Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
n0mad
07 Dec 09 22:15
| Topic/replies: 91 | Blogger: n0mad's blog
Obviously i'm never goint to be Brian Lara, but after getting REALLY into watching cricket over the last few years I fancy having a go at playing. The only snag is that i'm 33, and have never played, at all really, in my life.

I went to public school, but was far too good at swimming to be allowed to anything but that during the summer term, and so never had chance to play cricket. I'm reasonably fit, and have good hand to eye co-ordination. And fast eyes - I was a printer for years, and printers need fast eyes ;o)

Will any local teams, however small, take me seriously? or even allow me to train with them? ....
Pause Switch to Standard View Starting to play cricket in my...
Show More
Report Deadly Earnest December 7, 2009 10:19 PM GMT
I'd just wander in somehwere if I were you nomad. ;)

Seriously though, whynot, find a local village team and start out from there perhaps. One big problem with cricket for beginners though is that captains often freeze them out of the game, ie bat 10 or 11 and don't get a bowl. However, if you have been a swimmer, bowling should come naturally enough.
Report Cupwinkcook December 7, 2009 10:22 PM GMT
join a bad team

one which has trouble getting eleven out

pay your subs

the rest is up to you

I started at 18 and I know plenty others who started late in life
Report epochery December 7, 2009 10:39 PM GMT
people play in their 50's so you'll be fine
Report Mr Lizard December 8, 2009 12:47 AM GMT
Deadly Earnest 07 Dec 23:19
I'd just wander in somehwere if I were you nomad.

Seriously though, whynot, find a local village team and start out from there perhaps. One big problem with cricket for beginners though is that captains often freeze them out of the game, ie bat 10 or 11 and don't get a bowl. However, if you have been a swimmer, bowling should come naturally enough.

i see, so if you can bowl leg spin and haven't been taught to swim just go to your local pool and jump in the 12ft end you'll be fine!
Report Max and Paddy December 8, 2009 12:53 AM GMT
Sounds good to me, Mr Lizard. Natural selection and all that...
Report courtenay December 8, 2009 12:57 AM GMT
i played in a 6 a side tournament age 30 - never ever bowled in an adult game before. took 3 wickets in two overs. i quit while ahead after that.
Report DOUBLE THE TROUBLE December 8, 2009 1:17 AM GMT
Take up the gentlemanly art of off spin, and class yourself as a pinch hitter, i'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms by all the clubs you visit, great fun and the social side of things is superb, best of luck!
Report Joel December 8, 2009 1:30 AM GMT
My old man still plays the odd game, he's 65.
Report Deadly Earnest December 8, 2009 1:31 AM GMT
Might sound funny Mr Lizard, but swimming is about the best training i know for fast bowling at least. I couldn't imagine it would do any harm to spin bowlers either.

I am well known to be the world's fastest bowler and I grew up swimming regularly. In fact, I doubt there is a faster bowler anywhere in the universe. :)
Report Deadly Earnest December 8, 2009 1:41 AM GMT
n0mad, when you come on to bowl the umpire will normally ask you what you are bowling so that he can announce it to the batsman.

I usually find that informing him of where you fit into the world fast bowling hierarchy is sufficient. When the umpire asks me what I am bowling I normally look at him with incredulity and state I am the world's fastest bowler. In your case if you are super quick, you would inform the ump you are the world's second fastest bowler of course. ;)
Report bombaclart December 8, 2009 9:43 AM GMT
Nomad, i'm disappointed. I had been told, along with dozens of others, that you were going to be Brian Lara & he had in fact allowed you to use his name, bat, pads, the lot.

Why have you suddenly had this change of mind? It has ruined my xmas to be honest. Any chance that you might do a U-turn on this?
Report GrimReaper December 8, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
Where do you live Nomad?

