Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RockMonkey
20 Dec 09 09:10
| Topic/replies: 2,167 | Blogger: RockMonkey's blog
Likely to be hugely frustrating as AUS obviously there for the taking but Pakistan hardly the most trustworthy team to entrust the task to.
Probably the biggest discrepancy in any team between the excellence of the Pakistan bowlers & flakiness of the Younis-less batting line-up.
All in all AUS still gotta be lay at probable 1/2.
Pause Switch to Standard View Australia-Pakistan Series
Show More
Report Deadly Earnest December 20, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
I think most of us thinking the same RM.

The thing with Pak is to know they will dominate sessions totally at times, and as we know, they will be even more totally dominated at others.
Report michael knight December 20, 2009 10:09 AM GMT
I don't think they will be even half as competitive as the Windies have just been.

Without Younis Khan their batting looks awful and they seem to struggle even on pitches with moderate bounce.

To top it off they are led by a captain who seems to think god plays a bigger part in the outcome of cricket matches than the actual players.

They'll also find it tough with just 4 bowlers - no afridi, razzaq type all rounder who can bowl a bit.
Report bigpoppapump December 20, 2009 10:18 AM GMT
To top it off they are led by a captain who seems to think god plays a bigger part in the outcome of cricket matches than the actual players.

...or the umpires...

;)
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 20, 2009 11:54 AM GMT
been interesting to see how well pakistan have done in the first 2 days of their warm up match vs a pretty strong tasmanian team

http://livescores.cricket.com.au/scoreboard_2462_1.html

also, mcg pitch was an absolute road in the last shield match - michael klinger made 200 and the vics chased down nearly 400 on the last day with overs left

i normally would be wary of pakistan, particularly in the first match....but aus look a massive lay if they are around 1/2
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 22, 2009 12:01 AM GMT
match ends in a draw - umar akmal score a run-a-ball 50 before being run out in 2nd innings

good reports on abdur rauf (2/43) and mohammed aamer (2/17), although aamer only bowled 10 overs

saeed ajmal 4/84 from 26 as well
Report West Coast Eagles December 22, 2009 12:43 AM GMT
Pakistan should have lost 2-1 to NZ, but rain saved them. Think it will be a pretty even series, but Im not convinced Pakistan's batting is good enough. If Australia bat, might be good idea to get on pakistan to bowl them out cheaply. I really rate their bowling lineup. (or if they put runs on the board)
Report West Coast Eagles December 22, 2009 12:44 AM GMT
they play on 2 of the best spinning wickets in Australia in Melbourne and Sydney and I think that could swing it there way
Report bobojon December 22, 2009 10:02 AM GMT
wce which spinner has recently taken a bag at the mcg warne excluded?
Report thehoops December 22, 2009 10:04 AM GMT
lay of aus, obviously clear favs but MCG pitch is generally a good one
Report bobojon December 22, 2009 10:09 AM GMT
When was the first time a subcontinent team won the first test they played in Aus. 1.78 reasonable val aus i would have thought. Pak better chance in Syd with Kaneria turning it and Hauritz not.
Report STEPTOES YARD December 22, 2009 10:09 AM GMT
Siddle being back is a big boost for Aussies.

I think credit has to go to West Indies in the recent series.

As mentioned pakistan should have lost against a pretty average nz side.

Just feel that Pakistan will have too many poor sessions in this series.
Report Lix December 22, 2009 10:17 AM GMT
I'd be all over Pak if they batted 1st in Sydney with 2 spinners in their side. think the prices are about right for the 1st test though.
Report bobojon December 22, 2009 10:23 AM GMT
catching is another big ? against pak if the nz series is much to judge by
Report Jan1ne December 22, 2009 10:35 AM GMT
mo sami been recalled, presumably to show ameer how to go from a promising young fast bowler to a total washout
Report michael knight December 22, 2009 11:07 AM GMT
Sami averages 51.37 from 33 test matches - sounds great until we remember he's a bowler.

Think we've had a result at the MCG for the last 11 Boxing day tests.

Really cant see Pak getting close - their batting is absolutely dire, espiecially on pitches with even moderate bounce.
Report oitoitoi December 22, 2009 11:42 AM GMT
asif aamer ajmal and a 3rd seamer, rauf's looked decent.

they can outbowl aus, but as has been said it's the batting that's the problem. they need younis back for his captaincy just as much as his batting imo, yousuf looks clueless as captain and indeed seems to entrust the fate of his team to a higher power rather than his own judgement.
Report michael knight December 22, 2009 11:55 AM GMT
Ajmal won't play mate. Can't drop Kaneria after his performaces against NZ.
Report Smalltime Punter December 22, 2009 1:36 PM GMT
It can't be true about Sami, surely? I refuse to believe that the Pakistan fast bowling hierarchy goes

Asif
Aamer
Gul
Rauf
Sami

When it should be

Asif
Aamer
Gul
Any Pakistani man that has ever played cricket
Any Pakistani man that hasn't ever played cricket
Any Pakistani woman
**sexuals
Terrorists
Abdur Razzaq
Amputees
The terminally ill
Donkeys
Camels
Assorted flora and funghi
then Mohammed Sami

He's never the 5th best seamer in Pakistan. He isn't even the 5th best seamer in a room of 4 people.

