Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
JimmyK
17 Nov 09 09:23
| Topic/replies: 590 | Blogger: JimmyK's blog
when they are batting?

What a terrible turn out from the worlds most passionate supporters.
Pause Switch to Standard View Do Indian cricket fans only turn...
Show More
Report anyother November 17, 2009 9:31 AM GMT
been like this for a long time .. they are one day worshippers ..
Report sportsnut November 17, 2009 11:18 AM GMT
No one cares about test cricket in India. It is the most boring format. I live in India and have not followed a single minute of the game. Can't fathom how anyone can afford to spend several days watching a test match. I would'nt watch a test match even if someone paid me to do so.
Report Johnny Fontaine November 17, 2009 11:28 AM GMT
Not much of a sportsnut then ?:|
Report sportsnut November 17, 2009 11:29 AM GMT
sportsnut does not necessarily mean cricketnut.
Report West Coast Eagles November 17, 2009 11:33 AM GMT
I still agree as a cricket fan, no doubt about it test cricket has lost it shine for me.

In order of preference T20 ODI Test match cricket.

A pet of mine in test cricket, is teams playing out a draw. Maybe they should have a bowl off or something to decide a winner. The point of test cricket is to try to win games, not sit back and play for the draw. (both teams)
Report bigjoe November 17, 2009 5:41 PM GMT
they got work to do ... they can afford to pop in for an hour or two during test matches....most dont have cushy 9-5 , salaried jobs where they can throw in the odd sickies or book a week off when tests are on ;)
Report Birchola November 17, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
A pet of mine in test cricket, is teams playing out a draw. Maybe they should have a bowl off or something to decide a winner. The point of test cricket is to try to win games, not sit back and play for the draw. (both teams)

You cant have a bowl off in test cricket! A team playing out a draw under immense pressure is a skilled attribute of this format.

The point of the draw is so a team can have a target to play for if victory is mathematically beyond them.
Report dougydougy. November 17, 2009 10:58 PM GMT
again we see the modern trait of short attention spans, anyone who thinks t20 is a better game than test match cricket is an idiot imo
Report spassky November 18, 2009 1:26 AM GMT
wrong thread, dougy, though i agree with you. The reason the Indian cricket fans don't turn up might be to do with their facking boring pitches. Forty years of experience has taught them that they are going to get three wickets a day. Who wants to watch that ? I used to go to the Oval but never again. Time to go back to uncovered pitches, imo.
Report mittheimp November 18, 2009 5:00 AM GMT
the world test championship - with 5 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for lose - would make a big difference. As would employing an ICC pitch adjudicator, that has powers to penalise and instruct groundsman...

will this ever happen though?

doubt it!
Report biggestKINGKONG November 25, 2009 7:10 AM GMT
Report michael knight November 25, 2009 11:18 AM GMT
Yes the Kanpur test has been well attended so far.

Don't know what happened in Ahmedabad - maybe the Gujjus were too tight to spend money on a ticket :)
Report Lix November 25, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
Mitt- 5 pts for a win and 1 per draw would only encourage sides to be more cautious imo. The fear of losing and gifting a rival 5 pts would overcome any positive intentions imo.

same as in Rugby if you made a try worth 10 pts. There would simply be more penalties and LESS trys as teams did everything they could to stop the other side scoring.#

All imo of course :)
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 11:28 AM GMT
has to be seeding system.... if no8 ranked beats no1 side they should get 10 points for a win .. 5 for draw.... if the no1 side beats a no8 ranked side, they should get 2 points for win..1 dfor draw :D
Report Lix November 25, 2009 11:37 AM GMT
all teams should play for a series trophy (ashes, border-gavaskar etc...) If the series is drawn it remains with the holders etc...

To be test cricket world champions, you need to hold all the trophies at once . This would be a bit like the Grand Slam in the 6 nations with no overall champion in many years but a very special achievement for any side that could pull it off e.g. WI in the 80s and Aus 90s , 2000s.
Report Lix November 25, 2009 11:41 AM GMT
Cricket is a unique and idiosynchratic game. I think it should have an unusual trophy system like this :)
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:12 PM GMT
that would only work if the amount of games for the trophies were the same :(

ashes is 5 matches.. border gavaskar only 3,, other series only 3 games or even 2 :(
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:12 PM GMT
sorry border/ gavaskar is 4 not 3 :)
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:29 PM GMT
why would the series length matter?
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:31 PM GMT
cos there are more permutations in winning a 5 match series compared to a 2 or 3 match series :(

Aussies usually play 2 tests at home against lanka.. yet 5 against england ..... surely better to make all series 4 matches :)
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:34 PM GMT
still makes no differnce to my system.
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:37 PM GMT
and means we can keep the current tours programme. just gives everyone a boxing style 'undisputed championship' to aim for.
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:43 PM GMT
oh ok :(

not the worse idea i guess :)

I still think best way forward is to have a two tier devision system.

Start it in 2011 .. the top 4 in rankings at end of 2010 go into premier league..next 4 and the minnows go into a lower league.

The premier teams play the other 3 teams in 6 x 3 test series during the year.. 3 at home, 3 away :)

Bring in relegation and promotion .. bobs yer uncle .. job done :D
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:45 PM GMT
could also break my system down like the six nations triple crown to give an official 'Asian champ' for the side that holds all the series trophies between SL/India/Pak and bangladesh :)
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:47 PM GMT
promotion and relegation would likely mean no ashes, no Aus/NZ, no India/Pak. It would be awful!
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:47 PM GMT
so by your calcualtions lix.. who would be the leading contender at the moment..i guess it has to be the injuns.. i think they hold all the bi lateral trophies apart from against saffers ;)
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:50 PM GMT
there would be no official champ right now, thats the beauty of it. would take a very special side to unify all the 'belts' as it were.

The rankings can still be used and SA can still can themselves the No 1 ranked side in the world but losing to Aus at home means they aint never gonna be greats.
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:51 PM GMT
india would be handily placed under my system Joe.

Need to beat SL and SA :)

greatness beckons!
Report bigjoe November 25, 2009 12:58 PM GMT
lanka nearly done... safers to folw latethis year.that should be full house then :D
Report Lix November 25, 2009 12:59 PM GMT
what was the score last time vs Pak?
Report Lix November 25, 2009 1:03 PM GMT
ah found it. 1-0 India
Report Green Beard November 25, 2009 1:32 PM GMT
they should ditch test cricket, and instead called it a test series, where they play 5 ODI's on 5 consecutive days, and if its a draw after that, they play a T20 the next day
Report brentford November 25, 2009 2:05 PM GMT
or introduce 'beard roulette' where anyone with either red or green in the title gets blown up in front of a studio audience
Report chazer November 25, 2009 5:25 PM GMT
:x
Report Lix December 7, 2009 6:55 PM GMT
No SA home test series!

The last trophy India need to become my unofficial World Champs!

shame on the BCCI
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com