Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
peckerdunne
25 Aug 21 10:05
| Topic/replies: 39,294 | Blogger: peckerdunne's blog
India opt to bat
Pause Switch to Standard View 3rd Test. England V India. Headingly
Show More
Report Whisperingdeath August 25, 2021 6:08 PM BST
Natalie Imbruglia!

Raise, call and cash my chips!
Report brentford August 25, 2021 6:09 PM BST
yep, tough to argue against that in her prime, WD
Report Whisperingdeath August 25, 2021 6:11 PM BST
Well done Hammed and well done me....not an I told you so in sight!

I think the boy has what it takes to be a Test Cricketer. Being around test players and the coaching staff will only help.
Report VardonVoo. August 25, 2021 6:16 PM BST
Maybe the women only come back when their looks go and their other offers dry up.
We'll be waiting a long time for the lies of Kylie, Natalie Imbruglia and Holly Valance to return, methinx.
Report VardonVoo. August 25, 2021 6:27 PM BST

Aug 25, 2021 -- 11:48AM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

You need to be on aceed to figure out how India can escape this. Bowl tight, wear down the pitch. England bat all day tomorrow and get close to 400. Batting day 3 will be at its best. India need to make 500 maybe 600 and bat for 2 whole days, which, is possible but then hope the pitch does not stay firm and they skittle England for under 250. I don't think it ever happens.

Considering how India could possibly do it makes England's own victory at Headingly in 2019 after a first innings score of 67 seem all the more remarkable.

Report Fo'B August 25, 2021 6:29 PM BST
Yes been trying to convince myself that lightning can strike twice in the same place two years later. Just can't see India storming back with wickets tomorrow after being so poor today
Report Whisperingdeath August 25, 2021 6:40 PM BST
I think it is more about time. Keep England batting all day for less than an additional 250 runs but I am not sure India will be able to bat all day 3 and 4. It will need most of their batsmen to get in properly.

If the ball does nothing as it did for India today then it is the remotest of possibilities but there may well be cloud cover although tbf the England ball swung in the sun. England bowlers are great when there is action with the Dukes. If the pitch firms up they can all look a little military medium even at this level.
Report barstool August 25, 2021 8:12 PM BST
A really enjoyable days cricket. Nothing better than a good test match. Whether it turns out to be an exiting one is doubtful, but 4 or 5 wickets in the Morning will give the Indians some hope. After all, they can't bowl much worse.

Yes, well done Haseeb, a bit of luck on 46, but he deserves some. Hope he can muster another 40 tomorrow.

Sibley's departure seems to have released the shackles off Burns. Much more like it today.
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 6:01 AM BST
Whisperingdeath 25 Aug 21 14:02

Strange game this cricket. England could also be 150-0 at stumps with our dodgy batsmen.

‘Death at the controlsCool!
Report sageform August 26, 2021 12:30 PM BST
Not quite 150/0 but they made 150/1. Very slow going but at least they don't look like rabbits in the headlights.
Report sageform August 26, 2021 12:41 PM BST
Will they get 250?
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 12:43 PM BST
Hameed has secured a trip to Aus this winter and also looks like he has got a ticket for Burns. The LH / RH hand worked well. The boys took plenty of singles, which, I think is really important. I still think Burns has issues but he has grit. I still want to see crawly up at the top in Aus as I think the pitches and fast bowling suit his style and we would be able to counter attack the Aussies.

I really think India missed a trick by leaving out Ashwin.
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 12:46 PM BST
India still believe it or not are in this game. Tomorrow I expect the pitch still to be good enough to bat on. I am not sure India will be good enough to set England 250 but if England were batting on the last day I think 250 might be more than enough to defend. Not sure this game is going into day 5 either. Depends what ball Anderson picks out of the box!
Report barstool August 26, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Hameed never came out of his shell this morning. Perhaps orders to get to lunch. Anyway, as far as the openers are concerned, it is job done. I can see a good afternoon for England with the loss of just two wickets in the morning session.
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 12:53 PM BST
I think it might be a difficult day for everybody except Root and maybe Bstard on their home pitch. Plenty of cloud but too cool for swing and they haven't got a swinging ball in any case!Quite tense but England extending their position and India trying top keep it within reach
Report sageform August 26, 2021 3:00 PM BST
Top 4 batters over 50! Unheard of. A lead of 400 would surely demoralise India.
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 3:02 PM BST
The Indian first innings not withstanding but England look a different team after a solid opening partnership. Not entirely sure about Malan yet but he is certainly an improvement and deserves his second chance.

I remember the yorker he got from Rabadadoo at I think the Oval that left him castled and flat on his face.

The whole batting line up just looks more solid and long atm.

What a difference a day makes......yesterday!
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 3:03 PM BST
India look broken. I expect them to be rolled over in the second innings quite frankly. Their bowling is inept in this match and Kohli is doing nothing to protect the flow of runs.
Report barstool August 26, 2021 3:43 PM BST
England are sailing away in this now and probably winning the next in doing so.

This lead may well be 350 plus at the close.

Bat 'till tea tomorrow and India will be exhausted.
Report johnnythebull August 26, 2021 4:08 PM BST
Plastergate..Bundini Brown,Cassius Clay(as was) vs Our 'Enry
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 4:14 PM BST
Another catastrophic consequence of not playing Ashwin is we do not hear much cackle from Panty Boi and come on Ash.

I never tire of hearing Pant laugh
Report mafeking August 26, 2021 4:25 PM BST
india could have been 2 up but so far have depended heavily on the top 3 for runs. as iffy as england's batting has been india's is not much more reliable. gonna need some contributions from 4, 5 and 6 if they're gonna win this series
Report brentford August 26, 2021 4:41 PM BST
yep, Kohli and Rahane especially in need of runs...Rahane in danger of being dropped I'd have thought..

meanwhile Rooty the run machine just keeps going
Report mafeking August 26, 2021 4:48 PM BST
main difference has been india's 2nd string bowling has kept the pressure on much better than england's change bowlers. beyond anderson and robinson england hadn't offered much before this match anyway
Report peckerdunne August 26, 2021 5:03 PM BST
We will see if Joe has learnt from previous Decs tomorrow morning
Report barstool August 26, 2021 5:17 PM BST
Bairstow and Butler both miss out.

Root needs Ali or Curran to bat with him 'till close.
Report sageform August 26, 2021 5:21 PM BST
All four England fast bowlers took wickets and kept the pressure on but no doubt it was Jimmy and Robinson who made the early breakthrough.
Report jmdc August 26, 2021 5:29 PM BST
Buttler needs another three month holiday, he’s looking jaded!
Report peckerdunne August 26, 2021 5:42 PM BST
Probably the best test batsman in the world currently
Report jmdc August 26, 2021 5:45 PM BST
^ No doubt about that.
Report peckerdunne August 26, 2021 5:47 PM BST
I'm Irish, can't be too compli.entry lol

Jesus Mo
Report sageform August 26, 2021 5:48 PM BST
Here we go. No blame to Root but the other three wickets were cheap. Moeen looks like a tail ender in Test cricket.
Report johnnythebull August 26, 2021 5:49 PM BST
once again Birstow,Buttler and Ali have demonstrated why they should never be within a million miles of any test team which guarantees they will continue to be selected until they draw their pensions!!
Report jmdc August 26, 2021 5:52 PM BST
ODI players.
Report johnnythebull August 26, 2021 5:58 PM BST
overrated even in that format
Report johnnythebull August 26, 2021 5:59 PM BST
Kohli's field placings have been abysmal..must have given up,as a bare minimum,50 odd in free boundaries
Report Whisperingdeath August 26, 2021 6:24 PM BST
Just hope the Indians can put up some sort of fight and entertain us and the crowd
Report cricketnut2 August 26, 2021 7:07 PM BST

Aug 26, 2021 -- 11:49AM, johnnythebull wrote:

once again Birstow,Buttler and Ali have demonstrated why they should never be within a million miles of any test team which guarantees they will continue to be selected until they draw their pensions!!

I agree that butler and moheen are a waste of space in our test team, but Bairstow is ok and can get Test runs, nowever Butler is a waste of spaceamd Mohhen can at least bowl abit of spin, but only against the lesser teams.

