Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Joel
29 Nov 12 05:08
| Topic/replies: 34,629 | Blogger: Joel's blog
Ricky Ponting has announced his retirement from Test cricket.

Ponting said the Perth Test will be the final of his career.

"This Test match will be my last," Ponting told a press conference on Thursday.

The 37-year-old has been under immense pressure to keep his place in the Australian side with a poor start to the summer against the Proteas in which he's made only 20 runs in three innings.

Advertisement

‘‘Over the last couple of weeks my level of performance hasn’t been good enough,’’ he said.

‘‘My passion and love for the game hasn’t changed.

"At the end of the day (the decision) was based on my results.

‘‘In this series so far they have not been up to the level required of batsmen and players in the Australian team.

‘‘I’m glad I have got the opportunity to finish on my terms.’’

Ponting said he would in no way be distracted for the series-deciding Test against South Africa where the world No.1 ranking is up for grabs.

‘‘I want this win more than any other game I have played in.’’

Ponting will equal Steve Waugh’s mark of 168 Test matches in this match, the most in the history of Australian cricket.

The entire Australian squad turned up for the press conference on Thursday in Perth where Ponting made his announcement.

Australian skipper Michael Clarke broke down as he addressed Ponting’s retirement.
‘‘I didn’t have a feeling it was coming,’’ Clarke said.

‘‘Ricky spoke to me after the Adelaide Test match . . . he’d made his decision over the last little while, the last few days. The boys are obviously hurting at the moment. He’s been an amazing player for a long time.’’

Turning 38 next month, Ponting is the highest Australian run-scorer of all time and has been described as the greatest Australian batsman outside Sir Donald Bradman.

The Tasmanian has 13,336 Test runs to his name, only Indian Sachin Tendulkar has scored more in the history of cricket.

Ponting bought what now appears to be an extra year to his career last summer with a stellar series against India in which he scored two centuries on the way to a series tally of 544 runs at a princely average of 108.

His century at the SCG ended a run of 33 innings, spanning two years, without a ton.

Ponting, however, was unable to carry that hot form to the Caribbean where dogged by bad luck and freak dismissals he made just one half-century from six innings, averaging a modest 24.33.

A strong start to the summer in the Shield for Tasmania left him with high hopes he could return to his best against the world No.1 South Africans but pressure on his position in the side grew after scores of zero, four and 16 in the first two Tests.

Ponting, who led Australia to three Ashes defeats, had been hoping to continue his career to next year's twin series against England.
Australia's failure to regain the urn two years ago was his final series as Test captain.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ponting-quits-test-cricket-20121129-2ahwd.html#ixzz2Da6QkLXn

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ponting-quits-test-cricket-20121129-2ahwd.html#ixzz2Da6NO500
Pause Switch to Standard View Ponting quits Test cricket
Show More
Report miss anomaly November 29, 2012 4:36 AM GMT
Probably hung around too long, but what a career he had. One of the best bats I've ever seen up until about 2009.
Report rob_dylan November 29, 2012 5:07 AM GMT
A good decision.  Best aussie batsman ive ever seen.
Report Joel November 29, 2012 5:09 AM GMT
Agree it is a good decision. Get someone younger in before the Ashes.
Report rob_dylan November 29, 2012 5:13 AM GMT
I actually liked him, proper gritty when he had to be.  Great innings at old trafford in 2005.  Thought he took his three ashes defeats with great dignity.  Aside from a couple of on the field outbursts, he was always generous in his interviews despite the fact he mustve been really rather upset.
Report Joel November 29, 2012 5:24 AM GMT
I didn't like the way he carried on in the field sometimes, but he was a decent bat. Probably in the top 50 or so.
Report rob_dylan November 29, 2012 5:30 AM GMT
Top 50... Is that a back hander?  2nd best aussie batsman of alltime in the opinion of many.
Report rob_dylan November 29, 2012 5:35 AM GMT
His onfield outbursts when he rus run out in 2005 and that one in 2010/11 (was it following a batsman being recalled cos of a no ball i cant quite recall) just showed how important it was to him, and were great fun for England fans.  Though he was wrong to behave like that I just enjoyed it, he was a good egg generally, and I always said that even though many English fans used to hate him.  Didnt he average 70 for a five year period in the early noughties... The best batsman in the world at that time.
Report elisjohn November 29, 2012 6:44 AM GMT
agree with joel, top 50 ,in an era of poor bowlers as well
Report miss anomaly November 29, 2012 8:27 AM GMT
Top-50... You blokes are having a larf.
Report Joel November 29, 2012 10:33 AM GMT
Top 100?
Report SecondComing November 29, 2012 11:49 AM GMT
top 50 LaughLaughLaugh

