Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Cardinal Scott
16 Jan 20 06:09
| Topic/replies: 29,196 | Blogger: Cardinal Scott's blog
Opportunities will abound with wildly inconsistent England.

Pause Switch to Standard View South Africa vs England, 3rd Test,...
Show More
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 2:29 PM GMT
an early wicket or two with the new ball might see the draw crash also.

Still three days to go!
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 2:29 PM GMT
I mean a run on the draw as panic sets in
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 2:30 PM GMT

Jan 17, 2020 -- 2:29PM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

I mean a run on the draw as panic sets in

Absolutely Risk/Reward........take your choice or do nothing

Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 2:33 PM GMT
to get 20 wickets in less than 3 days with a short batting break is a big ask but all depends on the state of the pitch and the direction of any wind at this ground
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 2:39 PM GMT
Is Bess good enough? we will see, I have my doubts.
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 2:39 PM GMT
Draw move ready to go down now I think!
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 2:44 PM GMT
I don't think Bess is good enough at the moment he is still young and has plenty to learn but in this game it all depends on the pitch and pressure of the situation. Wickets and panic and he is a great bowler. Dull lifeless pitch with confident batsmen and he will look like a dobber.
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 2:46 PM GMT
Alex Carey trying to get Aus back on track with a mighty blow.....swiftly followed by Smithy matching it.
Report peckerdunne January 17, 2020 2:54 PM GMT
here they come to Daddy Laugh
Report peckerdunne January 17, 2020 2:56 PM GMT
MASSIVE DRAW DRIVE LaughLaugh
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:00 PM GMT
I'm only light green here btw
Report peckerdunne January 17, 2020 3:03 PM GMT
1.67 ive greened for now...........
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 3:20 PM GMT
Well played Pecker!  Great cash out!
Report peckerdunne January 17, 2020 3:21 PM GMT
cheers wd, bat was unlucky i thought
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:23 PM GMT
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:25 PM GMT
& 77 pence of green India Aus!
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:33 PM GMT
Now that India Aus is settled will tune into BPL final though deffo not betting on it.
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:40 PM GMT
93nmph from Woody RAPID!
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 3:45 PM GMT
Rain or no draw I would think from here.
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 4:12 PM GMT
I think we have seen enough to know SA are up against it. I mean Elgar is a limpet but he was troubled by Woods pace and he has been out 30% of the time to an off spinner so he is not looking as rock like as usual! Nortje will hopefully be undone by pace. A lot will depend on what is happening with the pitch and if the wind changes direction.

I think the pitch will deteriorate but over time. Patience is key here and the game can change quickly. SA have some decent batsmen if they can get in and couple who can hang around once in. I don't think it is a QDK type of pitch but he can play straight if he has to.

Good last couple of overs for England backers!
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 4:15 PM GMT
oh and by God am I looking forward to the Joberg game. Wood and Archer! Shame Rabadabadoo will not be playing!

I was really fearful of him and Nortje throwing it down at England. What a slugfest it could have been!
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 4:24 PM GMT
I wasn't watching Freddie Flintoff at his peak but wondering if Wood & Jofra are the 2 quickest bowlers in Eng history! ...both of them have hit 96 mph
Report Cardinal Scott January 17, 2020 4:27 PM GMT
Mushy & Frylinck can still bring this bugger home but its tough!
Report geordie1956 January 17, 2020 5:03 PM GMT
Who was or is the fastest England bowler Cardinal Scott asks - its impssible to compare generations but 2 of the best were -

Frank Tyson was undoubtedly of extreme pace; Tom Graveney said about him "Frank Tyson, at his peak, was possibly the fastest bowler of all time. In 1954–55, England convincingly beat Australia by three Tests to one, mainly thanks to devastating bowling that earned Tyson the nickname 'Typhoon'. Roaring off a long run, he generated tremendous pace that unnerved and unhinged even the greatest batsmen."

My personal preference is Harold Larwood who was fast but extremely accurate and had the perfect action (it was later copied by Ray Lindwall the great Aussie test bowler) ... Larwood frightened the Aussies to death in 1932/33 - they even wrote a music hall song about him in the Bodyline series -
With a prayer and a curse they prepare for the hearse,
Undertakers look on with broad grins.
Oh, they'd be a lot calmer in Ned Kelly's armour
When Larwood the wrecker begins.[151]

I doubt any bowler has ever had such an influence on a test series
Report Whisperingdeath January 17, 2020 5:07 PM GMT
oh Geordie,

You are going to get the treatment from Tom whenever he is back!