Report johnnythebull August 26, 2021 8:23 PM BST
i've got nowt against these guys but what KEEPS happening is,esp at test level,they can't stop getting out once they're in..mega galling but you just know it's on the cards with the (very) odd exception
Report sageform August 27, 2021 11:08 AM BST
At least we have fast bowlers who can bat a bit. This match is so different to the other two that I am waiting for the next one to decide if our top three batsmen have any future. Malan has enough experience to stay but not sure about the others yet. Bairstow and Buttler at least have the excuse of too much one day cricket.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 11:18 AM BST
I fear for our " Fast Bowlers " down under with a Kookaburra. Even Anderson can look ordinary and if we don't have a couple of express merchants to disrupt their batsmen at home we could be in trouble. Is Archer out for the winter? We will need both Olly Stone and Wood at times I think. Adil Rashid would be a left field pick for the tour for me too. Maybe one or two Test's only. I would ask him if he fancied it! We are looking pretty lean down under after Anderson and Robinson who I think may do well
Report sageform August 27, 2021 11:26 AM BST
If Stokes ever gets back to full effectiveness with both bat and ball it would make a big difference and Woakes is still a useful bowler. The issue is with fitness. How do other countries manage to keep them fit for a whole series?
Right, come on England.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 11:28 AM BST
I would imagine Stokes fancies a beef with Aussie but I also thought he would fancy some argy bhajee with India at the top of their game so who knows. He is the X factor that gels the team. Without him we look like a pub team at times.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 11:40 AM BST
Punting on India getting over 300. If they survive this session I think they could bat all day quite easily and score some runs. Quite possibly bat into day 4 and then we shall see if there is any turn in the pitch. The draw has absolutely no chance imo but The hail mary play on india is worth a shilling if you are already ahead in this game. England obviously win though.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 11:51 AM BST
India price falling here. Whilst Anderson is still the maestro if they survive him runs will be on offer. It is definitely worth a speculative punt here if you can afford the loss on two early wickets. If you hold back and there is an early wicket then that would also be a good time to jump on but these two batsmen are pretty decent. They have one hour to survive then the game is theirs for at least two sessions.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 11:54 AM BST
and overs boys.

I think over 300 runs is a gimme!

It is quite cold and the ball should not be swinging. That is how good Anderson is.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 12:02 PM BST
India 44 down to 26 already and will be into the teens if these two make lunch.

But Anderson is on, that's why we call it gambling not risk management!

I have loaded up on over 300. I do not want to see Pujara today! If he goes early then the game is afoot and a collapso is more than possible.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 12:08 PM BST
Robinson looking more than a handful and more dangerous than Anderson right now while the seam is hard.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 12:18 PM BST
Wow one second to go before the review was lost.

He thought he was plumb and certainly looked a gonner!

'Death at the Controls!

Follow me boys over the top. Get on overs I say! Robinson looks like getting Rahul nearly every ball! Sometime though a bowler does everything but take a wicket. He really has got the ball seaming. Very difficult to play from that height.

Anderson is off!
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 1:02 PM BST
Excellent catch on the stroke of lunch to push in my bonfire. KL did the hard work and this afternoon was his. He looked dodgy all session but once he gets his eye in he scores big and India needed to put it back on England. Pujara should be occupy a little longer this innings will slow things down too much and allow England to keep the field in close.
Report barstool August 27, 2021 3:18 PM BST
Saqib Mahmood must be wondering how on earth Sam Curran got picked ahead of him in this game.

A fourth seamer should not be picked ahead of your fastest bowler.
Report peckerdunne August 27, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Adil Rashid would get tonked in Oz,carted.
Report peckerdunne August 27, 2021 3:37 PM BST
purely bowling Curran not good enough for me even though he has got the odd bit wicket
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 4:06 PM BST
This cannot be a draw shirley?

150 behind at stumps with two days left?

India will still have to bat all day tomorrow. A result is more likely than a draw shirley ( I mean an India win, which, is almost impossible ).

India will have to bat into day 5 to get close to a draw.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 4:12 PM BST
There's your answer I guess. Very unlucky for Rohit! A pity because the exchange was going crazy and the prices were so wrong. England win this game!
Report barstool August 27, 2021 4:47 PM BST
Anderson not bowling well this afternoon. Let several drift down the leg side and they have all been dispatched to the ropes.

