Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
pxb
11 Oct 15 23:06
| Topic/replies: 8,019 | Blogger: pxb's blog
Pakistan unbeaten in the 7 Tests played here (3 draws), and have made some big scores.

I don't see England breaking that pattern, and this is an England lay, as the draw could be a runner if Pak bat first.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 20 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 779
By:
mafeking
When: 12 Oct 15 00:57
throw in england having a horrible recent record in opening away tests which is not surprising considering the farcical nature of the 2 warm up games they've had and they don't seem very sure of their team either

moeen ali opening has gotta be a mistake especially when there's no way he'll be doing it in south africa. not fair either when you're expecting him to bowl 20 overs a day as well. seems they might leave out buttler to try and squeeze taylor in too
By:
dibdob
When: 12 Oct 15 01:45
Should have picked Hales as an opener, dropped butler, given the gloves to Bairstowe and bat him at 5 and Moeen at 7. Or swap around Moeen and Bairstowe as he is a very good player of spin.

For the South Africa series drop Rashid (or maybe even Moeen if Rashid out perfoms him with the ball and bat) and bring Butler back in and bat him at 8.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 12 Oct 15 08:42
Difficult one for England on selection with the only good option as second opener is Root, whom they're not going to move from the middle order where he's been so successful. Certainly England looks short to me at 3.35. There's talent in the England side but it's mostly either not in form or not suited to the conditions or both.
By:
DStyle
When: 12 Oct 15 10:04
Jesus christ England have made a ****g pigs ear of the second opener spot over the last 4 years.

It should have been Compton, who should never have been dropped, until Hales was ready. The indecision over him and his handling may well have wrecked him.

the choice of keeper rests on who is the better gloveman, rather than batsmen. there's going to be so long spells against spin in the heat and a missed chance against their engine room is worth a lot more than an extra 20 runs with the bat.

I also agree with Vaughan that Anderson shouldn't play. But he will. But he shouldn't.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 12 Oct 15 12:20
Fairnes to England selectors, absolutely nobody has looked good enough in the opening slot. Root has been the best, funnily enough. Compton wasn't terrible overall but he wasn't good enough either. If we'd known how poor other options would have been we'd have stuck with him but he averaged low 30s.

Not sure about Jimmy. He's got a good enough tool kit as a bowler to be useful in UAE but it may be a dust bowl too far for him, yes.
By:
twizzle22
When: 12 Oct 15 12:24
Shah probably out of the match due to a back injury so what do Ladbrokes do?...shorten up every other bowler yet leave Shah's odds as they were..****!
By:
DStyle
When: 12 Oct 15 13:42
Compton was dropped after one poor series in early english summer conditions, with Flower publicly dangling the sword of damocles over his head before the series even started.

That he had just scored back to back hundreds against the kiwis in New Zealand seemingly counted for naught.

The rules were pretty simple: If you were liked, you could enjoy privileged selection; if you weren't you'd better not have a bad couple of months.

I've said it before: KP-gate provided the most wonderful distraction from so many of Flower's other equally heinous misdemeanors in the final two years of his tenure.
By:
Foinavon
When: 12 Oct 15 16:36
I think Pakistan are often underrated on the exchange and I was considering backing them when I saw that Yasir Shah was doubtful. I therefore bow to pxb's excellent judgement and have layed England in order to keep the draw onside.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 12 Oct 15 16:38
Not going to defend a lot of Flower's later efforts including his man management of Compton but if you're only averaging low 30s and look like you really struggle to score against international attacks, there's only so much complaining you can do about being dropped. Compton just didn't look like a player who was going to hurt bowlers, which would have been fine if he'd been better at obdurately blunting the new ball but he was pretty inconsistent at doing that too. He was unlucky to be judged on a final game when he was hampered by injury though.
By:
mafeking
When: 12 Oct 15 16:53
a massive overreaction to the yasir shah injury surely. england down from 3.7 earlier to sub 3s now. they're still woefully prepared for a such a difficult challenge in alien conditions. michael vaughan says it's the hottest temperatures he's ever encountered on an england tour
By:
Injera
When: 12 Oct 15 18:06
Harsh to judge Compton's average over just 9 Tests.

If I was going to criticise him it would be for not scoring more County tons (24).

I know so little about the current Pakistan team that I'm unsure what to do at present.

What I do know is that they defy all logic and continue to produce a conveyor belt of talent, despite poverty, terrorism, bans etc.

Cant't wait for this to start. Love
By:
posy
When: 12 Oct 15 18:37
Have struck first bet...layed England at 2.96.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 12 Oct 15 19:15
Got on a lay at 3.25 thinking we'd already seen all the Shah dip. Can't believe England matched at 2.9. I belatedly tried to get some more at 2.92.
By:
Fatslogger
When: 12 Oct 15 19:15
Got on a lay at 3.25 thinking we'd already seen all the Shah dip. Can't believe England matched at 2.9. I belatedly tried to get some more at 2.92.
By:
pxb
When: 12 Oct 15 19:21
Shah a real loss for Pak. But makes the draw more likely.
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 12 Oct 15 19:28
I'm joining the England lay camp. Is Shah actually ruled out yet?

