Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
14 Jul 21 09:36
| Topic/replies: 105,321 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Isn't this effectively T20 with 20 less balls plus some daft time-out addition?

I can see how it might push the profile of women's cricket a little bit, but beyond that?
Show More
Report Wallflower July 14, 2021 6:16 PM BST
Of course I'll watch - to gamble/trade.

But without doubt, utter nonsense - sounds like a "consultancy" or "committee" type of idea.
Report The Dragon July 14, 2021 8:13 PM BST
well ive bought tickets for 3 matches two at OT and one at the OVAL lets hope its a great success
Report differentdrum July 16, 2021 12:17 PM BST
The hope I would have is that it encourages more cricket back on to terrestrial tv. Channel 4 got the India/England series and since then BBC have taken up the odd one day game.
Report peckerdunne July 16, 2021 2:51 PM BST
just another load of pish
Report barstool July 16, 2021 5:15 PM BST
T20 and county cricket is enough for me, over egging the cake wont make it any better.
Report mafeking July 16, 2021 6:48 PM BST
basically leaving the non test grounds with no proper cricket for 6 weeks at the height of summer. the 50 over comp with teams full of kids and those not picked for the 100 is hardly worth bothering with
Report Hamlin July 20, 2021 4:33 PM BST
I wonder how all the data analysts are going to have to adjust their stats for the 100, 10 ball overs are going to skew bowling averages no? Well economy rates at least.
Report jmdc July 21, 2021 8:53 AM BST
Is the Hundred competition even classified as first-class cricket?
Report differentdrum July 21, 2021 2:58 PM BST
It doesn't seem as if bookmakers can be bothered to take it seriously.

Hard to find any odds at all for tonight's match, and only about three bookmakers priced up the women's outright. That in a world where bookmakers are supposed to price up anything.
Report differentdrum July 21, 2021 6:13 PM BST
Already the worst intro you could imagine. Who is it being aimed at?
Report andyyy. July 21, 2021 6:20 PM BST
Bookies will shy away from pricing this seriously or competitively for a while hence not too many offering comprehensive markets.  They will price with poor value overounds , problem is that just multiplying out a T20 or one day market to calculate an automated algorithm to trade the game is unreliable.  Bookmakers rely on automated in-play trading and the pricing model does not exist yet for this format.  all will be scraping and followin g the exchange .   my advice is take the value prices where you can .  Basically this is basically T20 at its launch, a bookmakers nightmare.   for those of you not restricted everywhere happy hunting.
Report wondersobright July 21, 2021 6:43 PM BST
the only word to describe this is KHAZI
Report jmdc July 21, 2021 6:44 PM BST
What are the fielding rules, no-one has told us?
Report cool_hand_luke July 21, 2021 6:52 PM BST
only watched the 5 mins that sky news pushed on us, looks utter KHAZI
Report Hamlin July 21, 2021 7:12 PM BST

Jul 21, 2021 -- 12:44PM, jmdc wrote:

What are the fielding rules, no-one has told us?

Its an easy google search and pretty obvious. Do you want someone to come round and show you how to use the search engine?

Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 7:32 PM BST
Go Hamlin!
Report Charlie July 21, 2021 7:34 PM BST
What do those green and purple bars at the bottom of the screen mean?
Report Charlie July 21, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Whoever designed the screen layouts and colours needs sacking.
Report Angoose July 21, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Any tv show that features Vic Hope is on to a winner Love
Report differentdrum July 21, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Be amazed if those graphics remain. Not too sure Radio 1 and cricket is a good match.

Think 135 might be 10-15 short unless Ecclestone takes a few wickets. They only tried to clear the boundary at the end and the running between the wickets even without Lee was terrible.
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 7:50 PM BST
Doesn't look like a big total to me. They didn't make best use of 1st 25 balls with fielding restrictions so Oval need to have a go if they are going to win this. Good odds here 3.55 but seeing as I don't know the strength of the batting I'm not only out but was never in!

