Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
spoonman
23 Feb 12 17:19
| Topic/replies: 29 | Blogger: spoonman's blog
Pause Switch to Standard View Reaaly dead in here did BF remove all...
Show More
Report bramblebush February 23, 2012 10:56 PM GMT
All the real posters gave up after the broken English brigade took over this forum
Report Betfair Community Manager 2 February 24, 2012 11:30 AM GMT
Can I nudge you towards the 'Twitter' thread where there's been some discussion about what we're doing to rectify what you refer to here?
Report SrgtDouche February 24, 2012 2:35 PM GMT
aww some of the English lot in here cannot seem to stand third word citizens on the same forum... well you know what it works different these days. Get over it
Report dougydougy. February 24, 2012 2:39 PM GMT
not sure it's an issue of where people are from for a lot of the old posters think it's more an issue of useful information. If you have to sift through a load of complete nonsense to find any comment of note, then the forum will have lost its usefulness and purpose for many people.
Report SrgtDouche February 24, 2012 2:42 PM GMT
blame the moderators and the ones in charge of the forum... they have not even bothered to warn any of those idiots in the process. No wonder I have noticed people discussing about mafia and fixed matches on here... it's a disgrace
Report dougydougy. February 24, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
that info would come under the useful bracket though srgt Grin
Report rohit79 February 24, 2012 3:19 PM GMT
srgtDouche - Better late than never I say.  Much better quality discussion in the Pak Eng T20 game yesterday.
Report Sifon February 25, 2012 2:43 AM GMT
GFC
Report BigMig February 25, 2012 10:47 AM GMT
Anybody who is anybody knows where to find the places to which the decent posters have re-located.
Report BigMig February 25, 2012 11:21 AM GMT
Actually, that was a bit of a daft comment.

I hadn't seen the other thread about twitter.

Twitter is certainly the best resource now for instant info and betting chat. I can't imagine anybody betting seriously without using twitter.

There are also other invite-only forums.
Report Injera February 25, 2012 12:25 PM GMT
A forum for chat whether it be this place or twitter is merely a talking shop imo.

Nice to share views etc but ultimately betting/trading is a numbers game and knowledge of a sport always comes secondary to the maths of it all.

That's why, on all the sports forums, there is v.little said about the maths and a lot of things said about the particular game. Why divulge tips to people you hardly know?
Report BigMig February 25, 2012 12:30 PM GMT
Twitter provides instant info.

If Kevin Pietersen or Umar Gul or anybody else is out of tonight's T20 match, it will be on twitter within seconds.
Report tonyf February 25, 2012 12:38 PM GMT
how do you access the info BigMig
Report tonyf February 25, 2012 12:39 PM GMT
also I would like to get views of innocent bystander, Phil279 and the rest
Report tonyf February 25, 2012 12:40 PM GMT
I miss their analysis of more complex betting strategies
Report worcester sauce February 25, 2012 12:40 PM GMT
Injera all betting is about is about the maths and the percentages spotting when a market is wrong
is crucial to the success or failure of any trader
Report BigMig February 25, 2012 12:42 PM GMT
Anybody can join twitter.

It takes only a moment to open an account.

Then start following people.

Begin with a few England cricketers, some cricket journos and broadcasters and the forumites who used to be on here.

Just search their old forum names.
Report tonyf February 25, 2012 12:43 PM GMT
thanks BG
Report TwoTonTed February 25, 2012 1:02 PM GMT
the LEGEND that was/is spoonyLove

pink champagne?Grin
Report Injera February 25, 2012 1:48 PM GMT
Agreed WS. That's the point I'm making about chatting either here or twitter or elsewhere.

The real, mostly unheard discussion is the one about the staking/odds/probabilities/money management.

I hear what you're saying about knowing when a price is wrong but often it helps the trader if the market is actually right, cos that can point to the winner!
Report Lix February 25, 2012 2:10 PM GMT
Nah Teddles, you're thinking of Senseman and his ballerina  GrinLove
Report matt106 February 25, 2012 7:39 PM GMT
Agreed with all of the above. this forum has gone downhill rapidly in the last 2 years, used to be a staple part of trading a match, now I barely give it a glance
Report cricketjon February 25, 2012 8:49 PM GMT
I agree with all of the below as well
Report Deadly Earnest February 26, 2012 12:02 AM GMT
BigMig
25 Feb 12 11:21 Joined: 30 Apr 05 | Topic/replies: 2,279 | Blogger: BigMig's blog
Actually, that was a bit of a daft comment.

I hadn't seen the other thread about twitter.

Twitter is certainly the best resource now for instant info and betting chat. [b]I can't imagine anybody betting seriously without using twitter.

There are also other invite-only forums.[/b]

Just to comment on the point the BigMig makes here, and not to be disrespectful, because I am sure BigMig writes sincerely here.