I have been watching Test Cricket since 1971 and these two are the fastest I have seen. Devon Malcolm was pretty rapid when he was pished off by somebody. Plenty have been pretty quick at times but nothing like these two.

I have heard and read that Typhoon Tyson was possibly one of the quickest of all time.
Report geordie1956 January 17, 2020 5:14 PM GMT
all about opinions whispering but a great fast bowler is always good to watch whoever he plays for ... extreme pace frightens any batsman no matter who they are or the reputation they might have
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 5:29 AM GMT
I have seen some slo mo footage of the Typhoon launching and that is the word for it on YouTube. Quite an astonishing action.

There is little more exciting in sport than a fast bowler throwing it down like in fact The Whispering DeathWink!

I have been to a Heavyweight Title fight and that is exhilarating. A forward confrontation in Rugby is exciting but violence is part and parcel of both sports. It is easier to mask fear by throwing a punch or your body into someone. Being hit gets the Adrenalin flowing and anger can diffuse fear temporarily but facing an extremely fast bowler leaves your courage nowhere to hide. Further you are exposed and everybody can see. The lad yesterday was like a rabbit in the headlights. His inane grins betrayed the smell of fear.

I would have made a pact with Dr Faustus to be able to bowl fast!
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 7:58 AM GMT
wow I nearly greened out. The graphics weather forecasts were not very encouraging for today let alone tomorrow!The satellite forecast was more reassuring so I cancelled my sell orders.
Report Cardinal Scott January 18, 2020 8:32 AM GMT
Missed the start, looking grim for Saffers....I cant see any way out for them.
Report geordie1956 January 18, 2020 8:33 AM GMT
what a start by bess .. Cool
Report sageform January 18, 2020 8:50 AM GMT
Relieved to be greened out now. I have a token £1 profit on a result and a decent one on a draw. If SA survive until tea I might have a small draw bet again. Follow on looks likely though and that would mean an almost certain England win without a day lost to rain. Either England have found a good team or SA are really poor. Probably both.
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 8:56 AM GMT
I think England are a better team than SA and have better players but these are small margins. What would have happened if SA won the toss? The team batting first have won the first two Test's and look like winning here
Report sageform January 18, 2020 9:03 AM GMT
England have 4 first choice players out injured or ill. Has this been a blessing in disguise as it has allowed them to give great experience to Crawley, Bess and Pope?
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 9:21 AM GMT
Poor from Root there. Was in a bad position to catch that. It did go fast though.

It has been a blessing in disguise. Many have wanted to have a look at Crawley and Sibley. They have shown they have what it takes but early days yet as more kwality fast bowlers will analyse their week spots.

Broad is playing for his test future. Not sure about Bess yet although he has done nothing wrong so far.
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 9:35 AM GMT
I thing the big loser from all this is Johnny Bstard. Pope has been the big beneficiary.

I like Johnny but his " thats the way I play " attitude might now come back to haunt him. I think we all wanted him to move up the order and be a proper batsmen but I guess he is best at 7 with the gloves. But now he will have to keep Butler on his toes. Thing is Foakes might be better than both and a better batsman too but he did not get a chance because previous management wanted biffers in the side not Test batsmen!
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 9:40 AM GMT
Nicely done by Bess. Good bounce and I like the aggression! 22 years old! Still so much to learn but five wickets in South Africa in the their first innings, wow!
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 9:53 AM GMT
England still in this..think they're going overboard somewhat with this Bess,figures flatter him imho,things have gone his way..no Murali or Warne in my book
Report geordie1956 January 18, 2020 11:13 AM GMT
Its eary days for Bess & he needs to reproduce results for a long time - nobody is saying he's a Warne or a Murali (mind he was a chucka) but he could do good job & develop futher as he is only 22. Obviously his skills will be properly tested in the sub continent so the Sri Lanka series will be interesting
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 1:19 PM GMT
going to be one almighty collapse in prices here
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 1:20 PM GMT
wow 1.9 to 1.7 in seconds
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 1:22 PM GMT
1.96 this is going to hurt some
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 1:25 PM GMT
1,74 Laugh guessers
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 1:29 PM GMT
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 1:30 PM GMT
Not sue how much play we will get today but I think Monday is set fair. Tomorrow does not look god but they may still get to play with a bit of luck. England really need to put the cat amongst the pidgeon's here and try and dismiss SA today. I would bowl Wood, then Stokes before Broad. Bowl in tandem with Bess who must crowd the bat and try and induce mistakes from Nortje. I would imagine QDK will play in a positive manner so just set a normal field for him.
Report Whisperingdeath January 18, 2020 1:39 PM GMT
need to find a way to deal with Nortje!
Report sageform January 18, 2020 2:50 PM GMT
I still want a draw but it is getting very short now. On wicket now and the follow on will be likely and surely England can take 10 second innings wickets in 80 overs over 2 more days?
Report sageform January 18, 2020 2:51 PM GMT
Stokes! Wrong one out perhaps but one closer to 10.
Report geordie1956 January 18, 2020 2:56 PM GMT
just need another breakthrough of either of these 2 & hopefully the tail won't wag
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:24 PM GMT
just laid the draw 1.75
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:28 PM GMT
cashed out 10% profit..20p not to be sneezed at,innit!Grin
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:29 PM GMT
how many overs left today?
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:31 PM GMT
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:32 PM GMT
poor drop
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 3:36 PM GMT
3 or 4 then off
Report peckerdunne January 18, 2020 3:41 PM GMT
too dark man
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:42 PM GMT
v intriguingly poised atm
Report johnnythebull January 18, 2020 3:45 PM GMT
SA 299-9 dec.(Hanse back as captain)WinkGrin
Report sageform January 18, 2020 4:00 PM GMT
Must be a draw if they avoid the follow on tomorrow.
Report andybfc January 18, 2020 4:01 PM GMT
Will be a draw. Stokes has lumped on it.
Report Cardinal Scott January 18, 2020 4:22 PM GMT
I went back to bed when Eng were 1.45ish, kinda surprised what I woke up to.
Report GRANTCKING January 18, 2020 5:36 PM GMT
a thai is a thai is a thai
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 8:06 AM GMT
Ya Sah!

