Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
alun2005
15 May 19 14:22
| Topic/replies: 39,358 | Blogger: alun2005's blog
Given that they rarely make ANY sort of impact whatsoever on any reasonably flat pitch, on a ground where there is at least one short boundary, I’m beginning to wonder what’s the point of picking them.

How long before one country fields a team of 11 Joss Buttler stroke-maker types who try and get 600 on the board, then do their best to hang on with 'Watkinson' style 'lollipop' bowling? 

And how come this hitherto unknown Jofra Archer (who???) has apparently become an “automatic selection” for England’s white ball cricket set up?  I note however he’s done his chances no harm whatsoever by NOT being picked for the last 2 one-dayers, where he would no doubt have been smashed all around Bristol and Southampton.

Keep taking your crash helmet to the grounds is my advice.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 20
By:
peckerdunne
When: 15 May 19 15:18
Cant wait for the first half century of sixes.........

The excitement will be fever pitch.........
By:
Injera
When: 15 May 19 16:59
The pitches, 2 white balls and all the other ODI regulations are killing it. It's not cricket, a game of charm, nuisance, skill and tactics.

I don't mind the 200 plays 190 in T20 but 50 over cricket has to be more balanced between bat and bowl.

As for Archer. He was Horsham's overseas 2 years ago. Plucked by Sussex when they saw his pace. He's box office and the ECB fast tracked his eligibility to play for England (has a British Dad).

Many can bowl 85mph. Ver few can go over 90 and be accurate.
By:
jucel69
When: 16 May 19 02:24

May 15, 2019 -- 4:59PM, Injera wrote:

The pitches, 2 white balls and all the other ODI regulations are killing it. It's not cricket, a game of charm, nuisance, skill and tactics.I don't mind the 200 plays 190 in T20 but 50 over cricket has to be more balanced between bat and bowl.As for Archer. He was Horsham's overseas 2 years ago. Plucked by Sussex when they saw his pace. He's box office and the ECB fast tracked his eligibility to play for England (has a British Dad).Many can bowl 85mph. Ver few can go over 90 and be accurate.

Yeh 2 new balls tends to really skew it.
If the pitch has a bit of life it's 150 a/o and if it hasn't then it plays into the batsmen's hands at the end of the innings.
Also hard for a spinner to ever get any decent grip as no ball will ever be more than 25 overs and virtually no chance of reverse.
They should be working on one ball that keeps it's colour and relative hardness for 50 overs.

Other way of thinking is to have one ball & then the option for the fielding captain to have a new ball when he wants it (anytime in the inns), but he doesn't have to take it if he doesn't want to (like a test).
I'm sure the opening bowlers would have a bit more of spring in their step if they could take a new ball at 30 overs of say 42 overs at the back end.

By:
donny osmond
When: 16 May 19 09:57
start at 10am in uk and game is over before the moisture has left the pitch.
By:
detraveller
When: 16 May 19 22:59
Why would the ICC want to improve 50 over cricket when it is in their financial interest to just get rid of it? There is no way they'll make any effort to take it back to the way it was 15 years ago. So imo its better they just get rid of it.

I don't bet on ODIs and I can't remember watching one out of excitement in the last few years. In fact the last ODI I remember involved Eng and I remember it because I was betting on it. Since the last world cup, the only other ODI I can recall is the Ban-Ind Asia cup final. And that only because the waenkers from India were making so much noise in the student dorms, and I ended up watching the last few overs.

Its the worst format at the moment. And there's no incentive to improve it.
By:
Injera
When: 17 May 19 16:51
dt - I think it's very profitable. 100 overs with adverts in between each. Huge tv audience around the world with day/night games as well. Decent crowds too.

Just not my cuppa.
By:
VardonVoo.
When: 18 May 19 16:19
An argument put forward yesterday by one of the commies on the Eng/Pak game is that you have time to recover if things go bad for a few overs. With T20 it can be all over very quickly if you lose quick wickets and get too far behind the rate (except IPL, where Dhoni or Russell win you matches by scoring a century off the last over, assisted by unprecedented numbers of wides).

I generally find 50 overs is too long and gets boring unless it's a close match, which many of the Royal London matches were, due to all teams being used to the climate, perhaps. I used to like the Pro 40 format better. Those last ten overs in One-Dayers often really drag on. 

A variation I'd really like to see would be a 40-over game split into two innings which could go ABAB or ABBA depending on what the score was at a particular stage (like a follow-on target type thing). Maybe there could be some way to involve more of the batsmen instead of a team getting 220/1 in 20 overs on a flat deck. Possibly at change of innings new batsmen automatically come to the crease. Or maybe you could limit the batsmen to a fixed number of overs, like you do bowlers. They can come back on later provided they didn't get out but they can't dominate the game by batting the whole innings in one go. I'm sure it would introduce more strategy to the game and make it more interesting than simply "Set Target-Chase Target".
By:
alun2005
When: 18 May 19 16:45
I see Archer took another giant step yesterday towards his 'automatic selection' for the World Cup with his, erm, 1 for 62 yesterday. Willey and Woakes must have been thrilled not to be selected and smashed all the way around Trent Bridge. 

So, another occasion where bowlers made zero impact. Fielding far more important as things tuned out.
By:
Injera
When: 18 May 19 18:55
VV - I agree 40 overs was good. Especially early on when the white ball swung as the lights took over from natural light.

Batsmen got caught in between a 20 and 50 over mentality. Made it more interesting.

If you really want to screw with the game previously known as cricket, 10 runs for a wicket....
By:
FatherMaguire
When: 23 May 19 22:04
Got to give England credit here, they've improved beyond belief since the last world cup - ODIs were in danger of becoming redundant but currently there are alot of players doing superb things in the format - the world cup could be genuinely great (And we've got a good chance too)
By:
sageform
When: 24 May 19 17:20
You need bowlers to give the likes of Buttler the chance to keep breaking records. A bowling machine might do better.
By:
alun2005
When: 31 May 19 09:47
Hold The Front Page : Archer actually plays a game and takes 3 wickets, admittedly with massive assistance from desperate South African batting.

Another game where fielding and injudicious shot-making, rather than bowling, was the critical factor.
By:
pixie
When: 31 May 19 11:07
I disagree. Archer's pace unsettled the batsman and forced their errors. England bowling (as was their fielding and to a lesser degree their batting) was excellent yesterday.
By:
donny osmond
When: 31 May 19 12:45
pakistan need bigger bats, but a 10.30 start is asking for trouble
By:
donny osmond
When: 01 Jun 19 11:59
sri lanka need bigger bats too
By:
sageform
When: 01 Jun 19 14:54
The lamentable performances of Pakistan against Afghanistan and W Indies put England's 4-0 win against them into perspective but England dominated South Africa as well. It is already looking like England, NZ, Australia and Windies for the Semis although we have yet to see India.
By:
cricketnut2
When: 02 Jun 19 18:48
the above 5 teams, will be the sides fighting it out for the 4 places
By:
sageform
When: 04 Jun 19 13:10
Why have 3 of the teams played twice while India have yet to play at all? There could in theory be an advantage/disadvantage in playing your games later if the weather changes. Surely with 10 teams they should all play in the first 5 games, then all in the second 5 etc.
By:
detraveller
When: 04 Jun 19 19:35
That;s how the indian cricket council scheduled it.
By:
alun2005
When: 04 Jun 19 20:03
The rarely seen Archer chipped in with 0-79 against Pakistan yesterday. 

Fingers crossed he'll improve on that in the forthcoming matches.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com