Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
michael knight
05 Dec 09 09:11
| Topic/replies: 2,918 | Blogger: michael knight's blog
Yes hardly a huge name but he's looked good against Pakistan and after Bond he'd NZ's best seamer. With his place cemented in the national side surely his mrs could have waited another year or 3.

Iain O'Brien, the New Zealand fast bowler, will retire from international cricket at the end of the Test series against Pakistan to move to the UK to be with his wife and play for Middlesex.

O'Brien said the decision had been a tough one to make but that his personal circumstances were such that he could no longer keep his national commitments. "My wife lives and works in the UK and my immediate future is there," O'Brien said. "Since we married, two and a half years ago, we have spent only nine months together. I am 33 years old and my main focus now is becoming a 'proper' husband, starting a family, settling down and securing my future in that country. Cricket has been my number one; I've placed it in front of everything else. It's now time to put Rosie first and start a family. I intend to keep playing the game I love in the UK, and have an opportunity to finish my career with Middlesex county.

http://www.cricinfo.com/nzvpak2009/content/current/story/438207.html
Pause Switch to Standard View Iain O'Brien to retire from...
Show More
Report brentford December 5, 2009 9:13 AM GMT
was about to voice genuine dissapointment until I realised he'd signed for Middx..

if his heart is in it that's a pretty good signing.
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 9:56 AM GMT
a very likeable guy.

I was at Christchurch when the yplayed oz in 2005.

NZ were 434 all out and had Oz at 140 odd for 6. Then Katich and Gichrist both smashed hundreds to end up 433 all out.

IOB was fielding in front of me for most of the afternoon and was getting so much stick from his own fans. He took it all on the chin and stayed very gracious despite some pretty rough stick.

A very good friend of mine plays with him domestically in NZ and says he is a very nice guy.

Good luck to him for the rest of his career.
Report Innocent Bystander December 5, 2009 10:24 AM GMT
His blog is excellent. A very honest account from what seems like a very honest player. In this day and age of players scrabbling for the dirty T20 ruppee, its nice that he puts his family first

Wish him all the best
Report Deadly Earnest December 5, 2009 10:51 AM GMT
It is a shame to see any player feeling the need to make himself unavailable for international cricket, I can't support someone doing that for a sheila, but that is me.

Good bowler in certain circumstances this bloke, has great stamina and he will leave a little bit of a hole that perhaps can be filled by Tim Southee, though his attributes are very different.
Report d13phe December 5, 2009 10:53 AM GMT
good honest test cricketer

gives it his all for his country every time he steps out on the pitch

got to admire that and fair play on moving to england, he probably got sick of the rain
Report mittheimp December 5, 2009 11:18 AM GMT
surely his wife could move to NZ ffs! Whats her job thats so important? I cant think of many, in fact any, that is more important than an international cricketer!!!!!
Report Innocent Bystander December 5, 2009 11:22 AM GMT
Think we are looking at this the wrong way. At the end of the day, cricketer is just a job now, and like most jobs work-life balance becoming more and more a consideration. Rose tinted views of gentleman players long gone now
Report mittheimp December 5, 2009 11:24 AM GMT
its not just a job!

Working in a bank, a call center or being a teacher is just a job.

Being an international cricketer is a dream for thousands of people.

They tend to forget that!
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 11:24 AM GMT
nurse? doctor? firewoman? policewoman?

just a few options that IOB may see as more realistic if it is in fact about her 'job'. Did he not meet her over here?

IOB knows that he is not Sir Richard Hadlee. He knows where he fits into the 'grats' of the game and want to put his wife's happiness first before the game. Fair play to him.
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
mit, he is 33 and he has done his dream. What has he got left in the game, 1/2 years maximum? Then he has another 40/50 or 60 years on the planet.

I, for one, respect his decision and wish him all the best.
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
mit are you a lincoln fan?
Report mittheimp December 5, 2009 11:27 AM GMT
yes
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 11:28 AM GMT
the xmas market is doing my head in!
Report mittheimp December 5, 2009 11:29 AM GMT
fortunately im 8,000 miles away :)
Report JimmyK December 5, 2009 11:40 AM GMT
whereabouts mate?
Report WESTBARS_SPIREITE December 5, 2009 8:03 PM GMT
He's a top bloke.

Played against him in the Chesterfield midweek league the other year on a Wednesday night in the**ing rain!
Report timbo86 December 5, 2009 9:58 PM GMT
He's actually from matlock in derbyshire pretty sure thats right
Report stephaniebot December 5, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
Think it will become a growing problem.

Kyle McCallan retired from international Irish crciket earlier this week because he would have needed to commit to approx 150 days away next year from his job, and wife, and decided that at 34 that was too much

I know we will miss him
Report Innocent Bystander December 6, 2009 3:45 PM GMT
Looks like Shane Bond may follow him into the sunset :0

http://www.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/story/438324.html
Report michael knight December 6, 2009 4:25 PM GMT
Okay in hindsight maybe I was a bit harsh.

I guess playing for NZ wont make you a millionaire and at his age it's understanable why he would want to put his family first.

Still a shame though because he's looked good against Pakistan and is a real gutsy cricketer.
Report WESTBARS_SPIREITE December 6, 2009 7:07 PM GMT
He lives in Matlock yes. He's played for various small clubs in Derbyshire.
Report timbo86 December 6, 2009 7:36 PM GMT
thought that was right
Report superJay December 6, 2009 10:19 PM GMT
JimmyK 05 Dec 12:25

mit, he is 33 and he has done his dream. What has he got left in the game, 1/2 years maximum? Then he has another 40/50 or 60 years on the planet.

I, for one, respect his decision and wish him all the best.

amazing how this sentiment is never extended to the cricketers who hail from the indian subcontinent.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com