Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
peckerdunne
13 Jul 20 22:02
| Topic/replies: 40,790 | Blogger: peckerdunne's blog
1.46 5.1 8

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 26  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 26 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 1,037
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 14 Jul 20 14:24
I took a blind punt on the draw at 9 not knowing what the pitch is like. Feels far too high for the start of a test Match but with the bowling far stronger than the batting on both sides I can understand why. It is also likely to be overcast on the first morning but good weather for most of the rest of the Test.

Looking back at results it is quite possible to make a high score batting first depending I guess on the overheads. I think the team batting first usually wins.

I fully expect the Windies batsmen to develop further. They played with a lot of pride and determination. England look flat when the ball goes soft and probably over bowl Archer in that period hoping for something extraordinary.

I also think Leach would be a better option if the focus is on the quicks and there is not much help in the pitch. Our batting was too week to give Bess a decent chance to be effective in the fourth innings, not his fault but his use in the match was limited as a result.

I also think Foakes should play but he wont. Butler dropped a potential match winning catch down the legside when Blackwood was on 19. If you want a batsman as your wicket keeper I think Bstard has done little wrong at 7. My choice would be Foakes for Australia so get him in now.

I think most of us wanted Crawley and Sibley for the Ashes and for them to be given their chance. I didn't get a good look at Crawley but it makes sense to move him to 3. He is one for the future and Australia. Despite what many think I believe Denly did a decent job for England softening up the new ball and providing a platform for the middle order. Unfortunately didn't do a decent job for himself and he has to go but he steadied the ship and can hold his head up with pride as far as I am concerned.

Bowling wise Broad should have played at Hampshire and Wood at Old Trafford. I suspect Broad returns for Wood...or Anderson! Bess won't be dropped so here we are!

The first day might be tricky but if the batting side get through the morning they may well go on to win the match.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 14 Jul 20 14:30
Umpiring!

I think the Umpires did OK. Many people don't seem to get that if it is hitting the top of off stump and Umpire is well within his rights to give it not out. The human eye and brain is not as slide rule efficient as Hawkeye. People seem to think because it knicked the top off off and Umpire has made a howler. People need to look back at some overseas tours to remember why the Review System was brought in, not just to prevent howlers but also biased Umpiring.

Javed Mianded was never given out lbw in Pakistan until the World Cup and neutral Umpires. Some Australian Umpires would never give England an lbw but would give English batsmen out when the ball clearly pitched down the leg side.

I think the Umpires do a pretty good job and people who follow football have no idea of the rules of their own game and even less of an understanding of cricket.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 14 Jul 20 14:35
yes I know we have had neutral Umpires for a long time but it was embryonic in the development of Hawkeye
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 15 Jul 20 16:32
Weather looks clear (well dry anyway), the pitch is reported to faster than the one at Southampton, has to be a result, but the days of laying pre-match at somewhere between 3 and 4 are long gone.

In a side note, how does Buttler keep getting picked? If your face fits it's difficult to get dropped at the moment.
By:
Angoose
When: 15 Jul 20 19:13
England have dropped batsman Joe Denly and rested pace bowlers James Anderson and Mark Wood for the second Test against West Indies.

All-rounder Sam Curran and uncapped Sussex fast bowler Ollie Robinson have been named in a 13-man squad.

Denly, 34, averages 29.53 in 15 matches, and was out for 18 and 29 in the first Test loss in Southampton.

Captain Joe Root returns at Emirates Old Trafford and will bat at four, with Zak Crawley moving up to number three.

Root missed the first Test following the birth of his second child.

The squad for the second Test, which begins on Thursday, means pace bowler Stuart Broad is in line for a recall after being omitted in favour of Anderson, Wood and Jofra Archer in Southampton.

With England playing six Tests in the space of seven weeks, their fast bowlers were always likely to be rotated, with Chris Woakes also coming into contention to play in Manchester.

Robinson, 26, has taken 236 wickets in 56 first-class matches at an average of 22.33, and was part of the England Lions team that defeated Australia A down under earlier this year.

