Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Innocent Bystander
24 Nov 09 14:03
| Topic/replies: 3,297 | Blogger: Innocent Bystander's blog
OK, so boards are interfering with groundsmen and instructing them to produce wickets that last at least 5 days, sometimes 10, cos their TV contracts stipulate that TV will only pay for the amount of cricket played. So if a test is over in 3 days, the TV boys will only pay for 3 days.

Well heres a solution. If a test is over before the end of day 3 or 4, how about a one day or 2020 game is scheduled for the day(s) that was missed? Therefore TV can get its full 5 days of cricket, and groundsmen can produce wickets that give bowlers a chance. After all, ODI's happened when rain killed an Ashes test and the authorities wanted some cricket to sell rather than a dead day of test cricket

or is this too radical thinking for the powers that be?
Pause Switch to Standard View Suggestion over flat pitches
Show More
Report good value losers November 24, 2009 2:12 PM GMT
players may not be too happy, and what teams for the fill in fixture? the same teams? test squads are quite different from odi and t20 squads.
Report Lori November 24, 2009 2:13 PM GMT
Have 3 innings and if the third isn't completed the result is whoever was winning after 2 :|
Report good value losers November 24, 2009 2:15 PM GMT
draw layers whingeing NAP ;)
Report bigjoe November 24, 2009 2:24 PM GMT
Funny how greentops that produce 3 day results are seen as test cricket when in reality they are lotteries that make average bowling look great and great batsmen look average :(

Test cricket is test cricket for a reason.. its supposed to be a test..a 5 day test of mental strentgh on a flat pitch is still a challenge :)
Report fundamentalist November 24, 2009 2:27 PM GMT
you prefer the toss orientated decks where one side cant win after toss?
Report Jan1ne November 24, 2009 2:27 PM GMT
why didn't uncovered pitches make the great batsmen of the past look average?

oh i see, you're just taking rubbish as usual
Report malheureusement November 24, 2009 2:28 PM GMT
its supposed to be an equal test of bat and ball - both 3 day greentops and 5 day batsmens paradise are neither.
Report Green Beard November 24, 2009 2:32 PM GMT
i like aussie pitches

plenty of pace bounce and carry, and normall show wear after 5 days, but the best batsmen can shine aswell in those situations

english pitches are good too

its just the subcontinent which seem almost unable to produce fair wickets . . . i think countries should have about 25-30% test draw average
Report bigjoe November 24, 2009 2:33 PM GMT
Funda.. When IB saw the pitch this morning he said" look at those cracks.. yummy" :0

I assume he liked the groundsman at 3.30 am .. but for some reason he now thinks its a flat track that may result in boring match :(

He either cannot read a pitch.... or he changes his mind about the pitch depending on how well the injuns do on it :0

Toss is just as important on greentops as it is on flatter pitches.... fact is test cricket has always seen a draw as a proper result.... if we had each test played on a greentop it would also get boring as the balance is too much in bowlers favour.,,,on flat tracks the balance is in batters favour .. the TEST is for those bowlers to excel and win tests on flat pitches... the TEST for batsmen is if they cannot win it.. then they must try their damnest to draw it.

20/20 has spoilt people.. they want fast results ... let test cricket remain just that.. a TEST on any pitch :)
Report Lix November 24, 2009 2:43 PM GMT
no probs with having the odd flat deck it just seems as though most pitches worldwide are like this now. something must be done to redress the balance. quite a shame the ICC dont see anything wrong with some of the boring shirtfronts that are killing the game.
Report fundamentalist November 24, 2009 2:47 PM GMT
as you know BJ im not a t20 fan at all (either watching or punting). for me i hate this sort of pitch for test matches, as it was impossible to see the first inns sub 400 which makes it almost certain the team losing the toss cant win the match. admittedly not helped by the selection the 2 teams made with them both gearing their sides to winning the toss (especially SL)

at the end of the day a good cricket wicket should have something for the quicks, the spinners and the batters, ideally with pace and bounce and provide as fair a competition between bat and ball as possible, which clearly isnt the case here.

at best its gonna be a road for 2-3 days and then break up bringing the spinners more into the game, making winning the toss huge and as a betting medium (match odds at least) its pretty much a coin flip between whether the pitch breaks up enough or not - not ideal imo

the real issue for me with subcontinent pitches is the lack of pace and bounce - and it has been proven in the past that they can offer those conditions if they desire, just they havent chosen to
Report fundamentalist November 24, 2009 2:48 PM GMT
btw im not singling out just india decks here, Lords is probably the biggest culprit of this in the world
Report Lix November 24, 2009 2:53 PM GMT
Isnt it counter productive for the TV companies anyway? i.e. boring tests = less viewers and thus less advertising revenue.

