Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rev ike
19 Dec 09 09:51
| Topic/replies: 482 | Blogger: rev ike's blog
interesting comment-not in dispute with that,but; how on earth does bell get in the team based on that philosophy?
Pause Switch to Standard View gilo-" we pick on character"
Show More
Report Deadly Earnest December 19, 2009 3:36 PM GMT
It must be coincidental that all the players of the right character are England and South African born. Or hold playing memberships at Warwickshire.

He doesn't convince me one bit poor liitle Ashley from Surrey, never has.

Despite that, I do like the approach that seems to have accompanied Andy Flower to England team.
Report tuthoops December 19, 2009 3:52 PM GMT
he was in an ashes winning side ;0)
Report TwoTonTed December 19, 2009 8:36 PM GMT
King of Spain (pmsl) was an awful turner of the ball, would never have made the 05 side if there had been anyone remotely better (Monster). How the ferk he's in the Camp now beats me. Week minded, easily offended (by Blowers), knows ferk all about what it takes to be a class act in Test cricket. HTH if yer reading Ashley :)
Report Deadly Earnest December 19, 2009 8:58 PM GMT
tuthoops, he was also in a number of Ashes losing teams, which were mostly beaten senseless.
Report scliffor December 19, 2009 9:08 PM GMT
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with much of the earlier comment on Giles (although tend to think he made the most of what he had), actually he played in surprisingly few ashes teams given the number of tests he played and the frequency the Ashes is played.

Played first test in 01 then injured (I think), took 6 wickets in Nasser's test in 02/03 then had wrist broken by Harmison. Was in every test in 05, then played first 2 in 06/07 when clearly not fit and I'm not sure he ever played any professional cricket after Adelaide.
Report Deadly Earnest December 19, 2009 9:32 PM GMT
He was hardly a success story in Ashes tests. I recall doing some stats on him before, but pretty sure he averaged around 17 with the bat and 55 with the ball.

I didn't make him out to be a whole hearted cricketer, performed below his limited best way too often to get that accolade. By his own diary in 2005 he was shown to be very sensitive and fragile really, hardly someone who can credibly talk of 'character.' I seriously doubt he could accurately list the most important elements of a players 'character' in regard to creating a high performing team, let alone recognise these elements in players.
Report TwoTonTed December 19, 2009 9:37 PM GMT
well put DE, the man's a lightweight
Report scliffor December 19, 2009 9:38 PM GMT
Think we're mostly agreeing. England were consistently beaten out of sight by Aus for a long time, but felt it was slightly harsh to say that Giles participated in much of it (only played in four tests in losing series). Certainly not suggesting that he had any sort of record against Aus either.
Report Deadly Earnest December 19, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
Fair enough Scliffor, my point was just that he didn't only play in a winning Ashes series of course.
Report smeagors December 19, 2009 10:59 PM GMT
i will never forgive him for the what he wrote in his newspaper column after one of the crushing defeats in oz during the last ashes series there .. think it was after adelaide
Report Cricketer December 19, 2009 11:09 PM GMT
he's less impressive now than he was when he was a player. he was a reasonable cr*p player. did he ever turn a ball? batted like a buffoon and had big ears as well.
Report Deadly Earnest December 19, 2009 11:11 PM GMT
As a general rule I have nothing agaisnt big ears, but in Giles' case I am happy to make an exception.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com