I'm looking to back Pak, but I'd think again if Sami is even allowed to talk to other people in the squad.
Report michael knight December 22, 2009 1:37 PM GMT
News reports suggested MoYo requested Sami to be in the squad - ex ICL buddies and all that.
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 22, 2009 9:30 PM GMT
lol SP

bobojon - Bryce McGain ;)
Report Joel December 22, 2009 11:18 PM GMT
Has Bowden been named in the Aus team please?
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 22, 2009 11:26 PM GMT
looks like rudi, asoka desilva and billy doctrove are rotating through, one test on the TV each

i wonder who ricky will be sending christmas presents to...

:|
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 22, 2009 11:27 PM GMT
though the ICC website still has benson listed for the perth test, so not entirely sure how accurate it is
Report TopTier December 23, 2009 1:41 AM GMT
Another test Aus with Aus where you have the lay the ar5e off them at them point and considering the opposition not be too greedy to lay off. This is a pre-toss sit on hands situation if ever there was one or even a 1st session. Could well have 1.3 or 3.0 Aus at Lunch day one. Chancing your arm pretoss prediction anything imo.
Report dougydougy. December 23, 2009 2:23 AM GMT
asif will be brilliant at some point but aus will win the series.

On a seperate note that post from small time, although a late comer is post of the year for me.
Report oitoitoi December 23, 2009 3:02 AM GMT
actually without sami pak could field any 4 of asif, aamer, gul, kaneria and ajmal (aus vs doosra = fail), all 4 decent to top quality bowlers. dont know how sami can compete with those 3 seamers, completely forgot about gul before.
Report bigjoe December 23, 2009 5:21 PM GMT
my preview covering this series entitled " ghost of christmas past " has now been published at the other place ;)

I am itching to say a word or 2 now... but will resist for now .. but i expect i will have plenty to say once the subscribers at the other place have got their series bets on :D
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 23, 2009 9:03 PM GMT
cheers joe - looking forward to it

p.s. if it in any way involves an australian success, i think we have definitively found mary mckillop's second miracle and i will notify the vatican...

;)
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 24, 2009 5:42 AM GMT
Ponting does well in nets and likely to play, according to cricinfo

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/content/current/story/440913.html
Report West Coast Eagles December 25, 2009 8:31 AM GMT
Watch for the Pakistani batsmen to play the big shots, they are a side of brilliance but lack the patience required at test level.

Bowling of the**s is their main strength, Gul and Kaneira are world class, against the batting line up of Ponting, Clarke and Katich they'll have their work cut out.

I dont think the**s have the patience to match it with the Aussies, batting wise and this is where the Aussies will win.
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 25, 2009 8:41 AM GMT
not allowed to write the first 4 or 5 letters of australia's current opponents wce

don't try or you may cop a holiday from this place

;)
Report foolds gold December 25, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
I agree with wce, the pakistanis definatly have the potential and the know how, but I think the battle will be won upstairs in the head.
This is where the aussies should be able to excel
Report bigjoe December 25, 2009 6:02 PM GMT
this one is one of the more easier series to call :)

Just need to consider the following :

1) windies came withn 36 runs of squaring the series with a bowling attack of tongue, roach, benn and bravo .. now aussies face asif, gul, aamir, kenaria/ ajmal ... nuff said ;)

2) the pitches at melbourne, sydney and hobart will be more lke asian pitches then aussie ones ... nuff said ;)

On these pitches.... with this attack ... aussies will do well to avoid a 3-0 humliation :0 .... do extremely well to avoid a 2-0 drubbing ....... do exceptionally well to escape with just a 1-0 loss ..... and will have to play out of their skins to draw series .... nuff said ;)

Ok some will say pakistan done well to escape with a drawn series on kiwiland :0 ... i say to them ... cricket is 80% about pitches ..... the pitches in aussieland will be up pakistans road ... the ones in kiwiland were not ..... nuff said :(

Ok i have said enough .. you know what to do ... go do it :D
Report in hell December 25, 2009 6:43 PM GMT
Ok i have said enough .. you know what to do ... go do it

yes LMAO

3-0 ffs
Report littlejoseph December 25, 2009 8:51 PM GMT
the ones in kiwiland were not

LMAO.

Napier is the biggest road outside of Gujarat and only the rain saved them.
Report Learner94261 December 25, 2009 9:26 PM GMT
Forecast for the rest of Saturday
Mostly sunny. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 25 km/h increasing to up to 35 km/h during the afternoon.
CityMostly sunny.Max24

Forecast for Sunday
Mainly sunny. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 20 km/h tending southerly up to 30 km/h during the afternoon.
CityMainly sunny.Min14Max28

Forecast for Monday
Sunny. Winds south to southwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h.
CitySunny.Min17Max28

Forecast for Tuesday
Sunny. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 25 km/h.
CitySunny.Min16Max27

Forecast for Wednesday
Sunny. Light winds.
CitySunny.Min15Max33
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 26, 2009 6:06 AM GMT
bigjoe in tipping asian side shock

:|
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539