Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mushtaq
19 Dec 09 12:06
| Topic/replies: 954 | Blogger: Mushtaq's blog
Is there a case for saying that if an umpire's decision is confirmed on the "Umpire's call" basis, then the appealing team should not lose a referral?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 5
By:
brentford
When: 19 Dec 09 12:07
yes
By:
Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics
When: 19 Dec 09 12:08
yes, but if they bring it in, should lower the incorrect challenges to 1 per innings
By:
brentford
When: 19 Dec 09 12:09
out of interest Mushy (always enjoy reading your stuff even though we rarely agree)
what's your view on how the sytem is working generally ?
By:
Mushtaq
When: 19 Dec 09 12:18
I like it - the balance in principle seems about right.

Don't agree with the need to reduce referrals - i think 2 is about right to avoid players using them spuriously, but do think it's a bit silly to lose referrals as they are doing - if a team suffer a howler following them using up their appeals then i would prefer it if there is an easy response that "it's your own fault". I don't think that is the case at present.

Time will tell whether the presence or otherwise of remaining appeals starts influencing umpire's decisions, but i think the use of "umpire's call" makes that less likely. I know they claim it is to cover the margin of error in Hawkeye, but i think it would be beneficial even if Hawkeye were 100% accurate.
By:
brentford
When: 19 Dec 09 12:23
The refinements they've made since the England tour of the West Indies seemed to have really improved it (agree with the points above btw).

Really like the 'umpires decision' aspect,

Gayle and Ponting earlier in the Oz/WI series weren't great adverts for it but hopefully players adjust with familiarity and the progression continues to be positive.

I'm a cautious advocate of technology use in general but the way it was used in the winter was heavilly flawed (worse than not using tech imo ) - this seems to be getting a lot better
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com