Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Mod father
29 Dec 09 19:39
| Topic/replies: 1,399 | Blogger: The Mod father's blog
Atherton for me...Top class
Pause Switch to Standard View Favourite pundit/commentator on Sky team
Show More
Report d13phe December 29, 2009 7:40 PM GMT
tbh they all have annoyances

the TMS team particularly with Vaughan are a different class imo
Report oitoitoi December 29, 2009 7:46 PM GMT
athers is in a league of his own as a pundit imo

botham is annoying

is blowers still on tms? love listening to him talk about pigeons and such
Report d13phe December 29, 2009 7:47 PM GMT
not on this tour

i personally cant stand blowers
Report trader pj December 29, 2009 7:47 PM GMT
bumble
Report the nugget December 29, 2009 8:00 PM GMT
Hussain/Atherton joint top for me/ Do quite enjoy willis on the domestic and in the studio tho
Report BobSievier December 29, 2009 8:15 PM GMT
All except beefy , tactical moron.
Report Sterling Morrison December 29, 2009 10:15 PM GMT
Geoff B Head and shoulders
Report mittheimp December 30, 2009 1:14 AM GMT
all except botham on sky

agnew terrible
Report Max and Paddy December 30, 2009 1:15 AM GMT
Why is Agnew "terrible"?
Report STEPTOES YARD December 30, 2009 1:16 AM GMT
Bumble and Hussain
Report thistimenextyear.... December 30, 2009 7:37 AM GMT
Lilly Allen
Report cricketjon December 30, 2009 8:58 AM GMT
Atherton

end ofthreaD
Report ronsk December 30, 2009 9:35 AM GMT
1 - Athers
2 - Nasser
3 - Bumble
4 - Gower
Last by a fecking mile - Botham!

I really rate Athers and Nasser. Both are more than capable of thinking outside of the box. I like the humour that Bumble brings to the table (FULL PINT etc...), but he's more tactically proficient than he gives himself credit for, let alone others. Gower is a very good anchor imv... His commentary leaves a little to be desired though! Botham is just a complete and utter @rse, end of!!
Report monkey nuts December 30, 2009 11:48 AM GMT
Botham
Report West Coast Eagles December 30, 2009 11:51 AM GMT
Sky sports team:

1. Bumble
2. Botham
3. Nasser
4. Bob Willis
5. Atherton
6. Boycott

Channel 9 Team Australia:

1. Richie Benaud
2. Tony Greig
3. Warney
4. Slater
5. Ian Chappell
6. Taylor
7. Mark Nicholas
8. Ian Healy
Report ronsk December 30, 2009 11:57 AM GMT
Boycott on SKY... What??
Report West Coast Eagles December 30, 2009 12:01 PM GMT
yep he has been commentating the Saffers V England series
Report ronsk December 30, 2009 12:10 PM GMT
Not on my TV he hasn't...
Report Deadly Earnest December 30, 2009 5:13 PM GMT
Aussies are getting different comms to what we are getting here in the UK.

I also have a lot of time for Athers and Nasser, Gower has been a decent improver over the last year or two. Bumble is fine playing his role. I like Colville and Willis.

Knight and Botham are awful. Listened to Vaughan on TMS the other day and I think the novelty will wear off quickly with him, he has a very annoying voice, or habit of mumbling and when his knowledge of current players and tactics etc becomes redundant he may not have too much to offer, though to be fair, he showed a very good knowledge of batting technique when I was listening.

Channel 9 in Australia need to tear up the list and start over again. It pains me to say that Nicholas, despite his cringeworthy sycophantic running commentary at times is now about the best of them. Mark Taylor is alright, Slater would be pretty good I think but something is wrong with him that I am not sure he can help.

Lawry and Greig were always alright, though Grieg is obviously blind as a bat or something. They are both getting old now.

Benaud and Chappell have always been digraceful imo.

Ian Healy is the worst I have ever heard, anywhere, any time, and I include Knight and Botham in that.