Maybe starting to feel the strain a bit.
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 4:53 PM BST
He might be injured. Overton was quite impressive as well as Robinson. 80 mph is quick on a pitch like this or rather quick enough! Different down under.

Pujara stinking at 63....well I never!
Report Whisperingdeath August 27, 2021 4:53 PM BST
striking!

Extra ordinary!
Report barstool August 27, 2021 5:08 PM BST
Next Test Thursday 2/9. Anderson will struggle to make it if he has an injury.
Report peckerdunne August 27, 2021 5:35 PM BST
Dre 50 off 14
Report peckerdunne August 27, 2021 5:37 PM BST
Was carrying one last test, probably took the needle
Report barstool August 27, 2021 6:18 PM BST
India probably more happy to come off than England. He should have made face another four overs of spin. Nothing to lose.
Report johnnythebull August 27, 2021 6:56 PM BST
will England be able to now save this test,innit?
Report The Spinmaster August 27, 2021 8:25 PM BST
What price will India drift to? Anyone?
Report The Spinmaster August 27, 2021 8:26 PM BST
Opps I meant England price.
Report roache August 27, 2021 10:34 PM BST
India can still win this by batting all day tomorrow and setting England a target,we have seen far too many capitulations from Englands batting just like the appalling effort in the last test match which was shameful,even in this test match which has bucked the trend in that we posted a good total we still lost half the batting line up the last 5 wickets for 49 runs with some very soft dismissals,God help us if they get Root out cheaply in the 2nd innings, as for the Ashes i fear another pasting as there is no way we are winning that series with our batting line up.
Report brentford August 27, 2021 10:52 PM BST
It's interesting actually Roache how the relative capitulation of the 1st inns got rather glossed over...with a decent forecast and so no time issues  they should have been looking at 500+ from the position they were in .... lost 8 wickets in a day on a relative road...
Report mafeking August 28, 2021 9:15 AM BST
realistically india still cannot afford to lose a single session left in the match. they've gotta be batting an hour at least into day 5 before england will start worrying and that's a long way off with the ball available straight away and 4 wickets away from the tail

neither curran or moeen should be in this england side. neither has shown much with bat or ball in red ball cricket for a long time. effectively playing with 3 bowlers
Report mafeking August 28, 2021 9:15 AM BST
new ball
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:23 AM BST
Whisperingdeath25 Aug 21 14:02

Strange game this cricket. England could also be 150-0 at stumps with our dodgy batsmen.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:25 AM BST
Whisperingdeath Aug 21 16:48

You need to be on aceed to figure out how India can escape this. Bowl tight, wear down the pitch. England bat all day tomorrow and get close to 400. Batting day 3 will be at its best. India need to make 500 maybe 600 and bat for 2 whole days, which, is possible but then hope the pitch does not stay firm and they skittle England for under 250. I don't think it ever happens.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:29 AM BST
Whisperingdeath Aug 21 17:40

I think it is more about time. Keep England batting all day for less than an additional 250 runs but I am not sure India will be able to bat all day 3 and 4. It will need most of their batsmen to get in properly.

If the ball does nothing as it did for India today then it is the remotest of possibilities but there may well be cloud cover although tbf the England ball swung in the sun. England bowlers are great when there is action with the Dukes. If the pitch firms up they can all look a little military medium even at this level.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:31 AM BST

Whisperingdeath 26 Aug 21 14:03

India look broken. I expect them to be rolled over in the second innings quite frankly. Their bowling is inept in this match and Kohli is doing nothing to protect the flow of runs.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:33 AM BST
Whisperingdeath 26 Aug 21 11:46

India still believe it or not are in this game. Tomorrow I expect the pitch still to be good enough to bat on. I am not sure India will be good enough to set England 250 but if England were batting on the last day I think 250 might be more than enough to defend. Not sure this game is going into day 5 either. Depends what ball Anderson picks out of the box!

More than it ever was!

Anderson will not be happy that TMS quoted his average in the first innings of matches and that it fell to something like 65 in the second innings! He is facing his Kohli moment! He needs to get wickets this innings!
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 10:42 AM BST
Where are my people when I need them?

I was looking at a 66% loss and now am green. I always fly the dream, he who dares wins Rodney. The loss would have been less than the win from the last match so I can let it ride.