Easy to knock this but they are giving it a go and good luck to them. The more people that play sport the better the World will be and a real bonus if anyone can be bothered to watch.
Report cricketnut2 July 21, 2021 7:51 PM BST

Jul 21, 2021 -- 1:45PM, Charlie wrote:

Whoever designed the screen layouts and colours needs sacking.

Its ruddy awful screen layouts are dreadful and they either play t20 or this and this looks total rubbish, as it means nothing to anybody.

Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 7:52 PM BST
Back to the misogyny,

The dancer in the skirt is HOT!
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 7:53 PM BST
Absolutely agree they could have done a rebrand of the T20 format with some rule changes to shake it up and be controversial
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Hello someone knows the rules and has a strategy!
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 8:05 PM BST
Who is Mollie King?
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 8:06 PM BST
Ok Luke son of Vader, Punching!
Report Hamlin July 21, 2021 8:20 PM BST
I mean, this is aimed at the younger audience who will have absolutely connected with the graphics and format. So complain all you like no-one really cares about your opinion, don't like it don't watch. Its a hit.
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 8:25 PM BST
Absolutely.
Report black shuck July 21, 2021 8:35 PM BST
Wow..why have they knackered a winning formula in 20 20 and I can't understand anything on the useless screen scoreboard...some one needs a serious backside Rogering
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 8:45 PM BST
Its a power thang!

Old Empire types still think they are in charge.

T20 works well everywhere in the World. Plenty of young people attend. They could have used all the money they are putting into the 100 to gizz up our own T20 offering but they don't seem to want to understand that the Indians have the money and there is power in the money and money in the power, minute after minute, hour after hour!
Report inner city sumo July 21, 2021 8:46 PM BST
On screen data is good, it's got all the info you need.
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 8:56 PM BST
This is ashley producing an exciting finish. Imagine if you had a kicker on Oval at 15
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 9:04 PM BST
13.5 / 1.08
Report sparkygayle July 21, 2021 9:04 PM BST
Lots of unanswered questions. 1) Why do the umps have to hold up their shopping list after every over ??
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 July 21, 2021 9:12 PM BST
Different names
New kits
New graphics

Still **** women playing **** cricket
Report Whisperingdeath July 21, 2021 9:15 PM BST
It was a great success and good to see so many youngsters there and women! fantastic.

A T20 match marketed in the same way would have done the trick also. At the end of the day it is a game of bat and ball.
Report cricketnut2 July 21, 2021 9:15 PM BST
its all a gimmick, here's what's likely to happen, spectators will not go to both t20 and 100 ball cricket, unless it is cheap to watch both. Parents with 2 kids will not be able to afford to take them to both. Great to go this evening, as its  been a baking hot day, but go to a game on a cool evening, and they'll either go to the 100 or the T20 but not both. White card for the end of the over, show you what I mean for my 1st 4 words of this post.
Report differentdrum July 21, 2021 9:20 PM BST
Cricket should be for all, not just a younger audience.

Worrying result for Manchester. Had a winning position, but instead of rubbing it in Cross chose to use three bowlers who were just not up to it. On that evidence Hartley should stick to commentating. The three dropped catches were the nails in the coffin.
Report wondersobright July 21, 2021 9:30 PM BST

Jul 21, 2021 -- 3:12PM, DIFERENT GRAVY 12 wrote:

Different namesNew kitsNew graphicsStill **** women playing **** cricket

got it in 1

Report cricketnut2 July 21, 2021 10:16 PM BST
THe blokes play tomorrow, bigger scores, same gimmicks, same garbage, whatever you want to say about it you can, but its still 20/20, but 5 balls instead of 6 and thats it.
Report brentford July 21, 2021 10:39 PM BST
Pros -

more free to air coverage

an excuse to actually explain the game at a very basic level to new viewers

an opportunity to get more top players competing on English/Welsh soil

allying entertainment to the game and maybe engage another new audience..

Cons -

nobody and I surely mean nobody thought 'what we really need is another new format especially one that is very close to an existing proven one'

Established cricket fans sighing eternally at the shoite graphics and cringe inducing coverage even when trying not to
Report brentford July 21, 2021 10:42 PM BST
* oh and further complications to an already unfathomable domestic season for those that aren't religious followers of it (quite important that one, having tried to explain to a few people as to how this fits in)
Report Angoose July 22, 2021 11:50 AM BST
As opening nights go, The Hundred's was surely as good as organisers could have hoped for.

A modern-day record-breaking crowd and a thrilling win for Oval Invincibles over Manchester Originals only told half the story.

As the match reached its thrilling climax, a noise alien to English cricket stadiums went around a ground.

Not 80s classics sung by well-oiled fans or roaring chants in support of the home team.

Instead, an excitable, rhythmic clap.

A young crowd was fixated not on the half-time music acts or fireworks, but on the sport unfolding in front of their eyes.

This was cricket, just not as we've known it.

The debate ever since The Hundred - cricket's newest format of 100 balls per innings - was announced three years ago has been some of the most intense cricket has seen.

The neon green and pink fireworks, blasted from roof of The Oval's historic pavilion as the players first emerged on to the field was almost a metaphor for the disharmony that has divided a sport.

Issues raised by critics of the tournament do not disappear after one game.

But, for a format billed as an opportunity to engage a new audience, this was an encouraging start.

The crowd was undoubtedly younger and more diverse than those seen at men's internationals, or in the current Twenty20 Blast.

Groups of young girls wandered into the famous old ground. Families took their seats with some children too small to hold a cricket ball, never mind swing a bat.

Instead of the bars, it was caterers selling pizza and ice cream that had the longest queues.

Spectators 'oooh-ed' and 'ahhh-ed' at a six or a four and cheered Manchester Originals bowler Kate Cross to the crease for a hat-trick ball, but there was a different feeling.

There is room in cricket for both - no-one at Trent Bridge for Pakistan's raucous win over England last Friday would have it otherwise - but this atmosphere was more like a chilled rooftop bar than boozy stag-do.

Cries of Sweet Caroline, a staple of cricket grounds in recent years, were replaced by the laid-back mixes of the resident DJ situated in the stand.

That same stage housed both the pre-match toss and a performance from singer Becky Hill, a recent chart-topper, during the break between innings.

Other new inclusions were white cards held-up by umpires to signal the end of an bowler's set of five balls, an LED tunnel through which players entered the field and the flames that erupted from the boundary edge after a four, six or wicket.

In total around 7,400 people attended the game, a number believed to be a record for a women's professional, domestic cricket match anywhere in the world.

A large number of those were given away free - but when the object is expanding in the game, does that really matter?

Some purists may have been put off - others may not have watched at all - but there were moments for them too.

A graceful four over extra cover by Manchester's Harmanpreet Kaur would have impressed anyone. She showed the touch and skill of Wimbledon's latest champion Ashleigh Barty, another who knows a thing or two about cricket.

The fast hands of Originals wicketkeeper Ellie Threlkeld to dismiss Marizanne Kapp were reminiscent of former England keeper Sarah Taylor.

But the best was yet to come.

As Oval Invincibles fought their way back into a contest the Originals looked set to win, the tension grew.

Cricket became the main event.

When Mady Villiers hit her England team-mate Sophie Ecclestone, the number one T20 bowler in the world, for six with 10 balls to go the crowd leapt to its feet.

Moments later Invincibles captain Dane van Niekerk hit the winning runs with just two balls left. The Hundred's biggest sceptics would have been stirred by the sight of spectators young and old dancing in the stands.

"We couldn't have asked for anything better to create a real buzz around the tournament," said England captain Heather Knight, part of the BBC commentary team.

"It was electric," a worn-out Van Niekerk added.

"The crowd was incredible. I don't think I have ever played a domestic game - bar the semi and final of [Australian T20 competition] the Big Bash - in an atmosphere like this."

Originals skipper Cross may have been beaten but she was breaking into a smile when she spoke after the game.

"It's the loudest crowd I've ever played in front of, including international cricket," she said.