I am no great fan of Warne.

It is good to see the likes of Kasperwicz getting a go, it would be good to see some more of these types with the lower profiles getting involved, but really we need a few more professional commentators(hopefully with character) and a few less ex-cricketers.
Report timmy2988 December 30, 2009 5:33 PM GMT
Might as well add the NZ guys into the debate: Ian Smith, Mark Richardson, Simon Doull, Martin Crowe, Craig McMillan.

Always liked listening to the New Zealanders. Dont have the biased analysis that the Aussie comms have. Crowe plays the Beefy role nicely, wonderful player but can be very harsh on the team. McMillan has just started out but seems alright. Really enjoy Richardson and Smith. Entertaining and read the game well. Dont know what to make of Doull. Alright I suppose.

They usually have somebody from the opposition as well to keep the balance which channel 5 still avoids.......
Report Deadly Earnest December 30, 2009 5:40 PM GMT
Thanks for those objective thoughts Tim.

Only one question, is your surname Mcintosh, or Southee?
Report timmy2988 December 30, 2009 5:41 PM GMT
Kirk actually.

Popular name in New Zealand.
Report Deadly Earnest December 30, 2009 5:48 PM GMT
Just having a bit of fun Tim. The NZ comms aren't too bad imo until they get a bee in their bonnet such as with Murali's action or similar. Also there always seems to be a lot of use of cliches like 'in terms of.'

I always thought they tended on the parochial side too much as well, though some my own country's(Australia) commentators seem to have elevated this to a new level in recent times.
Report timmy2988 December 30, 2009 5:54 PM GMT
Ya no comm team is perfect.

Channel 5 do my head in though. :)

Athers is the best of the English lot.
Report Yossarrian December 30, 2009 6:03 PM GMT
Hussain comfortably the best for me

Atherton my least favourite
Report I Win All The Tim December 30, 2009 6:31 PM GMT
bumble when there are overthrows is brilliant to listen to
Report the nugget December 30, 2009 6:42 PM GMT
Deadley i quite like what i've heard from Greg Blewett, what do you think about him? Seems more chilled out and less excitable than most of the channel nine crew yet still insightful.

Healy is a disgrace imo, makes me look forward to Chappell coming into the box ffs
Report Deadly Earnest December 30, 2009 10:33 PM GMT
Yes Nugget, Blewett is one of the types I think it would be good to hear more from. I've heard a bit of him and always struck me as balanced. He passes the test of not making a complete idiot of himself anyway, so that's a great start.

Commentating would not necessarily be an easy thing to do for a lot of people, but you expect improvement over time and those that only go downhill over time like Botham really annoy me because they are in the job under totally false pretences.
Report the.mad.dog.man December 31, 2009 7:39 AM GMT
botham the worst
Report Captain Wurzel December 31, 2009 7:53 AM GMT
Jeremy Coney, always highly entertaining.
Report HENRY`S HANDBALL December 31, 2009 2:34 PM GMT
athers
nasser
willis
Report sewter lives again December 31, 2009 3:48 PM GMT
In answer to original question, it has to be Atherton for me.

Botham despite his great deeds is clueless, no wonder he was a useless captain.
Report timcaznat January 1, 2010 9:44 PM GMT
Hussain and Bumble for me.

Jeremy Coney too
Report rusty claydon January 2, 2010 9:43 AM GMT
Now it's gone beyond Sky team, how about Kerry O'Keeffe on ABC Radio - always attracts black & white views. Think he's insightful and entertaining myself.

And is Justin Langer the worst PR for the national team. And talks about himself in third person.
Report mittheimp January 2, 2010 10:17 AM GMT
Agnew is terrible because for the leading cricket voice of BBC he clearly has no interest and does no research into other international cricket being played other than by England. Also goes on and on and on about rowdy spectators at English test venues, as if this is a new phenomina! He also is very**ly about any criticism, hence no comment blogs on his BBC articles these days.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com