Through the gate!

I’m loving it like that
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 8:17 AM GMT
It is back to 1.4 Cardinal

Deja vu!
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 8:19 AM GMT
I always said what a great Captain Root isBlush!
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 8:28 AM GMT
I hope I am not dreaming and when I wake up it is raining!

Does not look easy to bat on now
Report johnnythebull January 19, 2020 8:30 AM GMT
whoa,like whoa..draw is a million now..Eng will need less than 3 sessions in any case
Report sageform January 19, 2020 8:30 AM GMT
Missed the first 15 minutes and it is all over, probably today unless it rains. At least I have a £1 profit on an England win but gutted at having such a good position on a draw.
Report doridoru January 19, 2020 8:34 AM GMT
draw 4.3???? no rain forecast tomorrow
Report johnnythebull January 19, 2020 8:56 AM GMT
draw collapsing..looks like they think Noah's on his way to PE
Report doridoru January 19, 2020 8:58 AM GMT
no rain on the radar just said...and no rain tomorrow
Report johnnythebull January 19, 2020 10:16 AM GMT
anyone watching this u 19 SL v IND..whoa..this young SL bowler Matheesha..unbelievable slinger..makes Malinga look ultra conventional!
Report geordie1956 January 19, 2020 12:18 PM GMT
real fast bowling always makes a difference !
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 12:20 PM GMT
It is not just England who have Wood.

I have stubbornly stuck with my England back in the face Biblical storms and mounting commonsense cash out pressure

I too now have Wood!
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 12:23 PM GMT
If I were a boxing referee I would stop the contest between Wood and Hamza.

If I were a vet I would put Hamza out of his misery.

If I were a Doctor I would....well lets just say Wood is going to euthanize Hamza for me!
Report geordie1956 January 19, 2020 12:23 PM GMT
are we going to get a decent session of cricket without rain breaks ... hope so
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 12:25 PM GMT
I can't wait to see what Indian batsmen do to fast bowlers on good wickets. it will be exciting even if brief at times.

England in Aus is going to be awesome too! Wouldn't bother with Broad and Anderson in Aus next time round!
Report doridoru January 19, 2020 12:26 PM GMT

Jan 19, 2020 -- 12:20PM, Whisperingdeath wrote:

It is not just England who have Wood.I have stubbornly stuck with my England back in the face Biblical storms and mounting commonsense cash out pressureI too now have Wood!

LaughHappy

Report geordie1956 January 19, 2020 12:30 PM GMT
tea break will be 1.40 - 2.00 and then a final session to 4 or up to 4.30 - *54 overs max (if england have taken several wkts they could ask for the extra 30 mins until 5pm our time)
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 12:30 PM GMT
Very few things like a four figure green to get the libido moving.
Report geordie1956 January 19, 2020 12:39 PM GMT
Saffers might capitulate quickly way things are going
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 12:41 PM GMT
Hamza was not going to last long. Malan is the big wicket now. FAF is a fighter but horribly out of form. QDK is QDK. I don't think they will be able to survive if Bess gets spin and bounce as Root can crowd them.

