Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Go4TheDoctor
27 Dec 09 02:08
| Topic/replies: 122 | Blogger: Go4TheDoctor's blog
Yes - imo
Pause Switch to Standard View Overly generous declaration - yes or no?
Show More
Report purpleqwirky December 27, 2009 2:14 AM GMT
is imo the most pointless phrase ever? yes or no? yes imo.
Report Go4TheDoctor December 27, 2009 2:14 AM GMT
thanks for your pointless contribution
Report purpleqwirky December 27, 2009 2:15 AM GMT
thanks for yer pointless thread thats being discussed on main thread.
Report Lix December 27, 2009 2:33 AM GMT
awful awful dec. just stupid. got Haddin and Johnson still in the shed. why not use them to score some quick runs? will take MORE time out of the game later on when Aus have to build an innings again.
Report oitoitoi December 27, 2009 2:37 AM GMT
terrible decision, no idea what ponting expects to happen
Report merveille December 27, 2009 8:55 AM GMT
great declaration, showing a feel for the game and the opposition - cant catch, bowl or bat.

Only people critical on here are those talking through their pocket.

And, I layed the draw heavily so yippee
Report Work Can Wait December 27, 2009 9:06 AM GMT
I dont see how its a great declaration. Why wait to bat again when you have 3 batters ready to knock 120 in one session in a 'hit out or get out' play, and then not even need to bat again.

The only thing I see positive about it is that pakistan won't go defensive immediately.
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 27, 2009 9:14 AM GMT
where've you been hiding merv??
Report d13phe December 27, 2009 9:18 AM GMT
i think pontings mindset is win which is good to see.

most test captains worry about losing first and then if they can win thats a bonus
Report d13phe December 27, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
ponting very rarely enforces follow on so they would have batted again anyway
Report merveille December 27, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
gday Lies - still around just not inspired to post much - not a conscious decision just not **ed.

I think the overwhelming reason for Ponting was simple - 20 wickets to get on a flat deck, so he was aggressive. Will be seen as a masterstroke.
That one or two hours could be more vital than the extra 50-70 runs, and what he is saying to pakistan is 'I dont rate you'.
As someone here said, also keeps Pakistan in the game so they are more aggressive as well.

Arrogant? maybe, but most of all confident and aggressive
Report Rampant Rabbit December 27, 2009 9:30 AM GMT
saved me about 3 grand.. I love ricky. hes my hero
Report merveille December 27, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
and i reckon the draw is still unders
Report Sterling Morrison December 27, 2009 9:37 AM GMT
cost me a fortune = bad decision
Report Rampant Rabbit December 27, 2009 9:38 AM GMT
Wish I was related to him..
Report Innocent Bystander December 27, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
I want to boof him....
Report Rampant Rabbit December 27, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
Most of the time I want to as well.

but I hated to lick the laptop when I turned it on aqt 6 am, haveing been scared to watch any more when hussey was still in and went to bed
Report JustWinBaby December 27, 2009 11:46 AM GMT
Decision was fully vindicated seeing the position they are in now.
Report bigjoe December 27, 2009 5:11 PM GMT
Arrogant decision that he ill regret :)

By declaring and leaving a follow on target of only 254 he guarenteed that aussies would have to bat again.... even with 250 lead he will ot risk batting last on day 5 against Ajmal ;)

That gives pakistan a chance of winning when a declaration at 550-600 would have batted pakistan out of game :)

Tricky ricky now has to either follow it up with another generous declaration in 2nd innings ... asssuming aussies dont get skittled for 150 again after takng a 200+ lead on first innings :^0

I still think pakistan will get close to parity tomorrow.. they still got big guns around and they bat all the way down .. parity or a small lead for pakistan will put aussies under pressure on day 4 .. and thats when this arrogance by tricky ricky will be back to kck him up the proverbials :0
Report TopTier December 27, 2009 5:33 PM GMT
I'm optimistic Aus are going to trade a lot higher again but you might be stretching it a bit BJ. Hope your right though. :-)
Report Richard LL December 27, 2009 5:38 PM GMT
Genorosity is never a factor in declarations, unless someone is trying to**a game.
Report in hell December 27, 2009 5:56 PM GMT
pak will do very well to get 250 .
Report bigjoe December 27, 2009 6:05 PM GMT
250 :^0

Look for a more positive appoach from pakistan later tonight .. Aamir is positive by nature and he could prove to be a nightmare for aussies as nightwatchman.. they ned to get rid of him quick or there will be some very quick scoring in first hour and momentum shift to pakistan ;)

