Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
brentford
21 Dec 21 13:14
| Topic/replies: 5,434 | Blogger: brentford's blog
Test series starts on Boxing day...

India without Rohit...SA without Nortje... both quite big misses respectively..

Kohli and Rahane both in need of runs...Markram and Van Der Dussen looking increasingly decent red ball batsmen in an era where they can be hard to come by..

Pre series prices thin on the ground but India favoured after win in Australia and a lead/win in the incomplete England series...

1st Test @ Centurion ...early prices approx.  SA 3.1 Ind 2.3 Draw 4.0

Expect the usual SA mix of bowlers on top on some lively surfaces, batsman on top when the sun comes out and live grass fades...and weather potential throughout...

could be a good 'un covid permitting...

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 17  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 17 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 669
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 21 Dec 21 16:50
Real shame Nortje is missing!

Rabadabadoo, Nortje, Ngidi backed up by McMaharaj, Olivier, Jussie possibly Hendricks and Jansen was quite mouth watering.

Not sure how good the SA batting is in the middle order. That would be the difference between the teams imho. The SA spin option is not great either but Jadeja is out for India leaving the 5 bowler balance in doubt though Axar might step up.

India have to replace Rahane, Will Dravid do it? There are a billion people in India. Iyer is class. Vihari is waiting. India have 4 Test Kwality openers and the injured Rohit. We have NONE!

India rightly heavy favourites but SA improving and they have the ability to take 20 wickets. You cant win Test Matches without taking 20 wickets.

The Ashes maybe gone but there will be cricket worth watching  from Boxing Day and it starts at 8:30 am!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 21 Dec 21 17:06
No Axar?

India will go in with 4 seamers plus Ashwin?

India look far too strong! Toss, grass and weather the only thing that can stop India imho.
By:
brentford
When: 21 Dec 21 17:55
Think SA seamers even minus Nortje can still give them plenty of probs WD..
Not so long since we were having our moments against that top order...only their tail's great escape at Lord's that probably reversed the series score..and the Headingley one session collapse will give plenty of encouragement to the likes of Rabada, Ngidi, Oliver.

De Kock might miss a game or even two subject to birth of his child timings..would be a big miss

India as you say probably 4 seamers and Ashwin @ 7 with Pant @ 6..
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 21 Dec 21 18:18
India play pace well. It’s only against a moving ball that they will struggle. If the grass is too or too green it could be Russian Roulette and a coin toss that decides the game but India have pretty good bowlers too. As I said SA batting looks light. I really like Nortje though. He is a beast! Rabada has always been my man. I will put a clip of him not only yorking Malan but putting him flat on his face.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 21 Dec 21 18:21
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4abwboe3t0

I wS there!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 26 Dec 21 17:17
An excellent days cricket in the high veldt

I would like to see this SA attack on English pitches even Aussie pitches. They look a handful even without Nortje and Olivier but the Indian openers served them a master class on how to bat in a Test Match. Seriously what do the England coaches do?
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 27 Dec 21 00:05
India have surpassed us even on our own wickets Laugh
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 09:47
Some high Kwality fast bowling this morning and now for Bumrah.

8 wickets fallen already on moving day. Some late swing from Bumrah

Proper cricket this and some orthodox technique from the SA batters.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 28 Dec 21 09:56
If I were to categorise it, I thought the batting was pretty lame from India this morning.

Easy to be complacent with a big total for not many, and a full day washed out. They were loose, and punished by good spells from Kagiso and Ngidi.

Great for the match, so I'm very happy. Now want some more carnage, please.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 10:04
True!

This kid Petersen looks excellent. Beautiful check drive off Bumrah through extra cover there. Not even a proper half volley. England batsmen would do well to watch this.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 10:38
Wonderful interview with Ngidi. Came from a Township. His parents were domestic workers. Dad got a job with a primary school and then a house on the grounds. Was allowed to play dads and lads cricket on Saturdays. He excelled and showed something and was given a scholarship to Hilton College. Speaks excellent English. Looks after his parents and bowls like the wind.

Lovely story, lovely man.

I tell you something else. He trains really hard. Quite inspiring. The bike is coming out this afternoon!

I really want to see Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi and Jansen/ Olivier bowl together!

SA have a decent top order. This lad Petersen looks highly promising. Dussie, DeKock. I think they are short of a middle order batsman and a leggie to be challenging to be the best.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 10:46
Just bigging up KP and be plays on, loose shot too!

I think India might win this. Shami on the money with his seam position as usual
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 11:04
Bumrah just rolled an ankle. Hope he is ok. Makes Test Cricket so exciting to watch!
By:
Aptdemon
When: 28 Dec 21 11:11
Looking very tricky for SA now, jagging around. Need to get to a 25/30 overs old ball without losing more else they could be skittled.

Bavuma never inspires confidence (in me).
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 11:30
Sorry to say but agree with you about Bavuma. I would like him to do better. He is ok but SA need a World Class middle order batsman. They are well capable of taking 20 wickets but they need runs and they are short.

India bowling magnificently here. Getting some swing too. I think they might get the ball to reverse later too.

To win here in 3 and a half days assuming bad weather on day 5 would be an incredible result for India. This ground is a fortress even more so than the Gabbatoir. SA have an 83% win rate here I think. They have not lost here in over two decades again I think. India have never won a test series in SA
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 11:42
I like Mark Nicholas. He us an even better writer than he us a commentator. I don’t know why so many people dislike him.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 11:43
Bavuma averages over 70 here!
By:
Aptdemon
When: 28 Dec 21 11:45
I'd take Nicholas over Vaughan every single day.

Liked him all the way back to the Channel 4 days.
By:
LendUsAFiver
When: 28 Dec 21 14:39
15 wickets today and draw about the same as yesterday? Crazy
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 14:42
Bavuma

We malign him before he gets in. He then proceeds to play an exemplary innings against high Kwality fast bowling on the high veldt. He gets to his 50 with a cracking pull then gets the curse of the commentator. They sing his praises and he is out next ball!

That is his problem though turning 50’s into hundreds.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 14:57
Quite excited by this kid Jansen. Looks a genuine all rounder. Certainly looks capable of batting at 7 and maybe 6.

That would give SA the ability to field 4 quirks and a spinner.

A little unlucky there. First up looked outside the line. Good decision by the umpire.

He us also wiry and a bean pole. I shudder to think what he will be like after he gets into a gym
By:
Aptdemon
When: 28 Dec 21 15:00
Yup, lithe and rapid is a great combination for longevity - and he looks to have a decent eye.

Same should apply for Archer and he's got a permanent elbow problem so could play out either way...
By:
Aptdemon
When: 28 Dec 21 15:44
You'd have gotten a handsome old price on KL batting twice today when they walked out this morning.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 15:46
Yup!

India were superb today. This could be a good series to watch.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 28 Dec 21 16:03
Great days cricket!
By:
Aptdemon
When: 29 Dec 21 11:47
Draw a good lay at 3.5, India will declare at tea (if not already skittled).

Forecast isn't cast-iron filth tomorrow, more of a mix. Drainage apparently golden at Centurion, too.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 29 Dec 21 11:51
Reckon 15-20% match doesn't even make tomorrow.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 29 Dec 21 13:46
Yes it’s just a matter of time. India at odds against was the bet last night!

Excellent game. Add Olivier for  Mulder in the next game and it might be interesting although the SA batting does look light in the middle.

Joburg could be SA’s best chance. Centurion was a fortress just like the Gabba so well done India so far.

I am quite excited by this Jansen. He can bat a bit too! Also this Peterson looks a prospect.
By:
ayt
When: 29 Dec 21 14:45
Why draw odds moving in on a boundaryLaugh
By:
LendUsAFiver
When: 29 Dec 21 16:05
Why put a nights watch in and let him bat like it's a T20 game? Bizarre
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 29 Dec 21 17:30
Great day of cricket again!
By:
Cardinal Scott
When: 30 Dec 21 08:41
Temba Bavuma has superb technique even if personal returns have not yet followed.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Dec 21 08:48
Yep he us decent and belongs at this level but unfortunately often seems to come up short!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Dec 21 08:49
I love these South Africans. Tough as teak. But it is a quite toughness, old school, not in your face unlike the Aussies.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Dec 21 08:49
Exemplified be Dean Elgar
By:
Aptdemon
When: 30 Dec 21 10:14
Excellent cricket this. A really good pitch and some great bowling.

If only The Ashes had been this competitive, hoping one of the last two at least has some intrigue for a while.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 30 Dec 21 10:17
I am looking forward to the game at The Wanderers. Fat, hard, bouncy pitch at altitude. Good for batting too! Olivier comes in for Mulder and we have ourselves a ball game.

I think you are right though. This has been a great game on a tough pitch by two competitive sides.
By:
Aptdemon
When: 03 Jan 22 10:00
Already shaping up very nicely again...
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 03 Jan 22 10:21
Yup

Olivier a huge plus for SA. No let up in intensity for the Indian batsmen. Interesting to see if they let Maharaj hold down an end.

This is a very good SA attack and don’t forget Nortje is out! If they bowl SA into a challenging position it will make for a great game.

Vihari has been really unlucky and Iyer has crept up on the rails. I think Iyer is a fabulous player and potential star and Caprain. Interestin* to see how Vihari does and if Pant will bat with a measure of responsibility.

Can’t remember what the pitch dies here but I think the advantage is batting first.
Page 1 of 17  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 17 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com