Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
spassky
15 Dec 09 23:00
| Topic/replies: 298 | Blogger: spassky's blog
Yesterday saw a ODI where over 800 runs were scored off one hundred overs. Nothing the bowling machines could do about it because the rules are designed to prevent batsmen getting out, or bowlers slowing the scoring rate. Fine, that's the game.

Yesterday also saw NZ set 200 runs off 40ish overs and they were doing it at a canter. They were going at TEN an over as soon as the rain threatened.
The rules are NOT designed in the batsmans' favour in proper cricket, and nobody scored at five an over against proper bowlers in the old days.

I was just wondering why TEST match BOWLERS seem to have lost all sense of competition. Has it been beaten out of them by the one day system ? Why don't they bowl very full outside leg stump, with three men behind square and as many as they like on the legside in front. The occasional delivery can be bowled three foot outside off, pitching level with the stumps. How are batsmen going to score at a run a ball off that ? You wont need fielders in the VEE that's for sure !!

They just don't seem to be trying any more. Have they turned into bowling machines, without a brain between them ?
Pause Switch to Standard View ODI Bowling Machines creates...
Show More
Report Lies, DamnLies, and Statistics December 15, 2009 11:04 PM GMT
with three men behind square

-------------------

only two allowed behind square....

agree that most bowlers around now are braindead, but not sure ODI cricket is to blame....bowling has been turned into such a science - coaching everyone from the same text-book, they even measure their run-up down to the centimetre....not sure there is any room in such a system for bowlers who can think on their feet - if they have that inclination, i'm sure it is drummed out of them at an early age....
Report brentford December 15, 2009 11:07 PM GMT
think you get a warning followed by run penalties for consistent outside leg bowling if it's deemed to be purely a negative tactic these days don't you ? (have to double check the run penalty - certainly get warned)

and anything remotely in range would be a effectively a free hit behind square, batsman are a lot more receptive to improv to negate it than in 10-20 years past as well.
Report TwoTonTed December 15, 2009 11:08 PM GMT
Show Biz cricket I'm afraid spassky :|

During the ODI I laid India at 1.2 and headed off for the golf course believing it was really doable. Logged on in the half-way hut and laid Lanka sub 1.2. Happy days.......... or was it?
Report Richard LL December 15, 2009 11:16 PM GMT
I'm not convinced things have changed that much, Yousef looking bemused and the wet ball were big factors.
Report good value losers December 15, 2009 11:27 PM GMT
smaller boundaries and modern bats don't help :( said it before on here - they are ridiculous now. eg rarely used to see run of the mill county pros hitting sixes at the oval, recall carl hooper hitting one over extra cover and caused quite a stir. now you see v ordinary batsmen routinely doing the same thing.
Report brentford December 15, 2009 11:34 PM GMT
bats certainly completely different these days,
though that unlike many sports equipment improvements is almost purely down to how the basic materials are prepared, crafted ( soft pressed to retain more spring but for shorter life span, heavilly dried willow - reducing weight to wood) think it's pretty much only a few additions to materials for the handle that have changed.
Report blackcap December 16, 2009 6:33 AM GMT
I know playing with my old DF attack with the Ian Botham sticker on it is soooo much less productive than any bat that I can get in the shop nowadays. It just does not compare.

Its a huge difference what a modern bat can do....
Report fundamentalist December 16, 2009 7:50 AM GMT
more worrying when you get said 800 runs in the ODI and comments like "the real winner today was cricket". complete and utter garbage, balance between bat and ball gone way past status quo, time for them to increase the size of the seam for me
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com