Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 209 comments are related to the topic:
2nd june , 1st test match england v new zealand at lords

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 209
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 06 Jun 21 19:17
The opening combination of Dominic Sibley and Rory Burns is both ungainly and unconvincing. Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood should rejoice if both names appear in the top slots on the team sheet at the Gabba. Given the skill of Australia's pace trio, poor starts could be a death sentence for England.

Root's captaincy often lacks imagination and reason. His tendency to have long discussions with senior players is reminiscent of Alastair Cook at his worst. There's a difference between a captain who consults and one who is uncertain; dithering is a bad look for a captain. There are times in Australia when a captain has to be imaginative in order to force the issue and this is not one of Root's strengths.
England definitely have the pace options to repeat the successes of 1932-33, 1954-55 and 1970-71. However, they won't win if the fast bowlers aren't complemented by strong leadership and sufficient runs.

Not just me, no less than Ian Chapelli
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 06 Jun 21 19:19
Archer, Wood, Stone, Stokes and Co make for a formidable line-up, but Joe Root doesn't quite have the leadership skills to match

In Jofra Archer, Mark Wood and Ollie Stone, England possess a strong pace trio if they are fit. Jimmy Anderson will be invaluable in the day-night Test and will provide testing spells on other occasions. Stuart Broad is insurance in case of injury or fatigue. Add the dual skills of allrounder Ben Stokes and it means England have selection flexibility. They will carry a large squad to cope with bubble requirements, so other pace options will be available. India's last tour of Australia showed the immense value of having ample and capable back-up pace bowling.
England possess a potential series-winning group of fast bowlers. It is the top-order batting and Joe Root's captaincy that should be cause for concern.

Ian Chappell is bang on imho!
By:
sageform
When: 07 Jun 21 15:29
If Robinson is permanently suspended from the team then Jimmy A. will have to carry on until he is 40!
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 07 Jun 21 15:35
Laugh

He is still England's best bowler!
By:
sageform
When: 07 Jun 21 17:26
But if we carry on like this, Jimmy will be the only eligible bowler when he is 70.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 08 Jun 21 14:46
Maybe we can turn him into a spinner. I was stumped down the legside once by a 55 year old wicket keeper off a 79 year old sla!

First bowled when he approached the wicket I felt the doddery old fool was going to have a heart attack. He lobbed it down the leg side. I had eyed up an apple orchard full of sheep and just as I was deciding which tree over mid wicket to hit him into I had this thought that it was rude an un-Corinthian to hit an old fella for six first ball so I went forward to prod it down. I didn't quite reach the pitch and it went  by my pad.

No big deal but then I heard the bails being whipped off. I had lifted my right toe for a fraction of a nano second as I was unbalanced and the 55 yo guy behind the stumps had smartly removed the bails. NO NO NO!

I could hardly believe it as I had my maiden hundred pre-planned. As I made the walk of shame my team mates were laughing till their sides split. The number 4 batsman laughed all the way to the wicket got out the same way and laughed all the way back!

The keeper was ex Kent seconds and this was their modum!  Truly took my pants down!
By:
sageform
When: 10 Jun 21 13:05
Are they still around? England need them.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 10 Jun 21 14:18
Pretty much doubt it. It happened around 1982!
By:
posy
When: 10 Jun 21 15:26
Expect that's the end of Bracey's test career.
By:
sageform
When: 11 Jun 21 10:36
He still has the second innings-unless NZ follow on which seems rather unlikely.
Page 6 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com