Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
marychain1
30 Dec 09 07:45
| Topic/replies: 28,704 | Blogger: marychain1's blog
Pretty much faultless, on a flat pitch having lost the toss, blew SAF out twice, knocked up a massive score and some stellar individual performances.
Pause Switch to Standard View Is it far fetched to say that's...
Show More
Report GrimReaper December 30, 2009 7:46 AM GMT
Lord's just that little bit better, imo... :)
Report marychain1 December 30, 2009 7:47 AM GMT
possibly, although that was at home, obviously
Report positively4thsteet December 30, 2009 7:50 AM GMT
A fine performance, thats enough for me.

Not one to nickety pickety generally, but i am still p.ssed off about broad's batting yesterday. just didn't understand it, and i'm not willing to say it's ok just because we ended up thrashing them.
Report positively4thsteet December 30, 2009 7:52 AM GMT
would be a real coup for us to win the series. would arguably make us one of the top 2 teams in the world, don't know what the icc rankings would make of it , but i'd say top 2.
Report Innocent Bystander December 30, 2009 8:04 AM GMT
If we win the series we may move up to 4, but no higher iirc
Report naive December 30, 2009 8:06 AM GMT
sure we did very well; but I think you also have to discount for the ineptitude of the opposition. Smith a poor captain imo; batting lacks backbone, esp when Kallis out of touch; and I can't see their much-vaunted bowling attack taking 20 wkts in a match.
Report Innocent Bystander December 30, 2009 8:06 AM GMT
England never beat a good side when they win........
Report naive December 30, 2009 8:08 AM GMT
IB, I def am not falling into that camp. It's just separating the "best in the world" hype from the reality and taking a cool look at what we did beat this time.
Report Innocent Bystander December 30, 2009 8:09 AM GMT
Im just happy with a win, let history judge its merits. England dont seem to be sitting on their previous victories, and looking to improve - thats good enough for me
Report Ekbalco December 30, 2009 8:09 AM GMT
Magnificent - an absolute thrashing.
Report bushy December 30, 2009 8:10 AM GMT
Any of the top 6 sides would struggle to win a Test [on a reasonable deck] against another of the top 6 playing at their best.

You can only beat what you're up against, and you can make the opposition play badly through your own efforts.
Report Sterling Morrison December 30, 2009 8:12 AM GMT
Very happy with that. Also mystified by Broad's batting, but happy with his bowling. Great perf by whole team
Report Deadly Earnest December 30, 2009 8:21 AM GMT
England have shown in the Ashes and here they are capable of smashing decent teams when things go their way conditions wise etc. That's a good feather in their cap. The next stage of course is to perform better when the uncontrollables go against them.

I suspect the point of Broad's(and Bell's) pre lunch batting was to ensure England had 3 sharp spells at the SA bats with a new or fairly new ball by batting to around an hour before tea on day 4. As it was it worked out perfectly with 13 overs pre tea, 20 overs post tea and another burst with fresh bowlers this morning. I couldn't think of any other reason England would have batted so cauyiously pre lunch day 4.

The England top order remains on the weakish side imo, the key to their good performances has been Prior, Broad, Swann and to some extent Anderson batting so well and the bowlers more than holding their own with the ball, especially producing test winning batting collapses in the opposition every few tests.
Report naive December 30, 2009 8:22 AM GMT
bushy, up to a point. Beat India, Aus, or SL on their own turf and you can really begin to rate yourselves. Esp Aus - bring on 2010/11, but let's win this series first. I enjoyed the win as much as anyone having followed the team around the world and at most home Tests for years.
Report positively4thsteet December 30, 2009 8:46 AM GMT
If we beat saffers in safrica (long way to go yet) then that makes us no2 in the world imo. iff icc rankings put us 4th then that is up to them. But if we beat them in theirown country then we have to be above them i'm afraid. And we have beaten them fair and square so far. A shame we fked up against windies really because i am guessng that is the reason we would not be higher in the rankings. All because of one apalling innings in the first test, and we nver quite recovered.
Report cricketjon December 30, 2009 8:56 AM GMT
the Vaughan/Strauss/Flintoff/Vaughan/Peiterson era is behind us.

Strauss in charge since Feb 09 - his own team no legacy issues

Wonder what would have happened if Strauss had stayed in charge after Aug 06 where he won 2 tests (ok 3) against a better Pakistan side than the one playing thesedays.....but no they went for Flintoff who was already doing 2 peoples work

not saying we are brilliant, i was there at Leeds ffs but i do like this side and the giles slot has been well and truly filled
Report cricnut December 30, 2009 9:44 AM GMT
couldn't put us at 2 in the world, we have to still win this series, then we need to beat Australia away and then there's India and Sri Lanka who are better than us. I'd have New Zealand, behind us, with Australia, Pakistan and South Africa a similar level to us
India and Sri Lanka at the moment are better. Nice to see we have found an all rounder, who although won't take Flintoff's place is very good. He can bowl more overs being a spinner and at the moment his Test Match batting average is probably not much different to Flintoff's. Well done Graeme Swan
Report Mud Man December 30, 2009 1:49 PM GMT
Broad's batting average is just 2 points below Flintoff's and he has reached the number of wickets (74) in half the number of matches that it took Flintoff. Prior can also be considered an all-rounder. So we have three very useful all-rounders.
Report Mud Man December 30, 2009 1:55 PM GMT
I wouldn't put us at No. 2 but we aren't that far from it. I don't rate Sri Lanka that highly and India have just swatted them aside. Eng, SA, Aus and SL are vying for 2nd. We will know a lot more after Cape Town. If England can beat SA in SA then we should move ahead of them. Remember, just 12 months ago, this SA middle order gave the Aussies a lesson in Australia with some really obdurate performances. That loss to the Windies was a bit of an anomaly.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com