Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
d13phe
28 Nov 09 12:19
| Topic/replies: 22,897 | Blogger: d13phe's blog
Betfair can we put up a market for when this glorified slogger retires from test cricket

I say 3 months

He shows a complete lack of respect for the the truest form of the sport (test match cricket)

Can't wait until he fecks off to play rounders for a living as he is not good enough to play test match cricket

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 36
By:
STEPTOES YARD
When: 28 Nov 09 12:23
Ganga should be captain

Was so impressed during CL
By:
Cuddy
When: 28 Nov 09 12:43
but ganga is a sh1t awful batsman.
By:
STEPTOES YARD
When: 28 Nov 09 12:47
Hes no worse than some in the line up cuddy.

Think having a good captain who actually wants to be there would outweigh any batting issues he may have.

Hes not the worst with the bat anyway imo
By:
d13phe
When: 28 Nov 09 12:53
chris gayle only wants to play 20/20

the fact that he is captaining the WEST INDIES test team and doesnt want to be there just shows a complete lack of respect for me.
By:
T20man
When: 28 Nov 09 12:57
To be fair to him, Gayle didn't do any slogging in this match. 2nd innings got out lbw while shouldering arms in classic test match style...lol.
By:
good value losers
When: 28 Nov 09 12:59
well if my mum was ill in hospital i'd find it quite hard to concentrate. perhaps he should've excused himself till she's better, but so much criticism is a tad harsh.
By:
brentford
When: 28 Nov 09 13:00
strange thing is Step' - when Ganga was captain they wouldn't put in for him at all
as where as they do at least try for Gayle.
I thought Ganga was quite an impressive individual but despite being a reasonable looking technical player just never made many runs and maybe that was why he couldn't get the dressing room on side.
By:
d13phe
When: 28 Nov 09 13:05
gvl

his mum wasnt in hospital when he said that test match cricket was dying
By:
STEPTOES YARD
When: 28 Nov 09 13:20
Fair points Brent.

Just not sure Gayle is the right man for the job and its difficult to see too many clear alternatives in current set up.
By:
Super Vixen
When: 28 Nov 09 13:33
Gayle v the WICB is a real battle of the "who can do the most damage to the game".

Gayle has zero interest in Test cricket - and has virtually said as much.
The WICB are an absolute shambles - who have wrecked the game in the Caribbean.

It is heartbreaking if you love the game as no nation has their particular passion for the sport.

Gayle showed his true colours with the text message episode with KP - a real mercenary who should realise there is plenty of opportunity for him to cash in on his ability - without potentially ruining the game for good in his homeland.
By:
michael knight
When: 28 Nov 09 13:47
Bit unfair to say he isnt good enough to play test cricket. If his attitude was not so lousy he'd be even better. If someone like Sehwag can do so well in Tests there is no reason Gayle cannot.

But even now, is there really a better test opener out there in the Windies? They've tried countless over the past 10 years without success.
By:
T20man
When: 28 Nov 09 15:30
Gayle averages around 40 in all forms of cricket. That (and the rate he scores at) makes him the best batsman in the West indies in 20/20 and ODI's.

As far as tests go, only Chanderpaul (and maybe Sarwan) have better averages.

Just because he doesn't like tests...it doesn't mean that he is not good enough to play them + that WI dont need him.
By:
STEPTOES YARD
When: 28 Nov 09 15:33
Should still be in side just not as leader
By:
Cuddy
When: 28 Nov 09 16:00
i'm not so sure, step; the players seem to come together under him more than anyone else.
that was the case initially, anyway.
By:
JimmyK
When: 28 Nov 09 16:35
They need to accept at test match level he should bat 6/7 and bowl, good slip fielder but is not a leader of men.

Fine cricketer but you have to play him in a spot that best suits the side, opening is definitely not that position and captaining certainly isnt!
By:
bigjoe
When: 28 Nov 09 17:36
Feel he is too flat footed as a test opener these days :( .. does not look fit ... should bat at no5 against older ball instead of the swinging new ball :)
By:
mittheimp
When: 28 Nov 09 22:49
up until the england away series, when he clearly didnt want to be there, Gayle had had easily his best period in test cricket. Led Windies well in NZ and in the Caribbean against England, and scored a lot of runs.

