Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mittheimp
07 Dec 09 13:15
| Topic/replies: 788 | Blogger: mittheimp's blog
If only it was governed intelligently by the ICC and the national cricketing boards - Test cricket would surely last for ever.

When it is good - such as this Adelaide test, or the recent test in NZ - it is very very good. 5 days of sport that test far more than mere reaction times and natural talent. Endurance, intelligence, courage, and strategy are a must as well....and unlike nearly all other sports, most tactical decisions left largely to the players. 20/20 or ODI's just dont cut it - can find players with talent but heart and character is not so esential... and other sports!! baseball ffs, they have an onfield coach telling players when to run or not.

Unfortunately, perhaps only a minority are capable of fully appreciating Test Cricket!
Pause Switch to Standard View Test Cricket...
Show More
Report Mr. Moustache December 7, 2009 1:19 PM GMT
Proper cricket. You wouldnt get me staying up all night to watch an ODI or T20.
Report smeagors December 7, 2009 1:48 PM GMT
unfortuanately we are living in a world where people want instant gratification .. in all walks of life .. T20 sits perfectly within this .. there are still plenty of people who appreciate the subtle ins and outs of test ckt but imo they or we .. are an audience in decline .. i don't think there is anything that anyone can do to change this .. maybe make it more affordable but i can't really see that making a diff .. :(
Report dougydougy. December 7, 2009 2:54 PM GMT
Can't see test cricket ever dieing out in england or Australia, even if this means that the game goes full circle and the only test series that are played are the ashes, that contest will stand the test of time as it has a heritage no other contest in cricket has. Pakistan and India have a rivalry but that is not specific to test cricket like the England v Australia rivalry is. Ashes will always take place in some capacity imo.
Report Smalltime Punter December 7, 2009 2:54 PM GMT
Tests v ODIs v T20 - it's like the difference between**ging your wife, your ex-girlfriend, or someone you've just met in a club:

Tests/Wife - OK they can be a little dull at times and we take them for granted, but they are very satisfying if you put the work in and we'd miss them terribly if they weren't there.

ODIs/Ex-gf - Familiar, no long term commitment, you know what you're going to get and for the most part that's fine. But there's no lasting satisfaction and after a while you remember why you went off them in the first place.

T20s/Scrubber - Instant gratification, potentially very exciting, but over in a flash and quickly forgotten. And from a gambling point of view, just as easy to catch a dose of something nasty.

I know which I prefer (on both counts). Although having said that, I wouldn't fancy being married to the first India/SL Test...
Report michael knight December 7, 2009 3:01 PM GMT
haha smalltime punter, nice one.
Report smeagors December 7, 2009 3:09 PM GMT
:^0 .. very good
Report Lix December 7, 2009 3:22 PM GMT
hee hee . Good work SP :^0
Report West Coast Eagles December 7, 2009 3:58 PM GMT
still prefer the scrubber, shorter version of T20
Report smeagors December 7, 2009 4:10 PM GMT
i guess for some T1 would be the preferred format ;)
Report Mushtaq December 7, 2009 4:20 PM GMT
Does this explain why women don't like test cricket?
Report michael knight December 9, 2009 11:21 AM GMT
Another nail in the coffin :(

New details of the proposed post-2012 Future Tours Programme have emerged, with David Morgan, the ICC president, stating the home-and-away component of the current model could be scrapped. All teams at present must play each other twice in Test and one-day series over a six-year cycle, but Morgan said the new** could reduce the mandatory requirement to one series.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/438690.html

Also got to feel sorry for the poorer, less attractive nations.

Who is going to want to tour Bangladesh if it aint mandatory.
Report Innocent Bystander December 9, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
Indeed MK, India, who were vociferous in getting Bangla test status, have still to play them in a home test :0
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com