23 14:47
Urgh! Awful miss, lovely bowling!
Page 1 of 20  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 20 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo