Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheNorfolkMafia
16 Jul 20 10:50
| Topic/replies: 32,123 | Blogger: TheNorfolkMafia's blog
Cry
Pause Switch to Standard View No Jofra Archer for the Second Test!
Show More
Report Angoose July 16, 2020 11:00 AM BST
England fast bowler Jofra Archer has been excluded from the second Test against West Indies after breaching the bio-secure protocols.

The 25-year-old went to his Brighton home between the first Test in Southampton and second in Manchester.

All of England's matches this summer are being played behind closed doors and in a bio-secure environment.

Archer's breach only came to light on Wednesday night, after he was named in the 13-man squad.

England have not named a replacement, with the team for the Test at Emirates Old Trafford due to be confirmed at the toss on Thursday.

Archer said: "I am extremely sorry for what I have done.

"I have put not only myself but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions and I want to apologise to everyone in the bio-secure bubble.

"It deeply pains me to be missing the Test match, especially with the series poised. I feel like I have let both teams down, and again I am sorry."

Archer must now isolate for five days, during which time he will take two coronavirus tests, both of which must return negative results before he can return to the England squad.

West Indies have been informed of the sanctions and are satisfied with the restrictions that have been imposed.

Archer, who has played eight Tests, took 3-45 in England's defeat in Southampton and was the only member of the pace attack retained for the second Test, with James Anderson and Mark Wood rested.

It means England will choose three from Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes, Sam Curran and uncapped Ollie Robinson to play in Manchester.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's a blow for the England side. Jofra Archer is a wonderful cricketer.

"It's going to make it so much more difficult for England to get back into the series."

Analysis
An extraordinary amount of planning went into creating the bio-secure environment and the punishment for what some might see as a minor indiscretion from Archer shows just how seriously England are taking the safety protocols.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had previously acknowledged the need for players to leave the bubble from time to time, but on this occasion they were expected to head straight from Southampton to Manchester.

The experience in Southampton demonstrated just how strict life in the bubble is - regular coronavirus tests, temperature checkpoints, mandatory face masks and hand sanitiser in every location imaginable. The movement of everyone on site - players, staff, media and hotel workers - is tracked by a fob worn around the neck.

Archer will have known what is expected. It is a great shame for him and the England team that he has erred.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com