Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Super Vixen
04 Jan 10 12:40
| Topic/replies: 674 | Blogger: Super Vixen's blog
For the life of me I cannot understand why captains don't plug this gap - especially in low scoring tight matches.

The number of invaluable runs scored towards the end of an innings - mainly by the tail off thick edges / edges through the slips - is unreal.

Take out your mid on, if they're good enough to straight drive you / punch you off the back foot - fair play!
Pause Switch to Standard View No third man....
Show More
Report cdog January 4, 2010 1:22 PM GMT
I totally agree with this. It can be infuriating the number of 4s that go to that area.
Report oitoitoi January 4, 2010 1:26 PM GMT
agreed
Report loper January 4, 2010 1:29 PM GMT
Take the mid on out and the bowler is less likely to pitch the ball up.

It's not just about saving runs. It's about psychology as well.
Report the nugget January 4, 2010 1:33 PM GMT
been like this for almost ten years now
Report Lix January 4, 2010 1:39 PM GMT
seems like about 40 runs per inns goes down there. Also think batters are better at running iy down there these days as a result of playing so much one day cricket.
Report Super Vixen January 4, 2010 1:40 PM GMT
loper - the runs that tend to go to third man aren't from expansive drives off pitched up balls, they tend to be off back of a length / short balls.

If they can drive a pitched up ball through mid on, let them play it - more likely to get out.

Since I posted this, 44 runs have come through 3rd man / backward point - over 25%.

Not saying a man posted there would have saved them all, but he would have saved a hell of a lot more than the guy standing at mid on, which is a low % wicket taking position.

Only my opinion obviously!
Report johnterry 26 January 4, 2010 1:41 PM GMT
cdog with his sessions runs laying hat on ;)
Report bushy January 4, 2010 1:58 PM GMT
I'm surprised no-one has ever done a proper risk-reward analysis for every fielding position - in terms of runs saved / catches taken etc.

It's not easy because you have to take into account that field positions influence shot selections e.g. slips reduce runs scored through extra cover. However I'd have thought it might make a good project for a maths graduate provided the data is available.

It might turn up a lot of surprises. I would think

(a) third man is underused (sometimes fly slip might be even better)
(b) first slip is overused - with or without 2nd/3rd slips
(c) leg slip might be shown to be underused (or alternatively short fine leg)
(d) leaving the gap Botham bangs on about is massively +EV
(e) mid-off and mid-on are overused
Report Lix January 4, 2010 2:04 PM GMT
I'm sure the England management have done extensive research in this matter :|
Report bushy January 4, 2010 2:06 PM GMT
Lix - if you "can't worry about the weather" in a 20/20 match where a downpour is widely predicted then I doubt very much that you'd be bothered about little things like fielding positions :p
Report Lix January 4, 2010 2:14 PM GMT
there was only a "20% chance" of a shower that day Bushy.

(As a massive blob of rain appears on the radar heading for the oval at the start with a visible big fook off cloud in the background!)

Clowns!
Report Super Vixen January 4, 2010 2:48 PM GMT
Sadly they do analyse these things - to death.

Then they produce a thick fact bulletin which they circulate to every man and his dog - who read it, go "very interesting" and wonder which recycling bin it goes in.
Report Deadly Earnest January 4, 2010 3:22 PM GMT
I don't have a strong view on this but it was funny watching oz v pak earlier.

The comms were incredulous over a deep point in place and no third man and as boundary after boundary went to third man they became ever more voiciferous on the matter.

They never once (that I heard) mentioned the fact that 2 good wickets fell in the Pak innings to catches at deep point.

As a bowler I mostly liked a third man in place after the early overs, it can be demoralising getting edge after edge and conceding 4 for each of them. Test cricket is a longer game though, and I'd be as happy to go without one in that format most of the time I think.
Report Deadly Earnest January 4, 2010 3:30 PM GMT
I quite like the idea of deep or fly slips and have used them effectively in the past. Quite a few balls fly over slips and bounce halfway to the fence and a good fielder there would normally have time to cover a few yards either side of his position. Many catches that go to regular slips would actually travel about 25-30 yards at least if not intercepted so a well placed deep slip is a chance to take some of those as well, and of course would save quite a few runs over time. Obviously this position is a lot more useful on bouncier than average pitches.
Report Scuttler January 4, 2010 3:33 PM GMT
Deadly Earnest couldn't agree more. Would love to see a captain bring in a fly slip for the tailenders when they are swishing at it. Wicket taking position and would stop plenty of those fours. One day some Captain will adopt it and then everyone will be at it. Seems obvious.
Report ramone January 4, 2010 4:18 PM GMT
Funny how international captains all forsake 3rd man. In fact the only time they change their mind is in retirement in the comm box!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com