The Oval is set to be close to capacity on Thursday when the same two teams open the men's competition.

The next question - can the men ride the wave the women have provided?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57923883
Report Whisperingdeath July 22, 2021 12:34 PM BST
Tbf it was good to see a different audience. I ashley might have gone if I was in the vicinity not for the cricket but it looked like a fun event.

I am not going to argue the toss but as I said earlier the T20 could have been jizzed and given terrestrial coverage too.

I am a snob and love Test Cricket but I am not against others having fun.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 22, 2021 6:28 PM BST
Back in days of test cricket on tv
this would have bigger audience.

Should be good game tonite

High scores at oval still?
Report Whisperingdeath July 22, 2021 7:22 PM BST
Pretty disappointing from Oval top order. I expected better and more pyrotechnics nevertheless am on over 140, 150 and 160.

Billings has to be my man.
Report Whisperingdeath July 22, 2021 7:24 PM BST
Wheels falling off my waggon!
Report jumper3 July 22, 2021 7:33 PM BST
It's called teams of professional franchises. Who are the owners then? That's not been made clear.
Report sageform July 22, 2021 8:02 PM BST
Equivalent to 174 in a 20:20 match so very close imo.
Report sageform July 22, 2021 8:04 PM BST
Good point about who owns the franchises and how the other counties are compensated for having no matches for a month.
Report peckerdunne July 22, 2021 8:11 PM BST
2nd rate T20 for mums who's daughter has short hair or lads on the beverages
Report peckerdunne July 22, 2021 8:35 PM BST
It's pretty souless  but if the kids love it great
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 22, 2021 8:43 PM BST
Hard to support a team in its first game.

Too much sh1te on my TV screen, distracting
from cricket.

Unlucky with runs bet... Lots
of shots went straight to fielders.
Report sageform July 22, 2021 9:06 PM BST
They still do the same daft things as in every other limited over game. Swiping at wide balls and getting a leg bye when you should be standing and watching it give you a free run.
Report differentdrum July 23, 2021 9:24 AM BST
Do you really need about 10 commentators to sell it? Talking to any old bod should not interrupt the actual cricket. At the moment there are far too many interruptions. I haven't got a ruler out, but those graphics must take up about 15% of the screen, and because it is a ball rather than an over concept they can never put up the run rate per over required which is obviously quite useful. Can't believe they won't tweak it, if it is only the colours.

BBC supposedly championing women's cricket but most women's games relegated to the i-player.

Both Manchester teams look pretty weak on the evidence of the opening matches. Presumably, you are going to have to win at least 5/8 to be pushing for qualification.
Report barstool July 23, 2021 11:43 AM BST
Watched part of the match last night, tv picture ruined it for me with the graphics. I wont bother watching another. Turning a great game into a gimmick. I don't mind watching the T20 Blast but this is just overkill of the sport. Greed in fact.

No substitute for a good test match for me, very much fear I am part of a dying breed though.Sad
Report sageform July 23, 2021 12:01 PM BST
I must confess that I now prefer 50 over matches over the others. They demand most of the disciplines of a test match but prevent bowlers using wide balls and time wasting tactics to influence the result. Also batsmen can't play for a draw. A well matched test is still great to watch but they are the exception.
Report Angoose July 23, 2021 12:12 PM BST
"Cricket does not stand still. A lot of people talk about tradition, and say we cannot change this or that. It is rubbish. If we sit and do nothing, we will get left behind. We have created something that is different. When we launched T20, we missed a trick. We should have patented it and, if the rest of the world wanted it, said: ‘Cough up.’ We gave them T20, and a lot of countries did it better than us.

Not many at the ECB believed in T20. They thought it was a gimmick, so we did not get behind it. Not this time. We do not want to miss an opportunity with The Hundred. If we do it properly, we will have something unique, and worth a lot of money. Yes, we have had a rough ride, and some of that was of our own making. But, behind the scenes, the guys have been determined to develop something good for cricket."

Colin Graves, ECB board chairman
Report barstool July 23, 2021 12:22 PM BST
"worth a lot of money"

There you have it in a nutshell.
Report Angoose July 23, 2021 12:24 PM BST
Commercial reality I'm afraid.
Report Whisperingdeath July 23, 2021 2:23 PM BST
They have reinvented the game of bat and ball.......or just repackaged it to get more money out of us. Good luck with that.

I Ashley like some of what they have done and involving young people. That is great. After all that it is still the same game..... bat and ball
Report sageform July 23, 2021 3:20 PM BST
So much is about TV and sponsorship. I heard this morning that the loss of spectators would only cost the IOC about 5% of their revenue. When you think of the number of tickets and the price of them, that is amazing. The loss of one main sponsor would cost about the same. Of course the residents of Tokyo will be missing out on billions from all of the spectators and tourists but why would the IOC care about that?
Report jackkat July 23, 2021 9:12 PM BST
Going to be a long 100 season if KP is on all season f hell he's a bore
Report peckerdunne July 24, 2021 1:37 PM BST
At leasr like Boris they have a good meaningless 3 word catchphrase for the gashers cricket.

It's high quality.
Report Charlie July 24, 2021 3:31 PM BST
I'm generally in favour of new formats of cricket as they may allow you an opportunity for good bets before the bots work it out; examples would be women's cricket a few years ago and the 10/10 competition.

This one is just a gimicky 20/20. I could forgive that but I can't forgive the sh!ty screen layout which detracts from not adds to watching. All formats of cricket all over the world realise what's necessary to put on the screen apart from this.
Report Hamlin July 24, 2021 7:12 PM BST
The other formats of cricket will follow suit eventually as The Hundred works and is attracting the new audience. The older folks will just have to suck it up and complain about these new fangled changes.
Report peckerdunne July 24, 2021 8:51 PM BST
T20 going to have to adjust a little
Report Charlie July 24, 2021 8:55 PM BST

Jul 24, 2021 -- 1:12PM, Hamlin wrote:

The other formats of cricket will follow suit eventually as The Hundred works and is attracting the new audience. The older folks will just have to suck it up and complain about these new fangled changes.

The other formats will not follow suit. The 100 is working in the sense in that it's on terrestial tv but it is no more successful than if it was 20/20; if there is a new audience it isn't because it is the 100.

Older folks and younger folks aren't in the slightest interested of the nuances of this format, it's 20/20 with minor changes which nobody cares about. The rest of the world will not be interested.

Report Latalomne July 25, 2021 11:15 AM BST
Jesus, how small are these boundaries?!?
Report 1830 July 25, 2021 2:07 PM BST
Just put bbc2 on ,WTF is this shyyte.
PC WOKE BOLLOX.
Report Whisperingdeath July 25, 2021 2:57 PM BST
Thunder to the East but brighter to the West
Report sageform July 25, 2021 3:39 PM BST
either watch the rain fall or watch women's cricket or neither. Your choice. The one rule of the hundred that I have not figured out is when do the bowlers change ends? Very hard when the camera looks the same from both.
Report sageform July 25, 2021 3:41 PM BST
Clue: read the rules. change ends every 10 balls regardless of who bowls them. Daft idea but at least I get it now.
Report Latalomne July 25, 2021 4:36 PM BST
Have to say, the fielding in the two women's games I've watched today has been of a really high standard.  One extremely good catch and lots of decent saves.
Report Charlie July 25, 2021 6:22 PM BST
Has there been any 10 ball overs in the competition?

Women's fielding close in is quite good. There used to be profit betting on the number of run outs in an innings/game as it was generally underestimated; people seemed to forget that the nearer the wicket fielders are the more likely a runout.
Report andyyy. July 25, 2021 6:22 PM BST
what channel is Manchester  vs Birmingham on in the UK
Report andyyy. July 25, 2021 6:24 PM BST
never mind ignore nonsense - sky sports mix. bloody weather
Report jackkat July 25, 2021 7:06 PM BST
Birmingham 87 all out a pathetic attempt as you will ever see
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com