Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TopTier
30 Dec 09 17:01
| Topic/replies: 5,180 | Blogger: TopTier's blog
Can anyone give a reason why SA are 2.66 to win this test relative to the other prices? Seems a crazily low price imo.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sa vs Eng 3rd Test
Show More
Report TopTier December 30, 2009 5:02 PM GMT
Considering Sa has won one session with the ball in 2 tests.
Report cdog December 30, 2009 5:13 PM GMT
it's their fortress remember, like Windies of old at Barbados, Australia at Lords etc.
Report smeagors December 30, 2009 6:47 PM GMT
could be a false price based on past performances .. however both these teams seem capable of blowing hot and cold so not for me ..
Report smeagors December 30, 2009 6:48 PM GMT
eng did get englsh bowling conditions ..
Report d13phe December 30, 2009 6:49 PM GMT
they might have 3 and a 1/2 bowlers in this test if de wet plays in front of ntini
Report roubles December 30, 2009 8:07 PM GMT
Looking at past jan tests at this ground swing bowlers (kallis, steyn, asif, etc etc) have done well so a result looks possible for england again. Also odd spin contributions from boje etc so swanny could keep up his hot streak.

Whats the situation with light/finish time at cape town???
Report riccardo December 30, 2009 8:13 PM GMT
Light until 8pm
Report ReaseHeath December 30, 2009 8:26 PM GMT
big score from Mr. P. coming soon.
Report TopTier December 30, 2009 10:01 PM GMT
Draw sub 3.0s hmmm.
Report TwoTonTed December 31, 2009 7:59 AM GMT
just lay it TT, wont happen :)
Report Accumulator1 December 31, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
Is Collingwood fit to play? If not maybe why price is so low!
Report positively4thsteet December 31, 2009 10:06 AM GMT
Strauss the only survivor from our last tour to Safrica, was only 5 years ago.
Report aloisi December 31, 2009 10:57 AM GMT
yes lay that draw very few draws in cape town sub 3 with five days sunshine forcast should be 4 at least
Report smeagors December 31, 2009 11:12 AM GMT
the noughties .. eng started them in SA and is ending them in SA .. the start was famous for the hansje saga .. the end is famous for an innings victory for england ..however G Smith was seen talking to a rather large cigar smoking suitcase carrying asian chap prior to the durban test tho :0
Report smeagors December 31, 2009 11:33 AM GMT
by the way for anyone wondering .. this info was relayed to me via an innocent bystander ;)
Report Innocent Bystander December 31, 2009 12:20 PM GMT
dont drag me into this :0
Report aloisi December 31, 2009 3:20 PM GMT
draws coming in for some reason it will soon be favorite :)
Report Asparagus Man December 31, 2009 4:02 PM GMT
Draw shortening at England's expense - could easily see 4.0 on England pre-match imo.
Report I win every time! December 31, 2009 5:06 PM GMT
4.0 Eng pre match is value imvho
Report smeagors December 31, 2009 5:21 PM GMT
it is .. imvdo .. :0
Report Asparagus Man January 1, 2010 12:42 PM GMT
Collingwood described as only 50-50 to play by Andy Flower.

Final decision to be made tomorrow. Wright / Carberry on standby
Report STEPTOES YARD January 1, 2010 12:48 PM GMT
1-0 up

Think it will be Carberry
Report Deadly Earnest January 1, 2010 12:59 PM GMT
You could make a strong case for Wright being the safer option there as Carberry would be making his international debut. Wright adds that little bit to the bowling as well, so i'd be sticking him in at 7 rather than throwing Carberry in, presumably at 6 where you would expect he will be both nervous and unfamiliar with the bowlers.
Report tuthoops January 1, 2010 1:02 PM GMT
wright has to play no-brainer
Report Asparagus Man January 1, 2010 1:09 PM GMT
Wouldn't disagree with you there DE. I don't really know much about Carberry's credentials.

That said I was heavily critical of the decision to hand Trott his debut in an Ashes decider and that worked out pretty well.
Report Asparagus Man January 1, 2010 1:12 PM GMT
Eng now matched at 4.2 :0
Report fundamentalist January 1, 2010 1:48 PM GMT
Carberry the best English batter in Div 1 of the CC last yr, depends how much faith you put in that as to whether you think he makes it at test level. Definitely an improved performer, not convinced he'd be good enough but deserves a chance imo, esp as an opening option (which england are clearly short of after the current incumbents).

Also goes to show how farcical it is to pick only 6 batters in the squad when you intend to play 6 in eachgame
Report d13phe January 1, 2010 2:36 PM GMT
get morgan in

proven international player

doesnt make a difference whether he scores quickly or not
Report fundamentalist January 1, 2010 2:43 PM GMT
morgan averaged sub 25 in div2 of the county champs last yr (1 ton and 1 50 in 18 inns), cant see how you can select him based on a few t20 and odi inns personally when he has little 4 day form in the book
Report d13phe January 1, 2010 2:47 PM GMT
you can pick him for the future

stats aren't everything

the lad can play and i would take him at the crease at 40/4 against wright or carberry .
Report fundamentalist January 1, 2010 2:50 PM GMT
stats arent everything but faliling to get to 50 16 out of 18 times in div 2 of the cc says to me hes a t20/odi player and no where near ready for the longer format of the game
Report d13phe January 1, 2010 2:53 PM GMT
well they took a chance on KP and collingwood because of their ODI form

they didnt set the county scene alight with their long day stuff
Report Captain Wurzel January 1, 2010 3:09 PM GMT
KP scored a lot of runs in 4 day cricket.
Report scliffor January 1, 2010 3:11 PM GMT
Agree Colly has a poor county first class record but KP averages over 50 in first class cricket excl tests. Suggest Vaughan or Trescothick are better examples of test class players who didn't set first class cricket alight (although Tres record since leaving the England set up is excellent).

Personally think Morgan has something about him and should be near the front of the queue to get a chance in test cricket but it is worrying that he had such a poor 1st class record last year with half his games at Lords. Suspect he'll get a chance in Bangladesh if the all formats players are rested (would need to replace Strauss, KP, Colly and possibly Trott)
Report Deadly Earnest January 1, 2010 4:43 PM GMT
I think Morgan has it all to prove in first class cricket really. Even when compiling very damaging innings in the shorter forms he was putting his share of balls through the vacant slip region and of course it is far less likely to be vacant in tests.

I would not even consider him for test cricket at this point. Carberry is a fair enough next choice, though I can't help wondering why Ravi Bopara is not in the reserve squad rather than conducting scientific experiments on cricket balls in NZ.
Report rev ike January 1, 2010 6:40 PM GMT
carberry not test class imo
Report Deadly Earnest January 1, 2010 9:10 PM GMT
One of the good things about English selection over the recent times is that the likes of Sidebottom, Swann, Trott, Bopara, Onions have been given a go based on them being the best qualified performers at County level.

It is a fair principle of selection to take the best performers at the lower level first imo.

T0o write Carberry off as not up to test level without being tested flies bang in the face of that principle.
Report I win every time! January 1, 2010 9:17 PM GMT
agree with last post - give the guy a go. Still, that being said I still think I'd favour Wright here just for the fact it balances up the side more
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com