Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
michael knight
04 Jan 10 13:38
| Topic/replies: 2,918 | Blogger: michael knight's blog
AB has played more test matches and a greater number of innings but they share near identical averages and Cook has more 100s and 50s and he's scored all of these as opener or number 3.

Bizarre then that one is heralded as the second coming of the Christ by his countrymen but the other still hasnt cemented his place in the line up in the eyes of many England fans.

Is AB over rated or is Cook a demi god too?
Pause Switch to Standard View Abraham Benjamin de Villiers vs Cook
Show More
Report oitoitoi January 4, 2010 1:42 PM GMT
No Cook is mediocre, has done very little (though he has done a bit) against top class attacks or in tough situations.

AB has improved markedly since his debut, Cook hasn't.

AB's resume includes some awesome knocks:

100 in a successful chase of 400 in australia
200 in a win in India
big 100 in a win in England
big 100 in a win against Aus in SA

Probably forgotten some but yes, AB is the real deal, classic case of stats not telling the whole story. Ian Bell averages over 40 ffs.
Report bohemond January 4, 2010 1:42 PM GMT
well off the top of my head - cook started his test career very well and prior to this series has been going steadily backwards

ab has a reverse graph iirc
Report Lix January 4, 2010 1:47 PM GMT
AB plays half his tests on seamer friendly tracks.
Report dougydougy. January 4, 2010 1:53 PM GMT
AB is a tad overrated, but he's still a far better bat than cook.Numbers aren't always a true reflection of ability.

AB's technique is far better, he scores at a quicker rate and you'd back him to have a bigger influence on the result of a match than cook.

It's a bit like Watson, we all know he's rubbish, got all kinds of technical issues and will never make it as an opening bat in the long run. Bowls dibbly doblers and does very little with the ball and yet his numbers are reasonable at the moment. But when it comes to the big series against real top calss opposition then you'll be able to tell the difference in class between players.
Report Captain Wurzel January 4, 2010 3:29 PM GMT
Cook has done well, he has limitations but has worked on his technique to good effect, averages don't lie and he has scored runs in tough situations. Look at his 95 against Australia at Lords - attacking innings that took the game away from australia.
Report Innocent Bystander January 4, 2010 4:36 PM GMT
MK

I posted that almost verbatim during the 2nd test, I will be suing you for plagiarism ;)
Report oitoitoi January 4, 2010 4:56 PM GMT
It's a bit like Watson, we all know he's rubbish, got all kinds of technical issues and will never make it as an opening bat in the long run. Bowls dibbly doblers and does very little with the ball and yet his numbers are reasonable at the moment. But when it comes to the big series against real top calss opposition then you'll be able to tell the difference in class between players.

Totally agree with you.

Cook's technical problems haven't been solved at all, he has become a better leaver of the ball but he still doesn't move his front foot. IMO AB is just in a different league to Cook. AB can control a game, and he is excellent at building an innings in all situations, tbh over the last 2 years I'd put him in my top 5 batsmen.
Report Max and Paddy January 4, 2010 5:33 PM GMT
oitoitoi 04 Jan 17:56
AB can control a game, and he is excellent at building an innings in all situations, tbh over the last 2 years I'd put him in my top 5 batsmen.

I see Ron Nasty's got a new credit card.
Report kungfucharly January 4, 2010 7:49 PM GMT
It amazes me how short people's memories are when it comes to subjects like this.

Before going any further, I think that both Cook and de Villiers are international class batsman and both fully deserve their place at national level.

England have not seen such an emergence through their international team by one so young as Cook for decades. His stats would back that up.

De Villiers started his international career as an opener and as such was just simply not as good as Cook.

De Villiers went for a long period where he could not buy a half century and has only established himself as a middle order batsman where he has since scored brilliantly.

My argument is that you cannot compare a middle order batsman, which is where de Villiers belongs, to an opener like Cook. An opener needs different qualities to a middle order batsman. De Villiers proves this point by his success in the middle order compared to his lack of success by comparison as an opener.
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics January 5, 2010 1:02 AM GMT

-------------------------------

might just keep this for future reference dougy...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com