Will also wait for the toss. Might have a looksy before committing any lucre.
By:
pxb
When: 12 Oct 15 19:51
Shah's fitness will be evaluated in the morning. But I never like bowlers less than 100% playing. Much better to play a fit replacement than have him injured during the match and be down a bowler.
By:
cricketnut2
When: 12 Oct 15 23:24
Anderson, Broad and Wood, will get zilch from the pitch, so it will be down to the spin bowlers to get wickets, can we, will we, I doubt it somehow, we are generally poor in the Sub-Continent and I cant see this changing in this Test Series.
By:
sonofshinner
When: 13 Oct 15 08:21
england lay for me @3.4
By:
Fatslogger
When: 13 Oct 15 08:26
Distracted by getting my daughter breakfast so didn't quite get round to backing England at 4.7 (as in had the bet out but not at the right time) before play to close out my lay. That did seem a bit long. Have instead backed England at 3.4 aiming to leave a bit of green on them. Nothing much, as expected, in the track but I don't mind the look of this England attack and wouldn't be surprised to see them chisel a few more out.
By:
twizzle22
When: 13 Oct 15 08:45
Play held up.....rumours are that a Pakistan supporter is on his way to the ground
By:
sonofshinner
When: 13 Oct 15 08:51
came out my england lay..cannot be arsed thought it was in pakistan..middle east in front of paltry crowds.never the the less..showed a profit.lol.
By:
DStyle
When: 13 Oct 15 09:43
ffs Cook you pathetic coward, keep rashid on.
By:
DStyle
When: 13 Oct 15 10:06
absolutely no doubt in my mind that hafeez was, entirely correctly, targetting rashid there, coming down the track and playing against the spin.

Cook has to back his new bowler in those conditions, not back off.
By:
cricketnut2
When: 13 Oct 15 10:44
Rashid, I saw him bowl, in the last County Championship game against Sussex, he bowled some dross, in his overs, but ended up with 4 wickets, so he's going to get hit, but all we can hope is that he can get wickets at this level, as well, as he certainly spins the ball big time.
By:
trader pj
When: 13 Oct 15 10:52
Draw will be odds on at some point for sure looking at this slow pitch
By:
Mike-lfc
When: 13 Oct 15 11:00
Draw 2/1
Pakistan v England 1st Test
Pakistan v England -
Single Win (1 x 63.92 GBP)
Stake:    63.92 GBP
Est. returns:    191.76 GBP
By:
Mike-lfc
When: 13 Oct 15 11:00
my only bet in this test
By:
scissors
When: 13 Oct 15 11:38
HELP please :-
In UK time
What time is the next break in play please ??
By:
DStyle
When: 13 Oct 15 11:38
cricketnut2 13 Oct 15 09:44 
Rashid, I saw him bowl, in the last County Championship game against Sussex, he bowled some dross, in his overs, but ended up with 4 wickets, so he's going to get hit, but all we can hope is that he can get wickets at this level, as well, as he certainly spins the ball big time.

Stuart McGill bowled lots of dross too. Most leg spinners do. Bowlers like Kumble and Warne are as rare as hen's teeth, yet somehow Cook is afraid to bowl someone who is getting targetted and hit.

If Hafeez wants to sweep against the turn, i say let him, he'll make a mistake eventually. Ali is no threat with his little darts, but Cook prefers him because he's keeping the rate down. But what does that mean? That they'll be on 600 by the close tomorrow instead of an hour before?
By:
scissors
When: 13 Oct 15 11:39
Assistance ^^ ??
By:
cricketnut2
When: 13 Oct 15 11:43
well, without their main spin bowler, that could well be the outcome, the trouble is, it looks like England will be fielding for nearly 2 days in 90 degree heat and the batsmen will come out tired and will make mistakes, later tomorrow evening. If Pakistan got 2or 3 wickets tomorrow evening, then England will find themselves in trouble.
By:
hologon
When: 13 Oct 15 11:45
scissors drinks now
By:
cricketnut2
When: 13 Oct 15 11:57

Oct 13, 2015 -- 11:38AM, DStyle wrote:

cricketnut2 13 Oct 15 09:44  Rashid, I saw him bowl, in the last County Championship game against Sussex, he bowled some dross, in his overs, but ended up with 4 wickets, so he's going to get hit, but all we can hope is that he can get wickets at this level, as well, as he certainly spins the ball big time.Stuart McGill bowled lots of dross too. Most leg spinners do. Bowlers like Kumble and Warne are as rare as hen's teeth, yet somehow Cook is afraid to bowl someone who is getting targetted and hit.If Hafeez wants to sweep against the turn, i say let him, he'll make a mistake eventually. Ali is no threat with his little darts, but Cook prefers him because he's keeping the rate down. But what does that mean? That they'll be on 600 by the close tomorrow instead of an hour before?

Yes I know that, bowling out of the back of the hand is very difficult to do, so obviously the run rate rises, when he bowls, but I am hoping he can take wickets at this level. He nearly got one last over and this is the thing that favours Rashid, as well as the fact that he does turn the ball.

By:
gnashersblackpool
When: 13 Oct 15 12:00
tea is 11.40 uktime.
By:
Foinavon
When: 13 Oct 15 12:05
Have cashed out now for 80% of the potential profit, that's good enough for me. Will look to go back in again should anything dramatic happen (which looks unlikely today at least).
By:
scissors
When: 13 Oct 15 12:28
Thanks Holigon + Gnashers

Espec Gnashers

Had a bet on 2nd session runs Grin
By:
rommel
When: 13 Oct 15 12:39
any fancies on the zim/ire game,train for ire?tempted by zim price must admit
By:
Mike-lfc