In England we tend to produce flattish pitches at the request of the host ground rather than Sky or whoever as ticket sales and hospitality make up a massive part of the grounds yearly turnover and they sell out most of the time

I'd imagine this isnt the case in India/Pak which makes it even more strange they want games going the distance.
Report BigMig November 24, 2009 3:22 PM GMT
I remember on England's 1995-96 tour of South Africa when the Cape Town Test finished early - and Ray Illingworth organised a one-day match to satisfy TV, sponsors etc and for extra practice.

The players went ballistic. They thought they had 'earned' a day or two off by losing the Test so quickly!
Report michael knight November 24, 2009 3:28 PM GMT
Let the bowling side have a new ball every 50 overs. (or at least reduce it from 80)
Report Lori November 24, 2009 3:35 PM GMT
I think in the pre T20 days people watching this turgid guff had a nagging thought at the back of their minds that "There must be some better way of doing this"

When it's like this, it's like watching the world noughts and crosses championships rather than watching a Test of anything other than my patience :|
Report GrimReaper November 24, 2009 4:00 PM GMT
I was at that match, Miggers....my first overseas tour. Lost the series in Cape Town, then watched Western Province B roll England over 2 days later :_|
Report good value losers November 24, 2009 4:04 PM GMT
we had this debate before and i said then and i say again that i feel part of the "problem", if indeed that is what it is, is because of the decline in abilities of bowlers in the art of taking wickets. so much bowling now just seems to be about bowling the ball vaguely in the direction of the batsman and see what happens - there seems to be very little rhyme or reason behind it. that works fine on helpful pitches but you're fcked on a flat track. stuart broad is the prime example to me of this phenomenon.

some may say look at how murali struggled but i'd have to say he is barely 50% of the bowler he used to be. i would've backed the murali of 10 years ago to have made a pretty decent fist of bowling india out.

the wide variety of conditions encountered in different parts of the world is part of the appeal of cricket. otherwise you might as well just play it all on astroturf in domes.
Report Lori November 24, 2009 4:07 PM GMT
Astroturf in domes would be a good solution actually.
Report Lix November 24, 2009 4:23 PM GMT
I've heard many comms and pundits say Stuart Broad has an excellent cricket brain!
Report good value losers November 24, 2009 4:28 PM GMT
:D that's why i never have the sound on. i prefer to watch and form my own opinion right or wrong, unpolluted by the witterings of others.
Report scliffor November 24, 2009 7:40 PM GMT
I would humbly suggest that any test which after five days full play is not even near a result has been played on a pitch that is too flat. One of the worst grounds for this lately has been Lords
Report anyother November 24, 2009 7:43 PM GMT
i think most on here have acknowledged that fact ..
Report Mushtaq November 25, 2009 5:23 AM GMT
Change the TV contracts.

I can't believe that a game that is an inevitable draw from about day 3 (or earlier?) is more valuable to broadcasters that a cliffhanger finishing on day 3. Exciting, nailbiting cricket sends viewing figures through the roof.
Report oddduck November 25, 2009 11:57 AM GMT
think its more due to the potential advertising slots lost on day 4/5
Report mafeking November 25, 2009 12:03 PM GMT
how about making the groundsman and the chief executive of the relevant ground face an over each from the fastest bowler on show with no protective equipment allowed ? soon get some fairer wickets i suspect. :p
Report bigjoe November 26, 2009 9:05 AM GMT
what an irrisponsible decision by Dhoni to enforce the follow on :( :(

Does he not realise that the plan is always to ensure test goes 5 days for TV and Advertising .... he has now jeopardised that plan cos there is a possibility this game could be over in 4 days :(

How can he get it so wrong.... or is it the conspiracy theorists that have got it wrong ;)
Report anyother November 26, 2009 2:54 PM GMT
exactly bj .. should be hung drawn and quartered imo .. :D
Report bigjoe November 26, 2009 3:14 PM GMT
Yep BCCI will not be amused :(
Report michael knight December 5, 2009 7:53 AM GMT
BCCI seething - last test over in 4 days. This test over by lunch day 5 at the latest.

Someone should remind the Injun team that the orders are 'to kill test cricket' so they should play accordingly.
Report bigpoppapump December 5, 2009 8:09 PM GMT
ar5e about face logic from the betfair forum? has this ever happened before?

charge the TV murdochopoly by the match.

problem goes away...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com