Wonderful stuff all from some stoic batting. Boring boring Denly! Test Cricket is back for England and "that is the way I play" is gawn!
Report geordie1956 January 19, 2020 12:46 PM GMT
it proves that test match cricket is about batting long ... doesn't matter so much if you don't get that many runs early but preserve your wkt - the more mileage you put into the bowlers legs the more opportunity the offensive players (stokes / pope etc) can take advantage later in an innings as bowlers tire
A simple methodology but it does work
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 1:02 PM GMT
It's not even that. It is about protecting your best batsmen from the new ball against fresh bowlers on a helpful pitch.

Being 30-3 or 40-4 stopped being a funny joke, or prediction it became the norm. Then we had people playing bottom hand across the line shots trying to save a game, getting out and saying " that is the way I play". Well guess what...that is not how to play Test Cricket. Adios gay Caballero's
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 1:03 PM GMT
There is plenty of room for the David Warners and Gordon Greenidges
Report pushkin99 January 19, 2020 1:23 PM GMT
Gordon Greenidge, what a wonderful aggressive batter. Could defend when needed, but one of the hardest hitters, particularly cutting, in the game.
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 1:29 PM GMT
oh yes, but he had a wonderful defense too. I remember him " Padding up " to Bob Willis!
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 1:32 PM GMT
I also remember him hitting Bob Willis for 56 of the 63 runs conceded in his eight overs!

Mikey just mentioned Gordon Greenidge got dropped after his first tour of Australia!
Report Whisperingdeath January 19, 2020 1:34 PM GMT
They just mentioned the wind has changed to a Southeasterly! That should help the seamers!
Report SontaranStratagem January 19, 2020 3:16 PM GMT
SA have been shocking this test

Being blown away at home by Rooting Crazy
Report peckerdunne January 19, 2020 4:40 PM GMT
I really think England can push on for the win now..
Report peckerdunne January 19, 2020 4:42 PM GMT
No Juce on an England thread is a rarity, no Tom either.

Must have too much disposable income Grin
Report Injera January 19, 2020 5:20 PM GMT
Root looked more dangerous than Bess. His round arm from around the wicket means he gets an arm ball going.

Hard to see a way back for Moeen on this form.

Pope, job for life at short leg?!
Report 1978Reggie January 19, 2020 5:26 PM GMT
the best weather/radar sites for South Africa would be appreciated.....?
Report johnnythebull January 19, 2020 6:09 PM GMT
this new spinner find..Joe'Shane' Root was highly impressive..if he can muster some runs batting might well be worth keeping in the side

side seems to be more efficient and cohesive w/o a certain,overrated,petulant persona who was overlooked by his home nation who perhaps just knew what they were about
Report Cardinal Scott January 20, 2020 9:49 AM GMT
Non ruthless England having Root on for 10 overs to nab a five-fer......contemptible stat padding so this last wicket stand is what they deserve.
Report Whisperingdeath January 20, 2020 11:14 AM GMT
yes that was poor from Root but shouldn't take away from a great England performance against a mediocre SA side. We are slowly getting things together and perhaps understanding what Test Cricket is about. To me that seems a little strange. These blokes are professionals and they still can't work out that a new ball need to be pitched up?

Add Bayliss into the mix and having two T20 batsmen in the top 3. The series win over India last summer papered over the cracks and imho England were very lucky with the weather last year.

It appears we have better personnel atm. They have all demonstrated that they deserve a prolonged chance in this team. I do not believe for one minute that everything is rosy in the garden but we are in a much better place right mow.
Report detraveller January 20, 2020 8:43 PM GMT
What a disgrace this saffa team is becoming. I have resigned myself to thinking it will either be a very poor outfit(with quota) or just a poor outfit(thanks to all the exports to engerland)

and fk u abd.
Report detraveller January 20, 2020 8:45 PM GMT
a bit harsh on abd but needed to get that out.
Report detraveller January 20, 2020 8:47 PM GMT
Just looked at the stats of the top 3 england batters and you can see since the new coach has arrived they've at least given it a try to bat overs instead of runs. Stokes and Pope clearly feasted on tired bowlers to some extent. If they can keep doing that lots of their weaknesses in the bowling dept won't show up.
Report SontaranStratagem January 20, 2020 9:05 PM GMT
Imagine being SA right now having been absolutely trounced by Rootings

"proud" was probably 1.01 in the interview after?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com