wind up if there was ever one, one of the greatest of all time
Report STEPTOES YARD November 29, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
I actually thought he had a decent sense of humour and barring odd moment on the field came across very well in post match interviews. He was happy to poke fun at himself in 05,09 for example.
Report Whisperingdeath November 29, 2012 4:33 PM GMT
Hung on too long like Tendulkar but he earned the right to do so.

A truly great career.  Perhaps a lttle sad to see the last couple of years as we have probably forgotten the way he took on and destroyed most bowling attacks he faced.

Probably ranks along side Tendulkar and Lara from his generation and there or there abouts with the likes of Hammond, Worrell and Headley.  Tough call really.  we have been on the end of so many of his beatings it is somehow hard to like the bloke and I accept that is unfair.  I am sure he has a great sense of humour it would have been nice to see more of it.
Report Injera November 29, 2012 6:04 PM GMT
An amazing record. Wonderful player.

His reaction to the Pratt run out was understandable. Sharp practice by England to manipulate the strength of the fielding. (wonderful entertainment though!)

Always gracious in defeat, never sullen, always feisty and passionate about the game.

He played it hard but very fair. Oz selectors too scared to give the captaincy to Warne so they went for Punter who wasn't the best, but he got better.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 29, 2012 6:52 PM GMT
If I were marooned on a desert island and allowed just one video, I would choose the Gary Pratt run out and Ponting's walk back to the pavilion.

Thank you, Punter.Grin
Report Kelly November 30, 2012 1:29 AM GMT
I find it hard to classify Ponting as a batsman .  Know his run record is brilliant , but it was over a very long time . A couple of his recent dismissals have been very strange looking and bowing out this week is probably a good call .  If Clarke had not been shoring up the batting the general performance of the team and Ponting in particular would have been under the microscope big time .

Good captain , in a period where Australia had some very good players , and some pretty average ones also , reckon he got the best out of them .  I liked him as a person in so far as you can guage from what we see on the TV .  But I dont have him in my top 10  batsmen of all time  , there is a lot of competition for that accolade !  Hope he has a good one this week , nice to go out with a ton .
Report STEPTOES YARD November 30, 2012 12:52 PM GMT
think thats risk you run of hanging on too long, people begin to forget just how bloody good you were.
Report d13phe November 30, 2012 1:07 PM GMT
remarkable player and when the dust has settled we can remember him as one of the best and most exciting batsman to watch

Was sad to see him lose it a bit recently but in his prime can anyone remember a better player of the short ball in the Test Cricket?  I could watch him pull and cut all day long.

Hope he gets signed up to commentate as he always came across as a genuine straight talking player and his insight would be interesting.
Report vin2385 November 30, 2012 10:17 PM GMT
Gary Pratt
Report logroller December 1, 2012 1:30 AM GMT
i would venture to say the most popular captain in the last 40years
Report Footiefan111 December 1, 2012 2:12 AM GMT
2 ashes series defeats as captain  never helped him, but he was a very good player i remember him playing in the ashes series in England during 1997 he looked very talented back then had every shot in the book
Report Whisperingdeath December 1, 2012 12:23 PM GMT
People seem to forget that in 2005 Aussie lost beacuse Pidgeon stepped on a crickey ball.  He missed the 2 tests England won.  History might have been kinder to Monsieur Ricky if McGrath had not sprained his ankle.  Small margins,
Report STEPTOES YARD December 1, 2012 12:31 PM GMT
History will be kind enough to ponting.

100+ test wins outstanding. 80+ avg in the 06/07 5-0. 3 world cups.

Yes he lost ashes series but you cant win them all.
Report miss anomaly December 1, 2012 12:51 PM GMT
Only non-Aussies could let Punter off the THREE Ashes losses Angry
Report screaming from beneaththewaves December 2, 2012 12:03 AM GMT
In 2006-7 England lost their best batsman Marcus Trescothick and their best captain Michael Vaughan. They were left with a p1ss artist of a captain, who turned the Tour into one big team pub crawl.