If you've got 4 limbs, you'd be welcome in our team. If you're missing one, you've still got a fighting chance :)
Report spassky December 8, 2009 10:01 AM GMT
If you were a butterfly swimmer, you might want to try bowling in the nets first. You are not allowed to bowl two balls at once, though.
Report n0mad December 8, 2009 11:23 AM GMT
Thanks for the replies guys. Even the not-so-serious ones made me laugh ;)

I think i'll start taking a look at some the local village sides in the spring. A quick search on play-cricket tells me there are 80+ of them in Shropshire alone! :)
Report Pitch Doctor December 8, 2009 12:43 PM GMT
No better place to play your cricket than in shropshire.
Report JimmyK December 8, 2009 1:04 PM GMT
explain to them your a newbie, hopefully find a club with a decent coach.

my advice is to be able to 'hold an end up' as quick as possible. have plenty of throw downs in the nets and you will be fine.
Report GrimReaper December 8, 2009 1:44 PM GMT
Don't wait til the spring - make some enquiries now, as most clubs wil start netting after Christmas. I have my doubts on the value of indoor nets myself, certainly for batsmen, but it would be a good opportunity to meet your propsective team mates.
Report oitoitoi December 8, 2009 2:05 PM GMT
cricket's a tough game to learn from scratch, my advice would be to start off with a tennis ball and get someone, preferably a mate to teach you some basic technique with bat and ball. learn to enjoy the game before hitting the nets! when you gain a bit of confidence join a club or just head down to one of their practices. id try a village club rather than a larger suburban or city club as they tend to take things a lot more seriously (often 2 seriously).
Report overboard December 8, 2009 2:30 PM GMT
Nomad
Go for it.
Whatever standard you play in, there is nothing to beat an afternoon out in the sunshine playing a game with a bunch of good blokes around you and then a few cooloing beers in the village pub to round the day off.
I played until I was in my 40' sand then developed a form of motor neurone disease which has wasted my leg muscles so I can barely walk 50 yards, let alone play cricket. I played rugby and cricket locally and have the fondest memories of both.
Those people who pack up in their prime or who fail to turn up when selected make me mad. You will have a long time in your armchair, so do what you can while you can. You will never regret the time spent with like minded blokes playing this great game.
Report JimmyK December 8, 2009 2:52 PM GMT
wise words overboard.

work on ur fielding as that will always endear yourself to team mates and learn a decent forward defence and you will be fine, the idea on tennis balls is good. I play at a very good standard but still practice predominantly with tennis balls as it teaches you good technique and for a newbie can avoid bruises!
Report fronter December 8, 2009 6:52 PM GMT
Yes played against a few Shropshire teams in my time - Newport
Report bushy December 8, 2009 7:47 PM GMT
Definitely possible, and I'd definitely advise the village route. If you can basically commit to playing most weekends that should probably get you a spot in many teams; best to find out from the skipper what the ethos is and what kinds of games they play (declaration games rather than limited overs tend to make it easier to give everyone a game - as in a top 7 batting position or a few overs as a minimum).

If you are basically decent at sport - you say you have fast eyes - consider learning how to keep wicket - it keeps you very involved.
Report smeagors December 8, 2009 10:06 PM GMT
alot of teams will love you purely for being fit :^0
Report RockMonkey December 8, 2009 11:17 PM GMT
Go for it-can't do any harm & best case scenario you could turn out to be another Jack Iverson
Report jinx December 9, 2009 12:02 AM GMT
if you are reasonably fit and have fair to good hand eye coordination,get down to as many net session during the winter as you can find(different teams)
decide which teams help the younger or indead newer players the most.
keep your options open and just enjoy the sessions.
never worry about how bad you feel you are (skippers are always desperate for 11 bodies on a sat or sun)
work on your fielding (lots of players start out just enjoying the game every week in the field and skippers love them)
find two or three players that will have extra nets with you (more bowling and batting the better )
get 3-4 players hire a bowling machine for a couple of hours (only around £20 per hour between you )
fantastic practice.
enjoy another 20 or so years cricket
good luck mate
fanastic game to watch and play.
Report jinx December 9, 2009 12:03 AM GMT
indeed .........not indead
lol
Report carlos monzon December 9, 2009 1:18 AM GMT
dnt waste ur time mate. i was 30 wen i started gambling on the sport and im still a load of sh1te at it. god help yah if ur playing the sport
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com