It is just that I hold a different view.  I can't bet on here any longer, but I think I could safely say most people would consider my cricket betting 'serious.'   I refuse to be a member of any invite-only forum, certainly not unless I am the one choosing who is in and out.  I do not have a Twitter account, nor am I likely to ever have one.  The Twitterati probably gain small advantages here and there, and perhaps these are not to be underrated, but in my opinion, the best thing you can ever do is think for yourself.  And I mean really think. 

No matter how much money you make betting, you never feel you are maximising your returns, but don't ever let anyone fool you into believing there is not room for a slow acting, deep thinking person to make a decent profit.  And Twitter is no place for such a person. 

It does make me laugh a little when people recall days gone by on here as if the posters long gone were somehow better than those currently making earnest discussions here.  I recall plenty of posts from some of the more prominent types that amounted to little more than "6666666" "wiiiiiiicketttttt" and the unforgettably mindless "fliiiippppp fllllloppppp."

Anyone can think.  There is no need for the current crop of posters on here to be made feel inferior to others who came and went before them.  This is not to say there were not excellent posters here in the past who no longer post here.  But there were plenty of self promoters as well.
Report rohit79 February 26, 2012 3:50 AM GMT
So who were these greats who have stopped posting for over a year. The only 2 names I hear are Innoceent Bystander and Big Popadddum. Were they really that good. I follow Innocent Bystander on twitter and while he seems very well connected, tweets a lot and watches a lot of games I have never read a hugely insightful tweet from him yet (Maybe due to character restrictions) that I haave not seen from the likes of the top guys here
Report rob_dylan February 26, 2012 9:43 AM GMT
Big poppapom was a screaming self promoter, not been seen since he dissed trott and cook pre 2010/11 ashes... Saying, memorably " they are not good batsmen and will not do well".  Good talker though I'll give him that.

Ricardo and ib are sadly missed, but they still post I think, very very seldom though.  Grim reaper ive seen on chit chat now and then.  DE has a point about the old days still having it's share of mugs, but recently it really has been overkill.  Big Joe I could stand, but recently we've had three or four big joes, but somewhat remarkably, they seem less intelligent, more one eyed and spend more time on the forum.  MUGS
Report Sterling Morrison February 26, 2012 10:35 AM GMT
Who was the guy with the whirlpool that lost fortunes on the golf?

The old memory is going, I liked him.
Report worcester sauce February 26, 2012 11:28 AM GMT
chris rogers sterling
Report TwoTonTed February 26, 2012 6:22 PM GMT
of course Lix, how could I forget!
Report Deadly Earnest February 26, 2012 9:56 PM GMT
I am with Rohit regarding IB, I rarely if ever read anything showing much in the way of insight on here, but there is no doubt many others found his presence(strangely, imo) on here reassuring.

Bigprimadonnapump liked to take a position and argue it, I always have respect for that, but of course any of us that make assessments will be shown to be wrong at times.  Most of his assessments were decent enough, though there were many I didn't agree with.  His aggressive posting style was not to my taste, but again, it seemed to sit well with some others.  All of the evidence at the time did suggest Trott failing in Australia, and there was plenty to suggest Cook might, but what none of us could have reasonably predicted was how poorly Australia would bowl in that series and how well that pair would exploit this, so I have some sympathy for the big bloke on this one.  Perhaps he had more trouble owning his incorrect assessments than the rest of us, some people cannot stand the thought of being shown to be wrong, others thrive on it.
Report rolo2 February 26, 2012 11:01 PM GMT
problem with asian_runlines' posts are that they are not topics that can be discusses and that he posts the same thing over and over again, just with different words.

this is not a shoutbox, it is a forum - you post a topic and then we discuss it.

consider i want to start a topic "does south africa have the biggest bottle in cricket?".
now the next day i start another topic "is south africa the best cricket team under pressure?"
and then the same afternoon i start another one "do south africa perform the best when the pressure is on?"

this is excatly what asian_runlines is doing - he is saying the same thing over and over again, and a forum cannot be constructive and functions well if people are going on like that.

this is not a content issue most of the time with these fellas, its about making the forum unreadable and harder to navigate and use by others. it's just selfishness i think is wha it comes down to. Silly
Report Lix February 26, 2012 11:10 PM GMT
rollers Grin
Report BigMig February 27, 2012 12:57 PM GMT
Many of the 'old' brigade of posters are regularly mentioned, sometimes lamented.

Personally, I think the best poster on here was Harry Stamper. Very selective in his posting but his ability to read a game and predict its outcome was unrivalled on this forum imho.

He has not posted for about five years - since he left the UK.

Harry is on twitter but he will be hard to find because Harry Stamper is not his twitter username.
Report rob_dylan February 27, 2012 9:18 PM GMT
Haven't seen mushtaq on here for yonks
Report cricketjon March 3, 2012 10:06 AM GMT
any news on "steak breath brown"?
Report TwoTonTed December 28, 2018 11:47 PM GMT
spoony, wherefore art thou?  There's Manipulation happening in Kiwiland as I write
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com