History might have been harsher to Monsieur Ricky etc., etc. ...

Anyway, it doesn't say much for the team Ponting built if just one injury to one player was enough to shatter that team.
Report miss anomaly December 2, 2012 4:57 AM GMT
Yeah, because captains build teams from clay...
Report Narro75 December 2, 2012 10:48 AM GMT
Superb player and would easy be in top6 batsmen of the last 20 years.  He sadly like many fine players has dropped away in the last few years ( Tendulkar the same ) (G.Chappell the same). Won two World Cups without losing a game.  The century he scored at Old Trafford under enormous pressure will go down as his best innings for me.

By the way all those people tossing up the Gary Pratt run out - i can understand the English taking great delight in the dismissal and Ponting's reaction but it should never be forgotten that what Duncan Fletcher was doing was against the spirit if the game and Ponting had every right to be pissed off. Take your fast bowler after 5 overs and give him a rest and bring on a gun fielder and in the mean time Fletcher can speak to his bowler about where to bowl as he puts his feet up.

Here's hoping Ponting finishes with a bang in the 2nd Innings and i congratulate him on a brilliant career.
Report scliffor December 2, 2012 11:31 AM GMT
Whilst England did use 12th men in a way that stretched the spirit of cricket in the 2005 Ashes, that doesn't apply when Pratt ran out Ponting. He was on for Simon Jones who was sufficiently badly injured that he never played test cricket again.

Still they should change the rules on substitutes such that no 12 man is allowed for 4 complete overs over a player goes off. Doubt players would go off unless injured in that case.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves December 2, 2012 12:44 PM GMT
If you want to pin the blame on anyone for the Gary Pratt run out, Damien Martyn was surely the villain. If the man on strike just taps the ball towards point and calls for a single which sees his skipper run out with a direct hit, then surely the batsman, not the fielder, should be the target of his captain's abuse. What was England supposed to do? Send out a 12th man with instructions to miss the stumps?

But then, it was the very fact that Ponting didn't realize this at the time, and made the colossal blunder of publicly directing his four-letter fusillade at Fletcher instead, which made it so funny and such a triumphant moment for England.

I did read somewhere that Ponting later apologized to Pratt and gave him something like a signed bat, but who cares? Nothing can take away that minute of magic.
Report miss anomaly December 2, 2012 1:44 PM GMT
How about every Ashes from 1989 to 2003? Laugh
Report cricketjon December 2, 2012 2:26 PM GMT
Screaming
He gave Gary Pratt his boots.
Punter is a top man. Played with passion and could dominate. Will never forget the chasedown Aus v SA in Jan 06 on the 5th day.
As for McGrath stepped on a ball, thats very if my aunty had nuts she'd be my uncle. England went to Aus without thorpe, gough and flintoff in 2002, without trescothick, s jones and vaughan in 2006. It wouldnt have made a difference to the result but to say mcgrath stepped on a ball and lost the ashes, wheres yer squad?
Report Lix December 2, 2012 3:18 PM GMT
yeah... but... england won the 2nd test at Edge by 2 runs. think McGrath worth more than 2 runs. Happy to
accept Aus would've won with him. not that it matters.
Report parrys December 3, 2012 2:24 PM GMT
when does he fight Flintoff ?
Report nicky27 December 3, 2012 4:37 PM GMT
Ricky Ponting was, without doubt , a great test batsman ...however, for the last couple of years he  has  performed well below his career average  ...and I have been cashing in , backing unders every time he has played Cool...OK , so he had some innings against the Kiwis earlier this year , but apart from that I would imagine he's averaging less than 15 in test matches over the last 2 or 3 years ... the markets are simply going with sentiment rather than logic ...watch out for Sachin as well , because the same can be said of TLM in the twilight of his career... I'll be backing unders every time he plays now until he finally announces his retirement , Ok, so he might have a few decent innings left in him , but when a batsman reaches 40 the sharpness and the ability to see the ball and play each delivery on its merits seems to depart ...
Report flat16 December 3, 2012 8:46 PM GMT
sure he was a great bat to watch ,numbers superb also ,at his prime very fine fielder ,what i shall remember
him for was a superb technical batsman ,remember telling young players........just watch ponting ,
Report Footiefan111 December 3, 2012 10:24 PM GMT
it is really sad to see him go it would have been better if he would have retired after the ashes series in England
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com