England squad for second Test against West Indies: Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, Jofra Archer (Sussex), Dominic Bess (Somerset), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey) Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).
By:
andybfc
When: 16 Jul 20 08:16
Archer out for breaking isolation, Anderson in?
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 16 Jul 20 08:26
I thought Anderson, like Wood, was reported as struggling for full fitness after the 1st Test.
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 16 Jul 20 08:29
No replacement called up so on that basis it'd be two out of Woakes, Curran, and Ollie Robbo
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:07
Poor show all round. Imagine Botham didn’t play because if every indiscretion!
By:
detraveller
When: 16 Jul 20 09:09
Times change WD. Botham probably also didn't miss a test because his wife had a baby.
By:
Eric.Cartman
When: 16 Jul 20 09:13
The obvious replacement for Jofra, according to Ed Smith....is Joe Denly
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:14
Highlighting selection failures this. Wood should be playing on this pitch or rather did not need to play at Southampton where Briad should have played. Let us see how well Broad bowls on days 3,4 and 5.

If Butler doesn’t score well or England lose this match I think he will struggle to play next week.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:17
Well DT,

He certainly didn’t miss a Test while shagging a Miss World and breaking the bed in the process!

God help us all. They think modern footballers are badly behaved, if only they knew what English gentlemen cricketers were like.
By:
Eric.Cartman
When: 16 Jul 20 09:20
Does Jofra now get thrown under the same bus as Alex Hales ???
By:
johnnyrant
When: 16 Jul 20 09:26
I think it is a bit non-sensical to apply this rotation system with bowlers purely cos of perceived test fixture congestion. Should play your best test XI. End of. Too much chopping and changing means you have little continuity with the side. Moeen Ali can't even get in the shakeup now when I think Ali would do a lot better than Bess when it comes to trying to bowl a team out on the 5th day, and would certainly add more with the bat. Anderson not playing on his home pitch makes about as much sense as dropping Broad for the 1st test. Sorry, no fan of Smith as a selector.
By:
detraveller
When: 16 Jul 20 09:27
Yeah I miss Moeen Ali.
By:
detraveller
When: 16 Jul 20 09:29
He always brought the forum to life.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:32
I think Smifff has been bright with selections at times but also too obstinate but that is a trait in most leaders.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:32
Rough with the smooth
By:
Eric.Cartman
When: 16 Jul 20 09:33
Moeen is by far our best spinner(from a bad bunch)..people get way to obsessed with his batting.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:38
The trouble with Moeen was he couldn’t  hold an end down when our bowlers looked like trundles at times. His bowling was better than anything we had and certainly is with his place in the side rather than trying to accommodate 3 wicket keepers
By:
Whisperingdeath
Raining at present
By:
Whisperingdeath
Drizzle
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 09:40
Good toss to lose. Bat first pitch. Overcast and sweating pitch. Welcome back Joe.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 10:52
Cricket lives matter
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 11:11
It's a bat first pitch
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 11:16
Bumble reckons there will be moisture,so see off the new ball and it's flat as a pancake for 3 days at least......or 4 and a half Laugh
By:
tomtimtum
When: 16 Jul 20 11:24
83 overs scheduled for the day, 12:30 start
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 11:48
What is the strategy Padowan?

Back the batting side but wait for a couple of early wickets?
By:
tomtimtum
When: 16 Jul 20 11:50
Full wank on whichever team bowls first !
By:
tomtimtum
When: 16 Jul 20 11:51
12.30pm start is the word from the ground. Toss 12pm, with a one hour session before lunch at 1.30pm.

Second session: 14.10-16.25

Tea: 16.25-16.45

Final session: 16.45-19.00 with 30 mins extra

83 overs in the day
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 11:52
Took Ebony 2 sentences.............
By:
sageform
When: 16 Jul 20 11:57
Surprised that the WI price has not moved since the rain delay. I am on at 5.2 hoping to lay off at some point. It was the right strategy in the first test but lightning may not strike twice.
By:
kingscrewed
When: 16 Jul 20 11:57
First session 1 hour, about 12 overs at usual bowling rates so 2 goes with the new ball.

Ebony you only have to look at the man 2 see why hes a legend wtf.

Also who chooses her wardrobe poundland?
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 12:02
ROOT looking like Michael Crawford
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 12:03
Windies opt to field
By:
peckerdunne
When: 16 Jul 20 12:06
How far will England be behind................Grin
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 16 Jul 20 12:07
I think it prudent to be on the bowling side first up but look to switch when deemed appropriate. I think England might have got lucky with this decision but an hour before and after lunch will be difficult and it will remain cloudy all day.
By:
tomtimtum
When: 16 Jul 20 12:08

Jul 16, 2020 -- 12:07PM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

I think it prudent to be on the bowling side first up but look to switch when deemed appropriate. I think England might have got lucky with this decision but an hour before and after lunch will be difficult and it will remain cloudy all day.

Agreed

Page 1 of 26  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 26 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com