Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
detraveller
22 May 18 10:27
| Topic/replies: 27,959 | Blogger: detraveller's blog

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 43  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 43 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 1,700
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 22 May 18 12:48
Looking at Thursday's wet + humid forecast, Pakistan bowling first could make England's current 1.51 look ill-advised.

Usually I'd be laying the draw and walking off but I'm nervous about predicted thunderstorms for Monday lunchtime - I'll be leaving it at least another day for the forecasts to firm up a bit.
By:
detraveller
When: 22 May 18 12:52
I've been doing a bit of pregame trading. Layed draw at 5.5 which went out to 5.9 which seemed too long so I hammered it. Sitting pretty now before the game.

Pakistan bowling doesn't look that strong to me but they are pakistani bowlers and given heplful conditions, they are world class. Not much confidence in them if the sun is out though.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 22 May 18 13:29
I would have thought Lords would be a belter even this early in the season. I wonder if a speculative draw play could be a winner...erm no not with these two chump sides batting!

I would have thought the smart money is on England but I am not too inclined  to back anything before the game. Anderson can do anything the Pakistani's can do. I doubt the match will fall to beneficial humid bowling conditions for any one side.

To be honest I am not really looking forward to a match between these two drab teams except it is a Test Match at Lords after the filth of the IPL!
By:
green army
When: 22 May 18 18:33
For Me Pakistan at 6.2 seems v good value :

- You don't get draws at Lords unless significant rain and with v light evenings they'll make up any time for light showers Thursday
- England were soooo hopeless in the winter , away from home I know
- Pakistan looked very talented here in 2016 and won the Lords Test in 4 days
By:
Injera
When: 22 May 18 19:50
I know little about the Pakistan batting.

England's batting remains very vulnerable. Huge questions over most of them including Cook, Buttler, Stokes, Stoneman and Root's lack of tons. So basically all of them!

Hoping for whoever bats to do ok at some stage Day 1 and then lay the draw at closer to 4s.
By:
detraveller
When: 22 May 18 21:48
Pakistan looked very talented here in 2016 and won the Lords Test in 4 days
Its an inexperienced batting lineup this time. Same for bowling, especially without Yasir Shah(I am assuming he isn't available for the series?). Shadab is good but again, inexperienced.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 22 May 18 22:48
You’d be foolish to write Pakistan off with their seam bowling lead by Amir and against a very dubious England batting line up but they look to have a rather dubious batting line up themselves. There may be some value in being on Pak early on but home advantage is usually massive in test cricket and I’m going to be far more comfortable trading the draw, as usual.
By:
mafeking
When: 22 May 18 22:54
england haven't lost the first test of the summer since 1995 against the west indies. england in may is massive home advantage
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 09:18
only 3 draws in the last 19 games here, they were all against SL. Strange stat!
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 09:21
Personally I think it's a relatively weak Pak bowling line up and the batting is always a lottery.
However it's a poor England bowling line up & a bang average batting order.
Could be a real shitfest
Let's see what Mike Hunt has prepared for us this time!
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 09:27
on a side point, they may be getting rid of the toss for the next Ashes. Not in favour of that at all, it will take away a lot of the pre game action Cry
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 09:31
Met office and BBC out of sync again with the weather
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 09:35
James Taylor's autobiography looks a riveting read, think I'll pass on that
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 23 May 18 10:14
Could be hot and humid over the weekend with a chance of a thunderstorm Sunday. far from aiding the draw that will help a result as the ball is more likely to swing.

I just cannot see a Pakistani win unless they bat first on a belter and score 600. England are not a bad side, they just play badly, more so away from home. I wouldn't bet against them this week.
By:
detraveller
When: 23 May 18 10:42
@Fats, I am not writing off their bowling. They could bowl England out in a session. I remember they bowled out Aus for 88 many years ago, but that was Headingley. I looked up their batting lineup and it was crap. But their bowling had AMir, Gul and Asif. Spinner wasn't needed. This time their bowling doesn't inspire confidence, though im always scared of betting against them because you never know.

I think the reason most of yu always call the England bowling crap is because you know the team well and its your team, so its natural you criticize. But I don't know how you could call Anderson, Broad and Wood/Woakes bad. Surely against this batting lineup they cannot be called poor like juce said. Watch out for Imam(Inzi's nephew) and Fahim though.
By:
jucel69
When: 23 May 18 13:35
AB retires, what a kick in the team for a transitioning SA team
By:
tomtimtum
When: 23 May 18 13:52

May 23, 2018 -- 1:35PM, jucel69 wrote:

Shame to see AB go, obviously more interested in chasing the white ball cash.

By:
GRANTCKING
When: 23 May 18 13:55
just test cricket yeh? not one day stuff
By:
Cardinal Scott
When: 23 May 18 13:56

May 23, 2018 -- 1:35PM, jucel69 wrote:

Perfect time to go.......brilliant displays v India and Aus and average stays over 50 in 2 formats.  All Time Great

By:
Cardinal Scott
When: 23 May 18 13:56

May 23, 2018 -- 1:55PM, GRANTCKING wrote:

just test cricket yeh? not one day stuff

Everything!

By:
detraveller
When: 23 May 18 13:57
Another guy who fell to quota, but in a different way. Should have retired in 2015.
By:
mafeking
When: 23 May 18 14:01
woakes record at home is very good. just been absolutely dire on tour
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 23 May 18 14:05
Yeah real shame,

Test Cricket needs to wake up a little. If only England, Aus and India take Test cricket seriously ( and India only when they are good! ) it will fall apart.

