Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Deadly Earnest
19 Dec 09 14:27
| Topic/replies: 3,707 | Blogger: Deadly Earnest's blog
...should he be used to protect England's number 3 J Anderson here if a wicket falls tonight?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 15
By:
GrimReaper
When: 19 Dec 09 14:35
Yes :)
By:
Deadly Earnest
When: 19 Dec 09 14:42
Shocking stuff England, can't afford to be risking the premier bat like this.
By:
Deadly Earnest
When: 19 Dec 09 14:56
Doesn't Cook know he should be protecting the senior batsman?
By:
scliffor
When: 19 Dec 09 14:58
Isn't Bell one of those players who ekes out a 50 when he's in the last chance saloon?
By:
Mushtaq
When: 19 Dec 09 15:47
If he did that then he'd get a fifty every match.
By:
scliffor
When: 19 Dec 09 15:59
Not with England's recent continuity of selection. Harder to get in than get dropped.

More seriously some examples from Bell's career:

Fails in first two tests of 05 Ashes, gets two 50s at Old Trafford and keeps place for rest of series.

Then only picked for first test v Pak 05/06 because Vaughan injured, gets 71 and 31 and Collingwood is dropped instead for the next game.

Position looking dodgy again coming to the end of 07, gets 63 and 67 at the Oval against India to keep his place for the winter.

Gets to last test against NZ in 07/08 having started winter well in SL, but not done anything for a while. Scores 110 in last test.

Does nothing vs NZ in home season in 08, again position under threat and gets 199 vs SA.

Finally gets dropped after further poor run up to Jamaica test earlier this year.

Regains place when KP injured and two scrappy 50s in the Ashes series gets him on tour.

Can he do it again?

Alternatively the selectors would have kept picking him anyway, so it only looks like he gets a 50 when he needs one.
By:
stephaniebot
When: 19 Dec 09 18:40
they did protect the premier batsman, Graham Swann is still to bat! They just sent in the second best batsman though.
By:
GrimReaper
When: 19 Dec 09 18:43
Jimmy will still be batting at lunchtime tomorrow. You heard it here first :)
By:
Cricketer
When: 19 Dec 09 19:56
Jimmy is due a fifty. he hit his first six in the 1st innings.
By:
Deadly Earnest
When: 19 Dec 09 20:11
Nice to see Grim is an unabashed fan of J Anderson Esq these days. has it always been thus I wonder? ;)
By:
GrimReaper
When: 19 Dec 09 20:12
No, not at all Deadly...and I am not an unabashed fan. Still not convinced by his bowling although he has certainly "trained on".
By:
Deadly Earnest
When: 19 Dec 09 20:21
Fair enough Grim. I always liked the way he approached his cricket as you probably know. I think he has become a very good bowler, though I will be surprised if he becomes a great one. I liken him a lot to someone like Brett Lee, a really good athlete who strains every sinew with bat, ball and in the field. Players with these attributes are rare enough in cricket and can be quite inspirational to play with.

Would you not have Anderson as one of the first picked in any England team at the moment?
By:
oitoitoi
When: 20 Dec 09 00:48
anderson will never be a great, but he's certainly much improved. he still basically needs the ball to move around to be really destructive but he won't go round the park when it doesn't like in the past. tbh much has been made of him being the 'leader of the attack' but imo that's media bull, broad's seems to be more effective at the moment, as does onions to be quite honest and swann's trumps the lot of em. if i were to pick an england side right now this would be the order in which i'd pick em:

1. Strauss
2. Strauss
3. Strauss
4. Swann
5. Pietersen
6. Collingwood

The rest are different degrees of mediocre, Cook should be dropped imo, i don't understand why he can't realise that he keeps getting out because he doesn't move his front foot. Bell should be nowhere near the set up.
By:
GoBallistic
When: 20 Dec 09 14:21
He is very dependable
By:
GrimReaper
When: 20 Dec 09 14:23
Yes, Deadly, realistically he'd be the first pick bowler these days.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com