Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Number9
12 Feb 21 15:19
| Topic/replies: 5,355 | Blogger: Number9's blog
Can't be very often a team wins handsomely and then immediately changes three bowlers!
Pause Switch to Standard View ***india v england 2nd test***
Show More
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 4:14 AM GMT
Fantastic from Foakes!

I hope people start looking at his batting too because his technique is Test Match Cricket. I would have him over Butler and Bstard in an instant!
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 4:14 AM GMT
Rishi Boi!
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 4:19 AM GMT
Full toss from moen

Quel surpris

But it nearly got a wicket!
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 4:43 AM GMT
Another full toss from Moen. 4 runs this time

Short, 4 more!
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 4:48 AM GMT
Full toss from Moen, no run
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 5:12 AM GMT
Full toss Leach, 4 runs Kohli
Report elisjohn February 15, 2021 6:10 AM GMT
i agree with whispering and dessie, these are probably the best 2 at the moment,  but the standard is poor imo look at  sibley, burns and lawrence would struggle to get a game for minor counties in the good old days>Grin
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 6:46 AM GMT
Are India going to be matched at 1.01 before Eng bat?
I have no probs with the maths, but it can’t have happened often if ever against England.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 7:30 AM GMT
Wouldn't have thought ever in the Betfair era LL ...though it may remain the case at this rate
Report brentford February 15, 2021 7:56 AM GMT
Gavaskar was surprisingly listenable working on Oz radio in the recent series...seems to have reverted to his more usual style here...that of a ****
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:04 AM GMT
It didn’t look very outLaugh
Report brentford February 15, 2021 8:05 AM GMT
was that the ump he was dissing earlier ?
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:06 AM GMT
So England will need 400-450ish, and lasted fewer than 60 overs in their first bat...........hmmn
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:08 AM GMT
Ashwin using outrageous tennis shots and getting boundaries.....any England batsman trying such shots would be pilloried for ever more
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:09 AM GMT
Yeah, I find Gavasker very irritating, as I believe does ButcherLaugh
As you say.... the draw bias would have probably have prevented the 1.01 back in the day, sadly the markets are prob nore efficient, having said that 1.03 is rather generous.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 8:12 AM GMT
I'd certainly want a bit more than 36 for Eng to make what would arguably be their greatest ever run chase...probably just differently inefficient I'd say LL but just an opinion...
as ever 7 for 0 and the plunge will probably start regardless
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:14 AM GMT
Our top order mustered 25 runs between the 3 of them Ist inns. Wonder what they'll get today>
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:16 AM GMT
What does he think that’s missing?
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:18 AM GMT
What a ridiculous waste of time, a tail ender out plumb with an impossible 400+ lead already, reviews!
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:24 AM GMT
England sporting 5 left hand bats: lovely jubbly sez Ashwin.
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:24 AM GMT
I’m guessing Broad must have stayed up and watched The Deerhunter on C4 at the weekend.
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:25 AM GMT
and the 5 mustered 29 runs between them 1st bat
Report brentford February 15, 2021 8:29 AM GMT
lol LL   ....hated that film with a passion at the risk of taking the thread off topic

is it fair to say you're not giving us much of a chance here N0.9 ?  Mischief
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:30 AM GMT
shrewd observation, brentford!
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:32 AM GMT
..... it’s ok before they go to VietnamGrin
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:36 AM GMT
I'm just hoping they can sell their wickets dearly enough to last out as many of the 200 overs they'll be facing as possible.
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 8:37 AM GMT
I’ll be shocked if that 1.03 is there when Burns and Sibley walk out.to bat.
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 8:37 AM GMT
...............instead of being 30/3 after ten
Report tomtimtum February 15, 2021 9:00 AM GMT
Lovely bit of 4% interest on the bank of India
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 9:08 AM GMT
Ashwin MoM even before his inevitable 10 wicket haul for the match!
Report norn iron February 15, 2021 9:22 AM GMT
NUMBER 9  ID SAY GROUNDSMAN MAN OF THE MATCH Wink

STUCK  QUID ON EARLIER TODAY 50/1 DRAW BET SHOWS 11 QUID ASKED $KYBET TO CANCEL SAID NOPE
SO BACKED  DRAW AGAIN AT 200/1  Surprised

IF TOP 5 CAN GRAFT  BIGTIME  AND PROPER SHOT SELECTION AND NO RUN OUTS (AS ALWAYS FEW )WHO KNOW  I MIGHT WIN GRAND BY  RARE  MISTAKE SurprisedWhoopsWink
Report brentford February 15, 2021 9:30 AM GMT
come on then chaps...eng score predictions for a grand prize of forum jealousy...

190 ao
Report norn iron February 15, 2021 9:34 AM GMT
285  FOR 8 LEACH    AND  FOAKES  NOT OUTS  SurprisedWinkWinkWink
Report brentford February 15, 2021 9:36 AM GMT
lovin' it Norn
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 9:37 AM GMT
0-0 after 200 overs
Report brentford February 15, 2021 9:39 AM GMT
is that your final answer no.9 ?Silly
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 9:40 AM GMT
we didn't even manage 0-0 after 1 over in the 1st innings, so I'm expecting an improvement............
Report brentford February 15, 2021 9:46 AM GMT
I do like the Ashwin I must admit...hoping to see him Mankad someone in the 2nd inns then my enjoyment will be complete..
Report brentford February 15, 2021 9:50 AM GMT
would have been interesting to see the Eng price if the lead had gone to 970
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 9:52 AM GMT
Ashwin certainly has a great attitude, yeah I was pondering how many England will get, I’m assuming the line will be around 180, I’ll go 224.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 10:04 AM GMT
official huff and puff mode has now been reached on the bigjoe accepted model of huffingness and puffingness
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:05 AM GMT
Is my mind playing tricks with me or was there an English ground that had a hinged storage hole just off the square for helmets etc?
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:07 AM GMT
Bigjoe LaughLaugh
Report brentford February 15, 2021 10:08 AM GMT
pretty sure Lords did  some time in the mid to late 80's and maybe somewhere else as well
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:11 AM GMT
Cheers Brenty, yeah Lords sounds right.
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:16 AM GMT
Pride! Strauss?
Such defeatism, we’re 35/1 to chase this down.Laugh
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:16 AM GMT
Pride! Strauss?
Such defeatism, we’re 35/1 to chase this down.Laugh
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 10:17 AM GMT
Looking forward to this.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 10:19 AM GMT
just on the subject of forumites... does Rockchucker ever appear in any guise anywhere these days to your knowledge LL ?   held him in very high regard
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:24 AM GMT
I’ve been a very infrequent visitor myself this last few years, so wouldn’t really know, but yeah a fine judge.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 10:27 AM GMT
ok cheers anyway...is it a sign of lockdown madness setting in when one starts posting on here again ? .... I think it probably is...
Report brentford February 15, 2021 10:51 AM GMT
nice to see Sibley's resolved those problems against spin in asia
Report Richard LL February 15, 2021 10:57 AM GMT
Market didn’t put much weight on his wicket, technique didn’t look great...
... but anyway as long as they get 224 between themLaugh
Report brentford February 15, 2021 11:00 AM GMT
as someone that loves an excuse for backing a dog I'm really not seeing the angle here but from a viewing point of view will be fantastic if they give it any sort of credibility
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 11:01 AM GMT
Rohit Sharma should be MOM imho

I said at lunch in the first day this game his over already. He scored 80 before lunch.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 11:05 AM GMT
can certainly see a case for it WD...but as an R Ash fanboy I just aint having it ! Happy
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 11:11 AM GMT
You are correct WD in your comment about the 1st session, I sat and watched it with jaw dropped, it was clear he put us out of the match that early on this pitch and I felt exactly as you did. But Ashwin...........! Logically, of course, we were already out of the match (unless we muster 330ish) so Rohit's efforts were more consequential.
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 11:16 AM GMT
another left hander for MoM
Report brentford February 15, 2021 11:16 AM GMT
Love  R Ash
Report johnnythebull February 15, 2021 11:25 AM GMT
so,you send in a nightwatchman,that fails
smn pls explain to me the rationale behind sending in 2 in a rowWink
Report johnnythebull February 15, 2021 11:28 AM GMT
lbw?
Report brentford February 15, 2021 11:31 AM GMT
Virat in danger of becoming another Ponting with his conduct towards umps
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 11:32 AM GMT
Can’t see how impact was umpires call with Root?

Looked plum to me
Report Whisperingdeath February 15, 2021 11:36 AM GMT
Brent

Ashwin is in my bad books today. I was on under 248.5 which looked pretty safe until he got to the crease!

He is a tremendous cricketer though. Very brave. Great to have on your side just forgetting his skill for a minute. I watched him in Aus and he is a tough tough guy.
Report brentford February 15, 2021 11:39 AM GMT
bad luck on that WD looked weighed in at one point...
yep showed some special character as you say in that series
Report PAT'S PLAYTHING February 15, 2021 11:39 AM GMT
I think India's second innings total---should shut up the ex England captains complaining about the pitch !!---By the way hi to Number9--long time since we met at Wolverhampton.

(Roy)
Report johnnythebull February 15, 2021 11:40 AM GMT
Wd..u know ur stuff..smn pls explain 2 me pitching o/s off..not out

WTF does it matter where it pitches when it's showing it hits the stumps?.never understood the thinking behind this 'anomaly'
Report djptr February 15, 2021 11:53 AM GMT
Jonny
Whether it pitches outside off or not is irrelevant in terms of whether a batsman is out lbw or not.
If it pitches outside leg a batsman cannot be out lbw, regardless of whether it was going to hit the stumps.
If it hits a batsman’s pads outside the line of off stump, a batsman cannot be out lbw if deemed to be playing a shot.
If the umpire deems a batsman not to be playing a shot and the ball hits him outside the line of off, he can give him out lbw if he judges the ball to be hitting the stumps (or if DRS shows it to be on review)
HTH
Report johnnythebull February 15, 2021 2:17 PM GMT
thx djptr,appreciate ur input but i guess i'm never really going to get my head round this
imo, irrespective of where a ball pitches and whether a shot is being played if the shot misses the ball and the only thing preventing the wkts been hit are the pads surely,bar the equipment,he would be bowled?
guess,i'll have to spend the rest of my natural perplexed
trial by spin this test but not convinced a wkt such as this is entirely'fair'..too much in favour of one brand of bowler and a nightmare 4 the batsmen
more interesting than a bore draw 500+ plays 500+
in the light of how things have played out so far don't think England would've gone anywhere close to winning even had they won the toss
be interesting to see what 'surface' is 'produced/concocted for the final 2 tests
Report VardonVoo. February 15, 2021 2:47 PM GMT

Feb 15, 2021 -- 12:25PM, johnnythebull wrote:

so,you send in a nightwatchman,that failssmn pls explain to me the rationale behind sending in 2 in a row

This is a good question - I imagine the answer depends on how many rabbits there are left. You don't want a good batsman to fall in the last over or two before close-of-play before he gets himself "in", so logic dictates that you want those balls used up by a less important batsman. Therefore if that doesn't work it kind of makes sense to keep sending in sacrificial batsmen until the close so long as you have enough left for the next day's play to support your protected batsman once he gets going. If instead your remaining serious batsman got out in the last over, as so often happens, then having a few rabbits left in the hutch is likely to be of no help in saving a match.

Now here's a question that no-on seems to ask - as so many batsman seem to drop on the last ball of a session why not have a "lunch watchman" or a "tea watchman" when a wicket falls close to the end of a session?

Report SontaranStratagem February 15, 2021 3:27 PM GMT
Got what we deserved for going silly with the changes

Never change a winning side and never think its a done deal
Report differentdrum February 15, 2021 5:05 PM GMT
Which changes have affected the position in a negative way? Anderson for Broad but unlikely to have made a deal of difference on this pitch. You could argue that the other changes have made the team stronger.
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 7:28 PM GMT
SS, how many wickets has Ali got? Want to continue your argument?
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 7:29 PM GMT
How well has Foakes kept? Who top scored in 1st innings? Want to continue?
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 7:32 PM GMT
SS, How many wickets have fallen to seam? What difference does it make who bowls seam? (How many overs of seam have been bowled?) 17 Test matches this year - do you want to bowl our best bowler (aged 87 or something, a world-class all-time great) into the ground before the Ashes even start?
Report Number9 February 15, 2021 7:33 PM GMT
SS, have you seen the Indian spinners, at home on an Indian bunsen, compared to our spinners? And you think we would have done any better with 1st Test team?
Report roache February 15, 2021 10:52 PM GMT
I hope the match referee is going to be having a little chat with Kohli after this test as his constant harranging of the umpires is out of order and will no doubt pressurise the umpire into his way of thinking next time he gives it large on an appeal, how he challenged the umpire over his running on the wicket was laughable and showed a lack of respect to that umpire, i wonder if he had a similar conversation with the groundsman to reprimand him over the 1st test flat wicket that was not to his liking.
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 4:03 AM GMT
Marning

Anyone got a scooby on how many Engerland will score?

Bet365 201
Betfair 190
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 4:13 AM GMT
I'm sorry but how the hell are you supposed to play that!
Report brentford February 16, 2021 4:18 AM GMT
from the non strikers end preferably WD Happy
Report brentford February 16, 2021 4:24 AM GMT
shame that from Lawrence had, shown some real composure...until then
Report brentford February 16, 2021 4:26 AM GMT
too early in the day to put my commas in the right place Cry
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 5:01 AM GMT
I like the look of Lawrence.

Crawley will be in next match but Lawrence might keep his place for Burns. Test cricket is tough and he needs some time to learn
Report brentford February 16, 2021 5:09 AM GMT
Likewise WD - he's had a pretty tough start in terms of itinerary compared to some over the years who've been rather more eased in with a home series against SL or WI ...
I'm assuming Bairstow comes in next game so some decisions to be made
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 5:20 AM GMT
Bstard only comes in at 3 or 6. Crawley may open.

I think the young man should be given a chance although I like Johnny at 6. I think Pope is struggling against spin even if the tv commentators think he is a good player of spin.
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 5:21 AM GMT
I really like Pope as a Test Match batsman too but I would play Johnny at 6 next game
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 5:42 AM GMT
You know the commentators were saying how well Pope played in the first innings and how he was a good player of spin and I was watching thinking....nah! Although to be fair. Who can play against spin on this pitch?

Back you judgement, I topped up on under's thinking Pope would be out soon!
Report Whisperingdeath February 16, 2021 5:44 AM GMT
Ok my man Foakes is in now. I hope he does well. They keep going on about Butler being a better batsman and imho he is not! Game changing batsman when he gets it right maybe but this is Test Cricket. How many games has he changed?
Report brentford February 16, 2021 5:47 AM GMT
Putting aside his actual score - Foakes looked by far the most composed player of spin in the 1st dig all be it against a slightly softer ball, obviously he's playing as keeper through the rest of the series but in terms of future tours to Asia he Butler and Bairstow all have claims to be in Eng's best XI on turning pitches...
at least we have good depth if rather lacking a 2nd world class bat.
Report brentford February 16, 2021 5:55 AM GMT
re Butler.. I would have largely held a similar view until the last 18 months or whatever it is but he seems to have found a bit more comfort in red ball stuff and the keeping has been a lot better (though not probably as good as Foakes - the Foakes love in re his keeping is arguably a touch overdone)
Report brentford February 16, 2021 6:00 AM GMT
Don't think Eng look like gaining any positives from this 2nd inns effort  Sad
Report elisjohn February 16, 2021 7:02 AM GMT
might as well open with ali, and give him carte blanche to do this, Grin
Report elisjohn February 16, 2021 7:03 AM GMT
brentford, a bit of positive hereWink
Report brentford February 16, 2021 7:04 AM GMT
nice while it lasted ej
Report Whisperingdeath February 17, 2021 5:49 AM GMT
Forget the positive I think a sense of perspective is required.

India just beat Australia in Australia without Kohli, K L Rahul, B Kumar, Shami, Ishant, Umesh, Jajeda and even Bumrah for the last Test!

India out bowled  an Australian attack of Cummings, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon. Pattinson could not even get in that side that busted Indian bones.

India out batted an Aussie side in their home turf against a side that included Warner, Smith and Labuschagne.

India beat Aussie at the Gabbatoir.

England are 1-1 against that side on their home turf.
Report Number9 February 17, 2021 9:50 AM GMT
............and I echo your unspoken corollary, WD................bring on the Ashes
Report Whisperingdeath February 17, 2021 4:37 PM GMT
Absolutely cannot wait!

I was at Sabina Park in 2004 after 30 years of hurt!

Seriously thinking about going to Melbourne.

Wait till we get you to The Gabba Mr Paine...Archer, Wood, Stone, Anderson....welcome to hell!
Report elisjohn February 18, 2021 10:34 PM GMT
yes and well still get walloped at least 4-0Laugh
Report detraveller February 20, 2021 7:04 PM GMT
yo waenkers wassup.
Report Whisperingdeath February 21, 2021 10:45 AM GMT
Where have you been DT?

Can you really say saving lives is more important than cricket?

You have missed a couple of big wins!

I think these teams are well matched still on favourable wickets. Clearly India have the spin advantage but the next game I have closer to 50/50 not 1.6/4.4

Had a speculative punt on England already but not sure where the advantage is with the toss. How the ball will swing under lights and when, also how quickly will the ball go soft. I think Bstard and Crawley will strengthen England. The word is the ball is swinging but India can exploit that too so it could be a game of swings which will provide opportunities to make money
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com