Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
michael knight
14 Dec 09 12:12
| Topic/replies: 2,918 | Blogger: michael knight's blog
Quite admirable I think for a sportsman in this day and age to turn down such 'easy money'. Well done.

The England fast-bowling pair of Stuart Broad and James Anderson have decided not to participate in next year's IPL. England have a busy year ahead, culminating with the defence of the Ashes in Australia at the end of 2010, and the two have put their national commitments ahead of the money up for offer in the lucrative Twenty20 tournament, which will be hosted in India.

In a statement released by the pair's management agency, Broad - who had declined to make himself available for the 2009 edition, stressed on the priority of staying fit to represent his country. "Whilst the chance to play in the IPL is potentially a great opportunity, my number one priority is, and always will be, to represent my country,'' he said. "The IPL is a tournament I would like to play in at some stage in the future but my international career is my sole focus at this stage in my career."

http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/439349.html
Pause Switch to Standard View Anderson and Broad turn down IPL.
Show More
Report good value losers December 14, 2009 12:22 PM GMT
pmsl don't be so naive. they will have done a pretty tight cost/benefit analysis and concluded they're better off giving it a miss at this time. patriotism will have been very low on their list of priorities!
Report Lix December 14, 2009 12:32 PM GMT
ahem, dont you have to be signed by a franchise first? ?:|
Report Innocent Bystander December 14, 2009 3:10 PM GMT
the seethers are incandescent with seethe , their bile pots will be overflowing and no opportunity to unload! :D
Report RockMonkey December 14, 2009 3:16 PM GMT
If England's arguably two leading, centrally contracted fast bowlers had been allowed by the ECB to play in the IPL now THAT would have been newsworthy
Report bigjoe December 14, 2009 3:41 PM GMT
one has the most expensive twenty20 4 over spell to his name :( .. the other is the only Test playing bowler who has ever been hit or 6 sixes in an over :( .... i reckon the franchises would be fighting like hell to ensure they sign these two up :0

More a case of getting some good cheap publicity from appearing to turn down a bumper pay package when in reality they not even been offered a job .. let alone a pay packet :(
Report stephaniebot December 14, 2009 7:32 PM GMT
Well I did wonder just how charitable they were being when I saw the news at work on SL website. Was surprised to hear that teams were interested in them to be honest.
Report Captain Wurzel December 14, 2009 7:39 PM GMT
They would both be snapped up by IPL and you know it bigjoe.
Report brentford December 14, 2009 7:59 PM GMT
both ranked in the top 10 bowlers in odi's - now rankings are anything but perfect but to suggest they (Anderson in particular) wouldn't be sought after is either naive, inbuilt grudge or stupid - maybe all 3...

well done anyone claiming the full house on that one.
Report Asparagus Man December 14, 2009 8:07 PM GMT
Sure quite a few would be claiming full house there Brenty.

Fair play to these two for setting out their position early imo - really unfair to criticise them on the grounds they (highly debatedly) wouldn't be selected.
Report chandla1980. December 14, 2009 8:57 PM GMT
With regards to Broad and Anderson i seriously think that had the Pakistan players not been allowed into IPL 3 the 2 of them would have played. Remember last year Samit Patel and Luke Wright went into the auction and didn't get 1 bid. My theory is that if the Pakistan players were not taking part, then Broad and Anderson would of gone in the auction and fetched high prices, however now Pakistan players are in, Broad and Andersons value will not be as high. So instead of going for low prices and looking silly they decided to pull out the auction and take the public praise that they have put there country before money.
Report Lix December 14, 2009 10:00 PM GMT
Too many overseas players. not enough places in teams. Supply Demand = Less cash for Broady and co.

No point spending big money on players these days when all the 8 sides have 6-7 top international players. Broad and jimmy and the rest are better off waiting for the IPL to expand to 12 teams whereby the 4 newbies will be fighting amongst themselves for the remaining talent worldwide.

(Goa Gubbers have already got pre-contract agreements with Sammy and Shakib ok, so hands off! ) :D
Report Lix December 14, 2009 10:01 PM GMT
Supply Demand. that should say
Report Lix December 14, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
FFS! cant do a 'greater than' sign :(
Report biggestKINGKONG December 15, 2009 3:44 AM GMT
with ipl being played in india which team owner is going to get broad in his team. all people in india recall about broad is that he got smacked for 6 sixes. especially the t20 crowd.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com