Then we got misbah and the even more positive Kamran akmal along ith his bruv umar who are both capable of wresting the initiative away fom oppo :0

Pakistan bat all the way down to ajmal at no10 ... 350+ is the bare minimum i reckon they get .. and parity or a lead cannot be ruled out :)
Report big-game-player December 27, 2009 6:32 PM GMT
the momentum wont change to pakistan for one reason..

they have little chance of bowling the convicts out. i think the aussie will bowl these out quite early and then pile on the runs.. and the pakistanis will crumble under pressure.. this is a poor pakistan side for me..
Report smeagors December 27, 2009 6:43 PM GMT
in all fairness the guy can't win .. has been pillorized on here over the last few yrs for being too conservative with his decs and now he shows a bit of dare and he's being ..... yep .. pillorized .. whatta ya got to do eh .. :|
Report jinx December 27, 2009 6:44 PM GMT
the most amazing and stupid dec of all time imho.
could have changed the order if he wanted a better rr.
pakistan 4 down so he probably has got away with it, but that does not make it any less stupid.
Report jinx December 27, 2009 6:49 PM GMT
smeagors 27 Dec 19:43
in all fairness the guy can't win .. has been pillorized on here over the last few yrs for being too conservative with his decs and now he shows a bit of dare and he's being ..... yep .. pillorized .. whatta ya got to do eh .. :|

agree he has been conservative
but this is way way beyond an overreaction from ponting.
madness it's as if he did'nt want to worry about the follow on decision and get stick for batting again
Report foolds gold December 27, 2009 7:01 PM GMT
Its a bit early to say weather or not the decleration is incorrect.
The direction the match takes will vindicate him or possiblly not.

I personally think it was genius. Taking the 4 wickets at such a dismal run rate certainly worked well. Keeping pakistan in with a sniff means they wont shut up shop either.

Punter was never gonna enforce a follow on anyway given the opportunity as he needs to rest his depleated bowling attack.
Report Richard LL December 27, 2009 7:09 PM GMT
has Punter given any reasons for the Dec, you'd think 50/80 quick runs would have made sense, but perhaps he has his reasons.
Report Jan1ne December 27, 2009 7:18 PM GMT
trying to give the impression that he's still captain of a great team

can't win games relentlessly like a few years ago, so trying to make headlines by doing something different

i'm sure the channel 9 boys are still jerking off over the decision even now
Report d13phe December 27, 2009 7:19 PM GMT
dont think he would have to justify his decision given the pakistan score richard
Report Richard LL December 27, 2009 7:26 PM GMT
not asking for justification, just wondered if he'd aired any reasons, for instance he may think the pitch was flattening out and wanted to bowl while there was still a bit of life in it, or may have just gone for the element of suprise.
Report Rampant Rabbit December 27, 2009 7:40 PM GMT
I had sold the runs at 430 for 40..

took a bit of a hit back at 540, just incase they went to 600

came down this morning and danced like a lamb that had just saw daylight for the first time :)
Report ronaldingo December 27, 2009 8:38 PM GMT
you must be kidding bigjoe or had too big a lash at the xmas punch mate.
Report jinx December 27, 2009 9:30 PM GMT
i'm on australia
but whatever the result i find it an amazing dec for any test match,let alone the first of a series
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 27, 2009 9:43 PM GMT
leaving aside joe's 600 (or is it now up to 705?) predictions, i can not understand how he thinks trying to make it as hard as possible for your opponents to save the game is in any way generous, bad captaincy or arrogant

surely batting all the way to 600 or beyond is much more arrogant
Report chelsea_blue December 27, 2009 9:45 PM GMT
on the aussies myself and i was kind of seething when i heared he declared for 450!!

it could look like a masterstroke in a couple of hours time but if PAK bat a bit better today there may be a few ponting seethers around

torn in two weather to lay my Aus 1.8 back off for 1.34

anyone going to do the honours of starting the day 3 thread
Report merveille December 30, 2009 8:06 AM GMT
um no
Report merveille December 30, 2009 8:27 AM GMT
oitoitoi 27 Dec 14:37

terrible decision, no idea what ponting expects to happen

20 wickets. not many runs, would be the expectation
Report Go4TheDoctor December 30, 2009 8:45 AM GMT
Even though they won - I still think it was overly generous at only 450 odd
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit