Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Angoose
10 Aug 21 10:17
| Topic/replies: 24,312 | Blogger: Angoose's blog
Worcestershire all-rounder Moeen Ali has been added to the England squad for the second Test against India.

Moeen last played Test cricket in February in the second match of the series against India at Chennai.

That is the only Test the 34-year-old has played in the last two years.

Fellow all-rounders Ben Stokes and Chris Woakes are currently unavailable for England, who were outplayed for large periods as they drew last week's series opener at Trent Bridge.

More to follow.
Pause Switch to Standard View Moeen Ali Added To Squad For Second...
Show More
Report Angoose August 10, 2021 11:47 AM BST
England squad: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Dom Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Zak Crawley, Sam Curran, Haseeb Hameed, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Dom Sibley, Mark Wood.
Report Whisperingdeath August 10, 2021 2:02 PM BST
it is a bit of a mess. Two spinners already in the squad so they pick a third who maybe should have been in the squad already. The look like they may play a spinner on the basis of his batting ability. the sla should be the call because he will turn the ball away from India's right hand batsmen but he probably won't play because our batting is so weak.

I don't care what stupid reason they give for playing Moen over our number one spinner I will just be happy he is on the Test stage where he belongs!

A batsman who cannot play an off drive or square cut should not be in the Test team, determined and gutsy as he is
Report brentford August 10, 2021 4:59 PM BST
Don't understand why he wasn't in the original squad considering the struggles of balancing the side and the top 6 struggles but going to be on a hiding to nothing with his preparation in the 100 like a few others recently.
Report jmdc August 10, 2021 5:14 PM BST
Who says Leach is our number one spinner, a man who can’t bat and never plays!
Report brentford August 10, 2021 5:34 PM BST
never plays at home, once he'd knocked off the rust in SL (created by a summer of bubbling and not playing for Eng) thought he was very decent in India..he's certainly a lot more consistent than Moeen (who obviously brings other things) and Bess struggled badly in the winter so not sure who you'd put ahead of him currently.
Report Angoose August 11, 2021 11:18 AM BST
Dom Bess has left England's squad for the second Test against India on Thursday, with seamer Saqib Mahmood called up as cover for Stuart Broad.

Broad is a doubt for the match after sitting out Tuesday's net session at Lord's with discomfort in his calf.
Report Whisperingdeath August 11, 2021 12:47 PM BST
Bess didn't have a great tour even though he took wickets. Moen struggles with the fact that Root and England don't fancy him. He really is such a talented cricketer he has been wasted by England. Feel sorry for Leach he did a decent job. He is not a World beater but the best we have. I'd have no issue playing Moen at 6 and three fit seamers with Leach at 11. Stokes is a big miss at 5.

The grass at Nottingham was too long but it worked as the weather truncated the match. Lords is set fair so I hope it offers a balance to bat and ball. It would also be good to see Ashwin and Jadeja in the side. India ought to bring Ishant back for Lords as he offers something different. Shami brilliant as he is a Mike Hendrick / Andy Caddick type of bowler. Looks great but doesn't often bowl a side out. There is no point in constantly beating the edge but not finding it.

England must do something about their batting. As a left field I might retain Crawley because I want him in Australia and get Hameed to open with him and Malan at 3. This is unfair and makes little sense but this Indian attack is better on these pitches than Australia and with the ball moving there less in the winter I feel Crawley could be very effective, Malan too. The other two openers have fought hard and shown the toughness required to play at this level but I feel neither are good enough atm, sorry but tough decisions need to be made.
Report mafeking August 11, 2021 1:05 PM BST
jack leach should announce his international retirement today. been treated abominably by england. come back to somerset where he's appreciated
Report Angoose August 11, 2021 1:07 PM BST
And now Jimmy Jimmy is an injury doubt Cry

England could be without both James Anderson and Stuart Broad for the second Test against India at Lord's, which starts on Thursday.

Anderson, 39, has a quad muscle niggle, while Broad, 35, is struggling with a calf problem - England will have further information on both injuries later on Wednesday.
Report Angoose August 11, 2021 4:42 PM BST
Bowler Stuart Broad will miss the remainder of England's Test series against India because of a calf tear.

Broad, 35, was initially ruled out of the second Test, which starts on Thursday, but a scan on Wednesday has revealed a tear to his right calf.

He is England's second-highest Test wicket-taker and could have played his 150th Test at Lord's.
Report Whisperingdeath August 11, 2021 5:08 PM BST
On the news Broad would be out India moved out from 2.32 to 2.40

The fans or gamblers at least know more than the selectors! Mahmood is dangerous at least while the ball is new.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com