The money needs to be shared around better with players.coaches and grounds receiving better help. We can see West Indies have some fine players who have to make their living playing white ball stuff and their Board does not understand this and will not compromise.

I am actually shocked a little that Butler accepted the recall. He imho should have seen the season out for RR's and made himself available for England when he had finished. England could quite easy drop him after one Test.

England's arrogance and ignorance has lead India going down the same route...Might is Right and money talks. Well now they are the Paymaster General. England and India could easily have sorted out the IPL and Test Matches not concurring but NO. Billy Big Bollocks in each Country wanted to show how big his bollocks were!

White ball cricket has a place and should run in conjunction with Test Matches, not in competition.

I want to see WI, SL and SA compete in Test Cricket, even Pakistan! Greed is not good in Cricket! oh and I don't blame the players!
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 23 May 18 14:26

May 23, 2018 -- 1:56PM, Cardinal Scott wrote:

May 23, 2018 --  1:55PM, GRANTCKING wrote:just test cricket yeh? not one day stuffEverything!

Cry ffs I applied for tickets for SA v SL at durham next year and was hoping to see AB3

By:
VardonVoo.
When: 24 May 18 02:55
A touch more rain on the forecast map than I would have expected
from looking at the draw odds, even allowing for good drainage
at Lord's. Could possibly be a bit stop-starty on a couple of days.
Not sure why the draw recovered to 5.8 from a dip to 5.2 earlier on Weds evening.

Currently raining heavily and thundering in South London.
By:
jucel69
When: 24 May 18 04:02
Lords virtually drains in seconds. Rain on the first day in England very rarely moves the odds, as the drainage & long evenings allow plenty of time to be caught up
By:
jucel69
When: 24 May 18 04:10
Haven't had any substantial rain in English test matches for years now.
By:
TerryHurlock
When: 24 May 18 05:44
certainly been hammering down overnight here in south london...stopped at the mo but very grey and grim
apparently sky sports news is live from lords from 6am,not sure if its all pre recorded guff but worth tuning in to see
have a mate working in Kensington from 8am so he might come in useful...no bet for me yet
By:
TerryHurlock
When: 24 May 18 06:06
sky live from lords...been plenty of rain but sky reporters saying it will clear on time...
weather been great for last couple of weeks too,soon as the 1st test arrives so does the rain,good ol blightyHappy
By:
jucel69
When: 24 May 18 06:46
and if it isn't raining, it becomes perfect for the bowlers
By:
VardonVoo.
When: 24 May 18 08:40
This isn't "dry overcast", jucel. This is intermittent but lengthy
periods of light rain and drizzle. Keeping the ball dry could be a problem.
By:
appformat
When: 24 May 18 09:17
England usually trade at bigger odds in-play. infact, i cant remember a time when they didn't. the bookies must love taking money on them pre-match.
1.5 lay to back of England for me for starters.
GL chaps.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 24 May 18 09:58

May 24, 2018 -- 9:17AM, appformat wrote:

England usually trade at bigger odds in-play. infact, i cant remember a time when they didn't. the bookies must love taking money on them pre-match.1.5 lay to back of England for me for starters.GL chaps.

Fair enough although pretty certain that at least one of the WI tests was pretty much a train. Against roughly equal sides an England lay to back is reasonable but the market often loves them even if they lose wickets so doesn’t always work well if England bats, even on the occasions where you feel it ought to.

By:
jucel69
When: 24 May 18 10:00

May 24, 2018 -- 9:58AM, Fatslogger wrote:

May 24, 2018 --  9:17AM, appformat wrote:England usually trade at bigger odds in-play. infact, i cant remember a time when they didn't. the bookies must love taking money on them pre-match.1.5 lay to back of England for me for starters.GL chaps.Fair enough although pretty certain that at least one of the WI tests was pretty much a train. Against roughly equal sides an England lay to back is reasonable but the market often loves them even if they lose wickets so doesn’t always work well if England bats, even on the occasions where you feel it ought to.

Yeh they mainly move quickly when they are bowling (and not taking wickets, obviously!). When they are batting, it's a brick wall job

By:
Fatslogger
When: 24 May 18 10:03

May 24, 2018 -- 4:10AM, jucel69 wrote:

Haven't had any substantial rain in English test matches for years now.

It’s pretty unusual to get any England tests drawn, including at Lord’s, as you said further up the thread. This game:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8484/scorecard/913617/england-vs-sri-lanka-3rd-investec-test/

was badly rain affected though, with smatterings of bad weather before day 5 then a near total rain off. I traded it like a cretin and ended up on the wrong side of a £5k hammering when the final day was, slightly unexpectedly, a near washout. Draw got near to 4s evening day 4 too, as Cook made an unusually adventurous declaration. I didn’t take any draw at that point as felt SL would lose a wicket at any moment.

By:
Fatslogger
When: 24 May 18 10:04
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8484/scorecard/913617/england-vs-sri-lanka-3rd-investec-test
By:
Fatslogger
God this forum software is rubbish, isn’t it?
By:
jucel69
dire!
By:
jucel69
When: 24 May 18 10:09
It seems forever ago since we had a decent left arm fast medium. Sidebotham was the last 'ok' leftie & not much else in my lifetime!
Page 1 of 43  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 43 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com