Think criticism too harsh, he said a few of the cuff remarks about tests coz was annoyed at WICB arranging the england series at late notice - basically the WICB swapped a 3 test series this year - at betrer grounds and not as early - for two ridiculously early tests last year which clashed with the IPL he and others were already comitted to. Kind of see why he was annoyed, although completely disagree with his remarks.
By:
beersexchipsngravy
When: 29 Nov 09 09:22
I really hope he doesn't quit - Who will ask for an umpire referral for a ball which is smashing middle stump out of the ground if he retires??
By:
JustWinBaby
When: 29 Nov 09 10:50
The guy has a complete disregard to the concept of team sport IMO. Those 2 absurd challenges when he was batting in both innings pretty much sums it up, looking after No1
By:
anyother
When: 29 Nov 09 23:00
http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/content/current/story/437439.html

he ain't going nowhere
By:
mittheimp
When: 07 Dec 09 07:27
umm.. wonder if anyone has slightly altered their opinion. As i said in my above post - Gayles test record in Test cricket over the last two years - apart from the winter weather series in England has been good to excellent.

His captaincy yesterday i thought was excellent. Batted pretty well today by all acounts too :)

the stuff written about him after the first test in the ozzie media after returning from visiting his sick mother was crazyly over the top.

Be fantastic if the windies win tomorrow - but whatever happens think theyve proven a point!
By:
in hell
When: 07 Dec 09 08:20
one for the team today
By:
Super Vixen
When: 07 Dec 09 14:15
No change in my opinion at all. Never doubted his ability - just his attitude.

Led the players revolt in the Windies - kind of understandable if you have to deal with the WICB - which threatens the future of the game in the Caribbean, plays purely for financial gain instead of getting the rewards on offer whilst respecting the history of the game.

One very good knock doesn't change any of that imo.
By:
mittheimp
When: 08 Dec 09 05:27
his attitude in England was poor - but seems to be the best leader windies have had for a while - damning him with faint praise maybe - but players seem to like him and he has an aura about him.
By:
Ive heard you crap now hear me
When: 08 Dec 09 21:49
d13phe 28 Nov 13:19
Betfair can we put up a market for when this glorified slogger retires from test cricket

I say 3 months

He shows a complete lack of respect for the the truest form of the sport (test match cricket)

Can't wait until he fecks off to play rounders for a living as he is not good enough to play test match cricket

SEVERE mug alert
By:
mittheimp
When: 17 Dec 09 08:56
still standing by comments d13phe ?
By:
d13phe
When: 17 Dec 09 12:23
changing my opinion that he is still a glorified slogger?

no

perhaps he realised he was playing for his country and grew up a little
By:
YER MAN
When: 17 Dec 09 12:59
102 off 72 balls.

6 Sixes & 9 fours.

Thats 72 off 15 balls.

Which means he scored 30 off the other 57 balls.

Hitting the balls that were there to hit and leaving the good ones??

Surely the way the game should be played imo.
By:
smeagors
When: 17 Dec 09 19:35
i think tilakaratne dilshan is cooler in terms of cool .. both a great advert for the game ..
By:
Mushtaq
When: 17 Dec 09 20:02
If his stats are any guide, he realised that about 5 years ago.
By:
blackcap
When: 17 Dec 09 20:45
Gayle is cool mon
By:
Mellor
When: 17 Dec 09 20:57
Dont really like his attitude.

However, highest test score 317, look at his averages across T/ODI/T20 and his appeal as a global brand in the cricket sense and think it is a little unwise to call him a glorified slogger.

He hit the biggest six I have ever seen against Aus at the Oval earlier this year(into Brixton over my head) and I have to ask myself do I pay my money to watch him live or watch Kallis.

Answer - CG
By:
mittheimp
When: 18 Dec 09 15:17
i think cricket would be a lot poorer without him.

be great if he manages another knock in the 2nd innings.
By:
oddduck
When: 18 Dec 09 15:38
"...think it is a little unwise to call him a glorified slogger....He hit the biggest six I have ever seen..."

:^0 :^0
By:
Mellor
When: 18 Dec 09 16:28
so non-glorified sloggers are not allowed to hit big sixes?
By:
EarlyBath
When: 18 Dec 09 17:03
Yer Man

`Thats 72 off 15 balls.

Which means he scored 30 off the other 57 balls.

Hitting the balls that were there to hit and leaving the good ones??`

Excellent point well made.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com