Logic tell me to cash out and walk away with my stake in tact but I am an inveterate gambler. A sensible man would say cash out for now, retain the money and go back in later, that is what I really am considering now. Unfortunately I believe the dream. If Kohli and Pudgy see off the new ball or even 4 or 5 overs prices will tumble. It is sunny in fooking Yorkshire! The ball can swing in the sun and is more likely to swing than yesterday because it is warmer though I think it still looks a bit chilly right now.

Should I stay or should I go? A wicket and I lose all my money!
Report Esox August 28, 2021 10:58 AM BST
A new ball and a nights sleep, wickets surely.
Report sageform August 28, 2021 11:18 AM BST
One gone. Two more before lunch and it should be a routine win from there.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:19 AM BST
India price must crash if there are no wickets. I thought I made a mistake by laying the draw but I think to wipe away my India green would be a bigger mistake. I know it is early but if England do not threaten the stumps in the next hour and bingo! They threaten the stumps!

Now I think it is a shame that my India lay did not get taken because I would be straight back in. Anderson has bowled badly this morning. If and ok a big if Rahane survives his first hour then England are on the back foot again and will more defensive after lunch. Then again England need 3 wickets to win this match.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:21 AM BST
Batting still looks relatively easy. That was a mistake clearly in judgement. I think I am going to stay on it! Pant v Moen!
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Rahane looked ok in the first innings here. Overton should be bowling instead of Anderson right now.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:24 AM BST
Two more after lunch sage and it should be a routine win for England.

They are still 137 behind. For India it is a matter of batting time and let the scoreboard look after itself. Bat all day and they will score another 300. If England bat today they win the game. If they bat tomorrow there might be wear and tear of the pitch to factor in.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:25 AM BST
First decent ball from Anderson this morning.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:35 AM BST
I love this game Stan!
Report Aptdemon August 28, 2021 11:50 AM BST
Brilliant spell of cricket since the wicket - someone layed a bucketload of every snippet up to 1000.0 on India on Kohli's non-wicket Scared
Report Aptdemon August 28, 2021 11:51 AM BST
...and they'll instantly be breathing a tad easier!
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:52 AM BST
Oh FFS!

I was on a winner for a minute!
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:53 AM BST
Wasn't me aptWink

First hour all so important and England have won it. Curse of commentator from Warner about Kohli going on the make big scores once he gets his 50...Angry
Report sageform August 28, 2021 11:54 AM BST
Two down, one more before lunch please.
Report Whisperingdeath August 28, 2021 11:57 AM BST
Its all over now! 4 minutes left in the hour.
Report sageform August 28, 2021 11:57 AM BST
Oh Jimmy Jimmy! Surely that is enough to ensure a win.
Report jumper3 August 28, 2021 12:06 PM BST
4th day punters probably now won't even get a full day's play. Doubtful if they'll get to Tea at this rate.
Report brentford August 28, 2021 12:06 PM BST
be lucky to get to lunch...
Report sageform August 28, 2021 12:11 PM BST
Ignore saving runs and put everyone catching close to the wicket.
Report Aptdemon August 28, 2021 12:13 PM BST
Can't wait to see Robinson in Australia.

He could easily be Glenn McGrath's child. Early days but easily finds his groove (especially for someone so new to Tests). He's a metronome.
Report sageform August 28, 2021 12:14 PM BST
We have a new fast bowler at last. Look out Broad. Not out but still excellent bowling.
Report brentford August 28, 2021 12:14 PM BST
been a real find apt, looks like he's been playing this level for years...
Report brentford August 28, 2021 12:19 PM BST
Eng happy not to be chasing 170+ looking at that...though no Ashwin of course
Report johnnythebull August 28, 2021 12:33 PM BST
Kohli is massively overrated..nowt more than flat track bully on home soil

England have bowled really well but India have been abject
Report johnnythebull August 28, 2021 12:45 PM BST
superb bowling but that was some sort of collapse
Report sageform August 28, 2021 12:51 PM BST
Well I didn't expect it to be that easy after yesterday. It seemed to be all about the ball as well as some good bowling.
Day 1 First new ball took 10 wickets for 78.
England first ball 2 wickets. Second ball 8.
India second innings. First ball 2 wickets for 215. Second ball 8 wickets for 63.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com