Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rollando1
24 Dec 09 10:36
| Topic/replies: 148 | Blogger: rollando1's blog
I have heard that Sangakkara is a lovely guy.... Always seems to be smiling and is very fair.

Gilchrist is always talked about as being one of the most charming on and off the pitch. Obviously Sachin goes without saying....

On a slightly lesser stage, from personal experience, Neil Carter and David Nash have always been the nicest and most popular.
Pause Switch to Standard View Who are the nicest guys in cricket?
Show More
Report small beer December 24, 2009 10:53 AM GMT
Brett Lee - very competetive but very fair and always smiling even when things dont go his way. Sums up the spirit with which the game should be played.

Kumble, Vettori, Strauss and de Villiers have always impressed too.
Report marychain1 December 24, 2009 10:57 AM GMT
Kumar Sangakkarra
Report cdog December 24, 2009 11:00 AM GMT
Alastair Cook.
Report adrianooooo December 24, 2009 11:04 AM GMT
ive met sangakarra a few times and hes an absolute gentleman, top bloke.
Report rollando1 December 24, 2009 11:05 AM GMT
Alex Loudon certainly up there even though he has recently retired
Report cdog December 24, 2009 11:06 AM GMT
Shaun Pollock too.
Report Carlos Valderrama's Hair December 24, 2009 11:52 AM GMT
Katich is a gentleman
Report JustWinBaby December 24, 2009 11:55 AM GMT
I'm sure 99% of all cricketers are top blokes off the field. Huge difference between how players act on the field in the heat of competition and how they act off the field. Glenn McGrath is the classic example, acted like a complete Tw*t most times but off the field couldn't meet a nicer bloke.
Report rollando1 December 24, 2009 11:59 AM GMT
I am talking about both on and off the field. I am sure Shane Watson is a nice bloke to his mates but on the pitch he is a complete c***
Report Deadly Earnest December 24, 2009 12:14 PM GMT
Sangakkara is al junk yard dog on the field, not that I have anything against that.

I've met Katich a few times and he is a very friendly and down to earth bloke, but has a self confessed mean streak when crossed, as michael Clarke would confirm. Kasprowicz another Australian player who seemed very friendly.

Switchblade Morton always seemed a gentleman.

Niceness a very overrated commodity in cricket though. You can be tough and combative without crossing the line into the unreasonable imo. If you have the ability to unsettle the opposition with some sledging I always feel you owe it to your team to deliver the goods.
Report bigpoppapump December 24, 2009 2:17 PM GMT
Shane Watson not getting much of a run out on this thread. Cannot fathom it?
Report mkay December 24, 2009 2:21 PM GMT
Straussy
Report West Coast Eagles December 24, 2009 2:26 PM GMT
Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist for me
Report Green Beard December 24, 2009 2:48 PM GMT
SL are dirty **s

sanga especially
Report The Bosun December 24, 2009 3:01 PM GMT
aggers
Report Mushtaq December 24, 2009 3:06 PM GMT
Mudhasen Singh Panesar
Report Beer and Skittles December 24, 2009 3:48 PM GMT
Mr Afridi conspicuous by his absence from this thread :)
Report BigMig December 24, 2009 3:54 PM GMT
Mahela Jayawardene
Report tuthoops December 25, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
i've been up close to all of the SL side in the 20\20 WC

Kumar is fantastic, Chamara Silva, Dilly all of them. Farbrace and Bayliss also are good chaps.
Report foolds gold December 25, 2009 10:16 AM GMT
Ithink the charity collectors at chester le street are the nicest guys in cricket. They were very polite when I placed 50p in the pot
Report rougie1975 December 25, 2009 12:34 PM GMT
dermot reeve, peter martin and mike atherton
Report GrimReaper December 25, 2009 2:04 PM GMT
I shared a word with Peter Martin on his only representative tour (SA 95-96), and I found him to be an obnoxious twunt.
Report bestmate December 25, 2009 4:25 PM GMT
younis khan
Report cricketjon December 25, 2009 9:08 PM GMT
good call best mate on YK, always plays with a smile on his face, has to deal with the demands of the job, has suffered personal tragedy in recent years, gets on with it, all different factions in a dressing room etc, underrated batsman, delivered a vic in the world 2020, like im
Report el chine December 25, 2009 9:52 PM GMT
angus frazer had a few beers on holiday with one of our players, gave his number and said he'd come an speak at a sportsmans do for only petrol money to help us out, 6 months later the lad rings him out the blue and angus was true to his word and came up one night, top bloke,
Report BigMig December 25, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
It almost goes without saying that Angus is one of the all-time great blokes.
Report el chine December 25, 2009 10:00 PM GMT
cricket jon, was it yourself on here who plays for newport cc
Report oitoitoi December 25, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
surprised no mentions of dravid, met him a few times, really nice guy, incredibly humble, good sense of humour.

25yrs ago apparently g vishwanath was meant to be the nicest guy in cricket and apparently gavaskar (his brother in law) is frequently asked about him and how he's fairing by ex players of other nations. Known to players around the world affectionately as Vishy.

I've also heard Sanga is a top bloke.

I've met Alec Stewart a few times and he seemed like a wonderful guy, I also remember a great scene towards the end of his career, in a test against india where a 16yr old parthiv patel was playing, at the end of play stewart was walking off with his arm round the tiny patel giving him a fatherly word.

chris cairns though known as a complete nob on the pitch is probably the nicest player I've met off the field.
Report Cricketer December 25, 2009 11:12 PM GMT
Graeme Swann. Top draw on and off.
Report smeagors December 26, 2009 12:27 AM GMT
me :) :D :p .. happy wotsit called and all that ;)
Report mittheimp December 26, 2009 1:07 AM GMT
kids i use to teach told me Angus Frasier often umpired in the local youth league as his son was playing for one of the teams - all said he was really nice. Is a very good pundit too, underused these days.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com